The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th March 2017
  #2461
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
back to work tomorrow so I just had to push out another track, 3 day weekend is all but over..

again this all modular except for a bit of TR8 and SH101...oh and I finally got to use the Verbos harmonic osc in a track, I was so determined to use it it's the repeating bassline you hear here all the way through..finally I might like this module.



Even though I'm back at work tomorrow, so looking forward to Thursday as I get my new monitors..
7
Share
Old 28th March 2017
  #2462
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
back to work tomorrow so I just had to push out another track, 3 day weekend is all but over..

again this all modular except for a bit of TR8 and SH101...oh and I finally got to use the Verbos harmonic osc in a track, I was so determined to use it it's the repeating bassline you hear here all the way through..finally I might like this module.



Even though I'm back at work tomorrow, so looking forward to Thursday as I get my new monitors..
Good tune man!

I know you've spoken about this before... But I've got a memory like a sieve.

How do to u compile the clips and images for your videos?
Old 28th March 2017
  #2463
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I just source them free on line it's all public domain stuff..copyright free.
Old 28th March 2017
  #2464




Where to buy (more retailers coming little by litte):
Where To Buy — Melu instruments
1
Share
Old 28th March 2017
  #2465
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Hey Clouds owners. Check this out --

Kammerl Beat-Repeat Effect
Ooh... That looks awesome. But I'm not sure on this one because... dude, Parasites is awesome. Oliverb is just glorious.
Old 28th March 2017
  #2466
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkindler View Post
You will be disappointed because I made a mistake and said U vs HP, but I was also lying to myself as it is really 4*105 HP or 416 HP.

Sorry about the bad camera phone but I just took this as I was pulling cables to start on a new patch and couldn't find the remote to turn up the lights.



I need another row at least as there is a random set of ~50HP of other modules that have to be swapped in and out depending on the patch I am working on at the time.
That's pretty. What case is that?
Old 28th March 2017
  #2467
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
Where to buy (more retailers coming little by litte):
Where To Buy — Melu instruments
The Tuesday Night Machines did much better demos than Perfect Circuit. I hope these help you. I want to see this little monster succeed!
Old 28th March 2017
  #2468
Lets hope for the best
1
Share
Old 28th March 2017
  #2469
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
back to work tomorrow so I just had to push out another track, 3 day weekend is all but over..

again this all modular except for a bit of TR8 and SH101...oh and I finally got to use the Verbos harmonic osc in a track, I was so determined to use it it's the repeating bassline you hear here all the way through..finally I might like this module.
That bassline sounds great, is that all from the Verbos?
Old 28th March 2017
  #2470
Gear Nut
 

So, got some new modules in the last few days, and just bit the bullet to order a new case.

The new modules: Got a Sputnik West Coast Random Source a few weeks ago used for a great price, and just today picked up a Synthesis Technology E330 oscillator and an Intellijel Triatt from Control Voltage. Really dig the Sputnik, it's kind of big, but it provides about 5 modules worth of random sources at once. The E330 and Triatt literally just landed on my doorstep, haven't had a chance to hook them up. The E330 is my consolation prize for (a) not being able to afford to support the Kickstarter for the E370, which looks utterly amazing, and (b) missing Paul Schrieber's workshop at Control Voltage on Saturday. I would probably never have entered into the modular world if it hadn't been for Paul's MOTM kits, so I feel I owe him a debt of gratitude (and my wife probably hates him). Have emailed and spoken with him on the phone over the years, but this would've been the first time meeting in person. Unfortunately, family commitments and exhaustion from a late-night gig on Friday got the better of me.

The case: I ordered a Pittsburgh Structure 208 from Sweetwater today (thank you 3 payment plan!) I've been waiting on getting a Mantis, but no one seems to have them in stock anywhere. My plan B was to build a case, but I have a gig using the modular in a few weeks, and felt if I was going to build something, it just wouldn't happen in time.

So here's my Euro setup as it stands now, or at least will in a few days:


The O-Coast will not be rack mounted, but I think I'll make a blank panel to hold it on the Structure, I like the way stuff looks to be lining up.
3
Share
Old 28th March 2017
  #2471
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Hi I wanted to check with you guys, I'm sure this is right but just to be sure. I just got a Analogue Solutions VCO sub arrived and wanted to ask about the 5v adapter. As I understand it, it connects to one of the double headers, I have a Uzeus, and the other header connects to the module. It means I lose one header just for the module but I guess I can connect the 3rd bus cable I have as an extension to one of the others.

I was a bit surprised when I saw it works like this and expected it would connect to the module itself. Oh well I suppose the 3 bus cables will all work still power wise and I won't lose anything.


https://www.modulargrid.net/e/analog...utions-vco-sub
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-5v-adapter.png  
Old 28th March 2017
  #2472
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Hi I wanted to check with you guys, I'm sure this is right but just to be sure. I just got a Analogue Solutions VCO sub arrived and wanted to ask about the 5v adapter. As I understand it, it connects to one of the double headers, I have a Uzeus, and the other header connects to the module. It means I lose one header just for the module but I guess I can connect the 3rd bus cable I have as an extension to one of the others.

I was a bit surprised when I saw it works like this and expected it would connect to the module itself. Oh well I suppose the 3 bus cables will all work still power wise and I won't lose anything.


https://www.modulargrid.net/e/analog...utions-vco-sub
uZeus already supplies +5v, so you don't need the adaptor. Enjoy the ASol! It's a fun one!
Old 28th March 2017
  #2473
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
uZeus already supplies +5v, so you don't need the adaptor. Enjoy the ASol! It's a fun one!
Yes, I just saw it supplies 5V as well as 12. Thanks for confirming


Just trying the Asol out and sounds nice through the JP8 filter. Some nice warbles n drone type sounds I think I might take the same philosophy as Sonic Youth buying up cheap japanese guitars for their unique character and buy whatever modular is cheap - which seems to be my emerging philosophy. I got this for a little over £50 and it sounds nice and I like the simplicity of it
1
Share
Old 28th March 2017
  #2474
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That's pretty. What case is that?
It is 3 Moog 104 HP cases with their three tier rack and the skiff is a 104 HP makenoise skiff.

The Moog parts are powered by a single Synthrotek Super Power Blue and their Noise Filtering Power Distribution Boards in series. I ordered the DIY versions of both and it was actually the most cost effective angled tier system I could find at that time. Note that 3 tiers is pushing it in series due to voltage drop but the power is clean and if you can solder they are very cheap.

I need to find out where mylarmelodies got his laser cut pattern from because having flat racks is not what I prefer and most commercial options only have one angled tier.

Edit: found this which I can modify Eurorack Lasercut Case 84HP 21U Studio Tower by nonlinearcircuits - Thingiverse

I think I had a link to a website that had them but I want to modify it to work within the space constraints of my studio. Plus I want to add on some of the 1U spaces front and back. and have a normalized patch bay for external connectivity and built in transformers to do better +4db balanced links.

I was working on a project that used the AD75019 for a 16x16 matrix switch but let the magic smoke out of my system by putting my powered amp output plugs too close to my audio plugs without protection. Well also hit the point where I need to pay a non-significant amount of money to upgrade software that will allow for larger PCBs.
1
Share
Old 28th March 2017
  #2475
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindMachine View Post
Derp - I see room for a filter!!

Love those black cases man.
You just had to call me out on a forum like this. I had pushed it out of my mind, but I kept thinking about this post and thinking "You know, I really could use a Roland-style filter!" You bastard.

Now...
Old 28th March 2017
  #2476
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkindler View Post
It is 3 Moog 104 HP cases with their three tier rack and the skiff is a 104 HP makenoise skiff.

The Moog parts are powered by a single Synthrotek Super Power Blue and their Noise Filtering Power Distribution Boards in series. I ordered the DIY versions of both and it was actually the most cost effective angled tier system I could find at that time. Note that 3 tiers is pushing it in series due to voltage drop but the power is clean and if you can solder they are very cheap.

I need to find out where mylarmelodies got his laser cut pattern from because having flat racks is not what I prefer and most commercial options only have one angled tier.

Edit: found this which I can modify Eurorack Lasercut Case 84HP 21U Studio Tower by nonlinearcircuits - Thingiverse

I think I had a link to a website that had them but I want to modify it to work within the space constraints of my studio. Plus I want to add on some of the 1U spaces front and back. and have a normalized patch bay for external connectivity and built in transformers to do better +4db balanced links.

I was working on a project that used the AD75019 for a 16x16 matrix switch but let the magic smoke out of my system by putting my powered amp output plugs too close to my audio plugs without protection. Well also hit the point where I need to pay a non-significant amount of money to upgrade software that will allow for larger PCBs.
Well I'm glad you're having better luck with the Super Power than I did. I thought that was going to be a perfect power solution, but I had to give up on it to go with uZeus's instead. But yeah, your layout there is gorgeous.
Old 28th March 2017
  #2477
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
What's got two thumbs and zero self-restraint?



This dude right here.
3
Share
Old 28th March 2017
  #2478
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAndImprov View Post
That bassline sounds great, is that all from the Verbos?
yep, it has a very pushy woody tone that always tries to dominate a mix, it's a powerful module and always wants to be loudest it seems, you really have to tweak it and back it off all the time, it's a very loud module..
Old 28th March 2017
  #2479
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
What's got two thumbs and zero self-restraint?



This dude right here.
Dude, if you're going to give in to lack of self-restraint, at least do so for something you actually _need_! Get that damn RCD, not another filter!
Old 29th March 2017
  #2480
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
You just had to call me out on a forum like this. I had pushed it out of my mind, but I kept thinking about this post and thinking "You know, I really could use a Roland-style filter!" You bastard.

Now...
The Omsonic is only $100.
Old 29th March 2017
  #2481
Lives for gear
 

I know it's software.. but this just came out a few days ago, and is damn cool (and free)

https://www.automatonism.com/
Old 29th March 2017
  #2482
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I know it's software.. but this just came out a few days ago, and is damn cool (and free)

https://www.automatonism.com/
had a listen and look see at the first tutorial video and right away I was impressed by the weight of the bass for software, it really has come alongside hardware now.. it will never be able to shirk off it's mouse and keyboard enigma that people despise though.

These software manufacturers really need to start building their own hardware controllers/shells to load their own plug outs into so they can breach that gap between soft and hard.. Roland opened the gate, when are others going to charge through it..?
Old 29th March 2017
  #2483
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
The Omsonic is only $100.
1
Share
Old 29th March 2017
  #2484
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Dude, if you're going to give in to lack of self-restraint, at least do so for something you actually _need_! Get that damn RCD, not another filter!
Don't worry, I'll get one eventually! Just these two were too cheap to pass up. Besides, if I'm getting stuff I need, right now at the top of the list is three more uZeus's and power for them, more rails, and either another LP1 or a Choices.
Old 29th March 2017
  #2485
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I know it's software.. but this just came out a few days ago, and is damn cool (and free)

https://www.automatonism.com/
I'll admit that his little Bandcamp album made with it is pretty good. https://automatonism.bandcamp.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
These software manufacturers really need to start building their own hardware controllers/shells to load their own plug outs into so they can breach that gap between soft and hard.. Roland opened the gate, when are others going to charge through it..?
I agree. I've been experimenting with software a lot more recently and I'm amazed at how far they have come sonically. Diva is nearly indistinguishable from a real analog synth. There is a $10 softsynth that destroys my old Virus TI in every single aspect. ...except in control. Editing softsynth patches is so insanely tedious. I don't mind a mouse as a replacement for menu diving for less commonly used parameters, and that's kind of where my Fantom G excels in its hybrid approach to patch editing. But some knobs for key controls is kind of important. I think Native Instruments is on the right path with Kontrol S, but if they could add like five or six more rows of knobs, that would be the bee's knees.
Old 29th March 2017
  #2486
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
again this all modular except for a bit of TR8 and SH101...oh and I finally got to use the Verbos harmonic osc in a track, I was so determined to use it it's the repeating bassline you hear here all the way through..finally I might like this module.
I've gotta say, this is my favorite thing you've done since "Ghosts of the Dockyard". Good stuff!
1
Share
Old 29th March 2017
  #2487
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'll admit that his little Bandcamp album made with it is pretty good. https://automatonism.bandcamp.com/



I agree. I've been experimenting with software a lot more recently and I'm amazed at how far they have come sonically. Diva is nearly indistinguishable from a real analog synth. There is a $10 softsynth that destroys my old Virus TI in every single aspect. ...except in control. Editing softsynth patches is so insanely tedious. I don't mind a mouse as a replacement for menu diving for less commonly used parameters, and that's kind of where my Fantom G excels in its hybrid approach to patch editing. But some knobs for key controls is kind of important. I think Native Instruments is on the right path with Kontrol S, but if they could add like five or six more rows of knobs, that would be the bee's knees.
Re-Pro1 is fantastic as well.

Softube's Modular, while clunky on the interface, sounds fantastic and properly captures the modular thing as well IMO.
Old 29th March 2017
  #2488
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post

Where to buy (more retailers coming little by litte):
Where To Buy — Melu instruments
I gotta say it's hard not to like this osc, I really really really wish you had of made it a complete synth voice with vca and envelope etc, I would already own if you did. I'm finding it hard to justify ever buying another osc but complete voices let me at em'..
Old 29th March 2017
  #2489
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
There is a $10 softsynth that destroys my old Virus TI
Derp - which one is that?
1
Share
Old 29th March 2017
  #2490
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I gotta say it's hard not to like this osc, I really really really wish you had of made it a complete synth voice with vca and envelope etc, I would already own if you did. I'm finding it hard to justify ever buying another osc but complete voices let me at em'..
The first time I heard the 'freak' I wanted it.. very cool sound. I just wish it were a bit smaller (31hp!) and had more CV options.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump