The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
C-C-C-C-CANCER!!!!
Kudos for beating it. Cancer and suicide ravage my family, so it's always uplifting to hear when somebody survives it. And melanoma is still a bugger, even if it isn't the worst cancer out there. In the US, that's the one that's notorious as a killer because it often goes unnoticed until it's too late.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Chick I know from high school went to South Korea to teach English over there. Even though she constantly complains about her employers, she loves it over there and is never leaving. For a lot of people that go overseas to teach, it's a one way trip.
SE Asia is great. The culture, weather, people etc. but teaching English is not a career and is one reason I came back. The Engineers who go over to work are really quids in, earning more money and less tax than back home. If I could go back and do my current job I would... I think I can and should look into it.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pquarta1 View Post
Not sure if the best place to post this, but I follow and read this thread and the knowledge is insane. So, here I go:

Looking for some input. In short, I currently have Moog Mother (x2), Korg MS-20Mini and the Phenol. Looking to expand into a 6u setup to close the loop. Also have Analog Keys that I'll incorporate for CV/Gate tracks. Thinking about a BS Pro, primarily for TRIG outs to use as a clock divider/else, but clearly the additional 2 channels of CV/Gates could be handy. Plan to sequence heavily from DAW through MIDI input on YARNS.

Music Style: Globally quite industrial (dance, rock, metal), but am getting more into ambient as well. Incorporate lots of guitar and bass into the work. I generally like Melodic vs Random. Drums will be from the DAW, so not looking to drum modules per se.

Already ordered the following:

Yarns, Braids, Peaks, Veils, Tonestar 2600, ALM S.B.G. (Malekko device shown in place of), Maths, Cinnamon, and Buffered Mult.

Considering as well:
Shapeshifter OR E350
Warps
TipTop Quantizer
Triatt (mostly as offset and small 1,2 or 3-channel mixer)

Is there anything glaringly missing, or suggestions? Processing (Reverb, Effects, etc...) will be pedals and vsts, though not opposed to the idea of some modules for processing audio.

I can use the filters in Mothers and 2600, as well as the Envelopes, LFOs, and VCAs (though there are obvi limitations as they;re normalled).
I'm gonna agree with the others and say slow your roll, but I'll also comment that as somebody that's also into industrial, Warps is going to help a lot. If I were you, I'd install the Parasites OS on it as soon as you get it, and start preparing to run your drums through that sucker. Drums on this thing were all ran through Warps with an envelope being triggered that modulates the effect at the beginning of each bar so that it's gnarly and nasty at the beginning and just a little bit more tame by the end:

Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Well, Mr. UPS just stopped by with the start of my new row ... Fsck, the Aperture is amazing! So freaking dirty! As for the Metro; Instant, wicked bass lines within the first few minutes I had it plugged. This is what I've been looking for to take me away from the ambient junk I was creating previously. Finally, the new Disting let's me get back into using it as a sample playback device (and soon, a full sampler). The Mk 3 can be my poor-man's PeG or precision adder.
Metrop is crazy cool I go to it nearly every single time I fire up the modular..
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm gonna agree with the others and say slow your roll, but I'll also comment that as somebody that's also into industrial, Warps is going to help a lot. If I were you, I'd install the Parasites OS on it as soon as you get it, and start preparing to run your drums through that sucker. Drums on this thing were all ran through Warps with an envelope being triggered that modulates the effect at the beginning of each bar so that it's gnarly and nasty at the beginning and just a little bit more tame by the end:

That's some weird gnarly stuff
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Damn, dude. I had been having second thoughts about putting Warps in my Mutable row, but that was sick! It's staying in the plans now.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Metrop is crazy cool I go to it nearly every single time I fire up the modular..
I've only spent about an hour with it so far, too beat down with a damn cold right now to do much more patching, but simply running a S/H to modulate "stage" makes me not regret spending way too much on what would be my 6th, euro-friendly, sequencer. The result are totally what i would spend hours, if not days trying to hand craft back in Cakewalk for DOS 3.0 on my Emax 25 years ago. Completely random, but still rooted and musical. It's one of those modules that I've wanted from the beginning, but kept applying logic, thinking I didn't need it with all the other sequencing options I have.

