The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
CHORD........ come and join the future
lolpolyphony

Srsly, I can already do the same sort of thing on 4Vox, so that's just too much overlap.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
CHORD........ come and join the future

Very amusing My first thought was is this a track done with Qubit chord? Obviously not. If it sounded this bad I wouldn't want one. Warp have a lot of good and bad stuff. Reminds me of an old house track from Liverpool about Hope Street but was much better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn40v7N3V9c
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

On a slightly more serious note.

How apt, relevant, or useful do you think it is to have an an understanding of composition, musical theory and history for composing with modular? Please discuss.
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Addict
I've got a Macbeth Elements (managed to score one!!!) to pay off, so won't be able to start my modular system until late January at the soonest, but have been researching non-stop day and night. Some of the modules I'm quite certain on are: Endorphins.es Furthrrrr Generator, Makenoise Erbe-Verb, Phonogene and Maths. Having a hard time deciding on VCF, VCA, etc. Choosing a VCF is especially proving difficult. Any suggestions for how to approach that selection? Also looking for suggestions for a great sequencer and any other generally cool/unique modules. I do mainly ambient stuff, nothing too glitchy, just mellow warm stuff.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

I not sure if musical theory would help, its all about understanding voltage.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hello friends!! New to these modular threads. I just started the journey into modular. I bought a Tiptop HEK and a Pulp Logic kit to convert a Korg Monotron into a module. I don't have a succinct plan yet, but plan on doing as much diy as possible, building a couple of voices, then getting weird/ non utility modules.

I will likely not use a KB and just use it for textures and noise at first.

Very excited.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
I've got a Macbeth Elements (managed to score one!!!) to pay off, so won't be able to start my modular system until late January at the soonest, but have been researching non-stop day and night. Some of the modules I'm quite certain on are: Endorphins.es Furthrrrr Generator, Makenoise Erbe-Verb, Phonogene and Maths. Having a hard time deciding on VCF, VCA, etc. Choosing a VCF is especially proving difficult. Any suggestions for how to approach that selection? Also looking for suggestions for a great sequencer and any other generally cool/unique modules. I do mainly ambient stuff, nothing too glitchy, just mellow warm stuff.
VCA wise I'd go for MI Veils, at the price it's hard to beat.
Filters..... What flavour milkshake do you want....get the one your ears like and not what somebody else's ears like.

I've got 7 sequencers in my modular and just lately I've been using Beatstep pro instead, so I'm probably not the guy to ask about sequencers.

You mention ERB Verb, well don't go rushing out buying it yet as Audio Damage will be releasing EOS in the not to distant future which will be perfect for Ambient stuff.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Can the new Pamela sort of replace a Butumi and MI Grids. I have none of the modules at the moment, but Grids and Butumi are on my wishlist. But it seems Pamela can do a lot of the same stuff. Anyone has all three modules?
Paméla.....I love you.....noooooooot!!!!!
Actually I forgot another good clocking module, the Octocontroller. That one will do both clocks and LFO's. As for Pamela's, not that I know of.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

One more quick Chord demo. I moved the case back upstairs over the holidays so I could just play whenever (plus the studio room gets really cold this time of year). I've got to move it back soon and start working on some real songs.

Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
One more quick Chord demo. I moved the case back upstairs over the holidays so I could just play whenever (plus the studio room gets really cold this time of year). I've got to move it back soon and start working on some real songs.

excellent stuff, technically how is keystep controlling chords? Enlighten me
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post

Sounds nice. Everything you hear is coming from that Mantis case? Or is there some other elements playing (from a computer or drum machine)?
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post

How apt, relevant, or useful do you think it is to have an an understanding of composition, musical theory and history for composing with modular? Please discuss.
I think it has the same importance as it does for creating music with any instrument, whether it be a softsynth, vintage analogue, modular or other.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Really depends on what type of music you're doing. Some music doesn't mind non-theory following while other music genres typically do. IMO, knowledge of theory is lessened even more so in modular as there's so much randomized tones. As always it never hurts and can be very helpful at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
Hello friends!! New to these modular threads. I just started the journey into modular. I bought a Tiptop HEK and a Pulp Logic kit to convert a into a module. I don't have a succinct plan yet, but plan on doing as much diy as possible, building a couple of voices, then getting weird/ non utility modules.

