The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
How can I do this in eurorack:
variably blend the routing in series or parallel two different filters in (like on the DSI pro-2). not blending the two filters, but the routing.

ideas?
filter 1 out to VCA channel 1
filter 2 out to VCA channel 2

take modulation source, mult it, inverting one multed out. Noninverted modulation source into CV in of channel 1, inverted modulation source into CV in of channel 2.

Not sure what you mean by serial routing - filter 1 output to filter 2 input? Seems straightforward enough. If not, maybe you mean taking output of filter 1 into mixer along with filter 2's source input, then mixing them?

For parallel, just take VCA channel outputs to mixer/interface.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
variably blend the routing in series or parallel two different filters in (like on the DSI pro-2). not blending the two filters, but the routing.

ideas?
how bout using something like a sub mixer..?

Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In series, audio is passed first though Filter 1 then Filter 2.
In parallel, audio is passed simultaneously through each filter individually.
yes

now I want a variable mix of both modes (without having to use 4 filters)
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes

I can't imagine a way to do that with only two filters. With three and some mults you could. The problem is you're looking for filter 2 to process filter 1's output at the same time as it processes its own input.

Something like three sisters might work for filter 2 as it has multiple inputs and outputs. I've not tried to see if there's any bleed through of the signals in that scenario, but even then you're processing the low/high/center band and they'd be different for series output vs parallel output. The Dual Wasp by Random*Source also has the ability to process serial or parallel or anywhere in between, but not both at the same time.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
The Dual Wasp by Random*Source also has the ability to process serial or parallel or anywhere in between, but not both at the same time.
if you're blending between both modes, then you are getting both at the same time! but ideally I can do this with filters of my choice and not just two wasps. It's the one feature in the DSI Pro-2 that's keeping me from letting it go..

I think I found a way I can do it:

signal in the left mult, out the right mixer.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Someone recommended the Bastl Instruments Cinnamon to me as a filter option, and then I finally watched Cuckoo's documentary on them and TTNM's vids, and then Cuckoo's doc yet again within 24 hours. I'm smitten...I've been interested in what they were doing since they were under the Standuino name, but now I don't just want to own their gear, but I kind of just want to pack up and move to Brno and offer whatever services I can provide. They are absolutely my kind of people and I'd love to be involved in that kind of community. I'd been intentionally ignoring their modules because of the wood panels, but I do like the look when there isn't just a random wooden panel amidst a bunch of metal...so might as well fill the last 20 HP of this rack with Bastl to even it out, right? I mean, if it still looks funny to me I'll just get one of their skiffs and fill it out with other Bastl modules...
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

They've certainly lost custom from me due to their wooden panels.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

I have been thinking I would like to add a complete voice synth to my rack to see what I might want to get rid of and now I have to add the Tonestar 8106 as well as the Atlantis as an option.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

ideas?
Cross fader?

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections...products/xfade
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you're blending between both modes, then you are getting both at the same time! but ideally I can do this with filters of my choice and not just two wasps. It's the one feature in the DSI Pro-2 that's keeping me from letting it go..

I think I found a way I can do it:

signal in the left mult, out the right mixer.
The Dual Wasp output of filter B is a combination of the serial and the parallel. If you're fine with filter B outputting both serial output of filter A along with a combination of filter B filtering the input signal of filter A, then you can do that without the dual wasp. But your serial and parallel versions would have filter B containing both its input signal and the result of filter A in it. Your patch appears to be doing just that.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

ideas?
That's what Mutable Instrument's Frames was designed for.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

After a week with the Metropolis and the Aperture, I'm wondering why I didn't buy both sooner (save that I probably didn't have the money).

With the Metropolis, on paper it may seem a bit limited compared to other options out there, but it's just so damn easy to dial in something musical. With a little more practice, it's the type of sequencer I could probably play on the fly. That said, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to see a reset consistently, but there's a new firmware about to drop that supposed to address that.

The Aperture is the perfect techno filter. It's easy to dial in that typical 303 / Rat sound and then some (or less if needed). It's also extremely playable. I've had the same patch rigged up for the past two days and have probably spend over three hours just jamming, tweaking knobs on the Aperture and envelopes on the Quadra.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Dual Wasp output of filter B is a combination of the serial and the parallel. If you're fine with filter B outputting both serial output of filter A along with a combination of filter B filtering the input signal of filter A, then you can do that without the dual wasp. But your serial and parallel versions would have filter B containing both its input signal and the result of filter A in it. Your patch appears to be doing just that.
the levels on each mixer would balance the amount of series and parallel filtering. so I could have it only series or only parallel, or a variable mix inbetween.
I have a Korgasmotron for a long time, and it's got a series/parallel switch, but since I've been playing with the Pro-2, the blend of both really opens up the variety of sounds I can find. Now to pick up a few more mixers and I'll just do it in euro!
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
That's what Mutable Instrument's Frames was designed for.
looking quickly on the surface I'm not seeing it, but it looks like a really deeply featured module. I'd have to see a video doing it. but it'd be really cool to have this as one unit.. I think it might since it has 4 VCA, - but depending on the routing algorithms possible... the overview doesn't go into many details and I'm not understanding the keyframe principal.
but ideally:
signal in. patch filter 1 in/out. patch filter 2 in/out, signal out.

it just crossed my mind all the possibilities for effects (instead of filters) and how fantastic that would be blending them in series and parallel. boy do I love modular!
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm a little late on the game but Daaaamn Derp! Didn't know you were that deep in! One thing thats hard to beat about cyrus's rig is the little joystick that raises the entire thing up or down on a hydrolic rig also the leather armrest and drink holders make it quite fun to get the whole family up there. (But you have more fun stuff than he does, dont say I told you!)

I'm just now building a new 24u 150hp goike style studio case to go with my 416hp gug case, then I'm *drum roll* done with euro! Physically impossible due to space. I already knocked my wall down to add 6' and raised my bed above the studio but I think I'm at a dead end now. Unless I start building downwards.....
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
After a week with the Metropolis and the Aperture, I'm wondering why I didn't buy both sooner (save that I probably didn't have the money).

With the Metropolis, on paper it may seem a bit limited compared to other options out there, but it's just so damn easy to dial in something musical. With a little more practice, it's the type of sequencer I could probably play on the fly. That said, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to see a reset consistently, but there's a new firmware about to drop that supposed to address that.

The Aperture is the perfect techno filter. It's easy to dial in that typical 303 / Rat sound and then some (or less if needed). It's also extremely playable. I've had the same patch rigged up for the past two days and have probably spend over three hours just jamming, tweaking knobs on the Aperture and envelopes on the Quadra.
good luck with the resets thing, it will lock tight after a bar or two but it never ever starts on cue form a fresh start, it seems to look for the clock, misses it the first time then gets the second one, drops that half way through then finally gets the next one and away it goes, they know about it and there is a firmware release finally on the way this next month..
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

"Finished" the Syntasystem VCF tonight. If you've ever heard the Frequenstiener, it was based off of this design, but this has three different inputs that it mults before filtering the signal - and supposedly less noise. I don't have standoffs big enough to put the faceplate on yet, but gave it a quick spin as everything is wired, and all seemed well. It's a fantastic filter. Resonance is crazy - crazier than the Doepfer wasp crazy. Haven't tried the BP or HP yet as I need a hardcore knob to switch the switch I bought.

After finishing the Chord Organ, Spring Reverb and this - the "fun" modules, it's time to get the "utility" ones done - O & C and Squid Axon. Good stuff.
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
IIRC someone in this thread got some Juno 106 Chorus modules a few months back. now that you've had it a while, what are you impressions?
That's probably me you're referring to. It's not perfect, but it's damn close to the real thing. I can get sounds that are reminiscent of my old AX60 with this. I'm thinking once I get the Tonestar 8106, that combination will be dead on.
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I thought it had the Roland chorus in it but it doesn't..?? it's just the filter that is different, so it's a Tonestar with a Roland filter and that's all that is different..?.paint of course, still it hardly justifies the extra cost imo, and I love SE gear..
It's the exact same voice, yes. The kind of person the 8106 appeals to is someone that's in my position where I got the 4075 filter long before the first Tonestar came out. A Tonestar is completely appealing to me, but it does mean that I'd have a filter that was redundant. The 8106 appeals to me because I don't have that filter already covered and when I'm not using it as a voice, SE oscillators are really good, and I'd have access to one. It's not going to be a perfect Juno emulation since the Juno is a DCO synth, but it's still going to be a very versatile module for me.
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Someone recommended the Bastl Instruments Cinnamon to me as a filter option, and then I finally watched Cuckoo's documentary on them and TTNM's vids, and then Cuckoo's doc yet again within 24 hours. I'm smitten...I've been interested in what they were doing since they were under the Standuino name, but now I don't just want to own their gear, but I kind of just want to pack up and move to Brno and offer whatever services I can provide. They are absolutely my kind of people and I'd love to be involved in that kind of community. I'd been intentionally ignoring their modules because of the wood panels, but I do like the look when there isn't just a random wooden panel amidst a bunch of metal...so might as well fill the last 20 HP of this rack with Bastl to even it out, right? I mean, if it still looks funny to me I'll just get one of their skiffs and fill it out with other Bastl modules...
That's one way of solving the aesthetics problem, I guess. I go to bat defending Bastl in spite of the panels and Cinnamon is one of my fave filters but yeah, when there's a stray one by itself in the rack, it does look kind of out of place. I don't mind it myself, but I know that bugs the hell out of some people. If you really did want to start a wooden skiff, Bastl does have some other very handy modules (CV Trinity in particular is a life saver for me.) Alternatively, Magpie does make alternative panels for their modules.
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It's the exact same voice, yes. The kind of person the 8106 appeals to is someone that's in my position where I got the 4075 filter long before the first Tonestar came out. A Tonestar is completely appealing to me, but it does mean that I'd have a filter that was redundant. The 8106 appeals to me because I don't have that filter already covered and when I'm not using it as a voice, SE oscillators are really good, and I'd have access to one. It's not going to be a perfect Juno emulation since the Juno is a DCO synth, but it's still going to be a very versatile module for me.
Even if I was somehow able to get that Roland filter in a module and run my Tonestar through it it wouldn't sound the same as the new 8106 Tonestar, the overdrive circuit would make it sound the way it does. No there is only one solution here, get the Tonestar 8106 as well..

Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
I'm a little late on the game but Daaaamn Derp! Didn't know you were that deep in! One thing thats hard to beat about cyrus's rig is the little joystick that raises the entire thing up or down on a hydrolic rig also the leather armrest and drink holders make it quite fun to get the whole family up there. (But you have more fun stuff than he does, dont say I told you!)
Yeah, I can't deny that Cyrus Rex is classy as hell. Great form factor for that one and I can't beat it on that front because I went strictly for cheap.

Quote:
I'm just now building a new 24u 150hp goike style studio case to go with my 416hp gug case, then I'm *drum roll* done with euro! Physically impossible due to space. I already knocked my wall down to add 6' and raised my bed above the studio but I think I'm at a dead end now. Unless I start building downwards.....
I can't wait to see pictures of that. Your studio setup is just way too cool looking. It's the kind of setup I'd like to have someday where I'm enveloped by modular, and then I sleep on top of it.
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Bought another one of these today:

And with this, I'm finished with Eurorack!

...is something I will never say. I'm finished with this particular skiff anyway.

Also grabbed another uZeus and another set of Z-Rails and Z-Ears.
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Talking about the Tonestar 8106, 8106 filter, roland filter...
there is a new one I just saw online

This is what they say
The Roland Jupiter-6 is a 1980s analogue polysynth with a great sounding multimode filter that is quite distinct from other Roland filters of the same era. Here it is recreated in a 14 HP Eurorack module with an added 2-pole 12 dB low pass mode, reminiscent of the Jupiter-8. Like most vintage Roland filters, it is based around a cascaded Operational Transconductance Amplifier (OTA), in this case using the LM13700 OTA in place of the obsolete IR3109 quad OTA.

Sound

Carefully compared to an original Jupiter-6, JOVE is a faithful interpretation of the Jupiter-6 multimode filter without using obsolete parts.

Features

4 modes: 24 dB low pass, 12 dB low pass, band pass and high pass
2 audio inputs, one log attenuated and one non-attenuated
2 frequency CV inputs, one unipolar input and one attenuverted input
1 resonance CV input, non-attenuated

They have soundcloud demos
https://soundcloud.com/system_80

On their site as well
JOVE – System 80
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Bought another one of these today:

And with this, I'm finished with Eurorack!

...is something I will never say. I'm finished with this particular skiff anyway.

Also grabbed another uZeus and another set of Z-Rails and Z-Ears.
That's a pretty strong endorsement for the lightplane. I've always wanted a joystick module. Something like the Intellijel Planer. I see this has a "Z" dimension. Is that pressure sensitivity ala MN pressure points?
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quote:
the levels on each mixer would balance the amount of series and parallel filtering. so I could have it only series or only parallel, or a variable mix inbetween.
I have a Korgasmotron for a long time, and it's got a series/parallel switch, but since I've been playing with the Pro-2, the blend of both really opens up the variety of sounds I can find. Now to pick up a few more mixers and I'll just do it in euro!
Might consider a Planar. It has quite a few tricks up its sleeve. In addition to x/y CV output, it also does mixing/crossfading, which is CV-able. It's pretty nifty. I got it for the x/y control, not really think that I'd use it for the crossfading, but in reality, I actually end up using it more for crossfading. Nifty things ensue when you use both.
Old 10th April 2017
Quote:
yes

you can, you need a cv panner. one input two outputs. and you need a mixer (or cv crossfader).

filter1 -> panner
panner out1 -> filter2 in
panner out2 -> mixer in1
filter2 -> mixer in2

this way you can freely morph btwn serial (filter1->filter2) and parallel operation. having a cv crossfader instead of the mixer, would additionally allow you to dynamically change the mix btwn filter1 and filter2 when in paralell mode via cv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Talking about the Tonestar 8106, 8106 filter, roland filter...
there is a new one I just saw online

This is what they say
The Roland Jupiter-6 is a 1980s analogue polysynth with a great sounding multimode filter that is quite distinct from other Roland filters of the same era. Here it is recreated in a 14 HP Eurorack module with an added 2-pole 12 dB low pass mode, reminiscent of the Jupiter-8. Like most vintage Roland filters, it is based around a cascaded Operational Transconductance Amplifier (OTA), in this case using the LM13700 OTA in place of the obsolete IR3109 quad OTA.

Sound

Carefully compared to an original Jupiter-6, JOVE is a faithful interpretation of the Jupiter-6 multimode filter without using obsolete parts.

Features

4 modes: 24 dB low pass, 12 dB low pass, band pass and high pass
2 audio inputs, one log attenuated and one non-attenuated
2 frequency CV inputs, one unipolar input and one attenuverted input
1 resonance CV input, non-attenuated

They have soundcloud demos
https://soundcloud.com/system_80

On their site as well
JOVE – System 80
must say its a lovely, sexy design. i hope they continue making other modules.

haven't heard this one, bzt my experience with frequent lm13xxx series recreations of Rolands in euro is that they are sort of reminiscent and have some behaviour treats, but still never sound dead accurate.

if you want that, your best bet is AM Synths that use the actual IR3109 chip. which is of course not a mass production solution. they make very small series, and also are not skiff friendly at all. i have both the am8109 (jp8) and am8060 (jp6) and they are pretty much dead on. slight difference comes from bigger headroom at input mixer in both Jupiters, as they run at +/-15 instead of +/-12v.
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

Even if I was somehow able to get that Roland filter in a module...
You can.

It'll be available in a few weeks.

Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
That's a pretty strong endorsement for the lightplane. I've always wanted a joystick module. Something like the Intellijel Planer. I see this has a "Z" dimension. Is that pressure sensitivity ala MN pressure points?
I felt weird buying a third one, especially since they're strangely hard to find right now (Control Voltage was the only site that had any in stock), so I spent some time looking through alternatives. I actually came very close to going with f(h) Choices just because the VCA's tied into it looked like a lot of fun. In the end, I stuck with Lightplane because this skiff is already going to be a little clumsy to play with in the first place, but I think the Lightplane will be easier to navigate than a full joystick.

When I first dreamed up the control skiff early on, the plan was a pair of Make Noise pressure points and a pair of LS1's. The idea was to have a touch pad for each finger, and then an LS1 for each thumb, but when I got the Pressure Points, I found out that the pressure control doesn't work the way I thought it would. (Only one pad is active at a time for pressure sensitivity.) I grabbed a pair of LP1's after unloading the Pressure Points, but I scrapped the control skiff idea before I could try it out.

But yeah, the Z output is pressure. Pretty responsive too, if I may say so myself.
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Guru

dam it's like waiting for a bus, stand around all day waiting for one 106 filter and two arrive at the same time..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search