The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I use a magnifying lamp. At first, it was mostly because it really focused the light on my work area but now I kinda rely on the magnification too.
Just my reading glasses are fine for SMD however a Loupe is essential for inspection, I've found faults with the Loupe that were not visible with my magnifying glass.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Yes, but i only ever show you my successes not my failures
Somehow I have a feeling that your successes are the vast majority of your projects, not your failures.

My to-do list had shrunk down to a manageable size, but now it's now grown tremendously. Music Thing Spring Verb, Synthasystem VCF, Ornaments & Crime, Music Thing Chord Organ, NLC Squid Axon, MA DTM, Zlob VnIcursal VCA. But I can't seem to be torn away from attempting to build my own circuits...need...more...time!
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

First patch with the Aperture, sequenced with the Metropolis.

Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Somehow I have a feeling that your successes are the vast majority of your projects, not your failures.

My to-do list had shrunk down to a manageable size, but now it's now grown tremendously. Music Thing Spring Verb, Synthasystem VCF, Ornaments & Crime, Music Thing Chord Organ, NLC Squid Axon, MA DTM, Zlob VnIcursal VCA. But I can't seem to be torn away from attempting to build my own circuits...need...more...time!
Time is the enemy
Old 1st April 2017
Quote:
Turing Machine Pulses if you have a Turing Machine.

Some of NLC's latest modules are SMD and most aren't too big or gnarly. I've still got a squid axom that needs to be done, and it's not overly big although it doesn't come in kit form.

Find something with 0805 components as they're the biggest.

As @CANecreek said, flux is your friend. Flux up the pads. I also use smaller diameter solder and smaller desoldering wick. You'll want some good tweezers also.

I too use reading glasses in general, sometimes with a magnifying visor. When I'm checking or if I need help checking components for polarity, I'll use a loupe, that's attached to my visor.

Once you do it, you'll wonder why you were so afraid to try it for so long.

Quote:

Cool, thanks for the tip. I need to give it a go soon. Where did you score the Music Thing Spring Reverb these days? Been on the lookout for PCBs or kits, but haven't found anywhere with stock. :(
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Cool, thanks for the tip. I need to give it a go soon. Where did you score the Music Thing Spring Reverb these days? Been on the lookout for PCBs or kits, but haven't found anywhere with stock. :(
It was actually an impulse buy. I'd had no plans or intentions of adding a verb to my rack, but I was purchasing some pots at Thonk as SmallBear was out of the sizes I needed, and they had the PCB on sale for like $6 or something. So I picked it up and a panel. Looks like they still have it if you can deal with the white panel: 5.50 pounds. https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-t...nels-and-pcbs/
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hadn't touched the modular in probably four or five days. Gave it a spin tonight.

Have to say I LOVE Just Friends! Such a modulation beast.

Anyone seen the E350 MK2 thread over at muffs? Looks like it's going to be the business. Attenuation on inputs, LED to show wavetables, ability to load your own wavetables, and Clouding. Oh and "better" audio quality with better op amps.
Just Friends is one of those rabbit hole modules for me. It looks like Tides with some extra outs on the surface but they really took that idea and ran with it. All the modes are really well thought out.

On the E350 mk2, I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on the original. I always wanted to try it but it came down to E350 vs. Braids and the rest is history. I can't say I regret the decision. But I always liked the simplicity of the E350 and I could see using both.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
This actually made it to ModularGrid
Mutant Chicken Hexinverter Électronique

I'm glad there's still a little sense of humor in the modular scene. April 1st has not really delivered this year. I guess we're all a little burt out bullsh|t
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No rack space

You know what the answer here is and now that you've got money from the new job...... Grats on the O&C build. I've heard it's not an easy build.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Lots of Omsonic VCF (that thing is a gorgeous beast). Was also very happy with the way the chords came out, it's just STO-Optomix-Maths-Wogglebug and a boatload of delays. Also the disco-esque single note lead was me forcing myself to use the Wogglebug Smooth VCO because I never do. In addition to the meaty sound I love the way it drifts in and out of tune.

