The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th April 2017
  #2731
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Just sat down and thought about all the equipment and modules I currently have
And what I might need / want in future.

A snip at $2588 surely?



https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/429597


Better start saving up!!

I searched based on functions I might need or want, things that my current modular doesn't do, or doesn't do exactly what I'd like.

I assume most if not all of these modules have been used by others here

And wondering if there were any known issues with these particular modules OR if there were alternatives to them that produced equally interesting results.


It would probably take me quite some time to save up for this, but I am seriously going to start, as I really want these modules

Cheers
I can't say that I have any experience with any of those modules. It does look like a whole lot of filters for that one lonely VCO. Are you using this with other external gear? I'd guess ms20 with the English Tear.
1
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2732
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Been jamming on my modular hardcore the last 3 days, frustrating I can't buy any more new modules or gear for a few months so I have to entertain myself with what I have. I even unpatched the entire system and started from scratch again and what this did was showed me that I had some modules in the wrong places and wrong cases. So today I rearranged quite heavily and again re patched from scratch again, then had a good ol jam before work tonight and was really happy with the new arrangement, I've really got the mantis case perfect now, it just about drives the whole show now and that was what I wanted when I first thought about getting it.

this is how it looks now and how it stay from now on.
2
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2733
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Just sat down and thought about all the equipment and modules I currently have
And what I might need / want in future.

A snip at $2588 surely?



https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/429597


Better start saving up!!

I searched based on functions I might need or want, things that my current modular doesn't do, or doesn't do exactly what I'd like.

I assume most if not all of these modules have been used by others here

And wondering if there were any known issues with these particular modules OR if there were alternatives to them that produced equally interesting results.


It would probably take me quite some time to save up for this, but I am seriously going to start, as I really want these modules

Cheers
Well first off, know that when you get your first few modules in and start getting your hands on them, your plans are probably going to change. Second off, get the biggest case you can afford.

Just a head's up, the AMSynths modules aren't very common. If you want the Arp filter sound, a Studio Electronics 4075 would be easier to find.

Personal opinion, but the Metropolis is kind of pricey for what it is. For a little bit more, you can get the Stillson Hammer mkII. It won't do the pulse count thing like the Metropolis, but you do get four channels with sixteen steps to play with.

Wasp is a very awesome filter, so I doubt you'll regret that one.

That MFB Seq-01 is a percussion sequencer, just so you know, and not a very intuitive one. Entering steps is easy, but erasing them is unnecessarily convoluted for what it is.

I'm not seeing a multiples in here. Also I see only one oscillator, but three filters, so that's not going to get you as much tonal variety as you think. Two envelopes and one LFO for three VCA's and three filters seems kind of limited. And that Clock module is kind of extraneous considering that both of the sequencers you have on here have clocks built in and they can be sent to one another.

I suggest getting the biggest case you can afford, and two or three modules that really appeal to you, and sit down with them for a few day or weeks, to really get to know them. As you play with them, you'll get a better feeling for what you need and have a better idea of where to go from there.
1
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2734
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I even unpatched the entire system and started from scratch again.[/IMG]
You don't start from scratch every time? I guess it is a difference in workflow, but I absolutely HAVE to tear it all down every time and start from scratch or something just won't be right somewhere.

Thinking about it here...my system isn't as large as yours, but for me the bigger it gets the more compelled I feel to start fresh every time. I guess I could see how a bigger system would be troublesome to tear down and rebuild every time but I have a slightly different brand of OCD methinks and undoubtedly will continue this way even if I was walled in my modules.
1
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2735
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Forgot to mention this when I bought them, but I needed some more mid-length patch cables, so I snagged some of these Erthenvar cables with the patch point in the middle since they were about the same price as patch cables I was finding everywhere else. Haven't had a chance to plug them in, but I gotta give credit where credit is due: These feel much more robust than the Stackcables. Plus the patch point in the middle I think makes it pretty flexible for longer cable runs.



Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
You don't start from scratch every time? I guess it is a difference in workflow, but I absolutely HAVE to tear it all down every time and start from scratch or something just won't be right somewhere.

Thinking about it here...my system isn't as large as yours, but for me the bigger it gets the more compelled I feel to start fresh every time. I guess I could see how a bigger system would be troublesome to tear down and rebuild every time but I have a slightly different brand of OCD methinks and undoubtedly will continue this way even if I was walled in my modules.
Ditto. Nearly every time I come to the modular, it's in a blank slate. The only exceptions are if I'm working on a rather complicated patch and I need a day or two to get it the way I want it before recording, or if I'm finishing up late and I'm too tired to unpatch. (Have you ever unpatched a 2268hp system!? Takes forever!)
1
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I suggest getting the biggest case you can afford, and two or three modules that really appeal to you, and sit down with them for a few day or weeks, to really get to know them. As you play with them, you'll get a better feeling for what you need and have a better idea of where to go from there.
Can we like tattoo this on Gearslutz's forehead or something? It's a practically a mantra at this point.
1
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2737
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I can't say that I have any experience with any of those modules. It does look like a whole lot of filters for that one lonely VCO. Are you using this with other external gear? I'd guess ms20 with the English Tear.
I had been thinking of this as an expansion, but it would be good to have a 2nd Osc to make it a better standalone when needed. So I've taken out the robot module and put a vco in there instead

The ecosystem would be

A Microbrute

An MS-20 Mini

this is the modular system I currently have




https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/429688


So still working through my thoughts, have updated the "Expansion System"

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/429597


Thanks so much for your reply!
Old 6th April 2017
  #2738
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Can we like tattoo this on Gearslutz's forehead or something? It's a practically a mantra at this point.
BIGGEST CASE YOU CAN AFFORD

START SLOWLY

MORE VCA'S


5
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2739
Lives for gear
 

the one rule I had when I started my modular was "don't sell anything for modules".
so far so good
but I'm eyeing some unused guitars that have sat in the closet for a few years...
that morphogene has caught my eye.
1
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2740
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Well first off, know that when you get your first few modules in and start getting your hands on them, your plans are probably going to change. Second off, get the biggest case you can afford.

Just a head's up, the AMSynths modules aren't very common. If you want the Arp filter sound, a Studio Electronics 4075 would be easier to find.

Personal opinion, but the Metropolis is kind of pricey for what it is. For a little bit more, you can get the Stillson Hammer mkII. It won't do the pulse count thing like the Metropolis, but you do get four channels with sixteen steps to play with.

Wasp is a very awesome filter, so I doubt you'll regret that one.

That MFB Seq-01 is a percussion sequencer, just so you know, and not a very intuitive one. Entering steps is easy, but erasing them is unnecessarily convoluted for what it is.

I'm not seeing a multiples in here. Also I see only one oscillator, but three filters, so that's not going to get you as much tonal variety as you think. Two envelopes and one LFO for three VCA's and three filters seems kind of limited. And that Clock module is kind of extraneous considering that both of the sequencers you have on here have clocks built in and they can be sent to one another.

I suggest getting the biggest case you can afford, and two or three modules that really appeal to you, and sit down with them for a few day or weeks, to really get to know them. As you play with them, you'll get a better feeling for what you need and have a better idea of where to go from there.
Wow!

Great message! Lots to think about!
I'll look up the Hammer and see what I think.

Made some major changes / improvements

Thanks again everyone!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/429597
2
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2741
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
the one rule I had when I started my modular was "don't sell anything for modules".
so far so good
but I'm eyeing some unused guitars that have sat in the closet for a few years...
that morphogene has caught my eye.


I had planned the same thing, but low and behold, all that's left synthwise is the modular and two samplers.
1
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2742
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Wow!

Great message! Lots to think about!
I'll look up the Hammer and see what I think.

Made some major changes / improvements

Thanks again everyone!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/429597
Just so you know, Analogue Systems have the same sizing as Eurorack, but the hole placement is a little different, so unless you've got sliding nuts in your rack (which I don't recommend) that multiples is gonna eat up another space in hp. There's plenty of cheap 2hp multiples out there so you can throw something else in there as well. Alternatively, get headphone hubs:



They're cheap and take up no extra space.
Old 6th April 2017
  #2743
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
BIGGEST CASE YOU CAN AFFORD

START SLOWLY

MORE VCA'S


This is undoubtedly great advice!

Think my current problem is the whole "Kid in the candy store" thing.

There are so many modules, and modules for so many things I'd love to have - The WASP Filter, the ARP filters, the Polivoks Oscillator, etc etc
1
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2744
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
BIGGEST CASE YOU CAN AFFORD

START SLOWLY

MORE VCA'S


And then you have Genshi doing great stuff without a single VCA in his rack from what I can see.
3
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2745
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just so you know, Analogue Systems have the same sizing as Eurorack, but the hole placement is a little different, so unless you've got sliding nuts in your rack (which I don't recommend) that multiples is gonna eat up another space in hp. There's plenty of cheap 2hp multiples out there so you can throw something else in there as well. Alternatively, get headphone hubs:



They're cheap and take up no extra space.
Thanks for reminding me!
I had read about that before then forgot.
Yeah all my modules are AS, so I'm deeply curious about other manufacturers
Old 6th April 2017
  #2746
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I just realized I never posted my latest jam here. I've been having all kinds of fun with the tiptop One. Having a one shot sample player in the modular is just
There was a big pile on at muffs when folks realized the One did not save the selected sample on power cycles. It is a big oversight but I hate when the armchair engineers over there gang up on module makers and telling them how to design their products.

Anyway I recorded and posted this to try to lighten things up. It's mostly the drum rack with the One. The ambient part is a bunch of sines tuned to various harmonics being brought in and out with Just Friends in LFO mode then sent into Clouds for that big ambient wash sound. Bass is Minitaur.


7
Share
Old 6th April 2017
  #2747
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
You don't start from scratch every time? I guess it is a difference in workflow, but I absolutely HAVE to tear it all down every time and start from scratch or something just won't be right somewhere.