I will likely not use a KB and just use it for textures and noise at first.

Very excited.
Get familiar with the DIY section of muffs and ask @CANecreek for all the facebook pages he follows. ModularAddict, Synthcube, Thonk, Tayda, Mouser and Smallbear are all sites to get familiwar with to buy pcbs/panels, kits, parts, etc.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
excellent stuff, technically how is keystep controlling chords? Enlighten me
The KeyStep is a CV controller; gate, pitch, mod, and clock. I'm mult'ing the pitch CV and sending it to Chord and others,

Quote:
Sounds nice. Everything you hear is coming from that Mantis case? Or is there some other elements playing (from a computer or drum machine)?
Almost everything is in the Mantis, drums are from an Analog Rytm. All the effects are in the modular. I just did a bit of "glue" type compression on the track in post.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just a quick clip of the Squarp Pyramid sequencing the MDUW and Braids in PLUK mode:https://www.instagram.com/p/BO_QsYJA...recycledcities
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Guru

I have no idea what Cane is on about half the time when he talks about his DIY stuff, but I still enjoy reading it..
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I've got 7 sequencers in my modular and just lately I've been using Beatstep pro instead, so I'm probably not the guy to ask about sequencers.
me too, I never feel like I exploit my sequencers fully, but I recently tried spending more time rereading the manual for the beatstep pro. it really works well as a master sequencer controlling modular sequencers. I have the velocity out going in to the cv in no the audio damage seq1. if any of your sequencers have good cv ins, try checking that out. this was my 'big discovery' last month.

also, didn't you mention something about diying the random source hau taible? from what demos I've heard, that thing sounds incredible.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyham View Post
also, didn't you mention something about diying the random source hau taible? from what demos I've heard, that thing sounds incredible.
I did have plans to build RS Haible Phaser and Dual Wasp filter but as usual i got side tracked and spent money on other euro stuff, they are still firmly on my radar.
RS will release the Serge NTO soon which will also take priority
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Get familiar with the DIY section of muffs and ask @CANecreek for all the facebook pages he follows. ModularAddict, Synthcube, Thonk, Tayda, Mouser and Smallbear are all sites to get familiwar with to buy pcbs/panels, kits, parts, etc.
Anybody who's into DIY and wants to get into the next step of the more complicated SMD builds in the "ghub open source network" PM me and ill point you in the right direction for FB groups/communitys that provide PCBs, Panels, Advice etc.
PS there is Thru-hole stuff too.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I have no idea what Cane is on about half the time when he talks about his DIY stuff,
Neither do i
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Maniac

QU-Bit Nebulae alternate instrument walkthru

Here's a video I made showcasing some alternate instruments available for the Nebulae.
Hope it's of some use.

Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did have plans to build RS Haible Phaser and Dual Wasp filter but as usual i got side tracked and spent money on other euro stuff, they are still firmly on my radar.
RS will release the Serge NTO soon which will also take priority
I've got a 10% off discount from ModularAddict, and I'll likely be picking up the Dual Wasp to replace my single wasp, in addition to the Res EQ from RS.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

I am quickly realizing that 84hp HEK is gonna fill up FAST.

I am likely going to DIY up a case. Thinking Moogish wood cheeks, Tiptop rails (possibly not as sliding nuts seem to omit gaps better). Maybe incorporate some folding type of setup for portability or to simply put it away sometimes. Would be nice to fold up patched too.

Any viable power options that are good/ great that won't break the bank? Interested in ones that have +- 12 and 5v.

May also incorporate some 1u for tiles/ diy mults...
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The reason I asked this is because I'm trying to figure out how modular can fit with more traditional composition. Not just from my perspective but the whole canon of musical history. I learn so much much from classical composition but also modern composition - my main instrument is guitar but I have also taken up piano over the last couple of years. And I'm wondering how modular can fit into this? I'd say I'm more East Coast than West Coast in the sense of having a synthesizer I can easily manipulate to create the kind of bass or lead sounds I would like.

