The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I was just looking at the Beast's manual. It's just an octave shift and not an adder in the sense of a Doepfer or Disting. The Trans Europa also doesn't seem to be an adder, it's more of a offset like the Beast but with greater precision. An adder take's two inputs and outputs the sum, or in the case of the Disting both the sum and difference of those inputs. Given the panel layout of the Trans Europa, it looks like it might work but they state "CV inputs are not 1V/oct", so no deal.
I guess in that respect I'm not sure why I would want a "true" Precision Adder: my use cases would be transposing by octaves and semitones. So in order to do that with a "real" PA I would have to also have a source of reference voltage (in volts and 1/12 volts I guess)? That doesn't seem more convenient. I must surely be misunderstanding the advantage of that design.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, that is bad.
I promise you guys that the Freak does not sound that bad in person. Kinda feel like someone should pull a Mesa and have them take it down and do a better one like when Mesa made Anderton's take down the bad review of the Cab Clone and had a Mesa rep walk them through how to use it properly.
Old 23rd March 2017
Quote:
I was just looking at the Beast's manual. It's just an octave shift and not an adder in the sense of a Doepfer or Disting. The Trans Europa also doesn't seem to be an adder, it's more of a offset like the Beast but with greater precision. An adder take's two inputs and outputs the sum, or in the case of the Disting both the sum and difference of those inputs. Given the panel layout of the Trans Europa, it looks like it might work but they state "CV inputs are not 1V/oct", so no deal.
So I want to make sure I have this correct before buying the Beast. I'd like to have something to use with my Mother-32 sequencer output to take it up from -5v/+5v to at least -3v/+7v (adding 2 octaves worth of voltage if I have this right) using the first stage of the Beast, then daisy chain the first stage to the second to add another 2v to make -1v/+9v. I don't know if it goes higher on the high end like that I just need the low end of the voltage to be -1v. If you are wondering why I want this it's because I want to use the Mother-32 sequencer to drive MI Rings which is -1v/+5v, and as it is you can only use the top few octaves of the Mother's osc which isn't terribly useful to my because I want to use them together for something specific. I've been using a Triatt for this purpose in the past but I find myself needing more Triatts all the time for other stuff and just want a dedicated module for this purpose. It would help with any of the oscillators I have really since none of them start accepting cv as low as -5v. So will the Beast work for me?
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So I want to make sure I have this correct before buying the Beast. I'd like to have something to use with my Mother-32 sequencer output to take it up from -5v/+5v to at least -3v/+7v (adding 2 octaves worth of voltage if I have this right) using the first stage of the Beast, then daisy chain the first stage to the second to add another 2v to make -1v/+9v. I don't know if it goes higher on the high end like that I just need the low end of the voltage to be -1v. If you are wondering why I want this it's because I want to use the Mother-32 sequencer to drive MI Rings which is -1v/+5v, and as it is you can only use the top few octaves of the Mother's osc which isn't terribly useful to my because I want to use them together for something specific. I've been using a Triatt for this purpose in the past but I find myself needing more Triatts all the time for other stuff and just want a dedicated module for this purpose. It would help with any of the oscillators I have really since none of them start accepting cv as low as -5v. So will the Beast work for me?
Wouldn't a little combo module that provides offset and attenuation do this just fine? Add 4v offset, then attenuate to get to -1/+5? In that case, you could get by with chs 2 and 3 of Maths or some other, likely far less expensive modules/options, or may actually have them in your rack.
Old 23rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Wouldn't a little combo module that provides offset and attenuation do this just fine? Add 4v offset, then attenuate to get to -1/+5? In that case, you could get by with chs 2 and 3 of Maths or some other, likely far less expensive modules/options, or may actually have them in your rack.
I've tried a million times like that and I can't get it to line up right consistently. For this particular issue, I would prefer a "set it and forget it" (the detented [is that a word?] knobs really appeal to me) solution whether it is the Beast or not. Price is not really a factor, I'm always willing to pay to get the exact thing I need/want if it is in fact the solution to my problem. Plus if I gave up my channels 2 and 3 on Maths I'd have a whole different set of issues...

Seems like this demonstrates it doing exactly what I need...
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

What I wanted (and my needs may be different than others) was true 1v/octave control over transposition. I have a sequence in C on input 1, then play a F on input 2 causing the output, the sequence to also transpose to F. A precision adder let's you do just that. At least with the Disting, there are no knobs to set, no tuning your Pressure Points or SQ-1 just right, you can just play it with a Keystep or BSP.

Add in an O_C to quantize things and now your transposition understands music theory. That sequence doesn't just have to be C, it could be in the chord of C which then transposes to the chord of Dmin or F, etc using an ionian scale (or whatever scale you set) based on root note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I want to use the Mother-32 sequencer to drive MI Rings which is -1v/+5v, and as it is you can only use the top few octaves of the Mother's osc which isn't terribly useful to my because I want to use them together for something specific.
I can confirm that the Disting will also do what slaughtrhaus wants. Beast should do it also based on the manual, but I've never used one. Getting very specific, you send your base signal into input X of the Disting. Using A as your output, the Z knob then controls octave shift. You also have CV control over the shift amount via input Z.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I wanted (and my needs may be different than others) was true 1v/octave control over transposition. I have a sequence in C on input 1, then play a F on input 2 causing the output, the sequence to also transpose to F. A precision adder let's you do just that. At least with the Disting, there are no knobs to set, no tuning your Pressure Points or SQ-1 just right, you can just play it with a Keystep or BSP.

Add in an O_C to quantize things and now your transposition understands music theory. That sequence doesn't just have to be C, it could be in the chord of C which then transposes to the chord of Dmin or F, etc using an ionian scale (or whatever scale you set) based on root note.

I can confirm that the Disting will also do what slaughtrhaus wants. Beast should do it also based on the manual, but I've never used one. Getting very specific, you send your base signal into input X of the Disting. Using A as your output, the Z knob then controls octave shift. You also have CV control over the shift amount via input Z.
Ah so what I was missing is that the Prec Adder takes input and turns that input into the transposition? While offsets you have to just manually dial in (or CV but not V/oct so you can't just plug in a keyboard and go)? Is that about right? Yeah I can see how that would be useful (though I think I still prefer the feature set of Trans Europa for my own needs).
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Ah so what I was missing is that the Prec Adder takes input and turns that input into the transposition? While offsets you have to just manually dial in (or CV but not V/oct so you can't just plug in a keyboard and go)? Is that about right? Yeah I can see how that would be useful (though I think I still prefer the feature set of Trans Europa for my own needs).
Exactly ...
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not a quantizer junkie like a lot of other modular fanatics; is O_C really that intelligent when it comes to quantization that it can play around with different scales, chords, and such on the fly? If so, I might have to commission one.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm not a quantizer junkie like a lot of other modular fanatics; is O_C really that intelligent when it comes to quantization that it can play around with different scales, chords, and such on the fly? If so, I might have to commission one.
I was referring to Quantermain in my example ... that's really just old fashioned music theory. The Harrington 1200 and Automatonnetz do that though; Automatonnetz especially. Automatonnetz is sort of like a Neo-Riemannian based Rene'.

Still trying to wrap my head around the more complex concepts since I was just a dumb percussionist who never really progressed in music theory. Luckily, my daughter is classically / conservatory trained, so I get her to try and translate for me from time to time, but even she loses me .
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
I was referring to Quantermain in my example ... that's really just old fashioned music theory. The Harrington 1200 and Automatonnetz do that though; Automatonnetz especially. Automatonnetz is sort of like a Neo-Riemannian based Rene'.

Still trying to wrap my head around the more complex concepts since I was just a dumb percussionist who never really progressed in music theory. Luckily, my daughter is classically / conservatory trained, so I get her to try and translate for me from time to time, but even she loses me .
The Automatannetz looks very cool to me, at least from a glance. I haven't dug into all the functionality offered by o_C yet. I know they're also planning on a chord mode that hopefully will be out soon. So, it's full of functionality. If I can break myself away from my breadboard, I'd probably have put mine together already...
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

if you're arping I-III-V through the quantizer set to a CMaj scale, if your starting on C, you get your Cmaj 'chord', but if you bump that up two semi tones, you'll fall on Dmin because that 3rd will now be quantized minor.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

I played with my o_C for several hours tonight. Yeah, it's all that and then some! And I never even left Quantermain. I'm definitely gonna want a second to use as a freaky modulator because this one is gonna be stuck in Quantermain forever.
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's just a matter of simply summing voltages. Precision adder does this.. gawd, more precise than simple mixer. Triatt, shades, doepfer whatever, they all do it.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
if you're arping I-III-V through the quantizer set to a CMaj scale, if your starting on C, you get your Cmaj 'chord', but if you bump that up two semi tones, you'll fall on Dmin because that 3rd will now be quantized minor.
What module/functionality are you talking about because it doesn't make sense to me.

If you have a quantizer set to C Maj and play the root, third and fifth, the third is two whole steps up from the root in any Major scale. Adding 2/12V which should be equivalent to upping your arp two semi tones, should still result in two whole steps up from D, which would be F#, which is DMaj.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

So mr UPS man brought a few more goodies, though mostly utility goodies.

A Beatstep Pro, because they seem to be handy for lots of things.
An Erogenous Tones Levit8 - super flexible 8ch gain/attenuation/fixed voltage/inversion/mixing
A 2hp attenuator
A bunch of cables.

This **** is becoming a problem.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What module/functionality are you talking about because it doesn't make sense to me.

If you have a quantizer set to C Maj and play the root, third and fifth, the third is two whole steps up from the root in any Major scale. Adding 2/12V which should be equivalent to upping your arp two semi tones, should still result in two whole steps up from D, which would be F#, which is DMaj.
Im talking about sending an unquantized arp into the O_c for quantizing (be it through an external CV sequencer, and using an adder to offset the root (before quantizing). by limiting the O_c to the Cmaj scale you'll never get that F# note.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Im talking about sending an unquantized arp into the O_c for quantizing (be it through an external CV sequencer, and using an adder to offset the root (before quantizing). by limiting the O_c to the Cmaj scale you'll never get that F# note.
Ah, OK. That makes sense now. Sorry for my confusion.
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Addict

These tuning conundrums you guys describe are the reason I got the Squarp, which I'm hoping will be a silver bullet for harmonic sequencing. Looks very good in 1.2, looks completely awesome in 1.5. (The smartpad chord mode becomes available as a mapping target for CV in 1.5.)
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Decided to trade my SSF/WMD Quad Attenuator for a WMD Invert/Offset with a dude on Facebook. I've been using cheap headphone splitters with volume controls as attenuators/mults more, and have found myself wishing I had some way to invert and offset CV lately, so hopefully that will help.

But, the Invert/Offset is 2 HP larger than my plans for this case, so I'm shifting some stuff around with my expansion plans for the future, and have 6 HP to fill. Debating about either the FM Aid or the Brain Seed (and a 2 HP buffered mult or something). Anyone experienced with either module that cares to weigh in? Or is there another killer 6 HP module you'd suggest?
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Intellijel triatt is 6hp that will do 3 channels of polarize (attenuate and inivert) and with the mixing option you can do offsets using two channels.

or grab the ssf SPO for two channels of polarize & offset in 4hp
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Decided to trade my SSF/WMD Quad Attenuator for a WMD Invert/Offset with a dude on Facebook. I've been using cheap headphone splitters with volume controls as attenuators/mults more, and have found myself wishing I had some way to invert and offset CV lately, so hopefully that will help.

But, the Invert/Offset is 2 HP larger than my plans for this case, so I'm shifting some stuff around with my expansion plans for the future, and have 6 HP to fill. Debating about either the FM Aid or the Brain Seed (and a 2 HP buffered mult or something). Anyone experienced with either module that cares to weigh in? Or is there another killer 6 HP module you'd suggest?
If you're looking at getting a BrainSeed, I've got one I've been thinking of parting with. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
I played with my o_C for several hours tonight. Yeah, it's all that and then some! And I never even left Quantermain. I'm definitely gonna want a second to use as a freaky modulator because this one is gonna be stuck in Quantermain forever.

Quote:
The Automatannetz looks very cool to me, at least from a glance. I haven't dug into all the functionality offered by o_C yet. I know they're also planning on a chord mode that hopefully will be out soon. So, it's full of functionality. If I can break myself away from my breadboard, I'd probably have put mine together already...
Ooh... this sounds rad. Just wishlisted it. @Septik sells them on MW for $250, so I'm gonna have to get on that one of these days.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're looking at getting a BrainSeed, I've got one I've been thinking of parting with. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Word. I'm still weighing out my choices, but I'll keep that in mind and will PM you after I do some more research on it.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

I didn't know if I should start an official thread because this is a modular specific question...but do any of you guys/gals connect your modular to piezo elements, specifically for drum trigger type applications? If so...how do you use it. Are you triggering oscillators, perc modules, or processing the signals? Tips?
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Been working on the studio rearrangement this week. The Synthrotek rails and brackets I was waiting on finally came in, so I'm doing a little rearranging in the modular and getting everything racked up. For anyone that's curious, not only can the Mother 32 be racked, but if you've got a rack with a hole for it and are concerned about power, the power supply is this tiny little PCB that's held in the case with two screws and the nut on the audio jack. The wires going into it are stiff enough that they're sitting suspended from the Mother 32 on their own, so you can just thread the wallwart up to it and not have to worry about it touching something it shouldn't.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I didn't know if I should start an official thread because this is a modular specific question...but do any of you guys/gals connect your modular to piezo elements, specifically for drum trigger type applications? If so...how do you use it. Are you triggering oscillators, perc modules, or processing the signals? Tips?
Done it!

I also have a Mikrophonie from Music Thing. You can usually buy them assembled for $40 and they're very handy. You can plug it directly into some effects and use the piezo part to play with, or it can pick up vibrations from slapping the case. It also acts as a preamp for your own mics, though I haven't tried it myself.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I've not done it yet, but I recently saw a youtube video that put it inside his case, then wiggled cables, tapped modules, etc. looks like he looped, and did some other stuff. Really cool way to use a piezo.

Got me thinking of ways to use a piezo.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Done it!

I also have a Mikrophonie from Music Thing. You can usually buy them assembled for $40 and they're very handy. You can plug it directly into some effects and use the piezo part to play with, or it can pick up vibrations from slapping the case. It also acts as a preamp for your own mics, though I haven't tried it myself.
Thanks for sharing this. I'll probably end up using some pro level piezos that I can directly and securely internally mount to the drums in question....it needs to stand up to serious touring with a rig that just comes off a semi trailer every night so the more permanent the better.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've not done it yet, but I recently saw a youtube video that put it inside his case, then wiggled cables, tapped modules, etc. looks like he looped, and did some other stuff. Really cool way to use a piezo.

Got me thinking of ways to use a piezo.
Thanks for this.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search