The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th March 2017
  #2521
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Hey Apros what's the synth above the MS 20..?
Old 30th March 2017
  #2522
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Hey Apros what's the synth above the MS 20..?
MFOS Soundlab builld I got off ebay sometime back.
MATRIXSYNTH: Analog Health Club synthesizer
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2523
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Since we're posting pics, thought y'all might like to see pics of my setup. The Ozzy lighter and Nauga are totemic, and hence intrinsic to process.
Wulie looks like a 200/200a?
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2524
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
MFOS Soundlab builld I got off ebay sometime back.
MATRIXSYNTH: Analog Health Club synthesizer
Nice never seen that one before, just when you think you've seen every synth ever made someone pops a pic up of another different one..

I decided last night that I'm going on a very long voyage to purchase a unique interesting synth. I contacted the company that makes it last night and spoke to them about a few logistical things and decided I will start right now saving some small $ and hopefully one day will be able to get one, it's not that expensive to most people but to me it will take a year easily to save for it, when I have it I will show it here and then I'll be able to say I also have a unique strange kinda instrument that will be the talking point of my studio. It's actually also very small and can come with me everywhere. It's modular also, euro.

Everyone should have one really special but of kit right that they play and love and becomes part of their sound, well I found one last night and the voyage to get one starts today.
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2525
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I decided last night that I'm going on a very long voyage to purchase a unique interesting synth. I contacted the company that makes it last night and spoke to them about a few logistical things and decided I will start right now saving some small $ and hopefully one day will be able to get one, it's not that expensive to most people but to me it will take a year easily to save for it, when I have it I will show it here and then I'll be able to say I also have a unique strange kinda instrument that will be the talking point of my studio. It's actually also very small and can come with me everywhere. It's modular also, euro.
Cool!

Good luck saving up for it asap!

I need to STOP buying new gear NOW...
Well...actually I need to stop buying new gear three or four weeks ago...

I will though.
The lord will give me strength....

I'm sure he will.
Maybe I should not watch YouTube for a few months.
And not go outside. And live in a cave.
Just to be sure.

Quote:
Everyone should have one really special but of kit right that they play and love and becomes part of their sound, well I found one last night and the voyage to get one starts today.
Nice one!

Well hope it takes you lots of lovely new places.

My personal favourite piece of kit is the MS-20 Mini.
It just gets into my mind.
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2526
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm legit jealous. Your x0x-heart panel is so much more awesome than mine. When I bought mine on the crowd funding campaign, they stuck Grayscale panels on all of them.
To be honest I'm not going to DIY the xox heart main board as a populated one is only $79 so not worth the time/effort ordering/soldering small components. I will DIY the control board.

PS that Aluminium Xox panel cost £3 off the Facebook group.
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2527
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
prior to the job I have now I was unemployed for two years, the company I worked for went bankrupt and then I had surgery for cancer, so 2 years off and look after everything at home while the missus worked, we battled hard for money but i was happy as hell, grew my hair and dreads back down my back again and spent all day in my garden with my little daughter..

then one day the wife says to me i should think about going back to work, I said sure no probs, I had an idea where I could get a job and was back working within 2 weeks at the place I'm at now, thing is I still look after everything at home and work...lol I enjoy not struggling for money as much but i'd much prefer to not work tbh, I'm always much happier tinkering at home and making the absolute most of everything I have, I'm a frugal beast when not working but it gives you a massive appreciation for the things you do have, when I was unemployed the only gear I had was a behringer MIDI controller and imac with reason 4, but man I got the most out of it..
Great to hear you beat the big 'C'.

Now I'm older I realise I'm at the bottom of the chain and have been programmed from birth that I have to work, that 15 months off gave me time to reflect and realise my prioritys, I'm afraid eurorack is now not top of the list (prior it was)
2
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2528
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Now I'm older I realise I'm at the bottom of the chain and have been programmed from birth that I have to work, that 15 months off gave me time to reflect and realise my prioritys, I'm afraid eurorack is now not top of the list (prior it was)
When I lived and worked in California, I was working my ass off doing 60 hour weeks. And being treated like crap by my bosses, because I was only doing 60 hours, while some others were putting in 80. This wasn't for my company, or a company I had a percentage of, or anything. This was just a job.
I was getting 11 days off a year, and they would rather I cashed in those 11 days and not actually take any damn days off work.