I sat down today and sculpted a bass sound I liked with the Omikron module then played around with Maths and some LFO and I just came back to the raw dual voice and this was all I needed. Then I added some piano and violin from Kontakt libraries and suddenly it took a different direction and became a more orchestral piece and the analogue bass didn't fit.

It doesn't always turn out like this obviously; sometimes it might be a more electronic composition or even guitar. I like to keep things open and get insight and naturally follow where the idea might go.

So I would like to ask how modular fits creatively into your studio? Are you more West Coast experimental or East Coast and traditional in your composition? I am still trying to work this out. I think there is a lot value in experimenting and I'm enjoying learning about synthesis, how it works and creating my own patches. But just going back to compose with Kontakt libraries today was a breathe of fresh air being able to think about composition and not purely sound design, and spending hours just playing around with patches. I hope there will be some point where I can quickly know what I want from modular and patch something that will be useful in a composition.

Beautiful soundtrack from The Painted Veil I watched recently including the great Erik Satie. The composer Alexandre Desplat is really great also and particularly like 08:53 - 04 River Waltz. The correlation between classical (modernist and traditional) and electronica is interlinked and complementary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEpeZzl6Dh0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Desplat
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!

I'm in the camp that learning theory at all ruins the brilliant naivete of one's music. Ultimately, self-taught musicians end up with their own sense of music theory, but when they don't know what rules they are and aren't breaking, it becomes more of an artform than an algebraic equation. (Not electronic I know, but Deftones are a great example of self-taught musicians that write great songs that accidentally know the rules. Deadmau5 apparently doesn't even know how to keyboard, but that's a loose definition of 'good' music there.)

I know for me personally, I liked the music I made before I learned theory. After learning theory, I found that my keyboard-oriented compositions became reallllly formulaic and annoying. I switched to doing most of my songwriting on guitar while consciously ignoring what notes I'm playing on the strings so that I'm playing more by feeling than by 'what note sounds best after this one?' to get around it. In fairness, I've read that when you first start studying theory your music becomes formulaic, but there's a point where your music branches out and becomes more adventurous again when you learn the more advanced concepts. I've never encountered that point myself, so I just don't recommend learning theory at all if you want to make music that you're happy with.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This guy's got the same opinion I do. I've got a bunch of sequencers in my racks because I'm neurotic as hell, but the BSP gave me the most joy when I owned one. If I were a smarter cookie, I'd get rid of most of these sequencers and get a BSP again, but nooooooo, "if it's not in the rack, it's not worth keeping!" ...stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVLAB View Post
Here's a video I made showcasing some alternate instruments available for the Nebulae.
Hope it's of some use.

The guy I bought my Nebulae from (and subsequently will be returning it to on Monday) was saying that Nebulae modules in general are prone to loading issues and won't load your samples/instruments properly rather frequently. As a Nebulae owner, is this your experience as well, or do you think he was just trying to keep me from returning it? I'd love to have a fully-operational Nebulae eventually. The few times it worked, it sounded like a lot of fun before it would crash.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup!

Quote:
I am likely going to DIY up a case. Thinking Moogish wood cheeks, Tiptop rails (possibly not as sliding nuts seem to omit gaps better). Maybe incorporate some folding type of setup for portability or to simply put it away sometimes. Would be nice to fold up patched too.
If you haven't messed with sliding nuts yet, try not to. Tiny gaps or not, TipTop's rails are sooooo much easier to install modules into and take them out of. You're likely to think "Oh, I'll never rearrange my modules, so leaving them in the same configuration and putting up with sliding nuts is fine!" but you're wrong. I have two racks with sliding nuts that I reserve for "this will never be rearranged" and they still get rearranged rather frequently.

Quote:
Any viable power options that are good/ great that won't break the bank? Interested in ones that have +- 12 and 5v.
If you've got an HEK coming anyway, give the uZeus a chance. The beginner wall wart sucks, but you can get Synthrotek's power supplies for cheap as a replacement and boost the juice on the uZeus. uZeus can handle up to two amps and the starter supply is like half an amp if even that much. I've got three uZeus's, a Doepfer PSU2, and a Super Power and so long as I allocate power correctly instead of trying to power my whole rack with one supply, the uZeus's give me the least headaches. Seriously debating ditching the Doepfer and the Super Power for more uZeus's even.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

May also incorporate some 1u for tiles/ diy mults...
I built a 6U IKEA RAST a few years back, i choose the best quality parts and its lovely however for how much it cost me to build i could of bought a 9U Doepfer case.

So from that moment on i chose to buy may cases already built and concentrate my DIY on the modules themselves.

As for Power i only trust Doepfer simply because I've used Doepfer since day one and never had a single issue.
I have 1 Doepfer 12U Monster case, 1 Doepfer Monster base, 2 x 9U Doepfer cases and a Rast powered by Doepfer, i guess i like Doepfer cases
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!

I'm in the camp that learning theory at all ruins the brilliant naivete of one's music. Ultimately, self-taught musicians end up with their own sense of music theory, but when they don't know what rules they are and aren't breaking, it becomes more of an artform than an algebraic equation. (Not electronic I know, but Deftones are a great example of self-taught musicians that write great songs that accidentally know the rules. Deadmau5 apparently doesn't even know how to keyboard, but that's a loose definition of 'good' music there.)

I know for me personally, I liked the music I made before I learned theory. After learning theory, I found that my keyboard-oriented compositions became reallllly formulaic and annoying. I switched to doing most of my songwriting on guitar while consciously ignoring what notes I'm playing on the strings so that I'm playing more by feeling than by 'what note sounds best after this one?' to get around it. In fairness, I've read that when you first start studying theory your music becomes formulaic, but there's a point where your music branches out and becomes more adventurous again when you learn the more advanced concepts. I've never encountered that point myself, so I just don't recommend learning theory at all if you want to make music that you're happy with.
This is an interesting (and, imo, very important) discussion to have. I think it's necessary to ask yourself what your musical ambitions are and decide, based off the answer, how to move forward.

Personally, I was classically trained on piano from the age of five, but quit around 12 in order to pursue guitar. Theory or, more broadly, anything even mildly academic was never my thing, I just never had the mind for the 'boring' stuff- as a result, I never absorbed much. I took guitar lessons for about a year when I was 15/16, but the teacher was horrible, only teaching me songs I wanted to learn with tabs. From 16-27 (my age now) I 'winged it', not applying any theory whatsoever to any of my music. All of my compositions were a result of heaps of trial and error and I'm totally fine with that as there's a bunch of genuinely good stuff in my catalog (largely guitar-based).

A few months ago I got really into jazz and got a teacher and some theory books. Only a couple lessons in I realized (again) that the scholarly approach to music was not me. Unfortunately, for the kind of jazz I was wanting to master, theoretical proficiency is quite central. I, too, believe that becoming a theoretical genius removes some of that beautiful naivety only afforded by untrained musicians, but maybe that's the reasoning of a lazy person? I still wonder if I've got some sort of a learning disability as I've found it incredibly hard to learn/absorb anything for a very long time. It can be a very defeating feeling, never knowing what you're doing. Things end up taking a lot longer. But that kind of makes me wonder... is there a 'right' way to do music? Of course not. I think-- and, again, this could just be a lazy persons justification-- that a lot of musicians who are theoretically proficient end up creating predictable and, at times, downright anemic compositions. But there's of course exceptions to both sides... I call musicians from both camps my favourites. The beauty is, imo, in keeping the listening experience vague, making it so that the listener can't tell if the creator is trained or untrained, only hearing good music.

One more thing I'd like to mention and get some feedback on from folks belonging to both sides of the theory debate...

Gary Burton, a well known and highly respected jazz musician, suggests that:

musically untrained listeners who are unable to analyze a piece harmonically, contrapuntally, and otherwise in theoretical terms are unable to grasp fully the beauty of it and are therefore forever relegated to a vague, impressionistic experience of music.

I'll admit that I felt quite destroyed when I read that as I knew I'd never be 'that guy'.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search