The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
How are you guys finding your Tiptip ZDSP/Halls of Valhalla ?

Does it get used much ?

Is it worth the purchase ?

can it be used in mono, if so does it sound good ? In mono can you send in two separate sounds (one to each channel) and tweak them separately?
my internet has been out of service for the last two days intermittently, network issues I'm told so I've been playing with mine a lot just playing the SH 101 through it, you really have to tweak carefully and watch the tone control, it seems to add all the noise and nastiness, haven't really found a use for the chorus, mainly just tweak the decay and tone for spacey reverbs.., when tweaked just right it can sound super deep and spacey and has a long clean tail..
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
my internet has been out of service for the last two days intermittently, network issues I'm told so I've been playing with mine a lot just playing the SH 101 through it, you really have to tweak carefully and watch the tone control, it seems to add all the noise and nastiness, haven't really found a use for the chorus, mainly just tweak the decay and tone for spacey reverbs.., when tweaked just right it can sound super deep and spacey and has a long clean tail..
I was waiting for the Audio Damage EOS however i just think the Algo's in HoV will be far better as their newer, and looking a recent prices of AD modules I've got a feeling EOS will be around the same price as a ZDSP.
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was waiting for the Audio Damage EOS however i just think the Algo's in HoV will be far better as their newer, and looking a recent prices of AD modules I've got a feeling EOS will be around the same price as a ZDSP.
I cannot find the page but in US, Control Voltage should have the ADM23 EOS for pre-order at $495 US

Not sure what the price will be in UK

The Z-DSP in uk is around £340 inc VAT I think... direct conversion is roughly $425
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I cannot find the page but in US, Control Voltage should have the ADM23 EOS for pre-order at $495 US

Not sure what the price will be in UK

The Z-DSP in uk is around £340 inc VAT I think... direct conversion is roughly $425
So the EOS may cost more than the ZDSP, crazy as AD are using a proper old Arm chip in the EOS
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be honest theres nothing to figure out.....

Some guys on Muffs who have never owned a Benjolin built a DIY one and found if you change a resistor (R36) on the filter output from 150k to 33k the output becomes louder/the same level as the other outputs.

But if it was that simple why didn't Rob Hordijk do that

It was only when a guy who already owns an original Benjolin built the DIY version and did the Resistor change found the filter sounded terrible compared to his original. As he stated "the filter sounds constantly driven"

So it would appear the quiet filter output is inherent of that circuit, and a search around the web you find that Rob Hordijk agrees with this.

I just thought it was a good idea to put the resistor on a socket at the back of the board so i can change it if desired, on the other side of the board where the resistor usually resides its jammed tight between 2 jacks and a bitch to desolder.
Changing the value of a resistor at the output or input of a module or sub-circuit changes that modules (or sub-sircuit's) impedance. Other things, further down the audio stream (or up the audio stream in the case of input resistors) may be expecting the impedance to be within a certain range. My guess is that's why people think it sounds bad.

I'd be curious to hear about changing from 150K to say 100K or 68K, if they still feel that way. Unfortunately, you'd need people that know the original well to make this change to say what kind of impact it has and if the filter still sounds true to the original.
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
To be honest theres nothing to figure out.....

Some guys on Muffs who have never owned a Benjolin built a DIY one and found if you change a resistor (R36) on the filter output from 150k to 33k the output becomes louder/the same level as the other outputs.

But if it was that simple why didn't Rob Hordijk do that

It was only when a guy who already owns an original Benjolin built the DIY version and did the Resistor change found the filter sounded terrible compared to his original. As he stated "the filter sounds constantly driven"

So it would appear the quiet filter output is inherent of that circuit, and a search around the web you find that Rob Hordijk agrees with this.

I just thought it was a good idea to put the resistor on a socket at the back of the board so i can change it if desired, on the other side of the board where the resistor usually resides its jammed tight between 2 jacks and a bitch to desolder.
I got a Ladik 4-channel line-to-Euro pre-amp. Lets me use Benjolin filter output at modular levels when need be. Also for bringing poly-synths into Euro for cool percussive VCA pitched rhythm fun.
A-520 4ch line preamp (4HP) – ladik.eu

One thing I like with Benjolin is using the Rungler output into a comparator as a source of chaotic gates. Also great run into a sample-and-hold.

Thanks for your help with the potentiometers, BTW.
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Head

Ahhh thanks!!

Quote:
What you are looking for is the Intellijel Metropolis and Atlantis with some drum modules and a clock divider..

I will definitely consider this
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Head

So the mother 32 mounts in a case with no tampering? But it runs off of its own power supply though, right?
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
So the mother 32 mounts in a case with no tampering? But it runs off of its own power supply though, right?
You'd want to hook it up to your Euro power.

How To Install a Moog Mother-32 in a Eurorack : From Music To Code
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You'd want to hook it up to your Euro power.

