The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Great to hear you beat the big 'C'.

Now I'm older I realise I'm at the bottom of the chain and have been programmed from birth that I have to work, that 15 months off gave me time to reflect and realise my prioritys, I'm afraid eurorack is now not top of the list (prior it was)
It wasn't as bad as what other people suffer, mine was melanoma from surfing a lot as kid, it was in a nasty place though right on my temple, it was a really tricky operation, it really knocked me around for weeks after, had bandage covering one side of my head for weeks, I still suffer from the odd sun cancer spots and have several cut out from my back and shoulders. Back when I was kid surfing in comps everywhere, every weekend all up and down the mid north coast, all day out in the blazing sun, we never thought about sun protection like they do now, bit of zinc on the nose and that was it..
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

I was interested if anyone here in Europe is going to Superbooth.

https://www.superbooth.com/en/
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
It wasn't as bad as what other people suffer, mine was melanoma from surfing a lot as kid, it was in a nasty place though right on my temple, it was a really tricky operation, it really knocked me around for weeks after, had bandage covering one side of my head for weeks, I still suffer from the odd sun cancer spots and have several cut out from my back and shoulders. Back when I was kid surfing in comps everywhere, every weekend all up and down the mid north coast, all day out in the blazing sun, we never thought about sun protection like they do now, bit of zinc on the nose and that was it..
Sounds like you had a fantastic time surfing as a kid. What I wouldn't give to live in a hot country again just to sit outside and enjoy the sun.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Thanks very much for your help making my mind about this - I just purchased a built Penrose
It's a fun little module. Hope you enjoy it my friend!

Quote:
Kudos as well on beating cancer - far too prevalent in my family.

Surfing every day sounds like a blast though. I love surfing!

The things we did out of naivete when young...
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sounds like you had a fantastic time surfing as a kid. What I wouldn't give to live in a hot country again just to sit outside and enjoy the sun.
yeah there's nothing quite like it, it has kept me alive this long all that exercise and fresh air, 10 / 12 hrs a day in summer just out in the water all day waves and food and waves and food, just wish I had of been more aware of sun damage back then.
Old 31st March 2017
Here for the gear

Looking for feedback/advice

Not sure if the best place to post this, but I follow and read this thread and the knowledge is insane. So, here I go:

Looking for some input. In short, I currently have Moog Mother (x2), Korg MS-20Mini and the Phenol. Looking to expand into a 6u setup to close the loop. Also have Analog Keys that I'll incorporate for CV/Gate tracks. Thinking about a BS Pro, primarily for TRIG outs to use as a clock divider/else, but clearly the additional 2 channels of CV/Gates could be handy. Plan to sequence heavily from DAW through MIDI input on YARNS.

Music Style: Globally quite industrial (dance, rock, metal), but am getting more into ambient as well. Incorporate lots of guitar and bass into the work. I generally like Melodic vs Random. Drums will be from the DAW, so not looking to drum modules per se.

Already ordered the following:

Yarns, Braids, Peaks, Veils, Tonestar 2600, ALM S.B.G. (Malekko device shown in place of), Maths, Cinnamon, and Buffered Mult.

Considering as well:
Shapeshifter OR E350
Warps
TipTop Quantizer
Triatt (mostly as offset and small 1,2 or 3-channel mixer)

Is there anything glaringly missing, or suggestions? Processing (Reverb, Effects, etc...) will be pedals and vsts, though not opposed to the idea of some modules for processing audio.

I can use the filters in Mothers and 2600, as well as the Envelopes, LFOs, and VCAs (though there are obvi limitations as they;re normalled).
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-modulargrid_425835.jpg  
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pquarta1 View Post
Not sure if the best place to post this, but I follow and read this thread and the knowledge is insane. So, here I go:

Looking for some input. In short, I currently have Moog Mother (x2), Korg MS-20Mini and the Phenol. Looking to expand into a 6u setup to close the loop. Also have Analog Keys that I'll incorporate for CV/Gate tracks. Thinking about a BS Pro, primarily for TRIG outs to use as a clock divider/else, but clearly the additional 2 channels of CV/Gates could be handy. Plan to sequence heavily from DAW through MIDI input on YARNS.

Music Style: Globally quite industrial (dance, rock, metal), but am getting more into ambient as well. Incorporate lots of guitar and bass into the work. I generally like Melodic vs Random. Drums will be from the DAW, so not looking to drum modules per se.

Yarns, Braids, Peaks, Veils, Tonestar 2600, ALM S.B.G. (Malekko device shown in place of), Maths, Cinnamon, and Buffered Mult.

Considering as well:
Shapeshifter OR E350
Warps
TipTop Quantizer

Is there anything glaringly missing, or suggestions? Processing (Reverb, Effects, etc...) will be pedals and vsts, though not opposed to the idea of some modules for processing audio.

I can use the filters in Mothers and 2600, as well as the Envelopes, LFOs, and VCAs (though there are obvi limitations as they;re normalled).

I would suggest not buying anything else until you can get all that in and play around with it. Once you do that, you'll get a much better idea of what you want and need.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Considering as well:
Shapeshifter OR E350
Warps
TipTop Quantizer

I just thought I'd mention that you can power all that with one uZeus. I have all this powered now with one and I would suggest getting a high amp PSU like the Uzueus boost universal adapter which I have.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_421527.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-my-eurorack.png  
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was interested if anyone here in Europe is going to Superbooth.

https://www.superbooth.com/en/
It falls on the same weekend as the Pagan festival "Beltane", so I'll be in a field in the dark with a huge fire banging drums and smoking dope with druids.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Tried to finish off my O&C DIY on Wednesday and for some strange reason the solder just wasn't flowing, not sure if it's the iron but I made a right mess, I just put it all away and I'll come back to it when things are working correctly.

Random Source Serge NTO turned up this morning, might build that tonight providing there's no children to mind and the solder is flowing correctly.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tried to finish off my O&C DIY on Wednesday and for some strange reason the solder just wasn't flowing, not sure if it's the iron but I made a right mess, I just put it all away and I'll come back to it when things are working correctly.

Random Source Serge NTO turned up this morning, might build that tonight providing there's no children to mind and the solder is flowing correctly.
Bummer on the O&C. Wonder if you got a flaky soldering iron because I've never had issues with mine.

Is the NTO partially built already a la the Wave Multipliers? That one had all the SMD components already done, so it was merely a case of putting the boards together with headers and putting the pots/jacks in.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Bummer on the O&C. Wonder if you got a flaky soldering iron because I've never had issues with mine.

Is the NTO partially built already a la the Wave Multipliers? That one had all the SMD components already done, so it was merely a case of putting the boards together with headers and putting the pots/jacks in.
I got the hakko iron as a step up and from day one it's always felt like a step down compared to the Duratool iron I used to use, I've tried various tips and there's something just not right.

Yes the SMT is all done on the NTO, just pots/jacks/trimmers/headers and one capacitor to solder.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was reading the manual to my new long term synth purchase last night, and in just one good long sitting I think I understand it pretty well..
Ah so its a SEM/Two Voice or a Dominion! Nice choices
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

I thinking my next purchase might be a Korg SQ-1, I'm in no rush so I'll just wait till a bargain appears.
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Guru

so good..
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Ah so its a SEM/Two Voice or a Dominion! Nice choices
can they do 16 LFO's..??

Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thinking my next purchase might be a Korg SQ-1, I'm in no rush so I'll just wait till a bargain appears.
At just $99, how much more of a bargain do you want?
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Considering as well:
Shapeshifter OR E350
Warps
TipTop Quantizer

I agree with the other post. Slow down a bit ... Most of the items you list you don't really need yet with what you have. Given that you already have up to 6 voices. I personally would recommend a cheap LPG, and then a clock divider. I'll also throw in my typical recommendation of a Disting to help you learn what you might be missing.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

so good..
The Atlantis is not quite there in character but still good. I think a little overdrive distortion or a touch more chorus would help.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
can they do 16 LFO's..??

how we're talking... hmm what synth can do 16 LFO's? hmm.
8 Voice pro is the only one that comes to mind - 8 dual oscillators could be used at 16 LFOs. That's a dream synth for certain. and it would require someone to 'build' it from 8 SEM modules (since Tom won't).
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
At just $99, how much more of a bargain do you want?
£99 in UK, but I'm told they were £79 when first released.
Old 31st March 2017
Two things... first, I got a new TipTop Audio Mantis case as a late birthday present, so I don't have to lug around the two Synthrotek Skiff Boats that I had (too awkward to take those out for live performances while patched.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSSDCRsB...aken-by=genshi

And secondly, I'm exploring new things, and I can only find a couple of videos for the Rabid Elephant Knobs, and was wondering if anyone here has one/used one, and how do you like it? How do you use it? Is it sort of like Maths, but different? (I don't have, nor do I want Maths; mostly because of my current HP space limitations.)

I'm thinking of using the Rabid Elephant Knobs with my Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO (when it finally arrives) and maybe a Wavefolder (μFoldII?)
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

I took some measurements and I've got room to expand. went out and bought some 168hp rails and it's gonna be good

but after that there's no more room.
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Nut
Excuse the dumb question here

The thing is I haven't had my modular very long and I got it already fully assembled.

Looking ahead, thinking of saving up for this..

https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_a_...FcWfGwod-jQEPw

But here's what I'm curious about

On the bottom of this geezer is a lot of expansion space.
But is that ready to go with power?

So just buy the modules, open it up and slot them in?

Or would I need to buy a further PSU for the bottom portion of the case?

Cheers!
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Looking ahead, thinking of saving up for this..

https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_a_...FcWfGwod-jQEPw

But here's what I'm curious about

On the bottom of this geezer is a lot of expansion space.
But is that ready to go with power?

So just buy the modules, open it up and slot them in?

Or would I need to buy a further PSU for the bottom portion of the case?

Cheers!
It's got a PSU3 power supply ( +12V 2000mA | -12V / 1200mA | +5V/2000mA) already in it. The two rows probably only consume about half that power (to know exactly build the case in modular grid and it'll give you the current totals). The case will have a bus board for each row.

So you're ready to go. open it up and slot them in your new modules.

EDIT:
here, I put it together for you
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/426964
Power Consumption: 780 mA +12V | 540 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V | Depth: 60 mm | Price: €1.877

Last edited by oinkbanana; 31st March 2017 at 11:30 PM..
Old 31st March 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the responses. I will hold off on anything new and utilize what I've got. It is certainly enough.

Fired up the braids, yarns, and cinammon tonight. Added some verb, delay, and RML Fuzz. Fun was had.

The phenol is a great little bugger too.

Excited to get into this stuff.

Genshi, love your vids on Youtube. The early Mother vids you put up inspired me to get into the modular side of things.
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
It's got a PSU3 power supply ( +12V 2000mA | -12V / 1200mA | +5V/2000mA) already in it. The two rows probably only consume about half that power (to know exactly build the case in modular grid and it'll give you the current totals). The case will have a bus board for each row.

So you're ready to go. open it up and slot them in your new modules.

EDIT:
here, I put it together for you
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/426964
Power Consumption: 780 mA +12V | 540 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V | Depth: 60 mm | Price: €1.877
Awesome!
Wow!
Thanks.

Yeah, let the ramen noodle diet begin!
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Well, Mr. UPS just stopped by with the start of my new row ... Fsck, the Aperture is amazing! So freaking dirty! As for the Metro; Instant, wicked bass lines within the first few minutes I had it plugged. This is what I've been looking for to take me away from the ambient junk I was creating previously. Finally, the new Disting let's me get back into using it as a sample playback device (and soon, a full sampler). The Mk 3 can be my poor-man's PeG or precision adder.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-fullsizerender-4-.jpg  
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
there are just so many things to do in this world! Too many things really.
With so much to live for, who could be bothered with living at all?

Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I lived in Taiwan as an English teacher for 4 years and it was like being on holiday and working at the same time.
Chick I know from high school went to South Korea to teach English over there. Even though she constantly complains about her employers, she loves it over there and is never leaving. For a lot of people that go overseas to teach, it's a one way trip.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search