The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
VCV Rack: Virtual Eurorack environment (free download)
Old 11th September 2017
VCV Rack: Virtual Eurorack environment (free download)

This just in:
Quote:
VCV Rack is the engine powering VCV modules. Add modules, connect cables, edit parameters, and save/load patches. Create generative patches with your mouse, perform with your MIDI keyboard controller, or connect it to your favorite DAW using the Rack Bridge VST/AU plugin (coming soon). In Rack, control voltages and audio signals are equivalent, so you can modulate parameters with sonic-range VCOs to create customizable FM synths or chaotic wave-shaping oscillators. If you already own a modular synthesizer, you can enhance your setup with an audio interface supporting CV signals (see [1] [2]) or a CV-MIDI-CV interface module with Rack's CV Interface (coming soon).
VCV Rack: Virtual Eurorack environment (free download)-vcv-rack.jpg
Initial reports indicate this works fine, perhaps a few bugs need ironing out, currently the macOS 10.11.6 doesn't work but the developer will fix it today, it's a bit CPU heavy but this is V1 ... just released... And you can design your own modules. This seems perfect for testing out some new combination before buying (once there's more modules). Or for educational purposes. And there's an announcement of a plugin, so this could perhaps work itself up to a functioning, expanding synth plugin for our DAWs. A possible competitor to Softube Modular? I don't know. Or hardware? Maybe that's not the point.

All in all... very impressive I think!

Download links in here
Attached Thumbnails
VCV Rack: Virtual Eurorack environment (free download)-vcv-rack.jpg  
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Maniac

For folks who don't have access to eurorack like myself, this is a godsend. A good place to start learning or testing out modules before you finally make that decision. Dev seems very passionate about it. Hope the software develops into something good.
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Maniac

I have been using it for a few days now and it's been a lot of fun. Definitively a really useful thing for me, as I don't want to dive (for now ...) in eurorack addiction ...
I don't know if the M.I modules sound like the real things but they sound good enough for me.
I managed to render this insanity a few days ago : https://ophrescenz.bandcamp.com/track/squealings, which is totally not interesting musically but was a funny noodling anyway ...
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Nut

Totally loving this right now. It's alive I tell you, ALIVE!!!

(Honestly though, that's a hell of a lot of virtual modular for free).
Old 23rd September 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

Wow! Need to try that thing right now.
Do I finally get a software version of my Clouds ?
Old 23rd September 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

Does anybody know how to operate the mode buttons in the Texture Synthesizer (aka Clouds) or the edit button in the Macro Oscillator (aka Braids)?
The link to the manual on Github does not show anything but a link pointing to itself...

Other than that, it's fantastic!!
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Does anybody know how to operate the mode buttons in the Texture Synthesizer (aka Clouds) or the edit button in the Macro Oscillator (aka Braids)?
The link to the manual on Github does not show anything but a link pointing to itself...

Other than that, it's fantastic!!
I was thinking the same thing. I think some of the modules are not a 100% done. Hope the community keeps updating it. Can't wait!
Old 23rd September 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspipe View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I think some of the modules are not a 100% done. Hope the community keeps updating it. Can't wait!
I took a brief look at the VCVRack-source code of Clouds on GitHub and it does not support the other modes yet.
The background bitmap already includes the icons, though.

Last edited by RiF; 23rd September 2017 at 03:41 PM..
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

This is great for non modular uses as well as existing modular users who want to play around with modules they may not own yet. I wonder if it'll gain enough traction to support other, non-open source modules at some point in the future.
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

I tried it.
It crashed on me after 5 minutes, but what i heared was so-so.
Sounds like 90's VA territory, meaning pretty lightweight and soulless algorithms.
Good for some stuff, but not the same as the real thing.
Old 23rd September 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

BTW, the Mutable Instruments software modules have the very same code (which is open source) as the Eurorack modules.
Old 1st October 2017
Lives for gear

No VST support...what does this mean, exactly? I get that it won't load into the FX bin of a DAW, but what about MIDI routing software like Bome?

Or MIDI routing hardware like the Mio-10, into a standalone PC and back, via MIDI or audio?

How big a CPU hit we talking about here? E4 used to revolve around an I7 in the TR, but since the CR came up w newer I7s for audio and video, we've been using the older TR I7 for softsynths and sims. It has a Core Duo support machine as well.

How well is this going to run on a Win7 I7? A Win 7 Core Duo?

Hell, if I have to, I'll mic a speaker into DAW. How does it sound?

See...EuroCrack looks like more than a financial dependancy to me. There's a massive time investment as well. To the anti-addicted world, they just don't see a difference between high dollar coke and home brew meth...I'm not sure I do either.

There's a Fishman Triple Play and an Akai MPK261 and several Nano's here now, feeding a 12 hardware synth and drums rig, plus 50 softsynths now...

Will VCV Rack lead me to stick up gas stations and liquor stores?

"Hi, my name is JT and people tell me I have a problem..."

;-)
Old 1st October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
How well is this going to run on a Win7 I7? A Win 7 Core Duo?
Running fine on this Win7 I7, as long as I don't go for the spectacular, racks upon racks of the stuff. It is heavy going though. I'm only packing 4GB of RAM though, that could be a thing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Hell, if I have to, I'll mic a speaker into DAW. How does it sound?
Sounds fine to me. Enough detail on the output to keep me interested, lots of nuance and colour to be found out of the modules. I'm digging it.
Old 1st October 2017
A guy called Autodafe just made a bunch of modules for VCV

Here's the link:
http://www.autodafe.net/virtual-inst...k-modules.html
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibreman View Post
Running fine on this Win7 I7, as long as I don't go for the spectacular, racks upon racks of the stuff. It is heavy going though. I'm only packing 4GB of RAM though, that could be a thing too.

Sounds fine to me. Enough detail on the output to keep me interested, lots of nuance and colour to be found out of the modules. I'm digging it.
Good deal!

I d/l-ed it, ran the executable from the unpacked zip file on a Win 7 Core Duo. It opened, then errored off. It was worth a shot, but next, I'll read the manual.

:-)

I just brought up the second Midi Slave in a growing softsynth farm. It takes Midi from DAW on the synth suite I7 just fine, and comes back via SPDIF, so...automation looks the sticky point, for now.
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

Here's the link:
VCV Rack Modules - Autodafe.net
Those look pretty kewl, I d/l-ed them too. A whole bank of sequencers?

Well, yeah!
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Maniac

More modules from Mr. Martin Leuders.

https://github.com/martin-lueders/ML...ases/tag/0.3.2

Finally, a quantizer!
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

Here's the link:
VCV Rack Modules - Autodafe.net
These look great, but seem to require you to make an account to download?

Anyone know if this is legit? seems to be.
Old 3rd October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
These look great, but seem to require you to make an account to download?
You have to log into his online store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Anyone know if this is legit? seems to be.
Yes, it's legit. There's a Blank Panel you can buy for 5euros to support him, making free software.

Here's the filter module:
Old 3rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Reptil - I did download them.. and the ML ones. Damn nice additions to VCV rack!!
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

i've only been running this on my macbook pro (retina late 2013) and while i do like it, i find it's kind of a cpu hog. even with a basic patch it makes the laptop run stupid hot, fans blowing all the time pretty much. i never really have issues, not even in summer, running big ableton sessions with lots of plugins or polyphonic sampler patches etc. is it just that my mbp is a bit old or do you guys also have similar experiences?
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
i've only been running this on my macbook pro (retina late 2013) and while i do like it, i find it's kind of a cpu hog. even with a basic patch it makes the laptop run stupid hot, fans blowing all the time pretty much. i never really have issues, not even in summer, running big ableton sessions with lots of plugins or polyphonic sampler patches etc. is it just that my mbp is a bit old or do you guys also have similar experiences?
A basic patch usually eats up 40% of my cpu on my I3 laptop. On my I5 desktop, I'm able to make more complicated patches. It seems to be more efficient than softube modular.
Old 1st November 2017
(FM)Erides
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

For those not paying attention.. there's already a BUNCH of 3rd party modules out for VCV.

Autodafe (the guy who made the FM osc above) created a site for VCV stuff

3rd Party Modules | Switched On Rack - Info & Resources for VCV Rack
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Guru

I just played with this a little bit last night on my work computer. I didn't download the Mutable or Befaco modules, but with the basic modules, I had a pretty cool little Krell kind of thing going pretty quickly. The way you can switch the oscillators from digital to analog is pretty cool, too. It was pretty neat being able to just slap together twelve LFO's, a pair of oscillators, and a filter, and have something usable in a few moments.
Old 1st November 2017
thanks for the heads-up
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
Same here on my late-2014 MacBook Pro, fans blowing all the time. Can start with basic patches but it starts to drain the CPU power very quickly.

I guess, being an open source, a free software it's not so well optimised to run efficiently...

Too bad because it's really cool piece of software :/
Old 2nd November 2017
An (open frame) modular is CPU heavy I suppose. You're inserting and running algos that influence each other in real time.
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Works fine on my i5 Win7 laptop, so far. The sound has dropped a couple of times, even though the program didn't actually hang. A quick close and restart fixed it.

The e340 sounds pretty great, BTW.

I haven't yet been able to get it to work using a midi keyboard, though. I've tried it patched direct to the e340, and through the Befaco Attenuverter, and no luck so far.

I'll play with it more later.

Great program, especially for free. I'll buy a blank module or two to help the guy.
Old 4th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Works fine on my i5 Win7 laptop, so far. The sound has dropped a couple of times, even though the program didn't actually hang. A quick close and restart fixed it.

The e340 sounds pretty great, BTW.

I haven't yet been able to get it to work using a midi keyboard, though. I've tried it patched direct to the e340, and through the Befaco Attenuverter, and no luck so far.

I'll play with it more later.

Great program, especially for free. I'll buy a blank module or two to help the guy.
If you're referring to Autodafe selling the blank panels.. he's not the dev of VCV rack.. but he did a bunch of the 3rd party modules (and the switched on site). Still worth donating!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search