How To Install a Moog Mother-32 in a Eurorack : From Music To Code
GOLD. Thank you !
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
What you are looking for is the Intellijel Metropolis and Atlantis with some drum modules and a clock divider..

ok whatever the hell is going on in these videos is exactly what I am after,
can someone tell me exactly what I would need to be able to achieve this.
obviously metropolis and atlantis, the clock divider, are the drum modules? what is he using? and a mixer right?
i need to know!!!!!
Old 17th April 2017
Quote:
obviously metropolis and atlantis, the clock divider, are the drum modules? what is he using? and a mixer right?
i need to know!!!!!
All you need is a modulargrid account and some money in your PayPal.
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
i need to know!!!!!
ok here's my advice, get yourself a Doepfer low cost base case..

that has power and all you need to get going with your system, then buy the Metropolis, the Atlantis and a master clock module like Pamela's workout or make noise tempi, a clock divider like the 4MS one, then you can buy your drum modules as you master the art of sending note sequences to the Atlantis from the metrop..

stray off this path and you will be all over the shop..
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Head

You are the man

Quote:

that has power and all you need to get going with your system, then buy the Metropolis, the Atlantis and a master clock module like Pamela's workout or make noise tempi, a clock divider like the 4MS one, then you can buy your drum modules as you master the art of sending note sequences to the Atlantis from the metrop..

You are the man. You have no idea how much what you did means to me
lol btw, I love your name!!!! Is that at league of legends reference????
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Beyond the swamp

Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
i need to know!!!!!

Quote:

What fiddlestickz said plus a couple of things
1) The Doepfer Low Cost Base (Doepfer A-100 LCB), most of the current stock is with the latest Power Supply from Doepfer, it's called PSU3.
I have seen some of these cases still around being sold a bit cheaper but with the PSU2. Most online shops do mention which PSU is included... just make sure you read PSU3 in the description of the item and you will be fine

2) You mention 'mixer'. Yes you need a way to listen to what you are doing
The atlantis gives you one voice.. each drum module is an additional voice...
You have a few of options to get started with.
- you can buy one eurorack mixer module with at least 4 inputs then the output of this mixer goes to your monitoring setup. Or a mixer with more channels... depending on budget, and some mixers do have a line level output/headphone output.

Note, the level coming out of Eurorack is hot (loud), if you plug it straight into a stereo system or audio interface make sure you have the volume down and increase volume gradually...

- you can buy a few smaller mixing modules to create sub mixes, then a final euro rack mixer module with line live stereo out, headphone out, etc...

- OR you could not buy mixer for now. If you already have a multi channel audio interface... simply buy Mono Minijack 3.5mm to 1/4inch Jack Cables.
Minijack into output of individual modules... 1/4inch into your audio interface inputs... (keep volumes down to start with) and mix your audio with your interface/computer... until you have a better idea of what type of mixer you want.

3) for noodling you need eurorack modular cables. not a lot to start with because in this case you are starting with additional filters, LFOs, etc... but a bunch of them you do need.
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Beautiful!
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Here's another quick sample of using the E102 Quad Temporal Shifter to get variety and movement out of a simple 8 note sequence in a single VCO patch:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BS-yeE4DAAZ/
Old 17th April 2017
Here for the gear
Midi modules

Trying to send notes from my external seq into my Eurorack modular. Too many modules to choose! Any suggestions from you, GURUS: latency, jitters, mechanical breakdown!?
Opened to disapproval: use an internal one!
( Intellijel µMIDI / EricaSynths MIDI to Clock V2 / MI Yarns/ Etc....... )
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Finally got around to playing with the Ornament & Crime in more than just Quantermain/Turing mode. Harrington, CopierMachine and LowRents all got used (there was a Euclidian Piqued track that did not). Of all the useful features, and there are many, the LowRents mode is a really badass modulator. As it stands I don't really understand how to control it all that well other than slowing it down and speeding it up but it offers a range of motion that is fully related to the other axis as well. But not repetitious like an LFO. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of that mode. I used it for the sync sweeps on the 12 step Omsonic pattern as well as the overall pitch CV for the background drone.

The Harrington pattern maker is quite interesting too; I still have to work with it some more to figure out how/why it does its thing, this result was at least somewhat accidental. But it quickly produced interesting results. Some cool and interesting results from Copier Machine as well; nothing earth shattering but that blues scale coming through a WC voice sounds vaguely piano-esque.

And that Omsonic VCF is possibly one of the best values in Eurorack. ~$100 filter that is absolutely killer in every way: multiple outs (2/4p LP, BP), multiple CV ins, 2 ch mixer, V/oct input and, most important, it sounds fabulous. Anyone shopping for a 4 pole cascaded OTA filter or similar really should give this one a look.

Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Well.. I started dabbling in this a few months ago.. this is really the first wiggle worth sharing I think. It's a bit long, but has some interesting bits hidden in there.

Be gentle.
"-)

Old 17th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
1) The Doepfer Low Cost Base (Doepfer A-100 LCB), most of the current stock is with the latest Power Supply from Doepfer, it's called PSU3.
I have seen some of these cases still around being sold a bit cheaper but with the PSU2. Most online shops do mention which PSU is included... just make sure you read PSU3 in the description of the item and you will be fine

- you can buy one eurorack mixer module with at least 4 inputs then the output of this mixer goes to your monitoring setup. Or a mixer with more channels... depending on budget, and some mixers do have a line level output/headphone output.

Note, the level coming out of Eurorack is hot (loud), if you plug it straight into a stereo system or audio interface make sure you have the volume down and increase volume gradually...

- you can buy a few smaller mixing modules to create sub mixes, then a final euro rack mixer module with line live stereo out, headphone out, etc...

- OR you could not buy mixer for now. If you already have a multi channel audio interface... simply buy Mono Minijack 3.5mm to 1/4inch Jack Cables.
Minijack into output of individual modules... 1/4inch into your audio interface inputs... (keep volumes down to start with) and mix your audio with your interface/computer... until you have a better idea of what type of mixer you want.

3) for noodling you need eurorack modular cables. not a lot to start with because in this case you are starting with additional filters, LFOs, etc... but a bunch of them you do need.
I have the apollo twin duo or whatever... think I just have 1 or 2... it can probably be expanded somehow.... alright, it makes since just to get a 4 input mixer mod yeah.duuuuuuuude thank you so much for the help
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

I have the apollo twin duo or whatever... think I just have 1 or 2... it can probably be expanded somehow.... alright, it makes since just to get a 4 input mixer mod yeah.duuuuuuuude thank you so much for the help

So like you really cleared up that newbie question for me because now I understand that for every 1 voice you need 1 input on on a mixer? ahhhhj all of you are awesome!!! I'm such a noob, and I'm so excited to delve into this world, I know a good amount about basic synthesis working with softsynths, and a very small amount about modular, so I might have a lot of questions a long the way... hoping y'all will help
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Mag Pools:
Roland Scooper
Doepfer Quad LFO
Mutable Branches
Roland System-1m
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
MFB Kraftzwerg
Harvestman Stillson Hammer mkII
Blue Lantern BMX
Doepfer Wasp Filter
Qu-Bit RT60
Mutable Streams
Analogue Solutions Oberkorn
TipTop Circadian Rhythms
Bastl Grandpa
Bastl SPA
Pittsburgh Analog Delay
Harvestman Piston Honda mkII
Make Noise Moddemix
Mutable Clouds
Make Noise Maths
Hexinverter Jupiter Storm
Hexinverter Galilean Moons
Mutable Elements
Pittsburgh LFO2
Animodule ShNoize
Music Thing Radio Music
EMW Digi-Drum (x2)
Audio Damage Aeverb
SSF Ultra Random Analog
Synthrotek Dirt
Audio Damage Freqshift
Zlob CLK DIV
MFb Drum-99
Derp - this is insane!!! So freaking cool.

It sounds like it could be a late 80's track off WaxTrax or Nettwerk.
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Well.. I started dabbling in this a few months ago.. this is really the first wiggle worth sharing I think. It's a bit long, but has some interesting bits hidden in there.

Be gentle.
"-)

Nice job man!
Old 17th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
Trying to send notes from my external seq into my Eurorack modular. Too many modules to choose! Any suggestions from you, GURUS: latency, jitters, mechanical breakdown!?
Opened to disapproval: use an internal one!
( Intellijel µMIDI / EricaSynths MIDI to Clock V2 / MI Yarns/ Etc....... )
I love my Vermona qMI2. Works flawlessly and a million options. Definitely spendy and rather large HP-wise but worth it for any muiltitracking or polyphonic application in a medium to large system.
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I love my Vermona qMI2. Works flawlessly and a million options. Definitely spendy and rather large HP-wise but worth it for any muiltitracking or polyphonic application in a medium to large system.
I've got the Vermona QMI, mk.I. Works very well indeed. Like how configurable it is. It is interesting making multi-oscillator patches with the poly-mode. Think the HP makes this an underrated module. Like the combo of the complexity of possible uses, combined with the simplicity and lack of menu-diving. Easy to use without ever looking at a manual.
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Bought myself a Mother 32 and a Synthrotek Power Lunch.

Idea is just to build a sort of “M32 expander” and if I really like it, do similar for the MS-20. Cue chorus of people saying “it never stops” but I have real overheads, limited space and other people to consider  Let’s be honest, I’m building a glorfied and whacky monosynth.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
You are the man. You have no idea how much what you did means to me
lol btw, I love your name!!!! Is that at league of legends reference????
no funnily enough it comes from me using the abbreviations FFS on another site years ago and the swear filter was always changing it to 'fiddlesticks' everytime I did it, in the end I just had to laugh and roll with it.. the forum owner had a dry sense of humor, if you tried to use the f word it would come out as kiss, call someone a w a n k e r and it would come out dressmaker, and the C word was changed to cupcakes..

so I used the word and put my own cheesy slant on it by adding the Z as that was a real ravey hip hop thing in the 90's
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search