Still kicking the tires on o_C, I haven't even had it out of Quantermain mode yet heh. This week I'm going to futz around with the funky modulators, though, they look really cool. Or the chord modes. Or the sequencer. Or the envelopes. I do like the Turing mode in Quantermain, not only is it well setup with the quantization scales but you can use external CV controllers for its values (perhaps I'll have to bump up that Planar in the purchase order). And the whole reason I wanted a dual quantizer was for Turing+Volts; having it all in the same single interface is kind of sweet. I'm rethinking that 10hp in the other case for the Turing Machine v2 if I'll have 2 o_C (and one always in Quantermain).

Also this week I finally got around to updating my Octocontroller to 1.1; the cable cost me just shy of $30 with shipping. In addition to channel mutes, which I haven't made much use of yet but I'm sure I will, the combination of 24ppqn clocking (now I only need to run one instance of Silent Way Sync) and External Clock Mode (shuts down when the clock stops) are even better than I thought.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post

That was excellent. Sounded like a lot more than just two modules at play. What else did you have going on? How were you changing your sequence?
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

That. Was. AWESOME!
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was that the Demora on the drums for the glitch stuff, or the Warps / Parasite delay?
When it glitches, that's Scooper. I swear, that thing almost feels like I'm cheating anytime I use it because it's so easy to glitch with. Just route some LFO's to the scatter type and depth controls and it pretty much takes care of itself whenever you kick it on. The only limitation is that you have to sample into it first before you can glitch.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another EP from me made on the modular/eurorack.
Good stuff, man. Went ahead and snagged it. Can you tell us a bit about how you did the drums? I really like how organic they feel.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
New module from Expert Sleepers..

Announcing the "General CV" | Expert Sleepers - Home

1st April 2017 - Expert Sleepers announce a new Eurorack module, the General CV, which places a full General MIDI sound set under CV control.

"For too long, Eurorack users have been denied important sounds such as 'Voice Oohs', 'Orchestra Hit' and 'Shakuhachi'," says Expert Sleepers founder Andrew Ostler. "We're delighted to finally bring these classic tones under CV control where they belong."

The General CV will show at the Superbooth show, Berlin, in April 2017.

Too bad it's not legit. I messaged Delptronics about their GM module ages back and he said 'soon', but still no sign of it. I know that sounds weird, but a little GM synth would be a lot of fun to send sequences and just mutilate the hell out of.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Might have to do a little demo thing soon. Got some of the modules I ordered in over the last few days, and some of these are just awe-inspiring. The M101 is a great filter, the FreqShift is really cool, but ERD/SIR... that one feels like a holy relic. It's random, but in a very strange manner of it. Like in plague mode, it repeats this cycle of randomized CV outputs, but each cycle has a slight change in it. It can get pretty weird, especially controlling pitch.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should join the closed group Facebook page for all your PCB/panels etc
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

May I just say sorry for not commenting on most of the videos/tracks people post on this thread, as I mostly visit this thread on my iPhone it's not an ideal platform to scrutinise people's music, I only do if I have headphones available.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Why can you never have enough VCA's? I wanted to share this which has been quite a revelation to me as I never really understood what VCA's were and just used them for gate and mixing and his has opened up a whole new world and shown me how fundamentally important VCA's are to sound shaping. I was thinking you could have a perfectly adequate system with VCO, Envelope, LFO and a few VCA's if you know how to use them properly. I also came across the Lynda.com Learn Modular Synthesis looking for lessons which I really need, also a good one on the Mother 32. Needless to say they are out there if you like hunting. I decided I have enough gear for now and need to really understand how to use what I've got and stop impulse buying, but probably will look at replacing or adding complete voice modules in the future like Atlantis or Shapeshifter or Elements. Genshi - I was really impressed with your live performance and rack set up. Which says to me even more I need to understand what I've got and what is most useful to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7GHU3BcKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PyfKL08jA

I have made a new acquisition but not modular. I am really a guitar player first and have been taking piano lessons for the last year and wanted some nice weighted keys and just got a b-stock Axus D2 digital piano. I haven't tried it (as most music shops stock is limited) and I think they only sell these from Normans music store. I did try the Yamaha Arius and Casios but didn't quite like the feel but the Kawai £1k's were impressive but out of my price range. But from the reviews I've read it sounds very good.

https://www.normans.co.uk/product/ax...th-bench-black
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
You know what the answer here is
I have 2 x Empty Doepfer 9U cases, but nowhere to put them
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Why can you never have enough VCA's? I wanted to share this which has been quite a revelation to me as I never really understood what VCA's were and just used them for gate and mixing and his has opened up a whole new world and shown me how fundamentally important VCA's are to sound shaping. I was thinking you could have a perfectly adequate system with VCO, Envelope, LFO and a few VCA's if you know how to use them properly and my journey has started. I also came across the Lynda.com Learn Modular Synthesis looking for lessons which I really need, also a good one on the Mother 32. Needless to say they are out there if you like hunting. I decided I have enough gear for now and need to really understand how to use what I've got and stop impulse buying, but probably will look at replacing or adding complete voice modules in the future like or or Elements. Genshi - I was really impressed with your live performance and rack set up. Which says to me even more I need to understand what I've got and what is most useful to me.
I never really understood the whole can't have enough vca's either and TBH I still don't think I do, I mean I have a quad vca and a Blue lantern Hexagon vca which has 6 vca's so 10 in total plus the verbos tone controller so 11 vca's and tbh I only use a couple at any time, sometimes I don't use any, when you have drum modules and full synth voices the needs for vca's diminishes almost completely. Envelopes/LFO's/attenuators you can never have too many of though, shaping utilies are much more fun and used readily in my system than vca's..
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never really understood the whole can't have enough vca's either and TBH I still don't think I do, I mean I have a quad vca and a Blue lantern Hexagon vca which has 6 vca's so 10 in total plus the verbos tone controller so 11 vca's and tbh I only use a couple at any time, sometimes I don't use any, when you have drum modules and full synth voices the needs for vca's diminishes almost completely. Envelopes/LFO's/attenuators you can never have too many of though, shaping utilies are much more fun and used readily in my system than vca's..
Completely agree. Vcas are overrated! Envelopes and LFOs just make my life easier.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I just patched two voices a sine and triangle sub into two channels of uVca controlled by two ADSR through JP8 filter. The VCA control of the signal is just great and I get such a lovely rich bass sound. I've just been using Veils as a mixer and should think about taking the output directly for each voice to my AI soundcard for post processing.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/patc...grid_28064.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-bass-patch-2.jpg  
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post

Lots of Omsonic VCF (that thing is a gorgeous beast). Was also very happy with the way the chords came out, it's just STO-Optomix-Maths-Wogglebug and a boatload of delays. Also the disco-esque single note lead was me forcing myself to use the Wogglebug Smooth VCO because I never do. In addition to the meaty sound I love the way it drifts in and out of tune.
Nice job on this one! One of my favs from you. Love the stabs!
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

I just thought it would be a nice to do some patch demonstration for sharing ideas and for us newbies.
Old 2nd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Good stuff, man. Went ahead and snagged it. Can you tell us a bit about how you did the drums? I really like how organic they feel.
Awesome! Thanks a lot. I've used Rings in modal mode (with various external input) a lot, Basi Alter and samples from Bitbox/Pico drums filtered through various filters being modulated. The hi-hats are usually noise through a filter, then a VCA, and I use a sample and hold (Telephone Game) to modulate the filter cutoff, as well as the decay envelope (Quadra expander) on the hi hat VCA, so that some hits are longer (but just very slightly), and there's varying degrees of filtering.

Quote:
You should join the closed group Facebook page for all your PCB/panels etc
Indeed! Which groups are that?

Quote:
It's kind of a mantra being thrown around a bit too much, in my opinion. You can do just fine without a bunch of VCA's, really. I think it's from the earlier days, where you mainly had Doepfer modules around, and needed VCA's to be able to modulate stuff more. Now, a lot of modules have VCA's built in, so you don't necessarily need that extra VCA to control it.

Still though, VCA's are really handy for modulating modulation. It's ace for adding detail and subtelty to a track. Vary the volume of a VCA ever so slightly by patching it through a second VCA being modulated by a sequencer, for instance, or run an LFO through a VCA to voltage control the strength of the LFO etc.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Completely agree. Vcas are overrated! Envelopes and LFOs just make my life easier.
When you stop thinking of VCAs in terms of mere volume control of audio signals, it makes a lot more sense. But even that video does some cool things with audio control, especially explaining the difference between exponential/linear VCA control.

Say you've got a melody playing on every quarter note and you're using an envelope to control the filter cutoff. Instead of having the envelope go directly into the filter cutoff, run it through a VCA with gain/bias on 50%/half. Now take a triangle LFO or different envelope running at double the speed of the clock into that VCA channel's CV control and adjust the CV control from anywhere to 50% to 100% and run that VCA output channel into the filter's cutoff. Now you get additional rhythmic variation of the cutoff. You can change the clock triggering the envelope or reset the LFO at different clocks and get a lot more rhythmic variations.

Using something like Basimilus Iteritus or Neuron for drum sounds, with all their CV capabilities can really benefit from running the CV controls through a VCA.

This is one of the reasons I really love the Malekko Voltage Block - it's a CV sequencer, so I can precisely specify the CV at any given step of the clock. It can take the place of CV-modulated VCAs. But I still love my VCAs too.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you stop thinking of VCAs in terms of mere volume control of audio signals, it makes a lot more sense. But even that video does some cool things with audio control, especially explaining the difference between exponential/linear VCA control.

Say you've got a melody playing on every quarter note and you're using an envelope to control the filter cutoff. Instead of having the envelope go directly into the filter cutoff, run it through a VCA with gain/bias on 50%/half. Now take a triangle LFO or different envelope running at double the speed of the clock into that VCA channel's CV control and adjust the CV control from anywhere to 50% to 100% and run that VCA output channel into the filter's cutoff. Now you get additional rhythmic variation of the cutoff. You can change the clock triggering the envelope or reset the LFO at different clocks and get a lot more rhythmic variations.

Using something like Basimilus Iteritus or Neuron for drum sounds, with all their CV capabilities can really benefit from running the CV controls through a VCA.

This is one of the reasons I really love the Malekko Voltage Block - it's a CV sequencer, so I can precisely specify the CV at any given step of the clock. It can take the place of CV-modulated VCAs. But I still love my VCAs too.
This^: from turning CV signals on and off to ramping them up and down to enveloping them at certain events, you need VCAs to do that. There are VCAs 'hidden' in some modules we know and love but that's how you modulate modulators. Can you make complex patches without modulating modulators? Sure. There's more than one way to skin a ca...well synth people would never skin cats. But it's an extremely powerful gateway to more complex patching. And as a bonus, compared to more brute force approaches, it's a space and money efficient methodology (VCAs tend to be cheap and small).

Just as an example from one of the patches posted above:
I wanted to throw S&H CV rhythmically at the filter cutoff. So I got that all set in where I wanted it, froze the S&H sequence (<3 Octocontroller!) and scaled it up. But then it occurred to me: how much extra special sauce would there be if, instead of just applying that CV to the cutoff, I was to ramp it a bit each bar so that it breathes rhythmically a tad. So put the S&H CV into a VCA, get a ramp LFO, bias it to a starting point I like and adjust.

It's really easy to breathe extra life into patches this way. And with all the on-board attenuation and offsets everywhere it makes scaling a lot less painful.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
That was excellent. Sounded like a lot more than just two modules at play. What else did you have going on? How were you changing your sequence?
Bass is the Omikron going through the Aperture. EMW Alias is doing a simple, sub-bass drone on the root note. Wooglebug is doing the 8th note clang. The wierd sample thing is one of the Radio Music Nagra loops coming out the Disting Mk4 going through Clouds and then gated with a Doepfer A-150 (reminded me of some of the Emu factory sounds). Sequence is changed using a Disting Mk3 in precision adder mode and quantized by an O_c. Additional drum are from an Analog Rytm.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Question for you guys, I'm looking for a trigger to gate converter. Especially something that where the gate length would be configurable based on clock input. Sounds like the sort of thing Doepfer would make, but I haven't come across anything yet.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search