The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th April 2017
::| BEST HEARD WITH A GOOD PAIR OF HEADPHONES |::

Just trying out stuff for an upcoming live performance...

Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post

Sounds awesome. Sounds like clouds is the centerpiece here?
Old 11th April 2017
Quote:

...upcoming live performance...
Great tune. When and where is the show?
Old 11th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Sounds awesome. Sounds like clouds is the centerpiece here?
Thanks! Yes, Clouds is definitely the center piece, especially in the first half. Second half it's the Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO and MI Warps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Great tune. When and where is the show?
Thank you. The show is Friday the 28th for Signal/Logic/Control at the Baker Building. Starts at 9:00PM. There will be 5 other really great acts. You should definitely come by to check it out!
Old 11th April 2017
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, Clouds is definitely the center piece, especially in the first half. Second half it's the Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO and MI Warps.

Thank you. The show is Friday the 28th for Signal/Logic/Control at the Baker Building. Starts at 9:00PM. There will be 5 other really great acts. You should definitely come by to check it out!
Sounds fun, I'll drag the wife or a buddy out. PM me a flyer or details would you? I have never heard of that venue/building.
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Like it! I'm guessing the bowed sounds are coming from Rings or elements. I've been really into doing a similar sound with Rings and external exciters. Dinky's works really well as it can mix between more tonal sounds and noise with separate envelopes on each.
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

Getting this page to the front page ...

I just pulled the trigger on a Knight's Gallop ... I'm just a sucker for Euclidian Rhythms and this this seems to do it plus much more. I ended up getting a pre-built due to limited availability, but the DIY version seems pretty simple from my read of the build guide.
Old 13th April 2017
Gear Maniac
New Doepfer gear announced. At the bottom it says new low cost monster cases coming.

Doepfer Introducing New Eurorack Modules At Superbooth 17 – Synthtopia
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Getting this page to the front page ...

I just pulled the trigger on a Knight's Gallop ... I'm just a sucker for Euclidian Rhythms and this this seems to do it plus much more. I ended up getting a pre-built due to limited availability, but the DIY version seems pretty simple from my read of the build guide.
I'm waiting for their "four bricks rook"
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
New Doepfer gear announced. At the bottom it says new low cost monster cases coming.

Looks like they might finally release the A-190-5 they showed in '16 hopefully. A quick search reveals they first showed this in '13... or maybe tease vaporware
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post

Interested in that A-111-4 Quad Precision VCO for some polyphonic/chord duty within one single module. But I cannot find good video/audio examples of the A-111-3 on which the 111-4 is based.
I mean wouldn't want four bad-sounding or sterile-sounding VCOs...

I was considering (although for later, I am not buying now) maybe to go the route of a couple of Roland 500 dual VCOs or 3 MiniMods with AJH mixer module.... but it's an expensive way to do it.

I wonder which Analogue or maybe digital VCOs you guys would think sounds good but is on the lower-price range that could be worth having 3 of them for chords.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I wonder which Analogue or maybe digital VCOs you guys would think sounds good but is on the lower-price range that could be worth having 3 of them for chords.
Dixie is a solid VCO worth having more then one of. very precise.
Dreadbox whiteline VCO is a dirty and would make for a very moogish fat tone (over the AJH)
or if you want chords, pick up a shapeshifter.

but dont' be shy to mix VCOs, you'll get more interesting results!

edit to add: there's the Doepfer A-111-4 Quad Precision VCO coming out soon too that you can check out.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 14th April 2017 at 04:17 AM..
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
good luck with the resets thing, it will lock tight after a bar or two but it never ever starts on cue form a fresh start, it seems to look for the clock, misses it the first time then gets the second one, drops that half way through then finally gets the next one and away it goes, they know about it and there is a firmware release finally on the way this next month..
The DJ-1200 din sync cable I ordered a while back just showed up. Switched the Elektron to send Din-24 and I get perfect sync and reset every time. Definitely looks like a bug with the Metro not being able to handle a normal euro clock / reset correctly.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The DJ-1200 din sync cable I ordered a while back just showed up. Switched the Elektron to send Din-24 and I get perfect sync and reset every time. Definitely looks like a bug with the Metro not being able to handle a normal euro clock / reset correctly.

ok that's interesting as my Robokop drum sequencer has DIN sync out I might try that cable with my metropolis..

at the moment i go from MIDI out computer DAW to MIDI in on robokop, trigger 12 is used as a clock pulse into clock in on metrop..
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

One of these came up cheap with LED issues so I grabbed it as it seemed interesting and hopefully an easy fix. Installed a replacement LED and it's back in business and good as new. Definitely one of Doepfer's more ambitious modules and it sounds terrific, and has as much character as a Wasp but in a different way. CVing or stepping between modes is fun. Morphing can result in a bit of a volume drop between modes so I need to email Doepfer and find out if it needs some calibration.

Now I have a pretty solid set of filters to choose from - 'System X' for Roland (sounds SO good), 'Raging Bull' for Moog (classic), Elby CMOS for Wasp and this for CEM.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Synth Tech E102 basics. I hope someone finds it useful or at least interesting?

Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post

Dixie is a solid VCO worth having more then one of. very precise.
^^^ I concur.

Both of mine (Dixie II+) as well as the Atlantis track precisely over 8 octaves!
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

I have a question for Dixie owners (I have 2 IIs). Is is possible to use the sync in to reset when using it in LFO mode? I'm not entirely clear on the subtleties with hard/soft sync and how to exploit that with LFOs.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Head

I am now about 7 months into eurorack (8 counting from when I bought the mother 32 in August last year) and things are really starting to fall into place. I now have a competent enough rack to do a quite a few different things, and it's hella fun! I've fallen in now and everything that is not euro-related has to go! Except for a few effects outside of the rack. This is what I have so far: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/433461

Things I've realised since I started: I like to keep things in the rack (Sorry BSP, but you've got to go), I prefer to not sequence but let it play with itself. Getting and building the penrose quantizer really opened up my eyes to the possibilities within this realm! I use maths for quite a few things but still haven't gotten that deep into it, now it's mainly doing some basic LFO duties aswell as being the masterclock of my system. I really need a pamelas workout! I need that screen to see what I'm playing in so it'll be easier to transfer patches into the computer for further processing/using it as samples within other projects.

This down here is a little something I made a few days ago, having a blast.

https://soundcloud.com/mummel-live/phryght

So thanks everybody here for the inspiration and help when I asked for it, I don't post alot but I stay updated on what's going on in this thread. Play on!
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Finally built the Benjolin, the PCB was faulty so had to cross the legs on all 3 CV Pots,
the filter output is quiet on all Benjolins you can make it louder by increasing the value of a resistor
however with a larger value the filter constantly sounds driven so i stuck the resistor on the back of the PCB in a socket (red circled) so i can experiment with values.

PS when i took this picture the TL072 opamp was in the wrong way.

Last edited by cane creek; 14th April 2017 at 04:22 PM..
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Looking good!
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I have a question for Dixie owners (I have 2 IIs). Is is possible to use the sync in to reset when using it in LFO mode? I'm not entirely clear on the subtleties with hard/soft sync and how to exploit that with LFOs.
If it works like the Rubicon (comments from D Dixon suggest that it does in this respect) then yes, it should reset the LFO. The Reverse Sync aspects get more complex (for my pea brain, anyway); I haven't fully figured that function out yet. But hard sync works pretty much like I expected from a saw core VCO on my Rubi.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
ok that's interesting as my Robokop drum sequencer has DIN sync out I might try that cable with my metropolis..

at the moment i go from MIDI out computer DAW to MIDI in on robokop, trigger 12 is used as a clock pulse into clock in on metrop..
The cables were sold out at all the normal retailers when I checked about a week ago. I got mine on EBay from this seller. Took about a week and no communications, but everything worked out in the end.

The Modular Thread 2017EURORACK Modular Din Sync 3.5mm Cable Expert Sleepers DJ-1200 ES-5 ESX-8GT FH-1

It's a bit annoying that no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the standard euro reset to work reliably. I've tried resets from all kinds of different devices, along with trying to tweak the levels or length of the gate with Maths. Hoping the new ROM will work better, but at least I have voltage based sync option straight from the Elektrons without have to go through multiple MIDI hops.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm happy that John uploaded this video as I've always struggled my E102.

Old 14th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Whoa the low cost doepfer monster cases look better than the ones currently out IMO Homepage englisch
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Whoa the low cost doepfer monster cases look better than the ones currently out IMO Homepage englisch
they do look nice, just that their not portable.
I want that Quad VCO.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Not sure I would call any of the monster cases portable but I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
If it works like the Rubicon (comments from D Dixon suggest that it does in this respect) then yes, it should reset the LFO. The Reverse Sync aspects get more complex (for my pea brain, anyway); I haven't fully figured that function out yet. But hard sync works pretty much like I expected from a saw core VCO on my Rubi.
Thanks. I was messing around the other night trying to get a reset LFO type patch with the a160 but seemed like it wasn't working consistently. Quite possibly user error.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Finally built the Benjolin, the PCB was faulty so had to cross the legs on all 3 CV Pots,
the filter output is quiet on all Benjolins you can make it louder by increasing the value of a resistor
however with a larger value the filter constantly sounds driven so i stuck the resistor on the back of the PCB in a socket (red circled) so i can experiment with values.

PS when i took this picture the TL072 opamp was in the wrong way.

Sweet! Jealous of your external input. I have the Epoch Modular version which has similar features--EXCEPT THAT!

Question for you, or for any of the other DIY-ers here. I have a friend building me a triple-Sloth. What're good potentiometers? I'm not a DIY-er, so I'm utterly stumped.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Question for you, or for any of the other DIY-ers here. I have a friend building me a triple-Sloth. What're good potentiometers? I'm not a DIY-er, so I'm utterly stumped.
Typically, I use Alpha Single-Gang 9mm vertical. Available at smallbear, tayda or thonk.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post

The two pots you need for triple sloth are B10k and B100k

Tayda cannot be beaten on price for Alpha pots.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search