The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
The first time I heard the 'freak' I wanted it.. very cool sound. I just wish it were a bit smaller (31hp!) and had more CV options.
It's the size of a module you'd expect to be a fullvoice, in fact he could add a vca and envelope LFO etc and still the module would be the same size and that extra room would be taken up. i know people like to use their own utilities and modulation but I love having them on board it's so immediate and fun.. play with an Atlantis or Tonestar and you'll see what i mean, you can always use the on board envelopes and vca to patch out externally too so you get extra bang for buck..
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
It's the size of a module you'd expect to be a fullvoice, in fact he could add a vca and envelope LFO etc and still the module would be the same size and that extra room would be taken up. i know people like to use their own utilities and modulation but I love having them on board it's so immediate and fun.. play with an Atlantis or Tonestar and you'll see what i mean, you can always use the on board envelopes and vca to patch out externally too so you get extra bang for buck..
I started with a Mother.. added a Lifeforms SV1 and Tonestar 2600.. so I'm with you!
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I started with a Mother.. added a Lifeforms SV1 and Tonestar 2600.. so I'm with you!
nice..!!! that's some serious firepower there, both of those other 2 the mother and Lifeforms I have gassed hard for but they are so damn expensive, the Lifeforms is $1300 here..
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Figured out how to get CV out of Reaktor via the Ultralite after I stopped being an idiot and thought it through. Man, that's cool, and it'll be a big help experimenting with concepts I'm shaky on or to add in functionality I might be missing. Now I just need to get better with using Reaktor.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
nice..!!! that's some serious firepower there, both of those other 2 the mother and Lifeforms I have gassed hard for but they are so damn expensive, the Lifeforms is $1300 here..
woah!! that's pricey!

I started with the Mother.. picked up the Tonestar and SV1 used, not too expensive - I think it was $900 for both. Threw them in a HEK and suddenly I was into euro.

I've since added a couple of the AIRA effects (very cool and underrated), a Z8000 sequencer, Ornament & Crime, Levit8, and a couple of little attenuators and mults... and a BSP.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Maniac
So I may have solved my lack of HP problem by creating a larger challenge... But we will see after playing with a full system 500 in 2 note full polyphonic mode for a while. I do need to move a unity mixer and a multi from the main system.

Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Man, after messing around a bit more with Reaktor and the modular, I just wish I'd done it sooner. Being able to dial up all sort of clocking/sequencing/modulation, and making nutty patches with wavetables and West Coast modules fed by a Benjolin-esque osc for FM, out to the Mother-32 and back into the computer to be processed in real time by some Eventide effects...I'm in heaven. It's like having a Disting to taste with the perfect screen.The computer is just one big powerful module in a greater scheme. I might need to rethink my modular plans at this point...already am tentatively thinking of a HEK with ES modules to act as a control hub from the computer and the Squarp Pyramid. It would take me a decade to approach some of the rigs you all have, but at least for my own needs I could potentially cut 12U down to 3U or so with some planning.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
woah!! that's pricey!

I started with the Mother.. picked up the Tonestar and SV1 used, not too expensive - I think it was $900 for both. Threw them in a HEK and suddenly I was into euro.

I've since added a couple of the AIRA effects (very cool and underrated), a Z8000 sequencer, Ornament & Crime, Levit8, and a couple of little attenuators and mults... and a BSP.
You're deffo on your way there, addicting isn't it...

it just sounds so good though doesn't it.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Guru

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah, might have to hit Flavio up for an early model of this..

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/blue-l...es-poly-phobos
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

I'm at work and the wife has text me that Ornament & crime & Benjolin panels have arrived, so I'll be hopefully building tonight.
I joined a group buy for 60 x tall trimmer pots the type used on clouds/rings etc for £20, I love a good deal
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I'm at work and the wife has text me that Ornament & crime & Benjolin panels have arrived, so I'll be hopefully building tonight.
I joined a group buy for 60 x tall trimmer pots the type used on clouds/rings etc for £20, I love a good deal
get back to work ya lazy good for nothin..'

Hows it feel to be back on the wheel..?
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
get back to work ya lazy good for nothin..'

Hows it feel to be back on the wheel..?
It's good to be working again as I was unemployed for 15 months, however there's not much time for music.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's good to be working again as I was unemployed for 15 months, however there's not much time for music.
prior to the job I have now I was unemployed for two years, the company I worked for went bankrupt and then I had surgery for cancer, so 2 years off and look after everything at home while the missus worked, we battled hard for money but i was happy as hell, grew my hair and dreads back down my back again and spent all day in my garden with my little daughter..

then one day the wife says to me i should think about going back to work, I said sure no probs, I had an idea where I could get a job and was back working within 2 weeks at the place I'm at now, thing is I still look after everything at home and work...lol I enjoy not struggling for money as much but i'd much prefer to not work tbh, I'm always much happier tinkering at home and making the absolute most of everything I have, I'm a frugal beast when not working but it gives you a massive appreciation for the things you do have, when I was unemployed the only gear I had was a behringer MIDI controller and imac with reason 4, but man I got the most out of it..
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Derp - which one is that?
Synthmaster. That is one badass softsynth right there. Full price, it's $99, but it's on sale constantly.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The first time I heard the 'freak' I wanted it.. very cool sound. I just wish it were a bit smaller (31hp!) and had more CV options.
It's worth the real estate and limited CV, though. This thing sounds even more awesome in person. Great module all around.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
AIRA effects (very cool and underrated)
Criminally underrated. Once you get past the default effects, they're good for so many things. Like a modular environment inside of the module to play around with.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'd much prefer to not work tbh
Man, not me. I used to work in security, and most of the folks in that industry are retired from other jobs. What I learned from talking to them is that full-on retirement kinda sucks. You think "oh, I'm going to have so much time to do such and such!" but in reality, that hobby you're so passionate about now needs to keep you occupied seven days a week. You get bored of it pretty quickly. Thought that was a load of crap until I started accumulating enough leave for two week vacations instead of my usual one week, and found myself bored out of my skull early into the second week. I was actually excited to go back to work! That's when I changed my plans: No retirement for me! I'm gonna work until I'm dead.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

This thing sounds fan freaking tastic!

I'm currently trying to breadboard and get a Synthacon filter going which should be _pseudo_ in the same ballpark as this.
Old 29th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Man, not me. I used to work in security, and most of the folks in that industry are retired from other jobs. What I learned from talking to them is that full-on retirement kinda sucks. You think "oh, I'm going to have so much time to do such and such!" but in reality, that hobby you're so passionate about now needs to keep you occupied seven days a week. You get bored of it pretty quickly. Thought that was a load of crap until I started accumulating enough leave for two week vacations instead of my usual one week, and found myself bored out of my skull early into the second week. I was actually excited to go back to work! That's when I changed my plans: No retirement for me! I'm gonna work until I'm dead.
It's really this way with anything IMO. Ever been on a vacation in a tropical paradise for more than 2 weeks or so? I have, and regardless of how amazing it is eventually you start to crave your own weather (40's and rainy) and your accustomed headspace pretty quick. Even worse If you go on vacation without your kids it's only fun for about 4 days.

I have been unemployed since graduating college last Spring, and now it's this freakin Spring. I am bored to tears with ALL of my hobbies and leisure activities, including music. Productivity is out the window compared to this time last year when I was buried in heavy classwork for graduation I recorded about 30-40 different tracks that became 2 albums and more...The only thing that motivates me to make music at all now is collaboration and that comes slowly since it's mostly over the web these days. In my 20's and 30's I sold pot for a living and it was awesome because it allowed me all the time I needed to practice and tour, but it doesn't do much for the resume now. Pretirement is a bltch.

And now the wife is talking about getting a new job. I wouldn't have to work at all if I didn't want to, and she's fine with it since I do a pretty good job taking care of the house, kid, and dogs. After a year of this I could apply for Journeyman in househusbandry I suppose and spend my life pursuing Artisan status...

I think this all adds up to the worst case of first-world-problems ever. I don't feel like playing with my 10k+ worth of music equipment because I don't have to get a job. All I need is for my purebred Great Dane to have a marijuana smoke allergy and that would put me over the top.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

I guess thats me soldering tonight

Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thought that was a load of crap until I started accumulating enough leave for two week vacations instead of my usual one week, and found myself bored out of my skull early into the second week. I was actually excited to go back to work! That's when I changed my plans: No retirement for me! I'm gonna work until I'm dead.
I'm polar opposite, i was out of work for 15 months and loved every minute of it but had to find work to keep a roof over my/our head.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
This thing sounds fan freaking tastic!

I'm currently trying to breadboard and get a Synthacon filter going which should be _pseudo_ in the same ballpark as this.
Yes it sounds amazing, but I hate you guys ... such enablers. I've got a daughter who wants to go to Stanford, so stop it dammit! Edit, listening more ... wow the crazy resonance on that thing. That's why I like the Wasp VCF so much and one of those sounds I'm looking for. My Aperture comes on Friday so I'll see how it compares. $249 for it means that it'll have to go in the backlog. First on the list is hoping to get an ER-301 with the next batch coming soon. Next are some of those EWM drum modules.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

I think I never posted this on GS, so hopefully it's ok that it's not the newest video.
It's a sound demo of my Theis Modular with the 'Soft Filter'.

Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Yes it sounds amazing, but I hate you guys ... such enablers. I've got a daughter who wants to go to Stanford, so stop it dammit! Edit, listening more ... wow the crazy resonance on that thing. That's why I like the Wasp VCF so much and one of those sounds I'm looking for. My Aperture comes on Friday so I'll see how it compares. $249 for it means that it'll have to go in the backlog. First on the list is hoping to get an ER-301 with the next batch coming soon. Next are some of those EWM drum modules.
Scholarships bro!
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

4ms resonator can be DIY'd?
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Yes it sounds amazing, but I hate you guys ... such enablers. I've got a daughter who wants to go to Stanford, so stop it dammit!
Just tell her she has to work her way through college. "It builds character" or some crap can be your excuse. That's what my parents did to me when they sold their house and moved to Vegas when I graduated! ...bastards. Well, it indirectly lead me to buying a modular after some years because I couldn't afford school anyway, so it worked out.

Quote:
Next are some of those EWM drum modules.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I got another T-Drum and DigiDrum not long after I got the first set. It's a really awesome set. Between those four, the EMW Analog Drum Synth, and the MFB drum modules, I'm really happy with my modular percussion setup.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Yep. That's how I got mine on the cheap; someone else built it.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm legit jealous. Your x0x-heart panel is so much more awesome than mine. When I bought mine on the crowd funding campaign, they stuck Grayscale panels on all of them.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
It's not a kit or anything - not sure if the guy selling PCBs still has any. And some parts can be really difficult to find.
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Addict

Since we're posting pics, thought y'all might like to see pics of my setup. The Ozzy lighter and Nauga are totemic, and hence intrinsic to process.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0266.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-img_0267.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-img_0268.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-img_0270.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-img_0272.jpg  

The Modular Thread 2017-img_0273.jpg  
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search