The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
how can you see a maths in all that?
If you look at the full size image outside of GS it's easier to see what the modules are and the font is a dead giveaway. Stalking RD patches is a bit of a hobby for me.

Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
If you look at the full size image outside of GS it's easier to see what the modules are and the font is a dead giveaway. Stalking RD patches is a bit of a hobby for me.

There always this, which looks pretty up to date. Some major changes since I looked a couple of weeks ago.

Current Live Setup by Richard Devine
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
First patch with the Aperture, sequenced with the Metropolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post

I enjoyed both of these. Tutorial and demo patches can be interesting but it's refreshing to hear people really rock out on the modular.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There always this, which looks pretty up to date. Some major changes since I looked a couple of weeks ago.

Current Live Setup by Richard Devine
Like the µBraids - just got to find myself a builder!
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not necessarily for you Genshi, but if you started with the HEK route, this is the best case I've found if you're looking for something simple to gig with ...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_19_koffer_6_he.htm

It'll take two weeks to get the the US, but for ~$100, you can't beat it.
How do you attach rails to that? Drill holes in it?
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Looking at his live recordings at the bottom of this page I can see why people say Eurorack sounds garbage. This does sound crap. I have heard a couple of RD's that I thought were alright but not these. Keep aspiring to Coil!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/39699
Old 4th April 2017
Haven't made any music in ages (been finished ****loads of old tracks), so glad to finally have recorded a new little thing. Varigate 8 and Voltage Block at the center of this little glitchy "jazzy" (I use that word very lightly) sort of thing. That module combo is deadly. The Voltage Block especially is so bloody ace.

Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Haven't made any music in ages (been finished ****loads of old tracks), so glad to finally have recorded a new little thing. Varigate 8 and Voltage Block at the center of this little glitchy "jazzy" (I use that word very lightly) sort of thing. That module combo is deadly. The Voltage Block especially is so bloody ace.

Yep, love that Voltage Block!

Nice job!
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do you attach rails to that? Drill holes in it?
You just drop in a couple of TipTop Z-ears and rails.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You just drop in a couple of TipTop Z-ears and rails.
Ah I got it. The ears rest on top and you screw those in. I like it so you can use it as a transit/live case and take it out if you want.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Anyone ordering the Folktek Mescaline system on indiegogo?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...g/x/16039422#/

I ordered a Copper full system. Estimated release not far, July 2017.
This should complement my current setup well, I have nothing currently from Folktek or of the same type.

One issue I had against getting it was the 44hp per module (3 modules system) but the full systems comes with a 'stand alone metal frame' that holds it al up like in the picture above. So if I need to reclaim those HPs for other modules I can always take these 3 out and use the metal frame as a stand alone unit.

BTW, they have sold 340 full systems so far, and this is what they say about their 350 stretch goal:
"If we sell 350, we'll add the effect control as well as 4 total custom DSP effects to Channel which will take the synth to another level sonically and allow it to be a very powerful effects processor for external sound as well."

10 more and they will reach 350.

Anyone else already ordered one or thinking to order one?
They sold just over 350 ful systems (353 right now) so they made their 350 stretch goal. Good if u ordered already or if u are going to order.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Ah I got it. The ears rest on top and you screw those in. I like it so you can use it as a transit/live case and take it out if you want.
It's just a 6u rack, sort of like a Bento Box. You can tilt it out if you want, but I just put mine on a cheap guitar stand.

In other news, Fugue Machine for the iPad is freaking amazing as hell. Now I need re-rig all my clocking and find a MIDI clock module because I want to run Yarns in 4M mode now for this thing. Just awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-attachment-1-1-.jpg  
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In other news, Fugue Machine for the iPad is freaking amazing as hell. Now I need re-rig all my clocking and find a MIDI clock module because I want to run Yarns in 4M mode now for this thing. Just awesome.
yarns has a thru, connect an Erica clock to it
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not out yet, and it doesn't have a reset. Using the A4 right now (a very expensive clocking module ) with a reset gate on 1 from one of the sequence tracks. I found a DJ1200 cable and will give that a try, but odds are I'll probably have to pick up a Doepfer A-190-8.
Old 5th April 2017
Last module in place today, and I finally got my small, two row Eurorack system sorted out with the modules I need in order to play out live more comfortably. My Birthday last week brought me the new Tiptop Audio Mantis case as well as the Erica Synths Wavetable VCO module, as well as a few of their Pico Series modules.

So this is the first test using all of the modules in this [finally] complete system.

Here's the modular grid screenshot to see exactly what modules I'm using:

Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

I've now come to the conclusion I have no time to make music and my studio is slowly getting built for when I retire in 20+ years time where I will then have time to make music
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I've now come to the conclusion I have no time to make music and my studio is slowly getting built for when I retire in 20+ years time where I will then have time to make music
Of course I do not know what your current work/plans are but I have also been busy with other stuff for years but I must go back to make music. So I am working towards that goal.

Maybe reduce your current 'making-music-time' to something that is realistically possible. You may not have time to make a complete track every week but if you allow yourself 30 minutes modular jams a few times per week it will keep your modular-fix going.

Record your jams and experiments as audio for later use. Multi channels recording if you can. Just keep it going even if running a minimum... don't switch the engine off

then whenever you will get some time-break you can revisit your audio, your patches and make longer tracks
Old 5th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
funny enough I find this a really valid topic on it's own. I've had those thoughts in the past where I'm at work counting the days till I get paid and get another module, then go back to work and do it all again and realise I'm building this behemoth for what..? This is why I demand of myself to make music, use the gear, and cultivate/sell off things that really were silly purchases to begin with.

Lets face it we aren't going to be eurorack superstars when we retire from work, we might play our synths and then go hug the grand children, but you you can really get self analytical when building these things..

*edit I used to listen to sooooooo much cool music in so many different clubs when partying in London all through the 90's, and you know most of it I had no idea who produced it, even some of the electronic album compilations I really didn't know who these people were who wrote all these great tracks. Sometimes I feel like hey whats to stop us being those nameless people that write cool tunes that played in some ambient room at a club or something..?
Old 5th April 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
funny enough I find this a really valid topic on it's own. I've had those thoughts in the past where I'm at work counting the days till I get paid and get another module, then go back to work and do it all again and realise I'm building this behemoth for what..? This is why I demand of myself to make music, use the gear, and cultivate/sell off things that really were silly purchases to begin with.
For me I became intensely curious about the shape of sound and the idea of sculpting sound.

There's no way to describe it to other people without sounding totally barking nuts, I find.

So for me exploring sound and ideas is worth the lame ass things I have to do to cough up the money for the tools

Quote:
*edit I used to listen to sooooooo much cool music in so many different clubs when partying in London all through the 90's, and you know most of it I had no idea who produced it
"Who wrote the music?"

Definitely! Partying all night and morning in places like London and Bristol gave me quite a large exposure to ideas and wonderful sounds.

But without bored hours searching YouTube, or snapping up bargain bin vinyl, I wouldn't have had a clue what the tracks were called or who did them - FOR ANY OF IT.

I still only know a small handful now.

One song I heard at a party aeons ago in Islington suddenly popped into my memory, but there's zero damned chance I'll ever know what it was called or who did it.

Quote:
even some of the electronic album compilations I really didn't know who these people were who wrote all these great tracks.
My favourite has been discovering that so many different artists I've enjoyed over the years were all Juan Atkins with a pseudonym after all.

Same for Psychic TV and loads of others.

Quote:
Sometimes I feel like hey whats to stop us being those nameless people that write cool tunes that played in some ambient room at a club or something..?
Absolutely.

I'd rather have the music "experienced"
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Strangely in sync with this thread, I was watching a few Richard videos yesterday and it was mentioned he'd moved from the triggerman to circadian rhythm now... Also in these vids, he's velcro'd up the spaghetti to make things a bit clearer...
Richard Devine's Live Rig on Modular Grid

He's made some pretty drastic changes since the last time I looked at this. Above the Circadian Rhythm, he's also got a Touch Sequencer. What's kind of sticking out to me though is that he's got two RCD's, two Ladik Random Triggers, four Brsts, and a TON of random generators. Dude relies on random pretty heavily it would appear. Also kinda interesting that he's got a filter next to each Braids module.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Dude relies on random pretty heavily it would appear. Also kinda interesting that he's got a filter next to each Braids module.
those few videos/audio clips I heard of him... mostly sound pretty random layers over his clock/sequencer base tracks.
Liking it or not I guess it's down to personal taste and specific sections within his tracks
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't trust that Thru output on Yarns. It's not a straight Thru, so the Yarns has to crunch numbers before spitting anything out, and it loses data as well as screws up timing. That port is only useful for using the Yarns to sequence. As a Thru, it doesn't work.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Richard Devine's Live Rig on Modular Grid

He's made some pretty drastic changes since the last time I looked at this.
Looks Great, wish i got all my modules for free

Actually id like to build a few Ubraids, ill have to look into that (like how i can build them without giving Magpie a penny)
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't trust that Thru output on Yarns. It's not a straight Thru, so the Yarns has to crunch numbers before spitting anything out, and it loses data as well as screws up timing. That port is only useful for using the Yarns to sequence. As a Thru, it doesn't work.
interesting .

I thought the different modes for the second port would take care of those problems. Thru mode should do no numbers crunching.

from the manual
Quote:
MIDI output routing:
When set to OFF, none of the events received by this part are forwarded to the MIDI out.
When set to THRU, all events received by this part are forwarded to the MIDI out without any processing.
When set to AR(P/SEQ), all the notes generated by this part’s arpeggiator/sequencer are sent to the MIDI OUT.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
interesting .

I thought the different modes for the second port would take care of those problems. Thru mode should do no numbers crunching.
It's still got to go through the onboard computer. I tried having the Erica MIDI-Trigg behind the Yarns in a MIDI chain and with Thru enabled, the timing was just screwed and it kept dropping a lot of notes. It's not a true Thru. By comparison, anything behind the EMW Wave Composition Oscillator received all notes just fine.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

I plan to keep using the Elektrons as a master and not using the Yarns thru. I'll try it, but both the Rytm and A4 conviently have two outputs that will send clock.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Just grabbed another one of these. Usually I skip HEK's because it's cheaper to get uZeus's and rails separately, but I had a discount code and the starter power supply should be enough to get my control boat up and running finally.

Old 6th April 2017
Gear Nut
Just sat down and thought about all the equipment and modules I currently have
And what I might need / want in future.

A snip at $2588 surely?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/429597

Better start saving up!!

I searched based on functions I might need or want, things that my current modular doesn't do, or doesn't do exactly what I'd like.

I assume most if not all of these modules have been used by others here

And wondering if there were any known issues with these particular modules OR if there were alternatives to them that produced equally interesting results.

It would probably take me quite some time to save up for this, but I am seriously going to start, as I really want these modules

Cheers
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

The only parameters adjusted by hand is the levels for each part being faded in at the beginning, and the parts being faded out at the end.

Make Noise Phonogene
Audio Damage Granshift
Doepfer Quad LFO
Nonlinear Circuits Sloth (x2)
EMW Boozy VCF
Mutable Shelves
Mutable Edges
MFB Kraftzwerg
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Mutable Warps
Blue Lantern BMX
Leploop Cassa
EMW Snare Lab 101
Bastl CV Trinity
Flame Machine FX-16
Qu-Bit RT60
Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer
Intellijel Unity Mixer
Doepfer Complex Envelope Generator
Mutable Grids
Analogue Solutions SY02
EMW Analog Drum Synth
EMW VCF Syn12
Mutable Tides
Noise Engineering Ataraxic Translatron
Qu-Bit EON
TipTop Circadian Rhythms
Mutable Peaks
Pittsburgh Analog Delay
Make Noise Moddemix
Mutable Elements
Pittsburgh LFO2
Menqi DPLPG
WMD PDO
Noise Reap Bermuda
4ms PEG
Audio Damage Aeverb
SSF URA
Melu Freak
Zlob Clk Dv
MFB Drum-07
Pittsburgh Verbtronic
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Just sat down and thought about all the equipment and modules I currently have
And what I might need / want in future.

A snip at $2588 surely?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/429597

Better start saving up!!

I searched based on functions I might need or want, things that my current modular doesn't do, or doesn't do exactly what I'd like.

I assume most if not all of these modules have been used by others here

And wondering if there were any known issues with these particular modules OR if there were alternatives to them that produced equally interesting results.

It would probably take me quite some time to save up for this, but I am seriously going to start, as I really want these modules

Cheers
The Wasp has a tendency to fry one of the chips on it. Might want to have some extras on hand. Can't remember which chip. There are a number of threads on muffs about it.

I'm going to be selling my English Tear. PM me if you're interested.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search