The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Not certain but I think expert sleepers works like an audio interface, so you can "track" voltages as audio tracks but not listenable audio because it's just voltage that gets sent back to voltage-land for use, it probably sounds like different shades of noise if you were to listen to it. So you can cut it up like a drum loop and rearrange it however you want like he does in the vid. At least that's what how it appeared to me...Chrisso is our resident expert sleepers expert, maybe he can chime in and set it straight...
I think that's right but seems alien to my way of thinking..?
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Great track and video!

How did you do those blue spinning circle graphics? Very Wipeout!

Quote:
I think it's an iPad sequencer/sampler app. Patterning maybe? Somebody I know has it.
Yes, the circles at ten seconds or so is Patterning on the iPad. Great app!

At 20 seconds, that circle is a mode in Ornaments and Crime.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not certain but I think expert sleepers works like an audio interface, so you can "track" voltages as audio tracks but not listenable audio because it's just voltage that gets sent back to voltage-land for use, it probably sounds like different shades of noise if you were to listen to it. So you can cut it up like a drum loop and rearrange it however you want like he does in the vid. At least that's what how it appeared to me...Chrisso is our resident expert sleepers expert, maybe he can chime in and set it straight...
Yeah, he's recording the CV for pitch from the modular using the ES stuff to record it into his DAW. I don't do the ES stuff, but from my understanding, it can convert the CV to MIDI, record it into a MIDI track in your DAW, then you can edit it in the DAW and spit it back out through ES stuff into the modular. (although you wouldn't necessarily need ES to do it - you could do it from any MIDI to CV converter)

In essence, it gives you a way to screw up and fix it without having to do everything live in the modular.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Yeah, he's recording the CV for pitch from the modular using the ES stuff to record it into his DAW. I don't do the ES stuff, but from my understanding, it can convert the CV to MIDI, record it into a MIDI track in your DAW, then you can edit it in the DAW and spit it back out through ES stuff into the modular. (although you wouldn't necessarily need ES to do it - you could do it from any MIDI to CV converter)

In essence, it gives you a way to screw up and fix it without having to do everything live in the modular.
Does it convert to MIDI? I guess I always assumed it just recorded it as audio.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Yeah, all the time. Music is the sound of decisions. So, by continuing to experiment and deciding what you're doing is nonsense, you're creating a future where you decided something you're doing is worthy of being shared. Also there's a skill (I've had to develop in response to modular, especially) in realizing when you're on the verge of gilding the lily, and you should hit record instead of hitting another patch cord.

Been in kind of a Rings-rut lately. Don't get me wrong Rings is great and everything but it can get samey awfully fast, even with experimental patching.

Made a patch last evening that I rather liked. Made a keyboard-controlled pad voice using a couple oscs, HPF and verb. Then used the end-of-decay trigger output to trigger an envelope opening a VCA that allowed clocks through to Metropolis, and using a clock divider, every couple of releases also make a descending laser zap with another osc.

I think multi-stage segment patches like this are where modular really shines, and is one of the reasons I wanted to get into it in the first place. I really liked my Mono-Evolver, but felt frustrated by the matrix programming. Now I have the stuff I liked in the Evo outside where I can touch it.
Don't forget that Rings can be a nice slinky bass synth also. Put it in the green exciter mode, turn the damping all the way up, then module the brightness and a little bit of the position. I've got a nice NiN type bass sound going right now with patching sort of like that.

I'd do more with this patch, but it started out as trying to do Euro drums and also have something pretty cool going on. I'm just out of fscking patch cables again so I can't go any further and add a melody or variation. Anyways, an exercise in doing modular drums ...

All the drum sounds are in the rack; noise sources, Wogglebug, Braids meta mode trick, sine waves, etc ... no cheating with the Analog Rytm and the only Peaks drum sound is the accent snare.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

First recording I've done since October last year...Renovations and LIFE got in the way... Loving my new modules. Mysteron and Akemie's Castle with the Batumi. 100% live. 1 take. Sorry if the levels got a bit mad...

Patch Notes:

Starts with Mysteron joined by Akemie's Castle. Sequenced by AD1 and modulated by Voltage Block and Batumi. Bass notes from CSAW mode of Braids. 3 filters in action too: Mysteron with Division 6 SEM filter, Akemie's with KOMA Svf and the Braids through the Studio Electronics 4096 Arp 2600 filter. Drums from Roland TR606. All through Eventide Space pedal. No other effects, EQ or post production. Recorded in Reason through Focusrite 2i2.

The 606 provides the master clock but you can syncopate the rhythms due to picking and choosing which steps you want to advance the clock...hope that makes sense...
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Outboard Mixers ...

It's time to get a mixer for my euro and no, I just can't justify the cost and space for the WMD Performance Mixer. I picked up a Behringer 1222 over the weekend at GC but returned it because it was complete crap. I have a really nice board in the studio, a Yamaha 01v96i but am looking for something small and portable for the Euro rig. Is the Mackie 1202VLZ4 really the best option out there for a compact outboard for euro?
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's time to get a mixer for my euro and no, I just can't justify the cost and space for the WMD Performance Mixer. I picked up a Behringer 1222 over the weekend at GC but returned it because it was complete crap. I have a really nice board in the studio, a Yamaha 01v96i but am looking for something small and portable for the Euro rig. Is the Mackie 1202VLZ4 really the best option out there for a compact outboard for euro?
is price a consideration? if not, check out the X-Desk.

Hopefully there's some good euro mixers that will be announced at superbooth. Befaco have a 6 channel one that looks interesting (just wish it had pan CV).
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
is price a consideration? if not, check out the X-Desk.

Hopefully there's some good euro mixers that will be announced at superbooth. Befaco have a 6 channel one that looks interesting (just wish it had pan CV).
Let's just say, something reasonable. For the cost of a that X-desk, I could afford another case and a WMD . That said, I've also been scouting DJ mixers, cross-fades, sampling, and cuing could really be fun. Unfortunately, they're usually limited on inputs. The best I could find was 7-channel, but most of the inputs are RCA based.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Guru

I love mixers, it's where I find myself spending so much time when jamming, once everything is playing and moving it's all about those mutes and crossfades what not, I even set up Streams today to be a nice 2 chan dynamics mixer for 2 very different sounding kick drums. You know how you always want one slamming knocking kick, and another that's just a duller boomy 808ish style with long decay, now with streams I can sent my two kick drum modules to streams 2 chans and have them sound just right, hard knocking kick on chan 1 and boomy kick on chan 2 engage dynamics and shape and you can get a seriously nice shaped kick from this module, finally I found a nice use for this module, that's it's fulltime dedication now...kick shaper..!!

I have another interesting mixer coming in the mail as we speak, it's the WMD blender, such a sick little mixer with it's double crossfading, going to use it for modulated percussion and hats before they hit the mutamix bus C

Old 19th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
no there's no MIDI in that video at all, it's all CV/gate and what he's doing is still doin my head in...sounds amazing though..
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

he records notes as voltage control as audio or what the..?
he's recording the CV into the daw. the metropolis is putting out voltage 1v/oct, and the ES6 is an analog to digital converter (like a sound card) that voltage amount. it's just being recorded as a fixed voltage. It's essentially a DC offset.

when he plays it, the votage recorded in the daw is coming out of his ES-3 (another sound card, as a digital to analog converter), and he's sending that CV to the oscillator that's playing the pitch you're hearing.

cubase is also sending clock to his modular, and every beat is triggering a gate, which makes it sound like there's a new note on every beat - regardless if there's a pitch change or not. Changing the volume of the track would change the pitch

what I don't understand is the time stretch in cubase changing the fixed volate. If you take 1/4th beat of 1v dc offset, and stretch it to 1 whole beat; it should still be 1v of dc offset. in his stretchings, sometimes the pitch also changed.
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
I recently started building a sampler-based eurorack modular. So far I've got the TipTop One, VCF-74, uVCA II and Peaks.

Here's a little patch-making video I made using those modules (and some external gear).

Let me know if you have suggestions of what I should get next. I've already ordered a Morphagene + Maths
Erica Synths Pico Drum is a great sampler module, very easy to use, not just for drums.
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
I wish there was more things to do with drums in the modular world, I guess that's what samplers are for but I always find myself look at drum modules and more wacky things you can do with drums and sequencers than with synths per say..
Again, the Erica Pico Drum is just a simple to use Wav playback module.
You can cycle sounds, change pitch etc. I'm using it for all kinds of samples.
My go to weird drum module is Basimilus Iteritas (still).
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let's just say, something reasonable. For the cost of a that X-desk, I could afford another case and a WMD . That said, I've also been scouting DJ mixers, cross-fades, sampling, and cuing could really be fun. Unfortunately, they're usually limited on inputs. The best I could find was 7-channel, but most of the inputs are RCA based.
I use an Intellijel Linux. 5 channel mixer with 5 vcas. Does a great job.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol
Great track and video!

How did you do those blue spinning circle graphics? Very Wipeout!
Quote:
Yes, the circles at ten seconds or so is Patterning on the iPad. Great app!

At 20 seconds, that circle is a mode in Ornaments and Crime.
Thanks. ^ The 6 circles are the 6 Patterning drum tracks and the triangle modulating around the circle is o_C Harrington1200 mode.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
he's recording the CV into the daw. the metropolis is putting out voltage 1v/oct, and the ES6 is an analog to digital converter (like a sound card) that voltage amount. it's just being recorded as a fixed voltage. It's essentially a DC offset.

when he plays it, the votage recorded in the daw is coming out of his ES-3 (another sound card, as a digital to analog converter), and he's sending that CV to the oscillator that's playing the pitch you're hearing.

cubase is also sending clock to his modular, and every beat is triggering a gate, which makes it sound like there's a new note on every beat - regardless if there's a pitch change or not. Changing the volume of the track would change the pitch

what I don't understand is the time stretch in cubase changing the fixed volate. If you take 1/4th beat of 1v dc offset, and stretch it to 1 whole beat; it should still be 1v of dc offset. in his stretchings, sometimes the pitch also changed.
thanks that has cleared it up somewhat..seems like a weird way to do something though, why wouldn't you just change the notes and gate time on the metropolis in real time..?
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict

because thats his workflow
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
no there's no MIDI in that video at all, it's all CV/gate and what he's doing is still doin my head in...sounds amazing though..
Ah, my bad then. It would be much easier if it were to record as MIDI for pitch anyway. You'd have to time stretch then to change pitch if it records as "audio".

Quote:
Have you looked into the Yamaha MG series?
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, my bad then. It would be much easier if it were to record as MIDI for pitch anyway. You'd have to time stretch then to change pitch if it records as "audio".
I read up on it, and there IS a pitch to CV app as part of Silent way.. so it works both ways for different things.

"Silent Way CV To MIDI
Silent Way CV To MIDI translates CV signals (such as those produced by Silent Way CV Input, for example) into MIDI messages. These can in turn be used to control all sorts of software and hardware devices. Used in conjunction with, say, Silent Way LFO, the CV To MIDI plug-in provides a standalone means of generating MIDI LFOs, giving Silent Way an application to musicians who have no analogue gear at all. "

Last edited by biggator6; 19th April 2017 at 02:49 PM..
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

I was experimenting with something last night that turned out like the soundtrack to a weird old video game. Running LFOs into the O_c quantizer mode and into an oscillator.. then taking one of the OSC outputs and running into bitrazer, which is being heavily modulated. Weirdness ensues.

Old 19th April 2017
Here for the gear

If the guy is actually *timestretching* the Pitch CV recorded as an audio file (rather than just simply slowing it down like a vinyl record or on a sampler, which would change both pitch an duration) this will probably produce some funny artifacts because timestretching or pitch-shifting (technical equivalent) has to either throw away or invent data on the fly, often done by repeating or skipping stuff. Or FFT. All this applies to audio and who knows what it will do to much slower changing CV. (I cannot see the video for the moment) Marcus
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was experimenting with something last night that turned out like the soundtrack to a weird old video game. Running LFOs into the O_c quantizer mode and into an oscillator.. then taking one of the OSC outputs and running into bitrazer, which is being heavily modulated. Weirdness ensues.

That was awesome man. I actually felt like I was controlling a little dude with a moustache jumping on turtles.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love my Vermona qMI2. Works flawlessly and a million options. Definitely spendy and rather large HP-wise but worth it for any muiltitracking or polyphonic application in a medium to large system.
You've banged on about this module for that long i accidentally ordered one today

Mission now is where to position it in my rack, somewhere central or to the side...............
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Any one here ever used this?

MIDI to CV
MUC-800 (€499)
MUC-810-Eurorack (€449)
(also in kit form for €260)

MUC models

2 MIDI ports: MIDI In, MIDI Out
16 CV outputs with a resolution of 16 bits for variable control voltages such as Volt/Octave , Hz/V, Velocity , Release , Pitch Bend and Controller values.
CV outputs can also be configured for trigger , gate , or sync signals with a selectable maximum control voltage from 3 to 10V.
Etc...

Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think I'm similar to Celldweller in that i love my Hardware, where we differ is he actually makes some music
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Any one here ever used this?

MIDI to CV
MUC-800 (€499)
MUC-810-Eurorack (€449)
(also in kit form for €260)

MUC models

2 MIDI ports: MIDI In, MIDI Out
16 CV outputs with a resolution of 16 bits for variable control voltages such as Volt/Octave , Hz/V, Velocity , Release , Pitch Bend and Controller values.
CV outputs can also be configured for trigger , gate , or sync signals with a selectable maximum control voltage from 3 to 10V.
Etc...

You can't post this seconds after i ordered a Vermona QUI2, thats the height of cruelty
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You've banged on about this module for that long i accidentally ordered one today

Mission now is where to position it in my rack, somewhere central or to the side...............
Awesome. This module is a winner, you won't be sorry. Mine is middle row, far left. It makes sense with the Mother's midi plug being far left. Any other midi capable stuff would be top row far left.

Midi Solutions Quadra Thru velcro'ed to side of case is fed by Midi Solutions Merger fed by Octatrack out and thru (summed to enable sequencing from Octatrack or Daw) and Reason through Nektar P6 going to Octatrack in so it can play samples on the OT and record into the sequencer from the keyboard, pads, or even Reason. I only typed all that just now because I'm realizing how convoluted my midi chain is but amazed that it all works exactly the way I want it to somehow. Totally off topic now but it makes me happy I ditched the vintage "museum" for modern, reliable gear. I don't think I have ever been more pleased with my setup than I am right now...I changed it around a bit recently-
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You can't post this seconds after i ordered a Vermona QUI2, thats the height of cruelty
Damn, sorry man I only just found this thing online. I don't know anything about it, never seen this before. I feel bad now

I just emailed them to ask if MUC 8xx is still in production/currently supported. I cannot yet find user reviews of it.

1) You could cancel the Vermona order (although I was looking at the QUI2 myself, I like it)
2) The QUI2 is proven to work with plenty of happy users
3) The MUC 800, I don't think it offers clock/divisions functionality

Who knows maybe the MUC 800 is a defunct product.
I was about to say I don't think the 810 eurorack version is even on Modulargrid... but I checked it actually is

Need to find out more about it

P.S. I have refrained from buying anything during the past few weeks... wanted to see what was new first at Messe 2017 and Superbooth 2017... then decide on stuff
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
I use an Intellijel Linux. 5 channel mixer with 5 vcas. Does a great job.
I've got a ton of mixers in rack. Why I really want something outboard is for the EQ, effects loop to use some of the pedals I have, and the routing so I can always have my Zoom hooked up. Yeah, there's the SBG for effects and Shelves for EQ, but I'd rather put more fun stuff in the rack and not pay the Euro tax for something so simple.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search