Tomorrow, I'll start patching with the precision adder on the Disting and see where that takes me.

Aperture is sort of the same with my first experience. You can look back and see me asking about the Plague Bearer from time to time back when I had just one 104hp row, trying to find some grunge for my rack. With the Aperture, I was able to dial up a 303 from hell type sound from the get go, just what I was looking for. With all the modulation inputs, that's going to be a real fun one also.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Was that the Demora on the drums for the glitch stuff, or the Warps / Parasite delay?
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I've only spent about an hour with it so far, too beat down with a damn cold right now to do much more patching, but simply running a S/H to modulate "stage" makes me not regret spending way too much on what would be my 6th, euro-friendly, sequencer. The result are totally what i would spend hours, if not days trying to hand craft back in Cakewalk for DOS 3.0 on my Emax 25 years ago. Completely random, but still rooted and musical. It's one of those modules that I've wanted from the beginning, but kept applying logic, thinking I didn't need it with all the other sequencing options I have.

Tomorrow, I'll start patching with the precision adder on the Disting and see where that takes me.

Aperture is sort of the same with my first experience. You can look back and see me asking about the Plague Bearer from time to time back when I had just one 104hp row, trying to find some grunge for my rack. With the Aperture, I was able to dial up a 303 from hell type sound from the get go, just what I was looking for. With all the modulation inputs, that's going to be a real fun one also.
I told myself I wouldn't buy any more filters but the Aperture and another one I've been looking at are really testing my resilience to buy...must resist.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I told myself I wouldn't buy any more filters but the Aperture and another one I've been looking at are really testing my resilience to buy...must resist.
I'll try and record a quick sample this weekend. It's sounds similar to what I heard with the VCF-74 demo. There's a feedback feature on the Aperture with a toggle, either pretty tame or that crazy Wasp type resonance. Additionally, there's an input level that allows you to overdrive the original signal. Asides from that, I'm a sucker as to it's origin / the story behind the design. DivKid describes it better than I ever could in the Filters episode of his podcast.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Hadn't touched the modular in probably four or five days. Gave it a spin tonight.

Have to say I LOVE Just Friends! Such a modulation beast.

Anyone seen the E350 MK2 thread over at muffs? Looks like it's going to be the business. Attenuation on inputs, LED to show wavetables, ability to load your own wavetables, and Clouding. Oh and "better" audio quality with better op amps.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Anyone seen the E350 MK2 thread over at muffs? Looks like it's going to be the business. Attenuation on inputs, LED to show wavetables, ability to load your own wavetables, and Clouding. Oh and "better" audio quality with better op amps.
It looks sweet! Here, let me steal a picture of it! ;-)

Old 1st April 2017
Another EP from me made on the modular/eurorack. Mellow beats and melodies from a swamp in Zambia. Can be downloaded for free from MarsMelons (the label) directly, or streamed from Bandcamp & Soundcloud:

MMx113 JL & Modarch - Hovering The Wetlands - MarsMelons
https://molthe.bandcamp.com/album/hovering-the-wetlands

Comments - negative and positive - all welcome!

(PS! Feel free to remove if inapropriate in this thread!)
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what's up with Whimsical Raps/Mannequins, but I'm losing hope that there will be a Three Sisters available in the future and am in need of a filter. I'm currently thinking about grabbing an Intellijel Polaris since it's quite versatile. I've got Ripples and an Optomix in the rack, as well as a Mother 32 and MS-20 Mini, so I have some filter options already, and the Polaris seems like it would be good at covering other territory. Anyone using one in their rig have any opinions on it?
Old 1st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I'm not sure what's up with Whimsical Raps/Mannequins, but I'm losing hope that there will be a Three Sisters available in the future and am in need of a filter. I'm currently thinking about grabbing an Intellijel Polaris since it's quite versatile. I've got Ripples and an Optomix in the rack, as well as a Mother 32 and MS-20 Mini, so I have some filter options already, and the Polaris seems like it would be good at covering other territory. Anyone using one in their rig have any opinions on it?
Analoghaven has it listed as "in stock". It's an excellent filter, one of my absolute favorites. Get it!

Mannequins | Analogue Haven
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

New module from Expert Sleepers..

Announcing the "General CV" | Expert Sleepers - Home

1st April 2017 - Expert Sleepers announce a new Eurorack module, the General CV, which places a full General MIDI sound set under CV control.

"For too long, Eurorack users have been denied important sounds such as 'Voice Oohs', 'Orchestra Hit' and 'Shakuhachi'," says Expert Sleepers founder Andrew Ostler. "We're delighted to finally bring these classic tones under CV control where they belong."

The General CV will show at the Superbooth show, Berlin, in April 2017.

Old 1st April 2017
Quote:

1st April 2017 - Expert Sleepers announce a new Eurorack module, the General CV, which places a full General MIDI sound set under CV control.

"For too long, Eurorack users have been denied important sounds such as 'Voice Oohs', 'Orchestra Hit' and 'Shakuhachi'," says Expert Sleepers founder Andrew Ostler. "We're delighted to finally bring these classic tones under CV control where they belong."

Hmmm, I wonder what date it is today.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

No magic smoke, worked first go thank god

Old 1st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post

Nice - wonderful module! I really need to learn SMD. Any tips on an easy first time SMD kit? Do you use goggles of any kind when you solder SMD parts?
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

So you could play piano on your eurorack mmm... interesting. I guess the delightful thing about this would not be playing realistic sounds (otherwise why not just use a synth/home keyboard or sample library) but mangling them with CV modulation and effects. The application sounds good for jamming and live work, as for recording I would probably use a Komplete library though - but to be able to mangle GM sounds that does sound interesting.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

No rack space

Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Nice - wonderful module! I really need to learn SMD. Any tips on an easy first time SMD kit? Do you use goggles of any kind when you solder SMD parts?
No goggles, i do wear reading glasses as at 45 my eyes are starting to fail.
I find with SMD the key is plenty of flux then the solder will always find its way to the pad.
I've not bought kits in a long time, however the "Nobots Double Buff" looks a good SMD starter kit.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well funny enough, April Fools jokes aside.. I remembered I saw this one on Delptronics site

General Midi Audio Eurorack Module
4HP, Midi input, L/R output but no CVs... just a GM sound set module. "Coming Soon"
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

This actually made it to ModularGrid
Mutant Chicken Hexinverter Électronique

Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Turing Machine Pulses if you have a Turing Machine.

Some of NLC's latest modules are SMD and most aren't too big or gnarly. I've still got a squid axom that needs to be done, and it's not overly big although it doesn't come in kit form.

Find something with 0805 components as they're the biggest.

As @CANecreek said, flux is your friend. Flux up the pads. I also use smaller diameter solder and smaller desoldering wick. You'll want some good tweezers also.

I too use reading glasses in general, sometimes with a magnifying visor. When I'm checking or if I need help checking components for polarity, I'll use a loupe, that's attached to my visor.

Once you do it, you'll wonder why you were so afraid to try it for so long.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

You're getting the hang of this DIY lark by the looks of it..
Old 1st April 2017
Here for the gear

The first "must have" module of 2017

Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

I don't know what other people do, but i got a thin piece of perspex which i glue in-place to protect the screen from dust and finkers touching it, i did the same with braids.

Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No rack space

Nice! I've been so tempted lately by the Random Source and Elby DIY stuff. (I think I might have said this earlier in the thread). Right now I'm leaning very heavily towards some of Romans Buchla DIY. Today I'm trying to build up the courage to start my TTSH.

Quote:
No goggles, i do wear reading glasses as at 45 my eyes are starting to fail.
I find with SMD the key is plenty of flux then the solder will always find its way to the pad.
I've not bought kits in a long time, however the "Nobots Double Buff" looks a good SMD starter kit.
I use a magnifying lamp. At first, it was mostly because it really focused the light on my work area but now I kinda rely on the magnification too.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're getting the hang of this DIY lark by the looks of it..
Yes, but i only ever show you my successes not my failures
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search