Moving to the UK was sort of a revelation. First off I started working 37.5 hour weeks. I was still working 5 days a week but I now had 30 days holiday rather than 11. Anyway, since then I've jumped down to 30 hours a week, and reclaimed Friday for myself.

I just had to look at my actual expenses and needs.

When I was working 60 hours a week. I had no energy to do anything at all.
Now the balance is a lot better.

Most people I've met, its never really occurred to them to sit down and work out what they actually need to put in, work wise, to get what they need.
They just grab any old job they can get and never question the hours or the days or if it works for them or not.
2
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2529
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Wulie looks like a 200/200a?
Yeah, that's my baby. The sound I always wanted to to make. Billy Preston, Doors, Floyd, Stevie Wonder, Sun Ra, Ray Charles, Gnarls Barkley. Electro-mechanical instruments have such a different vibe. I was playing in an Americana 3-piece with a dude who owned a music store in NC. We'd practice in the shop. One evening I came in with my K, and he had that there. I turned it on and played 3 notes before asking, "How much am I paying you for this?" He cut me a pretty sweet deal.
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2530
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I decided last night that I'm going on a very long voyage to purchase a unique interesting synth. I contacted the company that makes it last night and spoke to them about a few logistical things and decided I will start right now saving some small $ and hopefully one day will be able to get one, it's not that expensive to most people but to me it will take a year easily to save for it, when I have it I will show it here and then I'll be able to say I also have a unique strange kinda instrument that will be the talking point of my studio. It's actually also very small and can come with me everywhere. It's modular also, euro.

Everyone should have one really special but of kit right that they play and love and becomes part of their sound, well I found one last night and the voyage to get one starts today.
spill the beans, whats the synth!
3
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2531
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Hey Apros what's the synth above the MS 20..?
THERE IS NO SYNTH ABOVE THE MS 20!



Sorry.... Couldn't resist....
3
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2532
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
spill the beans, whats the synth!
My money is on a VL-1 Tone

That's what I'm mentally picturing until he posts otherwise
Old 30th March 2017
  #2533
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
spill the beans, whats the synth!
He said it's modular and euro, so I'm thinking it's a passive multiples.
2
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
He said it's modular and euro, so I'm thinking it's a passive multiples.
And I was positive it would be inline attenuverters...
2
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2535
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Yeah, that's my baby. The sound I always wanted to to make. Billy Preston, Doors, Floyd, Stevie Wonder, Sun Ra, Ray Charles, Gnarls Barkley. Electro-mechanical instruments have such a different vibe. I was playing in an Americana 3-piece with a dude who owned a music store in NC. We'd practice in the shop. One evening I came in with my K, and he had that there. I turned it on and played 3 notes before asking, "How much am I paying you for this?" He cut me a pretty sweet deal.
Well played. I'm looking to sell mine ATM. I prefer my Rhodes for EP duties, but the Wurlie is a fabulous EP.
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2536
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
This is looking interesting for Sequencing, Sampling companion to modular unless one already has or wants to keep sequencing and sampling within the case

Akai MPC X
Akai Professional MPC X Standalone Sampler and Sequencer | Sweetwater

4 Midi Outs + 8 CV/Gate Outs
Hi, being busy with acoustic treatment and other things I stopped looking at the MPC-X... from the latest video on Sonicstate looks like the 8CVs outs can be configured in a number of ways, e.g. 4 couple of CV+Gates to drive 4 monsynths....
(SEE video at 9:41)
and record to MPC the MPC's knobs twists to record changes in e.g. cutoff/res/etc.. on your modular


Good stuff
3
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2537
Gear Addict
 
Endorfinity's Avatar
Hey fiddlestickz, mungo state zero?
Old 30th March 2017
  #2538
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Sonic Potions Penrose Quantizer



I don't quite get this. It seems more like a sequencer than a quantizer? So you select the notes you want in a scale but how do you know what scale you are in? unless you have a chart or know every scale off by heart? If you only select two notes - does it only play two notes or select a scale based on that - I guess it doesn't. And how does this compare to a uScale, Flame or Disting quantizer function?

Does it do the same thing as the Flame and uScale here?



Old 30th March 2017
  #2539
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Sonic Potions Penrose Quantizer

I don't quite get this. It seems more like a sequencer than a quantizer? So you select the notes you want in a scale but how do you know what scale you are in? unless you have a chart or know every scale off by heart? If you only select two notes - does it only play two notes or select a scale based on that - I guess it doesn't. And how does this compare to a uScale, Flame or Disting quantizer function?

Does it do the same thing as the Flame and uScale here?
The quantizer doesn't actually sequence anything, it merely converts the CV input into notes in a typical scale. If you pass in a trigger in, it converts the CV value at that instant to a note in the scale specified. You define the scale by pushing the notes on the "keyboard."

With all three options you listed, you can specify notes of a scale in this manner, but the uScale and Flame do more with allowing you to specify a scale, etc. The Penrose is more immediate as there's no menu-divey/button combo things, but less functionality. All three are very playable however.

With the Penrose, you have to define the scale yourself with the notes you've pressed down. It helps to know a bit about scales for this, but not necessary if you don't mind switching up the scales from their standards. (with all of the different minors, blues, etc knowing what the scale is, is kind of overrated - just use what sounds good to you)

If you only select two notes, yes it just plays those two notes, but depending on the CV being passed in, may play them in different octaves. You may also get the same note played multiple times or in different octaves depending on the trigger in.

Disting is the least playable of those mentioned. It just converts incoming CV to a note in a scale, with some options for CV on the Z. Flame and uScale are the most playable with the most functionality, but button press combos. Penrose is exactly what you see, simple, but playable. The uScale has some issues that were supposedly going to be fixed a year or so ago, but never fixed and no response from them. I decided against it for that reason. I have the Penrose and like it. Another nice thing about the Penrose vs the uScale is the gate out for when the note changes. Not sure if the Flame has that.

Another one to potentially check out is WMDs Arpitecht, due out next month I believe. You don't get the playability with the note selection, but a knob and CV control over the scale choice, LEDs showing which notes are in that scale, and then another knob/CV control over notes in that scale that are "masked out" or removed from the output.
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2540
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Sonic Potions Penrose Quantizer



I don't quite get this. It seems more like a sequencer than a quantizer? So you select the notes you want in a scale but how do you know what scale you are in? unless you have a chart or know every scale off by heart? If you only select two notes - does it only play two notes or select a scale based on that - I guess it doesn't. And how does this compare to a uScale, Flame or Disting quantizer function?
Haven't used the Penrose, but judging by a couple of videos, yup--looks like a quantizer. Seems like has much the same functionality as the uScale, albeit, looks like it has a trigger input more like the Doepfer, which seems sensible to me, as it avoids the freak-out behavior the uScale can be prone to. (I like my uScale, but if I'm sending rapidly changing CV to it, I find I need a sample and hold inline before it.) But yes, it is helpful to know what scales you're trying to enter.

My pet-peeve is that all these keyboard-styled quantizers have the keyboard upside down! I want C on the bottom, not at the top! What the crap is that even?

Oh, and by the by...
http://www.bandcoach.org/KSC/scales-1.png
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Man, not me. I used to work in security, and most of the folks in that industry are retired from other jobs. What I learned from talking to them is that full-on retirement kinda sucks. You think "oh, I'm going to have so much time to do such and such!" but in reality, that hobby you're so passionate about now needs to keep you occupied seven days a week. You get bored of it pretty quickly. Thought that was a load of crap until I started accumulating enough leave for two week vacations instead of my usual one week, and found myself bored out of my skull early into the second week. I was actually excited to go back to work! That's when I changed my plans: No retirement for me! I'm gonna work until I'm dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
It's really this way with anything IMO. Ever been on a vacation in a tropical paradise for more than 2 weeks or so? I have, and regardless of how amazing it is eventually you start to crave your own weather (40's and rainy) and your accustomed headspace pretty quick. Even worse If you go on vacation without your kids it's only fun for about 4 days.

