The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Nice! I'm sick of bending down to play with my modular which is on a temporary table. Can't really justify the space, but I'm considering a cheapo Ikea desk such as this.

How you finding the Soundcraft? I'm at the crossroads now, and it's either upgrade my Steinberg MR816 to a Apollo and use the Steinberg as an ADAT expansion.

I'm currently sub-mixing through a Roland MX-1 using the SPDIF, and it's nice but I'm lusting after another 19U rack. Arrrrggghh. Choices.
Cheap Ikea desk can't go wrong. I like the compactness of the EFX8 and the EQ is nice enough but the FX seem light and limited compared to using good VST effects. I was quite surprised being Lexicon but is obviously only designed to add a little something to live performances and not for production. For form factor it's a good compact desktop size. I also got an M8 very cheaply which is quite a bit bigger but have yet to try to out yet. I need to get myself a dedicated FX rack as well.

I was at the stage a while ago having where I wanted more inputs and have 2x Roland UA101's using ASIO4all but wanted to get out of the box and have that live mixer feel again.

The MX-1 looks interesting and very capable.
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Nice! I'm sick of bending down to play with my modular which is on a temporary table. Can't really justify the space, but I'm considering a cheapo Ikea desk such as this.
Normal tables suck for me, I'm 6'3" and bending over to patch is just the right angle to make my back unhappy. I picked on of these up for my modular along with a work stool. The perfect height to patch with standing or seated.

Amazon.com: Odyssey ATT Dj Truss Table: Musical Instruments
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
You mean until next week dude. I don’t know who you’re trying to kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
You haven't seen the damage I've been doing in the EMI&EMP March New Gear thread!
God dammit...

Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'm sorry, but this one was cheap enough that passing this deal up would have been stupid.

Old 9th March 2018
Quote:
Probably going to be my last module purchase until...
You understand that it's pretty much a given you'll drop a grand in the next week every time you say something like this, right?
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
You understand that it's pretty much a given you'll drop a grand in the next week every time you say something like this, right?
Old 10th March 2018

Got some more Pittsburgh stuff today.

Dual VCA, ADSR & LPG.

My little case is coming along, it's so much fun.
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

I needed a buffered multiple and went with Takaab. Only 30.- Euro incl. shipping appeared to be a bargain.
They are offering their gear on ebay and they are kinda new, so i thought it a good idea to report the experience.

The delivery came from Thailand and took like 3 weeks, although for the most part it was in german customs (12 days).

Ribbon cable and screws were included, packaging was fine. No red stripe shenannigans. Module works as expected.

All good
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-img_0884.jpg  
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Well, I did it and started building out a percussion skiff. As I thought, some random Grids patterns + Hat808 == total Skinny Puppy.

Also picked up that new, 8hp, Doepfer stereo mixer. I'll post pictures of the skiff when I get it built out.
Old 14th March 2018
Picked up the Malekko Varigate 4+ the other day and wow! I don't know why I didn't get one sooner! I definitely want another one, and may even give up my Intellijel Metropolis for a couple more (one to use as 4 gates for my two Erica Pico Drums, and the other two, to sequence 4 voices with CV/Gate.)

Instead of a photo of the module, I thought I'd share a video instead; because we all know what these modules look like, wouldn't you rather see these modules in context of how they are being used?

Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Picked up the Malekko Varigate 4+ the other day and wow! I don't know why I didn't get one sooner! I definitely want another one, and may even give up my Intellijel Metropolis for a couple more (one to use as 4 gates for my two Erica Pico Drums, and the other two, to sequence 4 voices with CV/Gate.)

Instead of a photo of the module, I thought I'd share a video instead; because we all know what these modules look like, wouldn't you rather see these modules in context of how they are being used?

I don't know if I'd give up my Metro, but completely agree with the Varigate 4+. I'm using it much more than I'd thought with being able to to clock division on a per channel basis.
Old 15th March 2018

not modular gear...yet...
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Another one of those cases where it was just too cheap to pass up.

Old 15th March 2018
Semi boring purchases, but one of my local stores is getting out of modular. They are having a sale on unsold stock, so I finished my Roland and AJH collection.
Picked up a Mini Mod VCO, a cascading VCA, and a Roland 540 ADSR.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another one of those cases where it was just too cheap to pass up.

The Super Saw on that one alone justifies the cost.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Semi boring purchases, but one of my local stores is getting out of modular. They are having a sale on unsold stock, so I finished my Roland and AJH collection.
Picked up a Mini Mod VCO, a cascading VCA, and a Roland 540 ADSR.
A local store that stocks euro modules? Wow.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Please share your thoughts on the Doepfer....or point me towards a good demo
I have a feeling this one is a killer for its price. Hard to find a good demo though.....
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Please share your thoughts on the Doepfer....or point me towards a good demo
I have a feeling this one is a killer for its price. Hard to find a good demo though.....
The Raul's demo isn't too bad. I actually meant to buy this module ages ago, but got the A-137-2 by mistake (which is basically just another sawtooth animator). It'll probably be awesome like everything else Doepfer does. I'll let you know when I get it how much fun it is/isn't.
Old 15th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
/spolied.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The Raul's demo isn't too bad. I actually meant to buy this module ages ago, but got the A-137-2 by mistake (which is basically just another sawtooth animator). It'll probably be awesome like everything else Doepfer does. I'll let you know when I get it how much fun it is/isn't.
Thanks. The Raul demo’s didn’t do it for me btw.
Old 15th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Well, 1hr 20 minute drive away.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
My shop is only 15m away.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

I have 30 minutes to Schneiders Laden Berlin on weekdays and approx. an hour to Music Store in Cologne when i am not working.

Still i order most stuff online as a principle. Its too easy to lose control.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Standing there in a store full of it must take incredible restraint.
Old 16th March 2018
Funny though, I went to the store because they were selling unsold stock and 'getting out of Eurorack'. They only ever had a full Roland 500 series on display, although they at some point they must have had Mutable, SE Electronics, AJH and Dreadbox, as those are the items in the sale.
Actually Elevator Sound in Bristol is closer to me. It's a shoe cupboard of a store, although they have a wall of Eurorack. If I would say anything about stores and temptations......
Pretty much all of the UK stores sell at full retail (in store). You can get deals online, and the online only outlets are cheaper too.
Pretty much all the UK stores carry only the 'usual suspects' in stock.
With several Eurorack cases already full, it's a super interesting, or left field module that tempts me most. Walking in to a store with racks of Dixies, Tip Top One's and SE filters doesn't tempt me, I already have everything in that regard I want.

It's the more expensive Random Source, Catalyst or 1010 Music modules that tempt me most.... and you probably won't find those anywhere in a bricks and mortar store here.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Care to elaborate, Chris?
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Finally racked some of my new modules yesterday. Shapeshifter + A-137-1 + Rainmaker =

Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The Super Saw on that one alone justifies the cost.
Good gawd, the Twin Waves is mean! I LOVE IT!!!
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Chrisso turned me on to this, so I had to run out and get one. Hopefully I can restrain myself enough to start saving for the Catalyst modules next.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search