The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
What fiddlestickz said plus a couple of things
1) The Doepfer Low Cost Base (Doepfer A-100 LCB), most of the current stock is with the latest Power Supply from Doepfer, it's called PSU3.
I have seen some of these cases still around being sold a bit cheaper but with the PSU2. Most online shops do mention which PSU is included... just make sure you read PSU3 in the description of the item and you will be fine

2) You mention 'mixer'. Yes you need a way to listen to what you are doing
The atlantis gives you one voice.. each drum module is an additional voice...
You have a few of options to get started with.
- you can buy one eurorack mixer module with at least 4 inputs then the output of this mixer goes to your monitoring setup. Or a mixer with more channels... depending on budget, and some mixers do have a line level output/headphone output.

Note, the level coming out of Eurorack is hot (loud), if you plug it straight into a stereo system or audio interface make sure you have the volume down and increase volume gradually...

- you can buy a few smaller mixing modules to create sub mixes, then a final euro rack mixer module with line live stereo out, headphone out, etc...

- OR you could not buy mixer for now. If you already have a multi channel audio interface... simply buy Mono Minijack 3.5mm to 1/4inch Jack Cables.
Minijack into output of individual modules... 1/4inch into your audio interface inputs... (keep volumes down to start with) and mix your audio with your interface/computer... until you have a better idea of what type of mixer you want.

3) for noodling you need eurorack modular cables. not a lot to start with because in this case you are starting with additional filters, LFOs, etc... but a bunch of them you do need.
yes he'll need a mixer or an outs module or both, I'm a huge fan of both, I have a few mixers and they all fall back into my outs module which is the vermona twin out, sounds delicious..

there are many mixers in euro, tip top even do one that is 6 in 2 out for less than $100 the intellijel mutamix is great also with 6 in and 3 outs
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

^ Those Metropolis and Atlantis videos are excellent. Not so much for the Atlantis itself - there are many interesting voices and synths to choose from these days - but for those patterns and the insights into how to do all of that. I definitely would like to end up with a small skiff (without any effects, filters, or voices in this group) to supplement boxes like a Minitaur or Hades or whatever else with the pattern generation and OTB sequencing options like those videos show. This is all very informative and interesting.

I've been making a list when I see interesting videos like this:

What else would go well with this theme/goal?
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madogga View Post
Bought myself a Mother 32 and a Synthrotek Power Lunch.

Idea is just to build a sort of “M32 expander” and if I really like it, do similar for the MS-20. Cue chorus of people saying “it never stops” but I have real overheads, limited space and other people to consider  Let’s be honest, I’m building a glorfied and whacky monosynth.
You are me... last October. I just wanted to be a build a big monosynth based around the M32 and some other voices.

Yeah.. well...
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
You are me... last October. I just wanted to be a build a big monosynth based around the M32 and some other voices.

Yeah.. well...
I know, I know... Even my significant other, who is usually pretty supportive of me buying whatever toy I want (as long as the rent gets paid) knows that it is crack for the hardware-oriented electronic musician...

I am consoling myself with the fact that almost every instrument I own is “mini” in some way, and that I only have my shelves to put these things on (we’re in an apartment, and I sold some larger gear recently like the Blokeys and Mopho kb). Watch them all go on Ebay to buy this vactrol filter... that wavetable oscillator... I already feel filthy. In a good way...
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Guru

there are tons and tons of osc and filters and envelopes and vcas etc etc on the market, so you don't over complicate things and get confused it's my recommendation to buy a full voice when starting out, that way you get a voice with all the osc waveforms, envelopes with their outs, vca with it's outs, lfo's with their outs etc etc you get everything you need to make sound bar the sequencer ( in which case it's metropolis here ) but you get all those extra things that you can then cross patch with other new gear when it comes..
Old 18th April 2017
I've been going through a rut of really "dumb: patches for a couple months now. I'm not really sure how to describe it. I still enjoy wiggling a just as much (I tear down and build a new patch most days) but I'm not happy with any of the output. Then there's the thing that happens to me a lot where I get some great idea and "screw up" the patch...can't seem to go backwards as easily as forward lately I guess. Does this happen to any of you guys?
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I've been going through a rut of really "dumb: patches for a couple months now. I'm not really sure how to describe it. I still enjoy wiggling a just as much (I tear down and build a new patch most days) but I'm not happy with any of the output. Then there's the thing that happens to me a lot where I get some great idea and "screw up" the patch...can't seem to go backwards as easily as forward lately I guess. Does this happen to any of you guys?
All the time, but at least for me, I'm learning new things from the process.

Today's patch ended up as another chessy, boring loop that sounded like a bad Erasure ripoff. What I did learn in the process was how to create arpeggiator like patterns with a slow LFO and the O_c quantizers. You then Add some variety to the trigger patterns to make it even more fun. I'll file that trick away for next time.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

^^ Use your phone to video your jam sessions so you can go back and see exactly what you did, when you need to. You can only keep them if there's something you know you want to go back and see, deleting them more or less immediately if there weren't any keepers, or you can keep a week's worth at a time, or whatever suits you. Hard drive space is cheap, and it would be nothing in the broad sense to have a day/week/month worth of sessions on a drive, for exactly this reason. I used to do audio only, but when it matters I do video too. It can save your a**.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Finally got some 3.5mm dual mono to TRS adapters to trigger my Roland TM-2 module from my modular, and started cooking this up: https://instagram.com/p/BTA7_HnAEtH/

The Pyramid is in Euclidean mode sending triggers to the Batumi in divider mode, which is triggering both the TM-2 and both Peaks in split/expert mode for four additional drums triggered by Branches clocked from the Batumi. Braids is in WTFM mode going into Ripples, with the Benjolin into Ripples FM, fed into Clouds, and Cold Mac/Benjolin/Maths are doing all sorts of modulation on the patch. Finally, the TM-2 is going out to a mixer with a gated reverb from a Midiverb 1 on a send for character and space. The cool thing is that making small changes to the Batumi reveals all sorts of different rhythmic variations.

It's been nearly a year since I started my modular journey, and I'm finally starting to enjoy it now that I've gotten enough modules and knowledge to start programming more complex stuff instead of just semi-interesting drones and robot farts. Patching this together took maybe 4 hours with a couple short breaks, and while it's no masterpiece (yet) it at least represents something approaching "music" to me.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Guru

First delivery of any kind for my modular for an absolute age came today..

2 red stackables and a clock distributor, extremely handy I've come to realise..

Old 18th April 2017
Gear Guru

This clock divider is pretty useful, much more than I realised,,,I can take a 16 click clock from my Robokop/trigger 12 as main clock, into the clock divider and then send a different division to Metrop, a different division to 101, another to ZDSP, having things in time but at different clocks is so much more musical and fun than everything banging around off the same boring clock..

I have had Atlantis rocking off one division, the SH101 off another playing any pattern I can dream up, all the while and it's CV/gate out is triggering the tonestar, so 3 synths off 2 clock divisions doing the jam..and the beats well they are just happy being banged out as usual..

I sold a large amount of gear including modular stuff last week, and my TR8 again..there was too much stuff I wasn't using or liked so it had to go, what I have come to realise is there isn't really much more I want apart from what I have, I have the morphagene on pre order, Tiptop ONE and a small mixer coming next week but that's it. I upgraded my DAW to Reason V9 and am using the $ from gear sales to buy a small 11" macbook air which I'm going to incorporate into the modular in a heavy way, the way I see it I can do sooooo much inside Reason now it's a waste not to use it more in my productions, why have it hang off the end as a tape recorder when it can come in much earlier and be a part of the sound creation along the way.

I'm going to load up Reason 9 and Recycle & use it as a sampler that sit's right in front of my rig & is fed through my modular, I can have much better control and editing over my samples this way. One small USB controller can control/play/trigger everything on the fly, it can even be sync'd to my master DAW Reason clock via USB.

I have not been satisfied with anything I've tried as a sampler, and finally now I'll have sorted it properly, I thought about an iPad but macbook air is far nicer for especially for the editing and chopping and triggering.. I need to be able to use a mouse when sampling and chopping..
Old 18th April 2017
Which modules did you sell?
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
This clock divider is pretty useful, much more than I realised,,,I can take a 16 click clock from my Robokop/trigger 12 as main clock, into the clock divider and then send a different division to Metrop, a different division to 101, another to ZDSP, having things in time but at different clocks is so much more musical and fun than everything banging around off the same boring clock..
Clock dividers and multipliers are awesome for this. Throw in the fact you can also cock the modulation of those voices in different clock divisions/multiples and things can get much more interesting.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, all the time. Music is the sound of decisions. So, by continuing to experiment and deciding what you're doing is nonsense, you're creating a future where you decided something you're doing is worthy of being shared. Also there's a skill (I've had to develop in response to modular, especially) in realizing when you're on the verge of gilding the lily, and you should hit record instead of hitting another patch cord.

Been in kind of a Rings-rut lately. Don't get me wrong Rings is great and everything but it can get samey awfully fast, even with experimental patching.

Made a patch last evening that I rather liked. Made a keyboard-controlled pad voice using a couple oscs, HPF and verb. Then used the end-of-decay trigger output to trigger an envelope opening a VCA that allowed clocks through to Metropolis, and using a clock divider, every couple of releases also make a descending laser zap with another osc.

I think multi-stage segment patches like this are where modular really shines, and is one of the reasons I wanted to get into it in the first place. I really liked my Mono-Evolver, but felt frustrated by the matrix programming. Now I have the stuff I liked in the Evo outside where I can touch it.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Head

Mother

I'm proud to announce my first synth child, is a mother 32. Really the only reason I got it, is it was basically $300 off, stole it for $400 ^_^ not bad. Fun little thing, good sound.
Anyway, before I am tempted to get two more mothers, I really don't want to go down that path, I want to start build my eurorack and that said I need a case.

Looking at this

https://reverb.com/item/2295296-doep...zC8P8HAQ&pla=1

Why is this cheap compared to other 9u's? Mother takes up a lot of space not sure if I want to mount her in here, If I wanted to mount her in her would I run into any problems? Then, could I just start cramming whatever modules I want into this thing?
Old 18th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Yeah, all the time. Music is the sound of decisions. So, by continuing to experiment and deciding what you're doing is nonsense, you're creating a future where you decided something you're doing is worthy of being shared. Also there's a skill (I've had to develop in response to modular, especially) in realizing when you're on the verge of gilding the lily, and you should hit record instead of hitting another patch cord.

Been in kind of a Rings-rut lately. Don't get me wrong Rings is great and everything but it can get samey awfully fast, even with experimental patching.

Made a patch last evening that I rather liked. Made a keyboard-controlled pad voice using a couple oscs, HPF and verb. Then used the end-of-decay trigger output to trigger an envelope opening a VCA that allowed clocks through to Metropolis, and using a clock divider, every couple of releases also make a descending laser zap with another osc.

I think multi-stage segment patches like this are where modular really shines, and is one of the reasons I wanted to get into it in the first place. I really liked my Mono-Evolver, but felt frustrated by the matrix programming. Now I have the stuff I liked in the Evo outside where I can touch it.
Yeah I always press record before plugging in the first cable. Even the simplest little noise can become something in my experience. I think Rings might be part of my problem too, it has been such a go-to for so long. It's just so easy to get cool sounds., but yeah even with everything being modulated it has a "sameness" to it. Finny you bring up the EVo, I sold my Poly Evolver a long time ago but see similarities in modular and the programming style, and I think about the parameters and how they interacted, very modular-minded.

Thanks for sharing all, good to know it's normal.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finny you bring up the EVo, I sold my Poly Evolver a long time ago but see similarities in modular and the programming style, and I think about the parameters and how they interacted, very modular-minded.
I've been enjoying programming my desktop Evolver much more since I got into modular, as I find it easier and easier to find creative ways to patch it coming from the modular. Makes me want the PE tho
Old 18th April 2017
I recently started building a sampler-based eurorack modular. So far I've got the TipTop One, VCF-74, uVCA II and Peaks.

Here's a little patch-making video I made using those modules (and some external gear).

Let me know if you have suggestions of what I should get next. I've already ordered a Morphagene + Maths
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have, I have the morphagene on pre order, Tiptop ONE and a small mixer coming next week but that's it. I upgraded my DAW to Reason V9 and am using the $ from gear sales to buy a small 11" macbook air which I'm going to incorporate into the modular in a heavy way,
What would the morphagene bring to the table if you've got your PC integrated?
(I'm wondering because I'm trying to justify getting one as well)
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
I'm proud to announce my first synth child, is a mother 32. Really the only reason I got it, is it was basically $300 off, stole it for $400 ^_^ not bad. Fun little thing, good sound.
Anyway, before I am tempted to get two more mothers, I really don't want to go down that path, I want to start build my eurorack and that said I need a case.

Looking at this

Why is this cheap compared to other 9u's? Mother takes up a lot of space not sure if I want to mount her in here, If I wanted to mount her in her would I run into any problems? Then, could I just start cramming whatever modules I want into this thing?
I've decided not to rack my Mother to save space for modules. Your mileage may vary, especially to start out.

That appears to be a solid rack. I'm guessing the Doepfer low costs are based on the wood cases - some of the pricier ones have metal exteriors. It's got the Doepfer PSU3, so you should be good to go power wise, and that's what the more expensive cases have as well.

Congrats on getting started.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Finally got around to playing with the Ornament & Crime in more than just Quantermain/Turing mode. Harrington, CopierMachine and LowRents all got used (there was a Euclidian Piqued track that did not). Of all the useful features, and there are many, the LowRents mode is a really badass modulator. As it stands I don't really understand how to control it all that well other than slowing it down and speeding it up but it offers a range of motion that is fully related to the other axis as well. But not repetitious like an LFO. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of that mode. I used it for the sync sweeps on the 12 step Omsonic pattern as well as the overall pitch CV for the background drone.

The Harrington pattern maker is quite interesting too; I still have to work with it some more to figure out how/why it does its thing, this result was at least somewhat accidental. But it quickly produced interesting results. Some cool and interesting results from Copier Machine as well; nothing earth shattering but that blues scale coming through a WC voice sounds vaguely piano-esque.

And that Omsonic VCF is possibly one of the best values in Eurorack. ~$100 filter that is absolutely killer in every way: multiple outs (2/4p LP, BP), multiple CV ins, 2 ch mixer, V/oct input and, most important, it sounds fabulous. Anyone shopping for a 4 pole cascaded OTA filter or similar really should give this one a look.

Great track and video!

How did you do those blue spinning circle graphics? Very Wipeout!
Old 18th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Great track and video!

How did you do those blue spinning circle graphics? Very Wipeout!
I think it's an iPad sequencer/sampler app. Patterning maybe? Somebody I know has it.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post

Looking at this

The LC9 case is £100 cheaper at Thomann and DV247... and other shops.. £370 is too much. Always shop around online to find best deals.

It is cheaper than other case because it does not use fancy wood, outside metal case protection (e.g. Doepfer Monster Case, etc..) But the PSU3 is good and I think if you are not travelling with it, for home use the LC9 is fine. LC stands for Low Cost in Deeper own words.

Actually although I do have stronger Deopfer Monster Case, I think will get an LCBase or LC9 for some thing I have in mind and even paint it/customise a few things on the case...
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
The LC9 case is £100 cheaper at Thomann and DV247... and other shops.. £370 is too much. Always shop around online to find best deals.
I've got two LC9 cases, one that I bought from THomann, and another locally from Technolopis (the NA doepfer distributor). After tarrifs and shipping it across the ocean they ended up being the same price.
It's a great value case. If you don't plan on traveling it's a sure hit.

curiously the cases are slightly different. The corner rabbit joints are inverted. One to the sides, the other to the top/bottom. But they're the exact same dimensions.

I'm curious about the price of the 9U 168hp 100LCM9 LowCost monster case that they'll reveal at superbooth. It might be my next case if the price is right.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

crossfade modules.
who has good experiences with them?

First I bought a Doepfer A-134-1 Voltage Controlled Panner / Crossfader
there's a volume dip at the center position. I guess these are linear VCA? Alright, it's not a dedicated crossfade module. fine, I forgive you.

Malekko Fade
to the left, from 7 o'clock to 11:45 it's all channel 1, to the right from 12:15 to 5:00 it's all channel 2. there's only fade from 11:45 to 12:15... c'mon.
Documentation says the Level knob should be changing the response curve, but I don't hear it. It just lowers the output.

Doepfer A-138d Crossfader/FX Insert
the blend from the right to the left along the whole knob is really nice. but there's no CV control of the crossfade. :(

Best results I'm getting is using my intellijel quad VCA and an LFO and it's inverted version as envelopes.

I'm open to suggestions or stories of your explorations.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Which modules did you sell?
Verbos harmonic osc
Waldorf NW1
EMU morpheus filter
TR8
OP1

that's given me enuff $$ to get a nice 11" macbook air as my main sampler, it's so cute and small like an ipad but far better editing, I also bought a clock divider, second hand woggglebug and pre ordered morphagene..

there are lots of holes in my cases now but I don't care, it's too much of a weird nonsensical obsession to fill those holes unnecessarily at times. Whenever I start jamming I suddenly see whats missing and how silly I've been to buy certain modules that I don't need or like..

TBH there aren't many modules I truly want anymore, hell you could make a whole album with Braids and a trigger sequencer if you wanted..but I really wanted to get the sampling part sorted and now I have, before I was kidding myself, now the macbook air is the sampler and connects to the world to grab sounds as that's where they all are..
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
What would the morphagene bring to the table if you've got your PC integrated?
(I'm wondering because I'm trying to justify getting one as well)
I would use it play those samples/tapes splices in backwards, it's amazing at doing that stuff so easily, record sound in, turn dial to the left..how easy is that..I was going to buy the version one the Phonogene but it's only got 2meg sample memory..
Old 18th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
crossfade modules.
who has good experiences with them?

First I bought a Doepfer A-134-1 Voltage Controlled Panner / Crossfader
there's a volume dip at the center position. I guess these are linear VCA? Alright, it's not a dedicated crossfade module. fine, I forgive you.

Malekko Fade
to the left, from 7 o'clock to 11:45 it's all channel 1, to the right from 12:15 to 5:00 it's all channel 2. there's only fade from 11:45 to 12:15... c'mon.
Documentation says the Level knob should be changing the response curve, but I don't hear it. It just lowers the output.

Doepfer A-138d Crossfader/FX Insert
the blend from the right to the left along the whole knob is really nice. but there's no CV control of the crossfade. :(

Best results I'm getting is using my intellijel quad VCA and an LFO and it's inverted version as envelopes.

I'm open to suggestions or stories of your explorations.
I've been looking at the Rabid Elephants Knobs. Seems fairly interesting to me...

Old 18th April 2017
Gear Guru

I wish there was more things to do with drums in the modular world, I guess that's what samplers are for but I always find myself look at drum modules and more wacky things you can do with drums and sequencers than with synths per say..

now I watched this last night, can anyone explain to me the part that starts at 14:57 in the video, the whole part about recording audio but then calling it voltage or cv...he does some insane stuff with what he records and I'm still trying to process what he did and how it's done..

he records notes as voltage control as audio or what the..?
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
I wish there was more things to do with drums in the modular world, I guess that's what samplers are for but I always find myself look at drum modules and more wacky things you can do with drums and sequencers than with synths per say..

now I watched this last night, can anyone explain to me the part that starts at 14:57 in the video, the whole part about recording audio but then calling it voltage or cv...he does some insane stuff with what he records and I'm still trying to process what he did and how it's done..

he records notes as voltage control as audio or what the..?
Not certain but I think expert sleepers works like an audio interface, so you can "track" voltages as audio tracks but not listenable audio because it's just voltage that gets sent back to voltage-land for use, it probably sounds like different shades of noise if you were to listen to it. So you can cut it up like a drum loop and rearrange it however you want like he does in the vid. At least that's what how it appeared to me...Chrisso is our resident expert sleepers expert, maybe he can chime in and set it straight...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search