I have been unemployed since graduating college last Spring, and now it's this freakin Spring. I am bored to tears with ALL of my hobbies and leisure activities, including music. Productivity is out the window compared to this time last year when I was buried in heavy classwork for graduation I recorded about 30-40 different tracks that became 2 albums and more...The only thing that motivates me to make music at all now is collaboration and that comes slowly since it's mostly over the web these days.
Wow! No offense guys, especially since I respect both of you and your posts normally, but, if you two are bored, then you are doing it wrong. I never understood anybody getting bored in life... there are just so many things to do in this world! Too many things really.

I've been out of work for over 5 years now*, but I had always been frustrated having to have a day job working for someone else because I had so many things to do in my own life (I guess it's my entrepreneurial spirit) and now that I seemingly have all the time in the world, it's not enough to actually do all the things I want to do; which is why I usually only get 2 hours of sleep each night. Also, being broke doesn't help; if I was rich, then I can really get down to doing all the things I want to do (creating think tanks, starting a foundation and research lab, saving the world, etc.)

But especially if you are a just a creative artist, how can anyone get bored with that!? especially you Derp, after seeing that studio of yours, it kind of pisses me off hearing you say that you are bored. Maybe you should just give me all of your gear and I'll show you how not to be bored with it!

Be less bored. Be more productive.

*since I'm such a multi-tasker, every day job I've ever had always took advantage of it; like when I worked at M-Audio, my official job title was "Senior Audio Editor" but I was also their Technical Writer, a Product Manager, their Icon Designer (since the 5 guys in their Graphics department didn't know how to do that) their fill-in Photographer, and various other duties that came up that no one else could do. Due to that, along with all of my previous experience, and running my own $100,000 per year business from 2008-2010, I am now apparently "over-qualified" to work a day job.
4
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2542
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
The quantizer doesn't actually sequence anything, it merely converts the CV input into notes in a typical scale. If you pass in a trigger in, it converts the CV value at that instant to a note in the scale specified. You define the scale by pushing the notes on the "keyboard."

With all three options you listed, you can specify notes of a scale in this manner, but the uScale and Flame do more with allowing you to specify a scale, etc. The Penrose is more immediate as there's no menu-divey/button combo things, but less functionality. All three are very playable however.

With the Penrose, you have to define the scale yourself with the notes you've pressed down. It helps to know a bit about scales for this, but not necessary if you don't mind switching up the scales from their standards. (with all of the different minors, blues, etc knowing what the scale is, is kind of overrated - just use what sounds good to you)

If you only select two notes, yes it just plays those two notes, but depending on the CV being passed in, may play them in different octaves. You may also get the same note played multiple times or in different octaves depending on the trigger in.

Disting is the least playable of those mentioned. It just converts incoming CV to a note in a scale, with some options for CV on the Z. Flame and uScale are the most playable with the most functionality, but button press combos. Penrose is exactly what you see, simple, but playable. The uScale has some issues that were supposedly going to be fixed a year or so ago, but never fixed and no response from them. I decided against it for that reason. I have the Penrose and like it. Another nice thing about the Penrose vs the uScale is the gate out for when the note changes. Not sure if the Flame has that.

Another one to potentially check out is WMDs Arpitecht, due out next month I believe. You don't get the playability with the note selection, but a knob and CV control over the scale choice, LEDs showing which notes are in that scale, and then another knob/CV control over notes in that scale that are "masked out" or removed from the output.

Thanks. I also have the Beastep Pro which has scales on it so wondering if a quantizer module would give me anything additional. I see I could quantize signals with it and would good be for generative patches like to send it an LFO, and good for tunning oscillators. How do you use it? It does look fun.
Old 30th March 2017
  #2543
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Man, not me. I used to work in security, and most of the folks in that industry are retired from other jobs. What I learned from talking to them is that full-on retirement kinda sucks. You think "oh, I'm going to have so much time to do such and such!" but in reality, that hobby you're so passionate about now needs to keep you occupied seven days a week. You get bored of it pretty quickly. Thought that was a load of crap until I started accumulating enough leave for two week vacations instead of my usual one week, and found myself bored out of my skull early into the second week. I was actually excited to go back to work! That's when I changed my plans: No retirement for me! I'm gonna work until I'm dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Wow! No offense guys, especially since I respect both of you and your posts normally, but, if you two are bored, then you are doing it wrong. I never understood anybody getting bored in life... there are just so many things to do in this world! Too many things really.

I've been out of work for over 5 years now*, but I had always been frustrated having to have a day job working for someone else because I had so many things to do in my own life (I guess it's my entrepreneurial spirit) and now that I seemingly have all the time in the world, it's not enough to actually do all the things I want to do; which is why I usually only get 2 hours of sleep each night. Also, being broke doesn't help; if I was rich, then I can really get down to doing all the things I want to do (creating think tanks, starting a foundation and research lab, saving the world, etc.)

But especially if you are a just a creative artist, how can anyone get bored with that!? especially you Derp, after seeing that studio of yours, it kind of pisses me off hearing you say that you are bored. Maybe you should just give me all of your gear and I'll show you how not to be bored with it!

Be less bored. Be more productive.

*since I'm such a multi-tasker, every day job I've ever had always took advantage of it; like when I worked at M-Audio, my official job title was "Senior Audio Editor" but I was also their Technical Writer, a Product Manager, their Icon Designer (since the 5 guys in their Graphics department didn't know how to do that) their fill-in Photographer, and various other duties that came up that no one else could do. Due to that, along with all of my previous experience, and running my own $100,000 per year business from 2008-2010, I am now apparently "over-qualified" to work a day job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
It's really this way with anything IMO. Ever been on a vacation in a tropical paradise for more than 2 weeks or so? I have, and regardless of how amazing it is eventually you start to crave your own weather (40's and rainy) and your accustomed headspace pretty quick. Even worse If you go on vacation without your kids it's only fun for about 4 days.

I have been unemployed since graduating college last Spring, and now it's this freakin Spring. I am bored to tears with ALL of my hobbies and leisure activities, including music. Productivity is out the window compared to this time last year when I was buried in heavy classwork for graduation I recorded about 30-40 different tracks that became 2 albums and more...The only thing that motivates me to make music at all now is collaboration and that comes slowly since it's mostly over the web these days. In my 20's and 30's I sold pot for a living and it was awesome because it allowed me all the time I needed to practice and tour, but it doesn't do much for the resume now. Pretirement is a bltch.


Combine vacation and work and go and live in a different country. I lived in Taiwan as an English teacher for 4 years and it was like being on holiday and working at the same time. It had its ups and downs but mostly I loved it. Great weather, living outside, great food and culture, nice people, cheap cost of living and easy to meet girls and then for some reason I decided to be sensible and come back to the UK and get a real job and career again. Bad move.

I feel for you all being unemployed. When I came back I was unemployed for a year and a half, did voluntary work and then went back to Uni to do a Masters. For 6 months after graduating I did an internship and working for nothing until I finally got a well paying job again. And this is where I've been for the last 6 years wondering where to go next or to just jack it all in and go travelling SE Asia again. I do like my job and what I do though which keeps me here despite the ****ty weather, high cost of living and little female opportunities.
Old 30th March 2017
  #2544
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Thanks. I also have the Beastep Pro which has scales on it so wondering if a quantizer module would give me anything additional. I see I could quantize signals with it and would good be for generative patches like to send it an LFO, and good for tunning oscillators. How do you use it?
I've got a BSP and I ashamedly don't use it nearly as much as I should. I tend to do much more with things in my rack. If you're used to using it to generate much of your melodic content, you can certainly use the scales in it, however if I remember correctly, you're limited to the scales as defined in the BSP - major, minor, harmonic minor, etc. The keyboard inputs on these quantizers will allow you to select whatever notes you want in the scale.

I use the Penrose, or other quantizers for anything that I may want to generate melodic content from un-quantized CV: Turing Machine outputs, (you could use any Random output into a quantizer though, likely after an offset) LFOs/Envelopes that I want to convert to quantized CV, etc. It's very good for generative patches - I believe you'd asked about the Krell patch a while back. This would ensure that the notes output, while random, would at least belong to a scale. Obviously as the patch is going on, you can change that "scale" up on the fly.

One of the advantages these quantizers with the keyboard have over something like the arpitecht is the ability to add/remove notes as you like without having to try to find the "desired mask" Say you want just a three note arp, but then you want to make the triad into a seventh chord, etc. Very easy to do and quick, or change the arp notes altogether.
Old 30th March 2017
  #2545
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I've got a BSP and I ashamedly don't use it nearly as much as I should. I tend to do much more with things in my rack. If you're used to using it to generate much of your melodic content, you can certainly use the scales in it, however if I remember correctly, you're limited to the scales as defined in the BSP - major, minor, harmonic minor, etc. The keyboard inputs on these quantizers will allow you to select whatever notes you want in the scale.

I use the Penrose, or other quantizers for anything that I may want to generate melodic content from un-quantized CV: Turing Machine outputs, (you could use any Random output into a quantizer though, likely after an offset) LFOs/Envelopes that I want to convert to quantized CV, etc. It's very good for generative patches - I believe you'd asked about the Krell patch a while back. This would ensure that the notes output, while random, would at least belong to a scale. Obviously as the patch is going on, you can change that "scale" up on the fly.

One of the advantages these quantizers with the keyboard have over something like the arpitecht is the ability to add/remove notes as you like without having to try to find the "desired mask" Say you want just a three note arp, but then you want to make the triad into a seventh chord, etc. Very easy to do and quick, or change the arp notes altogether.
Thanks. I haven't used one and I forget all this stuff.
Old 30th March 2017
  #2546
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I was reading the manual to my new long term synth purchase last night, and in just one good long sitting I think I understand it pretty well..
Old 30th March 2017
  #2547
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I was reading the manual to my new long term synth purchase last night, and in just one good long sitting I think I understand it pretty well..
Why so secretive bro?
1
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2548
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I was reading the manual to my new long term synth purchase last night, and in just one good long sitting I think I understand it pretty well..
What is it? Are you synth teasing
Old 30th March 2017
  #2549
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Genelec's arrived yesterday..





There are 3 settings you can have these on the back via a switch, normal, low, or very low ..silly me thought I'd leave them on normal, fired up itunes and playd a tune..FMD I thought the house exploded, talk about loud, I had to back off the volume to zero quickly...LOUD..you have no idea, I've now got them at very low and they are still pretty powerful, I must say they are very balanced across all ranges, I was expecting superior clarity compared to my JBL's but I got something very different, it's going to be interesting writing into them that's for sure..
3
Share
Old 30th March 2017
  #2550
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I've got a BSP and I ashamedly don't use it nearly as much as I should. I tend to do much more with things in my rack. If you're used to using it to generate much of your melodic content, you can certainly use the scales in it, however if I remember correctly, you're limited to the scales as defined in the BSP - major, minor, harmonic minor, etc. The keyboard inputs on these quantizers will allow you to select whatever notes you want in the scale.

I use the Penrose, or other quantizers for anything that I may want to generate melodic content from un-quantized CV: Turing Machine outputs, (you could use any Random output into a quantizer though, likely after an offset) LFOs/Envelopes that I want to convert to quantized CV, etc. It's very good for generative patches - I believe you'd asked about the Krell patch a while back. This would ensure that the notes output, while random, would at least belong to a scale. Obviously as the patch is going on, you can change that "scale" up on the fly.

One of the advantages these quantizers with the keyboard have over something like the arpitecht is the ability to add/remove notes as you like without having to try to find the "desired mask" Say you want just a three note arp, but then you want to make the triad into a seventh chord, etc. Very easy to do and quick, or change the arp notes altogether.
Thanks very much for your help making my mind about this - I just purchased a built Penrose
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump