The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 7th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I've once again demonstrated poor impulse control. The Orthogonal Devices ER-301 just went back on sale today and of course I ordered one instead of following through on getting a DPO. It'll be a month or two before I get my hands on it, but it looks like such a fun device, especially for someone with a sampler background.
I feel your pain. I told myself I was going to get the new Tonestar months ago, but still haven't. Congrats on the ER-301, though! Looks very lust-worthy.
Old 7th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've once again demonstrated poor impulse control. The Orthogonal Devices ER-301 just went back on sale today and of course I ordered one instead of following through on getting a DPO. It'll be a month or two before I get my hands on it, but it looks like such a fun device, especially for someone with a sampler background.
Love the ER-301 in current "beta" form. If Brian gets to even half the features he's promised, it's going to be off the hook. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 7th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
you won't regret it!
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Nut
Okay so my thinking is I will try to build this thing. Piece by piece over several years

So what have I not included which would be vital to getting the most out of this as I jigsaw it together?

I'll probably start small, with just the case and the wasp filter! Lol

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/430362
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm always moving stuff around to reduce cable runs. Although sometimes this feels like I'm forcing the modular into a specific configuration. I started out putting in modules the way they are usually laid out on fixed monosynths [VOCs] [VCA/mixers] [VCFs] [Envelopes/LFOs] [Outs] but I quickly realized that modulation goes everywhere as does clock signals so I've been putting modulation in the middle and surrounding it with the stuff that needs modulation then moving the more fire and forget modules off to the corners and harder to reach places. That was my rational with the drum rack. It's not like I'm modulating snares, hats, claps and stuff like that very much.
yeah it never works out when you place them in a configuration that your mind has planned out compared to when you actually sit down and use things, in fact it's usually so different I have learned now never to rearrange based on my idle mind and modulargrid, always arrange based on real workflow from jamming.. and same here with the cable runs, I will alawys try to use a cable that is perfect size for the patch not something too big or too short...like I said OCD..
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I feel your pain. I told myself I was going to get the new Tonestar months ago, but still haven't. Congrats on the ER-301, though! Looks very lust-worthy.
I'm curious about this new Tonestar, how is it different from the original Tonestar exactly..?
Old 8th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Okay so my thinking is I will try to build this thing. Piece by piece over several years
That's how it happens for most, rarely does anyone make a case plan and just order everything at once.
Quote:
So what have I not included which would be vital to getting the most out of this as I jigsaw it together?
Only you can know the answer to this as you slowly develop your own style.
Quote:
That is the smartest idea. Just take it slow. The grand plan I made years ago never worked out because I hadn't tried any of it yet, things change once you get your hands on it. You'll know what to get next after you've played around a bit. A modulation source like Maths or Batumi would be my next move probably.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/430362
More modulation for one. You might also want some clock division/multipliers and additional sequencing possibilities. I know the metro has a clock divider, if you wouldn't want something external to it. And with all those voices, some additional sequencing would be good.

Having said that, that's a lot of stuff "planned" for a multi-year thing. Start small with what you really want to start with. Your plans will change as you see what you're missing.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm curious about this new Tonestar, how is it different from the original Tonestar exactly..?
there's the Tonestar 2600 (semi clone of the arp 2600)
and now there's the Tonestar 8106 (semi clone of the juno 106)
different filters.

IIRC someone in this thread got some Juno 106 Chorus modules a few months back. now that you've had it a while, what are you impressions?
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Addict

I finally got around to installing Tides Parasite. Two Bumps. This module has earned its place in my modular. I was just so-so on it before. But Two Bumps is where it is at. Especially sounds nice through the LxD lowpass-gate.

I'm working on an ambient set. Between the ER-301, Rings (duh), and now the Two Bumps, it is feeling like I could hold down a pretty reasonable live set with just my modular set up. The Ladik Bool2 boolean module is helping a lot.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
there's the Tonestar 2600 (semi clone of the arp 2600)
and now there's the Tonestar 8106 (semi clone of the juno 106)
different filters.

IIRC someone in this thread got some Juno 106 Chorus modules a few months back. now that you've had it a while, what are you impressions?

it's slightly confusing when they claim Arp 2600 inspired..

from the SE website.

TONESTAR 8106, an ARP® 2600-inspired complete synth voice, infuses Tim Caswell's "Jupiter to Juno" filter alchemy—a 6db/oct hi-pass filter followed by a recreation of the Roland IR3109 module—into our Tonestar 2600 platform; this chirpy yet full-bodied 8106 model is also fully #OutsToOuts modular featuring 27 pots—one more that the 2600 model for the high-pass filter, 6 switches—one less, sacrificing resonance modulation for that high-pass filtering, and 21 jacks. If the Tone☆ 8106 thins somewhat with resonance excess, route the triangle wave 'round the VCF with the "NO VCF" switch setting, and keep this juicy reimagining of the Roland® IR3109 module boomin' and gloomin'. Nearly thrilling Out to Outs/Interesting Patches .pdf (there).

not sure why it's so much more expensive that the original Tonestar still I want it badly if it's anything like the one I already have..

*edit and why can't I find a single audio demo of this module..??
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Can I just say that the 4ms DLD is freaking amazing. Anyone that plays guitar/bass/piano/EP should have one of these. Not only are the delay capabilities very cool, but using it for looping is amazing. I was never able to time an actual looper pedal to get the timing right with my Rhodes and the modular - it would always get out of sync after a while, but with this it's easy, provided you use the DLD clock as your main system clock. (which they state you should as it's one of the more precise clocks one can have apparently) Just set the feedback on one channel to 100%, external instrument into that channel and it's an instant looping pedal to go along with everything else in your rack(s).

Oh, and the Music Thing Modular Chord Organ and Spring Reverbs are tres cool as well! Chord Organ is pretty brilliant - those with the Radio Music should really look into trying out the firmware.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
I finally got around to installing Tides Parasite. Two Bumps. This module has earned its place in my modular. I was just so-so on it before. But Two Bumps is where it is at. Especially sounds nice through the LxD lowpass-gate.

I'm working on an ambient set. Between the ER-301, Rings (duh), and now the Two Bumps, it is feeling like I could hold down a pretty reasonable live set with just my modular set up. The Ladik Bool2 boolean module is helping a lot.
I would love to perform live with my modular, just a cafe or restaurant or something, reckon it would be a serious blast, makes you really focus and with limited ways to save and create it's all pure live creative genius or massive fail, something so cool about that..
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

from the SE website.

TONESTAR 8106, an ARP® 2600-inspired complete synth voice, infuses Tim Caswell's "Jupiter to Juno" filter alchemy—a 6db/oct hi-pass filter followed by a recreation of the Roland IR3109 module—into our Tonestar 2600 platform; this chirpy yet full-bodied 8106 model is also fully #OutsToOuts modular featuring 27 pots—one more that the 2600 model for the high-pass filter, 6 switches—one less, sacrificing resonance modulation for that high-pass filtering, and 21 jacks. If the Tone☆ 8106 thins somewhat with resonance excess, route the triangle wave 'round the VCF with the "NO VCF" switch setting, and keep this juicy reimagining of the Roland® IR3109 module boomin' and gloomin'. Nearly thrilling Out to Outs/Interesting Patches .pdf (there).

not sure why it's so much more expensive that the original Tonestar still I want it badly if it's anything like the one I already have..

I'm pretty sure that's just a copy error. should probably read
TONESTAR 8106, a Juno 106® inspired complete synth voice,
it's like they copied the tonestar 2600 text and forgot to properly modify it...

sweetwater says they have it in stock, but is it even out yet? It might not be. it was announced at namm 2017. Even instagram only has pics from namm...
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

not sure why it's so much more expensive that the original Tonestar
It's $30 more. ($529 vs $499.)

The 8106's paint job and high-pass filter are the reason for the slight increase.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

sweetwater says they have it in stock, but is it even out yet? It might not be.
It's available. I've had mine since NAMM.
Call them direct if you can't find one for sale.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
It's available. I've had mine since NAMM.
Call them direct if you can't find one for sale.
why haven't I seen your instagram pictures of it then

lets see/hear a video. or at least a user review..
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I haven't posted any.

Quote:

lets see/hear a video. or at least a user review..
Neither one of those are my thing, but I love it.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Guru

I thought it had the Roland chorus in it but it doesn't..?? it's just the filter that is different, so it's a Tonestar with a Roland filter and that's all that is different..?.paint of course, still it hardly justifies the extra cost imo, and I love SE gear..
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
More modulation for one. You might also want some clock division/multipliers and additional sequencing possibilities. I know the metro has a clock divider, if you wouldn't want something external to it. And with all those voices, some additional sequencing would be good.

Having said that, that's a lot of stuff "planned" for a multi-year thing. Start small with what you really want to start with. Your plans will change as you see what you're missing.
It's not so much a plan as sketching out in my mind what I want to do and what modules are out there for me to do it.

So I'm sure everyone is right and I'll be directed in different ways one I start.

Also trying to work out where to start.

I guess the must have modules in all that are the Wasp filter, the Polivoks Oscillator, and the English Tear.

The Tonestar 8106 has also really captured my imagination.

I guess my concern is that I'm missing utility or more functional modules that I will need to do useful tasks, but not something a total newbie would think of
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

from the SE website.

Funny enough I spent a few minutes last night looking for info on the 8106 and I can't remember if it was on their website or on a news/preview site where it was stated that (NOT their exact words) it is the same VCO and VCA as per the Tonestar 2600... the only main difference is the Filter that in the case of the 8106 is a Roland Type filter called 8106 because it is based on the Jupiter 8 and Jupiter 106... therefore the name 8 106

I did find a video with audio... if I find it again will post it
Old 8th April 2017
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Funny enough I spent a few minutes last night looking for info on the 8106 and I can't remember if it was on their website or on a news/preview site where it was stated that (NOT their exact words) it is the same VCO and VCA as per the Tonestar 2600... the only main difference is the Filter that in the case of the 8106 is a Roland Type filter called 8106 because it is based on the Jupiter 8 and Jupiter 106... therefore the name 8 106

I did find a video with audio... if I find it again will post it

You may have already seen these
This video is just on the Tonestar 8106 sound (through effects though)

Here Tonestar 8106 at about 1:20... Then they also show a 12HP module just with eh 8106 Filter in this video ...and the Tonestar Folktek with Moog filter

Then...

Old 8th April 2017
Gear Guru

ahh finally, why couldn't I find those before, weird..thanks guys will listen now, hard to justify buying another synth voice because the filter is different, cheaper to just buy the filter and send the Tonestar osc waveforms out to it..
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post

Here Tonestar 8106 at about 1:20... Then they also show a 12HP module just with eh 8106 Filter in this video ...and the Tonestar Folktek with Moog filter

Then...

the one with the effects is no good, the others are ok demos but for the life of me I cannot hear anything Roland about them, they don't fully sound like my Tonestar either, so it seems to be something new all together, more ballsy than a Roland and not as warm as dirty or murky as the Tonestar 1..

*edit actually the last video you can hear some glimpsees of something Roland like.. just.

strange module but one with which I could use in my system for sure..

still it will have to wait a while, I'm on a long haul save for something else..
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

for the life of me I cannot hear anything Roland about them, they don't fully sound like my Tonestar either, so it seems to be something new all together, more ballsy than a Roland and not as warm as dirty or murky as the Tonestar 1..

*edit actually the last video you can hear some glimpsees of something Roland like.. just.
Marc likes distortion. He often (usually always) has the feedback control (and drive) turned way up when he demoes. I can assure you when you turn down the feedback and add just a hint of drive (which is pre-filter) you get that big, warm Juno sound. Also, when the feedback is turned up (which is post filter) you don't get to hear the squelchiness in the filter when the resonance is dialed up. It's there. It definitely gets that Roland "chirp" when you use it in that way.

Full disclosure, yes, the SE guys are good friends of mine, but I was a fan (and user of their products) long before I ever met them.

Quote:

I just forgot. Here you go. Just for you --> Instagram Link
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's not so much a plan as sketching out in my mind what I want to do and what modules are out there for me to do it.

So I'm sure everyone is right and I'll be directed in different ways one I start.

Also trying to work out where to start.

I guess the must have modules in all that are the Wasp filter, the Polivoks Oscillator, and the English Tear.

The Tonestar 8106 has also really captured my imagination.

I guess my concern is that I'm missing utility or more functional modules that I will need to do useful tasks, but not something a total newbie would think of
Imnotded is giving good advice. The modules that I need that I didn't know I needed when I started are: clock dividers and sequential switches. Also sample&hold, and general logic utilities, mixers. All sort of nonobvious, but deeply rewarding. Also, not sure how I ended up with 10 envelopes and 10 VCAs in my rack, but they get used. Not every one in every patch, but they get used.

Here are the modules that I'm using for these functions, but there are any number of pretty decent choices.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-co...signal-mingler
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/circuit-abbey-g8
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/animodule-tiktok
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/animodule-m1xxor
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-...2-logic-module
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-kinks
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady...-fate-tool-box

Think if I had it to do again, I might go Doepfer for the sequential switch.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

How can I do this in eurorack:
variably blend the routing in series or parallel two different filters in (like on the DSI pro-2). not blending the two filters, but the routing.

ideas?
Old 9th April 2017
I just got the Make Noise Rene today (yeah, it took me this long) so here is my first test with it... along with all of my other modules of course! (I tried to label each module I was using in the video with dynamic, animated text.)

Old 9th April 2017
Gear Guru

Well that does it I have to get that other Tonestar, I'll make it the first module I get after I finishing saving for this other synth. It seems I never close enough to starting on my AS case..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search