Thinking about it here...my system isn't as large as yours, but for me the bigger it gets the more compelled I feel to start fresh every time. I guess I could see how a bigger system would be troublesome to tear down and rebuild every time but I have a slightly different brand of OCD methinks and undoubtedly will continue this way even if I was walled in my modules.
There is something deeply satisfying about a total repatch, but mostly once the drums and bass synths are patched in they can be left like that for months and it's just a matter of making weird patches with other modules around those staples to come up with something new.. yesterday I had a sick patch going and did something weird on the Robokop, I think I pressed the scale button accidentally with another button and completely ruined this fab patch I had going, man was I so pissed, those times I wished had left well alone as I was trying something different..
Old 7th April 2017
  #2748
Gear Head
 
ZenPunkHippy's Avatar
Entering Eurorack world is starting to feel like the infamous KLF setting a million bucks on fire

Last edited by ZenPunkHippy; 7th April 2017 at 01:14 AM..
6
Share
Old 7th April 2017
  #2749
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
There is something deeply satisfying about a total repatch, but mostly once the drums and bass synths are patched in they can be left like that for months and it's just a matter of making weird patches with other modules around those staples to come up with something new.. yesterday I had a sick patch going and did something weird on the Robokop, I think I pressed the scale button accidentally with another button and completely ruined this fab patch I had going, man was I so pissed, those times I wished had left well alone as I was trying something different..
when you've got a few 'mini systems/voiecs' it makes sense to not repatch everything. when you've got only one 'mini system/voice' to work with, repatching everything is quite ok.
Old 7th April 2017
  #2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
The ambient part is a bunch of sines tuned to various harmonics being brought in and out with Just Friends in LFO mode then sent into Clouds for that big ambient wash sound
like the part when that comes in the best .
2
Share
Old 7th April 2017
  #2751
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
am I the only one who gets pissed off at the placement of patch points on modules..? I'm forever having to move a certain few modules as their in and out are frustratingly always on the wrong side or at the bottom when I want them on the top.. it really does cultivate a special kind of OCD having a modular..
1
Share
Old 7th April 2017
  #2752
Lives for gear
 
ImJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Forgot to mention this when I bought them, but I needed some more mid-length patch cables, so I snagged some of these Erthenvar cables with the patch point in the middle since they were about the same price as patch cables I was finding everywhere else. Haven't had a chance to plug them in, but I gotta give credit where credit is due: These feel much more robust than the Stackcables. Plus the patch point in the middle I think makes it pretty flexible for longer cable runs.

I have a few of those and like them!
1
Share
Old 7th April 2017
  #2753
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Been after Intellijel Quadra for sometime, however now I've got looking at Qu-bit Contour

Any thoughts
Old 7th April 2017
  #2754
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
am I the only one who gets pissed off at the placement of patch points on modules..? I'm forever having to move a certain few modules as their in and out are frustratingly always on the wrong side or at the bottom when I want them on the top.. it really does cultivate a special kind of OCD having a modular..
Not sure the module designers can win on this one, because they don't know if your placing the Modules side by side or on top of one another, so what will be arkward for one user will be perfect for another.
Old 7th April 2017
  #2755
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar


sounds pretty wild imo..

I have no problems grabbing Blue lantern stuff I reckon a lot of it sounds bloody good, this poly voice through a Lo Fi junky would be sweet.
1
Share
Old 7th April 2017
  #2756
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Not sure the module designers can win on this one, because they don't know if your placing the Modules side by side or on top of one another, so what will be arkward for one user will be perfect for another.
true that's why I suggested it's more my ocd with it than anything else, however placement of patch ins and outs is really critical to where i put my modules and some no matter what the arrangement never seem to satisfy..
1
Share
Old 7th April 2017
  #2757
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I'm always moving stuff around to reduce cable runs. Although sometimes this feels like I'm forcing the modular into a specific configuration. I started out putting in modules the way they are usually laid out on fixed monosynths [VOCs] [VCA/mixers] [VCFs] [Envelopes/LFOs] [Outs] but I quickly realized that modulation goes everywhere as does clock signals so I've been putting modulation in the middle and surrounding it with the stuff that needs modulation then moving the more fire and forget modules off to the corners and harder to reach places. That was my rational with the drum rack. It's not like I'm modulating snares, hats, claps and stuff like that very much.
Old 7th April 2017
  #2758
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Been after Intellijel Quadra for sometime, however now I've got looking at Qu-bit Contour

Any thoughts
As a single module, the Contour seems to have more. One you add the Quadra expander, the Quadra probably has a slight edge with the additional logic functions and patch points for EOC and looping. Quadra + expander will be bigger and cost more though.
1
Share
Old 7th April 2017
  #2759
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
And then you have Genshi doing great stuff without a single VCA in his rack from what I can see.
Attenuverters are a hell of a drug...
Old 7th April 2017
  #2760
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
I've once again demonstrated poor impulse control. The Orthogonal Devices ER-301 just went back on sale today and of course I ordered one instead of following through on getting a DPO. It'll be a month or two before I get my hands on it, but it looks like such a fun device, especially for someone with a sampler background.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump