The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Thank you for pointing out that video, Magical
Yea, no problem. I've become a bit obsessed lately with these self-evolving patches or stuff like Krell or Dream Machine.
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've had Maths for about 4 months and still don't understand how to use it properly apart form just playing around with stuff randomly and I just discovered these helpful videos that clearly explained some things I'd wondered about - what are those inputs at the top and sides for really?

OK I am going to fail at trying to simplify this....but I will try

Colored circles relate to input, dc offset and output (ignoring the unity output for 1&4) for the 4 channels.

Red and green boxes relate to the controls that modulate the Red channel 1 and the Green channel 4.

The pink box outputs are normalized to the OR, SUM, and INV outputs and when you plug in a cable they are removed from the OR, SUM, and INV outputs.

On the side the Rise input modulates the offset from the rise knob, and the same for the fall. The "both" input modulates both offsets at the same time.

Channel 1 has an EOR or End of Rise trigger or the start of a wave form and Channel 4 has an EOC or End of Cycle that triggers at the end of a waveform.

The "Log" - "EXP" knobs on channel 1 and 4 modify the response curve of the voltage function for those channels and the little line is linear.

Does that make it clear as mud
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So I got the Zlob clock divider in the mail yesterday. Fed it a randomized rhythm from the Circadian Rhythms, fed the clock divider to a whole bunch of percussive modules, and threw it in the mixer with an Elements going through Clouds, both controlled by various LFO's, and the Braids bell oscillator being modulated by an LFO. This concoction made my first generative patch! Now that I'm seeing the possibilities, a Rotating Clock Divider just got pushed that much higher on my wishlist.

Now just use those clock dividers to start pinging fast/slow envelopes and resetting LFOs controling sound parameters and eachother thru VCAs!
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkindler View Post
OK I am going to fail at trying to simplify this....but I will try

Colored circles relate to input, dc offset and output (ignoring the unity output for 1&4) for the 4 channels.

Red and green boxes relate to the controls that modulate the Red channel 1 and the Green channel 4.

The pink box outputs are normalized to the OR, SUM, and INV outputs and when you plug in a cable they are removed from the OR, SUM, and INV outputs.

On the side the Rise input modulates the offset from the rise knob, and the same for the fall. The "both" input modulates both offsets at the same time.

Channel 1 has an EOR or End of Rise trigger or the start of a wave form and Channel 4 has an EOC or End of Cycle that triggers at the end of a waveform.

The "Log" - "EXP" knobs on channel 1 and 4 modify the response curve of the voltage function for those channels and the little line is linear.

Does that make it clear as mud
Ch1 and 4 also have an unity signal output of the input wave to the right of EOR and left of EOC. So, if you want the same gate you're slewing or whatever on channels 1 and 4, you get a buffered version of it through Maths.
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Wow, congrats on the free AS System! Quality stuff there. The good news is that the structure of that system isn't too far off from an MS-20. Just add more patch cables and you'll feel right at home.
Yeah!
I was already thinking of making progress with the AS simply by trying out some of my favourite MS-20 patches and seeing what happened when I applied those same routes to the modular.

Most excited by the Multimode filter, which promises to be quite a versatile beast.

Quote:
As far as integrating the two together, there is English Tear of course, but also keep in mind that modules like English Tear are mostly for tracking VCO pitch. You can still get some use out of the LFO's, filters, envelopes, and such from each system without needing the English Tear.
Oh I see!

Well, I've been a bit terrified of frying either the MS-20 Mini or the AS Modular.
So you seem to be saying that I've been a bit overly cautious and I can try some patches between the two?

Just want to be sure I've read that paragraph the right way!

Quote:
As far as the cheapest way in, the best I can think of is a TipTop Happy Ending Kit ($159 USD) which comes with a power supply and rails. Just get the English Tear, bolt it in, and plug it in. Power on things like the TipTop isn't quite as daunting because everything is keyed on the ribbon cable. It's really just a plug and play affair. On the module side of things, if it isn't keyed on the module, just make sure that where the module denotes -12v has the red stripe on the ribbon cable pointing that way.
Great!
Thanks!
Yeah I'll look into that right away.
If everything is keyed and I know what to look for then that's a big weight of my mind

Cheers!
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I know to some, I may sound like a complete newb, but here goes.

I've been lusting over the Metropolis since I got into euro. I've got an A4, but always didn't like how "static" it is when integrating with the modular; Nice CV out functionality but no feedback loop / input back into the A4. With bonus time coming up at work, I once again felt the symptoms of severe GAS and dug into the manual for the Metropolis. Unfortunately, like other Intellijel stuff (uScale II), the transpose isn't true V/OCT, which is a disappointment. I started digging / Googling about transposition tricks for the Metropolis came across possibly using a precision adder. That gave me an idea.

I came home from work tonight and spent some time to see how well a precision adder (Disting in my case) worked with the A4 CV outs ... Wow, exactly what I've been looking for since the beginning of my venture into euro! I can establish a root note and have a sequence transposed around it, fscking amazing! It's kind of silly that I've tried all sorts of other things like S/H, a BrainSeed, and the SSM to create that effect while I've had a precision adder in my rack since the beginning with the Disting. My bad in that I'd simply been using the precision adder as a simple octave shift prior, not delving into what it actually did. Throw in the O_C running Quantermain to further root everything to a musical mode and maybe play with switching the scale root via the Turing Machine, and it's total "Modular on the Roof" type ambient jams.

tl;dr version: If you're trying to get away from sequencing everything in the computer, you NEED a precision adder.
Wow!
Thanks for that message!

When I started looking around for "Well, I know there are lots of modules out there, but what do I actually want?" The Metropolis rose to the top of my list.

But a precision adder is something I would have never thought about in a million years.
So it's good to know!
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

o_C owners: here's the cheat sheet you've been waiting for. Probably worth subbing the thread at Muff's to stay updated as the firmware matures.

As far as the Maths inputs, some good and complete answers so far but just simply:
the inputs for 1 and 4 determine what the rise/fall/cycle/etc. of channels 1 and 4 will be acting upon. If you want, for example, triggered AD envelopes you would throw triggers at the TRIG input; if you want ASR envelopes you would throw gates at the arrow-marked inputs. If you want to slew a pitch CV you would pipe it through the arrow-marked input. Etc.

The inputs on channels 2 and 3 are just inputs to the attenuverters; there are no other manual or voltage controls to act on those signals other than turning them up normally and inverted; with channel 2 being the 'hot' (10V p-p) channel iirc.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
o_C owners: here's the cheat sheet you've been waiting for. Probably worth subbing the thread at Muff's to stay updated as the firmware matures.
Just what i needed - thx 4 sharing!
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

The Melu Freak arrived yesterday. This thing is SO awesome! The range of timbres it can generate is huge. Had a ton of fun just running it through an SY02 last night. My rack brackets should finally be arriving today, so it's gonna be nice to finally get all the toys installed in my system and use them all at once.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Now just use those clock dividers to start pinging fast/slow envelopes and resetting LFOs controling sound parameters and eachother thru VCAs!
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Well, I've been a bit terrified of frying either the MS-20 Mini or the AS Modular.
So you seem to be saying that I've been a bit overly cautious and I can try some patches between the two?

Just want to be sure I've read that paragraph the right way!
That's correct. You're not going to fry anything by just patching them directly to each other. You only have to worry about frying something when power is involved, and CV/Audio just doesn't carry that kind of current.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Wow!
Thanks for that message!

When I started looking around for "Well, I know there are lots of modules out there, but what do I actually want?" The Metropolis rose to the top of my list.

But a precision adder is something I would have never thought about in a million years.
So it's good to know!
And in those million years did you come across a "Beasts Chalkboard" ?
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I was just playing with Harrington also. Specifically, what's listed under the patch tip for that mode in the docs with the Turing feeding it a root note. I could listen to random melodic stuff like that all night.
Where is that? I just looked and i don't see the tip about how to use turing (unless you mean an external turing machine.. as opposed to one of the ones in O_c)
Old 22nd March 2017
Quote:
This one comes up every now and again, and I always forget in spite of how infinitely useful this module would be in my particular setup. I've added a rack to my Modulargrid account called "Must Buy" and put it in there with an A-151 mk2...I keep forgetting that one too.

I can't buy anything until I get a job or sell something anyway so my GAS is deflated to the point where I don't get excited about modules unless it's the absolute perfect fit like the Beast-the freedom to just buy anything was causing me to make bad decisions based on the wrong factors. The big holes in my case used to annoy me a little but I am glad the brakes were applied somehow, it gives me a chance to plan things better than I was.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

The Doepfer and the ALM Precision Adders seem to be pretty popular but the one that interests me (and has never left my master planning list since I started this nonsense) is the FCUK Trans Europa. In addition to easy access (manual and CV control) to octaves you also get the same for semitones. And a built in glide function as the cherry on top. DIY'able to boot. Not the slimmest (in hps) precision adder on the market but well featured.

If...actually when I make room for a precision adder I definitely want semitone transposition too.
Old 22nd March 2017
Heading to Modular Square ( Shop in Paris ) right now to buy This ALM Beasts Chalkboard … Planned from a long time ; and time as come

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Where is that? I just looked and i don't see the tip about how to use turing (unless you mean an external turing machine.. as opposed to one of the ones in O_c)
I have an real Turing in my rack also.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
The Doepfer and the ALM Precision Adders seem to be pretty popular but the one that interests me (and has never left my master planning list since I started this nonsense) is the FCUK Trans Europa. In addition to easy access (manual and CV control) to octaves you also get the same for semitones. And a built in glide function as the cherry on top. DIY'able to boot. Not the slimmest (in hps) precision adder on the market but well featured.

If...actually when I make room for a precision adder I definitely want semitone transposition too.
With my patch last night, I was using the O_C (Quantermain) to do the transposition. The O_C seems to give you a bit of an advantage over something like the Trans Europa is that you can force the transposed notes to a common musical mode or scale and root note.

The moral of that whole post is that I've discovered that I have perfectly viable sequencers to do what I want to do with what I have (A4, BSP). Additionally, it's a reminder to learn what your gear can actually do before going off to buy that shiny new module.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/...gital-vco.html

Just spotted this if anyone's interested. $159 for a really rad digital wavetable VCO. The sub outputs are wicked cool, too.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Double post
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about picking up a cheap regular 1/4" patchbay to route CV out of the MOTU interface and audio back into it, for ergonomics/convenience. There should be no problem with doing this with the patchbay fully normalled, right? The CV out connection would be broken and wouldn't affect the audio coming back in, if I'm grokking it right. I use a couple patchbays already, but not sure if there are any gotchas when dealing with CV.

Also, would it be better to pick up an unbalanced patchbay for something like this, or does it really matter as long as I'm using floating ring cables (ie MOTU>patchbay>modular via FR cables)?

Sorry, more of a patchbay question I guess, but people look at you funny if you start talking about CV outside of this thread.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a cheap regular 1/4" patchbay to route CV out of the MOTU interface and audio back into it, for ergonomics/convenience. There should be no problem with doing this with the patchbay fully normalled, right? The CV out connection would be broken and wouldn't affect the audio coming back in, if I'm grokking it right. I use a couple patchbays already, but not sure if there are any gotchas when dealing with CV.

Also, would it be better to pick up an unbalanced patchbay for something like this, or does it really matter as long as I'm using floating ring cables (ie MOTU>patchbay>modular via FR cables)?

Sorry, more of a patchbay question I guess, but people look at you funny if you start talking about CV outside of this thread.
Never tried it myself, but in theory it should be fine. Half-normalled, there'd probably be a drop in voltage, but fully normalled, I don't see how that would interfere with the signal.

Good idea, though. Might have to steal this one myself.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Can someone recommend an crossfade module that doesn't have a volume dip at the midpoint? (logarithmic, equal power)
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never tried it myself, but in theory it should be fine. Half-normalled, there'd probably be a drop in voltage, but fully normalled, I don't see how that would interfere with the signal.

Good idea, though. Might have to steal this one myself.
The more I think about it, fully normalled should work fine. I've read posts about doing this on Muffs so I'm not the first, but I don't think I've seen anything about proper normalling in such a situation so I was a little uneasy.

I've got a balanced patchbay I could spare if I recable to my other bay just to try this out, but if there's a reason to get an unbalanced patchbay for this purpose I'd be interested in knowing. I've got a retail rack made of plywood that I use to get more vertical space (and which fits the MS-20 Mini perfectly, so I'm actually patching it with my modular more now) that I think I should be able to attach some 2U rails to, hopefully solid enough to hold a 1U patchbay anyway. I've already sort of dedicated some external effects to the modular side of the room, so it would be really convenient to patch them in at will.

Really excited to get this Ultralite Mk4 into the mix. I've been working towards having a fully integrated setup for years now, and I think it's going to be one of the final pieces in the puzzle. Just being able to send 8 CV outs from the computer to the modular will be huge for me because of getting to experiment with a lot of modular concepts I otherwise probably would be hazy on until I bought a module, but I can experiment freely thanks to the Reaktor User Library. After reading through the manual tonight, I'm fairly confident I can route specific audio out from the mains, so I might be able to quell some of my desire for a Eurorack sampler...and if I decide it's something I want to use more seriously, I can expand with other Expert Sleepers modules for much less cash in the end, offloading a lot of tasks to the computer.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
The more I think about it, fully normalled should work fine. I've read posts about doing this on Muffs so I'm not the first, but I don't think I've seen anything about proper normalling in such a situation so I was a little uneasy.

I've got a balanced patchbay I could spare if I recable to my other bay just to try this out, but if there's a reason to get an unbalanced patchbay for this purpose I'd be interested in knowing...
It's too expensive for a patch bay but I was enticed by this. 1/4" to 1/8" and stereo to mono connections would be really useful in my set up. It's hard to justify the price though with so many modules out there. SO I just have a lot of spaghetti and 1/4 to 1/8 cables.

ADDAC911 | ADDAC System
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
It's too expensive for a patch bay but I was enticed by this. 1/4" to 1/8" and stereo to mono connections would be really useful in my set up. It's hard to justify the price though with so many modules out there. SO I just have a lot of spaghetti and 1/4 to 1/8 cables.

ADDAC911 | ADDAC System
That thing looks awesome but yeah, that is insanely expensive for what it is. It wouldn't be hard to just DIY something like this for yourself, I think. Just a rackmount box with a bunch of jacks soldered together.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

@kraku: I'm sorry that Perfect Circuit's demo of the Freak is so terrible that it's already driving off folks in the comments section of the video because they don't know that it actually can sound good.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That thing looks awesome but yeah, that is insanely expensive for what it is. It wouldn't be hard to just DIY something like this for yourself, I think. Just a rackmount box with a bunch of jacks soldered together.
The 1/4" to 1/8" should be as you said. Stereo/mono is another story and hence where the cost comes in, I would think.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just looking at the Beast's manual. It's just an octave shift and not an adder in the sense of a Doepfer or Disting. The Trans Europa also doesn't seem to be an adder, it's more of a offset like the Beast but with greater precision. An adder take's two inputs and outputs the sum, or in the case of the Disting both the sum and difference of those inputs. Given the panel layout of the Trans Europa, it looks like it might work but they state "CV inputs are not 1V/oct", so no deal.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
@kraku: I'm sorry that Perfect Circuit's demo of the Freak is so terrible that it's already driving off folks in the comments section of the video because they don't know that it actually can sound good.
Wow, that is bad.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search