The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st March 2017
  #2311
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
The VCL videos on O_c are what sold me on it.. they have a LOT of good info/explanation. I'm still scratching the surface. Tried out the chords mode for a few mins tonight - very cool possibilities.
I was just playing with Harrington also. Specifically, what's listed under the patch tip for that mode in the docs with the Turing feeding it a root note. I could listen to random melodic stuff like that all night.
2
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2312
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
And keep in mind that I believe all of the Serge stuff from R*S is licensed by Serge himself.
As is the Elby stuff.
Old 21st March 2017
  #2313
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
this is the final plan for this case..



It might be quite a while until that Behringer Model D becomes more than just a mock up. I know you said it'll be a while until you're buying modules again, but even then I wouldn't expect it to come to market any time soon.

I'm wary of getting the Expert Sleepers modules for fear of not using them myself. Integrating software sounds like it could be fun and would save me a lot on modules thanks to Reaktor, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually utilize them in my regular patching. I'll probably suck it up and buy a MOTU interface this week and see if I get on with it or not.
Old 21st March 2017
  #2314
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
It might be quite a while until that Behringer Model D becomes more than just a mock up. I know you said it'll be a while until you're buying modules again, but even then I wouldn't expect it to come to market any time soon
I thought the same especially when he's also talking 2600's, OBX's, Oscars etc

Although I do hope they all do get remade.
1
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2315
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I'm in no rush, got some cash in from the sale of the 2 expert sleepers modules I had and a couple of other things and that has gone straight down on a pair of these beauties..
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-unnamed.jpg  
1
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2316
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I'm upgrading my signal and monitoring chain, first stop get rid of the JBL's and install the Genelec's, then rip out the MOTU 8 pre and install a MOTU 828 MK3



wire it up with some nice quality cabling and then get back to finishing the modular..
1
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2317
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

I'm dreading buying new sound card as current Mac OS don't support Apogee Duet FireWire, I do have Genelec 8030's and love them.
Old 21st March 2017
  #2318
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I'm dreading buying new sound card as current Mac OS don't support Apogee Duet FireWire, I do have Genelec 8030's and love them.
Spoke to a guy today who is selling a pair of 8030's and I made him an offer that was close but not what he was asking, in the end we both decided it's prolly best not to as they'd have to be posted interstate and I'm really not that comfortable receiving expensive monitors in the post...they are seriously nice monitors though, I've used them many times before at SAE, the M030's get good reviews and I like the eco friendly nature of the cabinet.
Old 21st March 2017
  #2319
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

8030 ain't got a lot of bottom end, but for the box room I bought them for at the time they were perfect.
Old 21st March 2017
  #2320
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
8030 ain't got a lot of bottom end, but for the box room I bought them for at the time they were perfect.
So much of today's music is listened to on crappy systems or ear buds that cannot even reproduce a bottom end, you nearly can get away with using a pair of Avantone mix cubes.. and writing directly into them for those listeners..
2
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2321
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Those of us backing the Motomouth: it reached its funding goal last night. We made it!! Come July (let's be real...maybe by August) we should be seeing some funky filters flying through the post.
2
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2322
Gear Nut
Hello Everyone, this is my first post, so hope it's in the right thread

I'm really in over my head at the moment.

For years I just stumbled around budget equipment -- picking up a bargain basement Korg whenever I could.

Korg offers interesting and fun things at a budget that doesn't make big dents for me financially.

Then for me the game changers happened right on top of each other

1) I found a bargain on a Korg MS-20 Mini and instantly fell madly in love with it.

And much more amazingly

2) Someone just flat out gave me a full fledged AS modular set up

What they gave me was

RS-20 1 x Ring modulator and multiple
RS-40 1 x Noise, sample-and-hold and clock
RS-60 1 x VCASDR
RS-70 1 x Inverter and pre-amp
RS-80 1 x VCLFO
RS-95 2 x VCO
RS-110 Multimode filter
RS-160 Mixer (linear)
RS-170 Multiple
RS-180 2 x VCA
RS-190 Meter and inverter
RS-310 Reverb and chorus

Demon keyboard with RS-330 Keyboard controller and RS-220 Joystick.


So for me, that is a lot to be going on with!

But I can't help thinking it would be pretty amazing stuff if I could get the Korg MS-20 Mini and this AS modular on speaking terms.


Now I know there is a module called The English Tear which will do this.

BUT I'm really like a Day One newbie here.

Someone just handed me this battleship of a Modular
And I just was getting my head around the semi-modular Korg.

So....

I gather what I will need to do is --

Get some sort of case

Get some sort of PSU

Buy the English Tear

And, umm, figure out how to plug in the English Tear and how to mount it in the case.


How can I buy a case, and a power supply, and the English Tear without bankrupting myself?

It seems that you can only buy cases and power supplies for 8 modules at a time?
Is that right?


The idea of actually having to purchase and assemble all this is so terrifying part of me is thinking "Oh, umm, just get a Moog Mother-32. And let's not worry about the MS-20 Mini working with the AS."

Now, on top of all this I've just gotten another bargain on a Microbrute!
Just picked it up just now.

So I'm very excited at the idea of taking this Microbrute for a spin and getting that to work with the AS and see what that is like.

It was a pretty cheap and easy way to get a new Envelope Generator and LFO for my modular at any rate.


So the competing ideas here

1) How to get the MS-20 Mini working with the AS, and is that actually worth it?
What will it actually practically allow me to do.

or

2) Run screaming from the cost and complexity, and buy the Moog Mother-32 and enjoy having access to the Moog Stepladder Filters, which has been a dream of mine for ages as well


Just don't know.

How do I take best advantage of the equipment I have

AND

Can I do this a bit more cheaply -- like is there a place I could buy a case with the PSU already there and everything ready to go -- and how much will that all cost?


Cheers!
1
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2323
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
As is the Elby stuff.
Indeed, and a pretty undervalued manufacturer IMO. The one Elby DIY kit I did had a very high quality PCB and functionality/sound was/is on point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm upgrading my signal and monitoring chain, first stop get rid of the JBL's and install the Genelec's
Hell of an upgrade!
Old 21st March 2017
  #2324
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
A whole lot of rock and roll.
Wow, congrats on the free AS System! Quality stuff there. The good news is that the structure of that system isn't too far off from an MS-20. Just add more patch cables and you'll feel right at home.

As far as integrating the two together, there is English Tear of course, but also keep in mind that modules like English Tear are mostly for tracking VCO pitch. You can still get some use out of the LFO's, filters, envelopes, and such from each system without needing the English Tear.

As far as the cheapest way in, the best I can think of is a TipTop Happy Ending Kit ($159 USD) which comes with a power supply and rails. Just get the English Tear, bolt it in, and plug it in. Power on things like the TipTop isn't quite as daunting because everything is keyed on the ribbon cable. It's really just a plug and play affair. On the module side of things, if it isn't keyed on the module, just make sure that where the module denotes -12v has the red stripe on the ribbon cable pointing that way.
1
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2325
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
So I got the Zlob clock divider in the mail yesterday. Fed it a randomized rhythm from the Circadian Rhythms, fed the clock divider to a whole bunch of percussive modules, and threw it in the mixer with an Elements going through Clouds, both controlled by various LFO's, and the Braids bell oscillator being modulated by an LFO. This concoction made my first generative patch! Now that I'm seeing the possibilities, a Rotating Clock Divider just got pushed that much higher on my wishlist.
2
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2326
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

@Tobias Vaughn those RS-95 VCO's are not very good, you should give them to me
4
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2327
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Going to be a while before I can carry on updating my modular, I have to change my monitoring ( JBL to Genelec ) and upgrade audio interface before I can carry on. Yesterday I offloaded a bunch of modules ( expert sleepers stuff ).. I wasn't using, and used that $ to get this module.. which I will most certainly be using straight away, it goes right next to my quadra as partner..
[URL=http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/carbonbasedlifeformv1/media/IMG_6348_zpsvmt7va7g.jpg.html]
You really need to look into getting the expander for that Quadra.
Old 21st March 2017
  #2328
Lives for gear
 

If you are a gigging musician, a good 5" monitor should have enough bass that you need. Too much bass colors your perception of tonality, and you actually hear pitch different; makes songwriting hard when you can't hear what you are doing. Also anything above 5" and you should have a load of bass traps, figured out any trouble points from 20hz-200hz and EQed your monitors to tune the room, and figured ideal placement. Too much sub and its a nightmare.

If you play at home for fun, then sub it up
Old 21st March 2017
  #2329
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I'm wary of getting the Expert Sleepers modules for fear of not using them myself. Integrating software sounds like it could be fun and would save me a lot on modules thanks to Reaktor, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually utilize them in my regular patching. I'll probably suck it up and buy a MOTU interface this week and see if I get on with it or not.
The only expert sleepers modules that caught my eye are their MIDI interface (FH1) and disting.

With the FH1, you can apply smoothing filters to CC messages so if you send a MIDI LFO it won't have stepped artifacts. Disting just seems like a handy multitool for when you want to dial in a patch.
1
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2330
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Yea, I've got some Random Source stuff on my wishlist as well. Part of my burning desire for Serge is this video. The top panel being an original RS Edelweiss. I love how much effort he's put into modernizing Serge.
Thank you for pointing out that video, Magical
Old 21st March 2017
  #2331
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
The only expert sleepers modules that caught my eye are their MIDI interface (FH1) and disting.

With the FH1, you can apply smoothing filters to CC messages so if you send a MIDI LFO it won't have stepped artifacts. Disting just seems like a handy multitool for when you want to dial in a patch.
I should have clarified that I was referring to their audio interface modules like the ES-3 and ES-8 (which is what @fiddlestickz had IIRC). I'm quite happy with my Disting Mk3 (wish it had the screen of the Mk4, but it's not that bad once you start messing with it), and I'm really glad that I impulse bought a USAMO a few months ago because it has helped to get the timing in my studio rock solid. I just can't help but feel that I might like the idea of integrating the computer with the modular more than the actual practice of it. But I did just buy a MOTU Ultralite to test it out for myself, so if I do dig it than there's probably an ES-3 and some expanders in my future.

The FH-1 is on my list tho, since I can use it with the Squarp Pyramid.
Old 21st March 2017
  #2332
Lives for gear
 

It seems like any sort of 'breakout box' for the Pyramid couldn't ever compete with a FH-1. Now I just need to figure out how to use that custom hex editor
Old 21st March 2017
  #2333
Lives for gear
 

Yeah...I know the Squarp guys were planning on a BOB for the Pyramid, but I don't know that it's necessary with the FH-1 out there. I know they and Os from ES just swapped hardware to work out the kinks between their gears, which will be reflected in the new Pyramid OS once it is released. I'll be interested in seeing how people get on with the combo once that comes out.
Old 22nd March 2017
  #2334
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Looking at the A-156 and browsing chord modules I found the flame. The functionality looks really good and nice size. Anyone have one and how does the Qubit Chord compare?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/flame-chord-machine

I realise I need to explore Braids features more after finding this:

https://www.voltagecontrollab.com/20...chords-braids/
Old 22nd March 2017
  #2335
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Looking at the A-156 and browsing chord modules I found the flame. The functionality looks really good and nice size. Anyone have one and how does the Qubit Chord compare?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/flame-chord-machine

I realise I need to explore Braids features more after finding this:

https://www.voltagecontrollab.com/20...chords-braids/
You might also want to check out the Music Thing Modular chord organ. It's not got V/Oct in an updated firmware. Does similar things at very small HP.
Old 22nd March 2017
  #2336
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
I've had Maths for about 4 months and still don't understand how to use it properly apart form just playing around with stuff randomly and I just discovered these helpful videos that clearly explained some things I'd wondered about - what are those inputs at the top and sides for really?



The site censors letters 'S-J-W' for some reason so unable to embed URL:
Complex Eurorack Sequences With Maths
Old 22nd March 2017
  #2337
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Vaughn View Post
Hello Everyone, this is my first post, so hope it's in the right thread

I'm really in over my head at the moment.

For years I just stumbled around budget equipment -- picking up a bargain basement Korg whenever I could.

Korg offers interesting and fun things at a budget that doesn't make big dents for me financially.

Then for me the game changers happened right on top of each other

1) I found a bargain on a Korg MS-20 Mini and instantly fell madly in love with it.

And much more amazingly

2) Someone just flat out gave me a full fledged AS modular set up

What they gave me was

RS-20 1 x Ring modulator and multiple
RS-40 1 x Noise, sample-and-hold and clock
RS-60 1 x VCASDR
RS-70 1 x Inverter and pre-amp
RS-80 1 x VCLFO
RS-95 2 x VCO
RS-110 Multimode filter
RS-160 Mixer (linear)
RS-170 Multiple
RS-180 2 x VCA
RS-190 Meter and inverter
RS-310 Reverb and chorus

Demon keyboard with RS-330 Keyboard controller and RS-220 Joystick.


So for me, that is a lot to be going on with!

But I can't help thinking it would be pretty amazing stuff if I could get the Korg MS-20 Mini and this AS modular on speaking terms.


Now I know there is a module called The English Tear which will do this.

BUT I'm really like a Day One newbie here.

Someone just handed me this battleship of a Modular
And I just was getting my head around the semi-modular Korg.

So....

I gather what I will need to do is --

Get some sort of case

Get some sort of PSU

Buy the English Tear

And, umm, figure out how to plug in the English Tear and how to mount it in the case.


How can I buy a case, and a power supply, and the English Tear without bankrupting myself?

It seems that you can only buy cases and power supplies for 8 modules at a time?
Is that right?


The idea of actually having to purchase and assemble all this is so terrifying part of me is thinking "Oh, umm, just get a Moog Mother-32. And let's not worry about the MS-20 Mini working with the AS."

Now, on top of all this I've just gotten another bargain on a Microbrute!
Just picked it up just now.

So I'm very excited at the idea of taking this Microbrute for a spin and getting that to work with the AS and see what that is like.

It was a pretty cheap and easy way to get a new Envelope Generator and LFO for my modular at any rate.


So the competing ideas here

1) How to get the MS-20 Mini working with the AS, and is that actually worth it?
What will it actually practically allow me to do.

or

2) Run screaming from the cost and complexity, and buy the Moog Mother-32 and enjoy having access to the Moog Stepladder Filters, which has been a dream of mine for ages as well


Just don't know.

How do I take best advantage of the equipment I have

AND

Can I do this a bit more cheaply -- like is there a place I could buy a case with the PSU already there and everything ready to go -- and how much will that all cost?


Cheers!
hey mate if you ever want to sell of that AS gear give me a message, I'm going to build a 6U case of just AS this year and would be keen to grab some of yours if you decide to sell any..

cheers
1
Share
Old 22nd March 2017
  #2338
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've had Maths for about 4 months and still don't understand how to use it properly apart form just playing around with stuff randomly and I just discovered these helpful videos that clearly explained some things I'd wondered about - what are those inputs at the top and sides for really?



The site censors letters 'S-J-W' for some reason so unable to embed URL:
Complex Eurorack Sequences With Maths
Have you seen this?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63068
1
Share
Old 22nd March 2017
  #2339
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Precision Adders ...

I know to some, I may sound like a complete newb, but here goes.

I've been lusting over the Metropolis since I got into euro. I've got an A4, but always didn't like how "static" it is when integrating with the modular; Nice CV out functionality but no feedback loop / input back into the A4. With bonus time coming up at work, I once again felt the symptoms of severe GAS and dug into the manual for the Metropolis. Unfortunately, like other Intellijel stuff (uScale II), the transpose isn't true V/OCT, which is a disappointment. I started digging / Googling about transposition tricks for the Metropolis came across possibly using a precision adder. That gave me an idea.

I came home from work tonight and spent some time to see how well a precision adder (Disting in my case) worked with the A4 CV outs ... Wow, exactly what I've been looking for since the beginning of my venture into euro! I can establish a root note and have a sequence transposed around it, fscking amazing! It's kind of silly that I've tried all sorts of other things like S/H, a BrainSeed, and the SSM to create that effect while I've had a precision adder in my rack since the beginning with the Disting. My bad in that I'd simply been using the precision adder as a simple octave shift prior, not delving into what it actually did. Throw in the O_C running Quantermain to further root everything to a musical mode and maybe play with switching the scale root via the Turing Machine, and it's total "Modular on the Roof" type ambient jams.

tl;dr version: If you're trying to get away from sequencing everything in the computer, you NEED a precision adder.
3
Share
Old 22nd March 2017
  #2340
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've had Maths for about 4 months and still don't understand how to use it properly apart form just playing around with stuff randomly and I just discovered these helpful videos that clearly explained some things I'd wondered about - what are those inputs at the top and sides for really?



The site censors letters 'S-J-W' for some reason so unable to embed URL:
Complex Eurorack Sequences With Maths
This video is better, but it can do so much it is hard to wrap your head around first.




Basically the four at the top that aren't marked "trigger" are inputs to the four vertical attenuverters.

The rise and fall plugs modulate the rise and fall time of the cycle on channel 1 and channel 4.

The easiest way I found to start wrapping my head around it was to just plug it in with one cable like in the video I linked to above.

I think it is my favorite module ever....but I can't describe how to use it without resorting to an unreadable wall of text.
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump