The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

I keep telling myself to buy more effects, but I just end up buying more filters.
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Head

Long Time Lurker, New to Euro(C)rack

Long time lurker here. Hi!
For a while now I've been completely obsessed with Eurorack modulars. I need help deciding what I need and I think y'all would be a big help :D, as I have no one else to talk to about this sort of thing IRL, shame.

So.....Im kind of lost as to where I should start... as most people are when they get into modular, however, I AM pretty positive at where I don't want to END...if that makes sense. So this thing called like krell patches or whatever, where you have these like super drawn out dreamy pads with all this randomness and random bleeps and its like always changing and unpredictable...yeah I don't want that at all. Thats really a huge turn off for me, although i really think its sick and respect the skill it takes to make those intricate detailed patches... blows my mind.

I am very interested in these things like arps...sequencers,drums, being able to have like multiple osc's sequencing with eachother to create interesting polyrhythms ALL WHILE still being able to get a little wonky and weird and glitchy and unpredictable. If this sounds stupid please tell me.
Im pretty familiar with a good amount of modules and what they do just from the ENDLESS hours ive spent reading and watching videos on this, but im still kind of broken and lost.

For a while I wanted to start with a mother 32 but I also don't want pre packaged thingy... although I hear its a good starting point, but only if you have 2 of them, or something to pair it with else to increase its potential/possibilities.

now Im leaning towards a make noise 0-coast to start... but like Im confused as to like what that thing even is, it looks ****ing weird, but awesome, and theres NO ****ING VIDEOS REALLY EXPLAINING IT WITH LIKE TUTORIALS like BASICS. So i also have a question here and please smack me if im stupid, would there be a point to having two 0-coasts runnning side by side with eachother? or is that just stupid? People obviously run 2+ mothers with each other, but thats because theres like an onboard sequencer thingy and all this other ****. idk.

But then i also could just start with something like a ****ing intellijel dixie II+ that thing looks great for just a ****ing basic vco. Like would I need 2 or 3? Or is there something im not understand about vco's. for some reason I feel like I need a **** ton of VCO's? I think I have massive (vst) fever because theres 3 osc and I like routing them to all these other lfos and envelopes. Is there something im not understand as far as having ONE intellijel dixie II+ is just going to give me ONE osc? or can i like split that and bring it different places?

Im kinda confused and wish I could talk to someone on the phone about this or actually meet up and **** with a eurorack because I would just melt. if anyone lives in the denver area please I would literally pay you money just to whack off on your eurorack for a bit.

thanks in advance for the help
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
For a while now I've been completely obsessed with Eurorack modulars. I need help deciding what I need and I think y'all would be a big help :D, as I have no one else to talk to about this sort of thing IRL, shame.
VCO's? ... having ONE intellijel dixie II+ is just going to give me ONE osc? or can i like split that and bring it different places?

An oscillator module usually only gives you one pitched voice, so you can generate a monophonic melodic voice if you sequence that oscillator (but to do that in a satisfying way you also need a VCA, will want a filter and LFOs for modulation.)

There are some oscillators modules that give you 3 (and more recently 4) oscillators in one module, you can for example detune them to play chords.

Most Oscillator Modules (with one oscillator) do output more than one wave-type at the same time. For example one module can offer 4 outputs
- Saw
- Sine
- Square
- Triangle

You can use each of these outputs/wave as you wish. You can feed them into a mixer module and create a voice that is a mix of 2 or all 4 waves... or you can send each wave-output to a different filter, effect, etc... BUT they all track the same pitch-CV you send to that oscillator module.. so they all play the same note (unless the module offers a per wave detune control)
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
For a while now I've been completely obsessed with Eurorack modulars.
So.....Im kind of lost as to where I should start...
I'm gonna paraphrase something someone told me when I started:
start with one or two modules that REALLY inspire you. get those and get to know them, once you've spent time with them and explored what they can/can't do you'll start to develop an idea of where you want to go.

You've already watched a bunch of videos, so I'm sure there's already a bunch of modules that make you go "i wanna do that" - so start with that.
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
An oscillator module usually only gives you one pitched voice, so you can generate a monophonic melodic voice if you sequence that oscillator (but to do that in a satisfying way you also need a VCA, will want a filter and LFOs for modulation.)

There are some oscillators modules that give you 3 (and more recently 4) oscillators in one module, you can for example detune them to play chords.

Most Oscillator Modules (with one oscillator) do output more than one wave-type at the same time. For example one module can offer 4 outputs
- Saw
- Sine
- Square
- Triangle

You can use each of these outputs/wave as you wish. You can feed them into a mixer module and create a voice that is a mix of 2 or all 4 waves... or you can send each wave-output to a different filter, effect, etc... BUT they all track the same pitch-CV you send to that oscillator module.. so they all play the same note (unless the module offers a per wave detune control)
You are a blessing! Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I'm gonna paraphrase something someone told me when I started:
start with one or two modules that REALLY inspire you. get those and get to know them, once you've spent time with them and explored what they can/can't do you'll start to develop an idea of where you want to go.

You've already watched a bunch of videos, so I'm sure there's already a bunch of modules that make you go "i wanna do that" - so start with that.
Yeah I've definitely heard this before and I appreciate the help. Like. I want to buy a couple mods at first but I want to at least be able to run some complex arps/sequencing and filtering first so I'm just going to have to dive right in.
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I've definitely heard this before and I appreciate the help. Like. I want to buy a couple mods at first but I want to at least be able to run some complex arps/sequencing and filtering first so I'm just going to have to dive right in.
This is why many people start with a complete unit like the Mother32 or O-Coast. The Mother32 is your typical subtractive/east coast synth with a single oscillator, envelope, filter, LFO, VCA and sequencer while the O-Coast is a west coast synth with an oscillator, slew generator, random, wave folder/shaper and dynamics as well as LPG. I believe it's also got sequencing capabilities.

You'll get a lot more bang for your buck going with one of those rather than digging right in. The power supply itself is going to set you back about half the price of one of the above, which will leave you enough for a cheaper oscillator and perhaps filter. Not a whole lotta fun IMO with nothing to sequence it or modulate.
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

@LucidCity, and don't pussyfoot around get the biggest case you can and you'll thank me later.

9U at the very least.........
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Head

@everyone

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it! I'm such a noob, you got to start somewhere. but I can't wait to get going on this. I've been lusting over eurorack for a little under 2 years now and it's just making me sick now. Hahaha. **** those cases are expensive, they cost easily what a couple mods would. A 9u looks sick though, your right, why go small? Your just going to end up paying more if you do. Wish I could make my own hahaha. **** me.

Since both the M32 and 0coast are good starting points I might just get both. I've also been looking at Pittsburg Modular Foundation, but I feel there would be a lot of clutter I would end up getting rid of.
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

Remember you can't put a 0 coast in a rack.
Old 15th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Wow, I thought there was a rack module. On modular grid I was able to put it into a rack!!!
Old 15th April 2017
modular polyphony..

Quote:
Interested in that A-111-4 Quad Precision VCO for some polyphonic/chord duty within one single module. But I cannot find good video/audio examples of the A-111-3 on which the 111-4 is based.
I mean wouldn't want four bad-sounding or sterile-sounding VCOs...

I was considering (although for later, I am not buying now) maybe to go the route of a couple of Roland 500 dual VCOs or 3 MiniMods with AJH mixer module.... but it's an expensive way to do it.

I wonder which Analogue or maybe digital VCOs you guys would think sounds good but is on the lower-price range that could be worth having 3 of them for chords.
A-111-4 like all the 111 serie, uses the CEM3340G vco. basically a reissued early 80s vco chip (from sh101, prophet5, obxa etc). definitely good raw sounding vco, and with solid tracking range.

i suppose at 400, its a good deal for potential poly application compared to buying 4 osc. probably will be calibrated to track identical on all four etc. however, it's limited on the modulation front. after v/oct inputs, you only got one mod input, with choice of pitch or pwm as destination.

still, you will need quite a lot of modules to achieve even the simplest arhitecture for analog poly modular. better just buy a polyanalog - you get preset memory, accurate pitch and it will be cheaper per voice.

however, i am drawn to poly experiments with digi modules, as they offer much greater versatility and complexity with less accompanying modules. iordered Synthtech e370, primarily to use for separate "voices" and layered drones, but had a thought - since i already have a quad vca, if i grab a Quadra and incoming Qubit's quad filter.-.. this would already be a start of mini hybrid 4-voice. dunno yet, the announced new waldorf hybrid did influence all my euro plans.
Old 15th April 2017
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, I thought there was a rack module. On modular grid I was able to put it into a rack!!!
well modular grid needs a punch in the nose for spreading fake news

Trust me if it was rackable id already own one.
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

Just had a studio make over whilst drunk,
Got a thin cheap piece of board to put ontop of cabinet to cater for an extra18U

Old 15th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it! I'm such a noob, you got to start somewhere. but I can't wait to get going on this. I've been lusting over eurorack for a little under 2 years now and it's just making me sick now. Hahaha. **** those cases are expensive, they cost easily what a couple mods would. A 9u looks sick though, your right, why go small? Your just going to end up paying more if you do. Wish I could make my own hahaha. **** me.

Since both the M32 and 0coast are good starting points I might just get both. I've also been looking at Pittsburg Modular Foundation, but I feel there would be a lot of clutter I would end up getting rid of.
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wonder which Analogue or maybe digital VCOs you guys would think sounds good but is on the lower-price range that could be worth having 3 of them for chords.
Analogue Solutions VCO. They're kinda limited on features but good god does it sound huge. You can usually snag them between $100-$150 a pop.

Alternatively, Studio Electronics Quadnic. It's digital, but it's four oscillators with a whole lot of flexibility.
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
well modular grid needs a punch in the nose for spreading fake news

Trust me if it was rackable id already own one.
Somebody cleared this up on Muff Wiggler: 0-Coast will fit into a rack if you take it out of its case. If you're willing to void the warranty, you can also have it powered from your own power supply, however what I've been doing with these modules that were designed to also work standalone is just using the module's power and threading it through the case to free up some more juice. (especially with the Aira modules because they just take WAY too much power)
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Wut?
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

I love how right after I finish my touch-control boat, this gets announced and it's being made by the same dude that made the LP1's and LS1's I loaded up on.

Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Mag Pools:
Roland Scooper
Doepfer Quad LFO
Mutable Branches
Roland System-1m
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
MFB Kraftzwerg
Harvestman Stillson Hammer mkII
Blue Lantern BMX
Doepfer Wasp Filter
Qu-Bit RT60
Mutable Streams
Analogue Solutions Oberkorn
TipTop Circadian Rhythms
Bastl Grandpa
Bastl SPA
Pittsburgh Analog Delay
Harvestman Piston Honda mkII
Make Noise Moddemix
Mutable Clouds
Make Noise Maths
Hexinverter Jupiter Storm
Hexinverter Galilean Moons
Mutable Elements
Pittsburgh LFO2
Animodule ShNoize
Music Thing Radio Music
EMW Digi-Drum (x2)
Audio Damage Aeverb
SSF Ultra Random Analog
Synthrotek Dirt
Audio Damage Freqshift
Zlob CLK DIV
MFb Drum-99
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
I've fallen in now and everything that is not euro-related has to go!

Things I've realised since I started: I like to keep things in the rack (Sorry BSP, but you've got to go)
Oh, I know this mindset all too well. Things are only going to go downhill from here.

Quote:
This down here is a little something I made a few days ago, having a blast.

https://soundcloud.com/mummel-live/phryght
I've listened to this a couple times already. Really liking this. ...also thinking I might need a Rings now.
Old 16th April 2017
Hello, I'm looking for tips/guidance on moving forward with my modular. I've spent a significant amount of time patching my System-1m and I'm looking to expand.

I have an eye on some Elby modules to satisfy my patch thirst by going into Euroserge: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/434153

I have $1000 budget, but also need to consider case, power accessories and patch cables. The Elby modules have me at $660 total at their sale price on Perfect Circuit.

Thanks!
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

So.....Im kind of lost as to where I should start... as most people are when they get into modular, however, I AM pretty positive at where I don't want to END...if that makes sense. So this thing called like krell patches or whatever, where you have these like super drawn out dreamy pads with all this randomness and random bleeps and its like always changing and unpredictable...yeah I don't want that at all. Thats really a huge turn off for me, although i really think its sick and respect the skill it takes to make those intricate detailed patches... blows my mind.

I am very interested in these things like arps...sequencers,drums, being able to have like multiple osc's sequencing with eachother to create interesting polyrhythms ALL WHILE still being able to get a little wonky and weird and glitchy and unpredictable. If this sounds stupid please tell me.
Im pretty familiar with a good amount of modules and what they do just from the ENDLESS hours ive spent reading and watching videos on this, but im still kind of broken and lost.

For a while I wanted to start with a mother 32 but I also don't want pre packaged thingy... although I hear its a good starting point, but only if you have 2 of them, or something to pair it with else to increase its potential/possibilities.

now Im leaning towards a make noise 0-coast to start... but like Im confused as to like what that thing even is, it looks ****ing weird, but awesome, and theres NO ****ING VIDEOS REALLY EXPLAINING IT WITH LIKE TUTORIALS like BASICS. So i also have a question here and please smack me if im stupid, would there be a point to having two 0-coasts runnning side by side with eachother? or is that just stupid? People obviously run 2+ mothers with each other, but thats because theres like an onboard sequencer thingy and all this other ****. idk.

But then i also could just start with something like a ****ing intellijel dixie II+ that thing looks great for just a ****ing basic vco. Like would I need 2 or 3? Or is there something im not understand about vco's. for some reason I feel like I need a **** ton of VCO's? I think I have massive (vst) fever because theres 3 osc and I like routing them to all these other lfos and envelopes. Is there something im not understand as far as having ONE intellijel dixie II+ is just going to give me ONE osc? or can i like split that and bring it different places?

Im kinda confused and wish I could talk to someone on the phone about this or actually meet up and **** with a eurorack because I would just melt. if anyone lives in the denver area please I would literally pay you money just to whack off on your eurorack for a bit.

What you are looking for is the Intellijel Metropolis and Atlantis with some drum modules and a clock divider..

Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Somebody cleared this up on Muff Wiggler: 0-Coast will fit into a rack if you take it out of its case. If you're willing to void the warranty, you can also have it powered from your own power supply, however what I've been doing with these modules that were designed to also work standalone is just using the module's power and threading it through the case to free up some more juice. (especially with the Aira modules because they just take WAY too much power)
It will fit, but needs some finagling.

You also need to do some things power-wise. It's nowhere near as simple as getting the Mother into a rack.

If you're looking for something to put into an actual modular rack, I wouldn't recommend the O-Coast, or really the Mother for that matter. I'd go with something like an Atlantis or other full voice. But truthfully, those all take up a lot of hp. I'd recommend separate things to customize for yourself.

If on the other hand, you're hurting for money to get started, the Mother and O-Coast or the cheapest ways to get started.
Old 16th April 2017
Well, I've gone and done it... This is a first quick test of the Make Noise​ Morphagene (in two parts.) This isn't a performance video like my "Akira's Dream" which I posted previously, this is just a "how does this thing work?" exploration video...

Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

@genshi, nice video I think I want one of those morthingys
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
the filter output is quiet on all Benjolins you can make it louder by increasing the value of a resistor
however with a larger value the filter constantly sounds driven so i stuck the resistor on the back of the PCB in a socket (red circled) so i can experiment with values.
Let me know if you figure this out. I have a friend about to DIY one, and I'd love to have a Benjolin with louder filter outputs (and filter input-super jelly about that. I really like the sound of that filter).
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

How are you guys finding your Tiptip ZDSP/Halls of Valhalla ?

Does it get used much ?

Is it worth the purchase ?

can it be used in mono, if so does it sound good ? In mono can you send in two separate sounds (one to each channel) and tweak them separately?
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Let me know if you figure this out. I have a friend about to DIY one, and I'd love to have a Benjolin with louder filter outputs (and filter input-super jelly about that. I really like the sound of that filter).
To be honest theres nothing to figure out.....

Some guys on Muffs who have never owned a Benjolin built a DIY one and found if you change a resistor (R36) on the filter output from 150k to 33k the output becomes louder/the same level as the other outputs.

But if it was that simple why didn't Rob Hordijk do that

It was only when a guy who already owns an original Benjolin built the DIY version and did the Resistor change found the filter sounded terrible compared to his original. As he stated "the filter sounds constantly driven"

So it would appear the quiet filter output is inherent of that circuit, and a search around the web you find that Rob Hordijk agrees with this.

I just thought it was a good idea to put the resistor on a socket at the back of the board so i can change it if desired, on the other side of the board where the resistor usually resides its jammed tight between 2 jacks and a bitch to desolder.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search