The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th March 2017
  #2281
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
I just got myself a Pamela's based on you guys recommendation and thought I'd try a grids too. My rack is not so much based on thoughtful purchasing but rather picking up things based on popularity or recommendation or that turn up cheap on eBay and I got these for 2/3 the retail price. About 1/2 I thought about and the rest are tryouts. I was playing with my recent buy BSP this evening and was surprised how much easier it makes jamming, although I'm used to playing things into Ableton I found jamming so much easier. I was enjoying triggering Nord drum from BSP too and amazed how good it sounds after neglecting for so long. I'm hoping this will be more productive too but thinking recording and mixing I'll probably want to dump everything back to midi or I might just record straight to audio - see how BSP to Ableton works out. I'm also finding I mostly just use the first row of modules I bought more than anything else but maybe that'll change as I explore more. And I was just thinking how much cleaner triggering drum machines by CV is than midi and I can trigger 2 or 3 drum machines like this.

I've decided I need to move this year and get a proper studio space.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_354272.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-image.jpg  
4
Share
Old 19th March 2017
  #2282
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
I've been thinking for a while about a move to 4U, there are certain Serge and Buchla things I'd like to do. The problem is I kinda want aspects of both systems and I'd like them to be seamless together. That keeps taking me back to euro with the somewhat recent availability of Buchla "clones" and authorized Serge. I realize it's a bit of a trade-off with the form factor/interface of the full size. I guess it comes down to what I find most important.

Anyway, my first (DIY) Serge in euro (Elby) came Friday and I knocked it out in no time at all. Kind of excited about a new panel that will be mostly DIY.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170318_035831302_ios-copy.jpg  
1
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2283
Lives for gear
Anybody else think the modules are getting a little too pricey now? I have noticed significant price jumps in the last 6 weeks or so. I am learning to say no!
Old 20th March 2017
  #2284
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
Anybody else think the modules are getting a little too pricey now? I have noticed significant price jumps in the last 6 weeks or so. I am learning to say no!
This all depends where you are from but here in the UK I've noticed this over the last 3 months. The effect of Brexit and the falling pound I guess or companies feel they need to charge more. The Moog Mother is a case in point which has gone up about £100 since last year. I was always make sure I get used deals where I can.
Old 20th March 2017
  #2285
it's going to be a long while from the sucessful end of the crowdfund campaign today to November shipping&delivery, but i couldn't resist posting it here as i backed it up almost at the last moment.

it was a dream module for me, ever since Paul posted videos of first proto 4 yrs ago. and now its got way better specs than ever imagined back then: full linear fm, phase modulation, four levels of glitch mode, cloud mode per osc, user loadable wavetables and computer editor, and last but not least: thru zero fm. all this at improved resolution compared to his best selling E350.





not sure yet if i should sell the E350s as i love em so much, and history has shown me that the new versions of everything while bringing a lot to the table, always change the sound too, and depending how connected you are with the original, something may be lost.

370 does seem much brighter, 350 seems dash warmer. but i could obviously be totally wrong not having both in my hands to compare.

maybe i sell one of the pair,,,, your thoughts?
2
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2286
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
it's going to be a long while from the sucessful end of the crowdfund campaign today to November shipping&delivery, but i couldn't resist posting it here as i backed it up almost at the last moment.

it was a dream module for me, ever since Paul posted videos of first proto 4 yrs ago. and now its got way better specs than ever imagined back then: full linear fm, phase modulation, four levels of glitch mode, cloud mode per osc, user loadable wavetables and computer editor, and last but not least: thru zero fm. all this at improved resolution compared to his best selling E350.





not sure yet if i should sell the E350s as i love em so much, and history has shown me that the new versions of everything while bringing a lot to the table, always change the sound too, and depending how connected you are with the original, something may be lost.

370 does seem much brighter, 350 seems dash warmer. but i could obviously be totally wrong not having both in my hands to compare.

maybe i sell one of the pair,,,, your thoughts?
congrats! I'm sure you'll be enjoying it come november.
the e350 wavetables are a lower resolution (8bit) than what the e370 will be (16bit). That's part of the reason the e350 will be updated very soon as well (to 16bit) e350 mk2.

I really wanted this module but couldn't justify it. I've got 3 wavetable oscillators already, and I prefer having 3 different ones than 4 of the same. I'm sure I'm gonna regret not going in on this.
Old 20th March 2017
  #2287
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I just got myself a Pamela's based on you guys recommendation and thought I'd try a grids too. My rack is not so much based on thoughtful purchasing but rather picking up things based on popularity or recommendation or that turn up cheap on eBay and I got these for 2/3 the retail price. About 1/2 I thought about and the rest are tryouts. I was playing with my recent buy BSP this evening and was surprised how much easier it makes jamming, although I'm used to playing things into Ableton I found jamming so much easier. I was enjoying triggering Nord drum from BSP too and amazed how good it sounds after neglecting for so long. I'm hoping this will be more productive too but thinking recording and mixing I'll probably want to dump everything back to midi or I might just record straight to audio - see how BSP to Ableton works out. I'm also finding I mostly just use the first row of modules I bought more than anything else but maybe that'll change as I explore more. And I was just thinking how much cleaner triggering drum machines by CV is than midi and I can trigger 2 or 3 drum machines like this.
Why not just save the BSP patterns rather than record them to MIDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I've been thinking for a while about a move to 4U, there are certain Serge and Buchla things I'd like to do. The problem is I kinda want aspects of both systems and I'd like them to be seamless together. That keeps taking me back to euro with the somewhat recent availability of Buchla "clones" and authorized Serge. I realize it's a bit of a trade-off with the form factor/interface of the full size. I guess it comes down to what I find most important.

Anyway, my first (DIY) Serge in euro (Elby) came Friday and I knocked it out in no time at all. Kind of excited about a new panel that will be mostly DIY.
There's some really nice Serge stuff in Euro. Buchla's coming around, in smaller cases. Congrats on the build though. Make sure to check out Random*Source as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
it's going to be a long while from the sucessful end of the crowdfund campaign today to November shipping&delivery, but i couldn't resist posting it here as i backed it up almost at the last moment.

it was a dream module for me, ever since Paul posted videos of first proto 4 yrs ago. and now its got way better specs than ever imagined back then: full linear fm, phase modulation, four levels of glitch mode, cloud mode per osc, user loadable wavetables and computer editor, and last but not least: thru zero fm. all this at improved resolution compared to his best selling E350.





not sure yet if i should sell the E350s as i love em so much, and history has shown me that the new versions of everything while bringing a lot to the table, always change the sound too, and depending how connected you are with the original, something may be lost.

370 does seem much brighter, 350 seems dash warmer. but i could obviously be totally wrong not having both in my hands to compare.

maybe i sell one of the pair,,,, your thoughts?
Good for you man! I seriously considered it myself, but in the end passed. I'm quite happy where I'm at currently, with some modules I have yet to build.

I'd hold off on selling the E350's at this point unless you were going to sell them to fund the E370. You never know. Once you can compare them, then you may find you like the E350's and want to keep them around. At this point, I'm not really sure the value is going to be much less at that point. Everyone knows the E350 mkII is coming as well as the E370.
Old 20th March 2017
  #2288
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Since pledging the Motomouth they've gone from like $5500 to over $8800 in a few days. Looks promising, they need less than $1000 to hit the goal. I've gotten more excited about this filter as it has gone from "That's enough time to possibly make it" to "Wow they might make it this week".

And my o_C should be shipping today. I wish there was a video (or even a series of videos considering the length) of all the different modes and just the basics of what they do. I've read through the Firmware guide and it's quite detailed but there are a few things that I'm not totally clear on (like some of the internal CV creation modes in Quantermain, for example). Anyway...good times. It looks like in Quantermain mode, where this first unit will likely spend most of its time, I have access to Turing machines, straight S&H, well featured pitch quantizers...this is the definitive Eurorack quantizer as far as I can tell.
1
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2289
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Since pledging the Motomouth they've gone from like $5500 to over $8800 in a few days. Looks promising, they need less than $1000 to hit the goal. I've gotten more excited about this filter as it has gone from "That's enough time to possibly make it" to "Wow they might make it this week".

And my o_C should be shipping today. I wish there was a video (or even a series of videos considering the length) of all the different modes and just the basics of what they do. I've read through the Firmware guide and it's quite detailed but there are a few things that I'm not totally clear on (like some of the internal CV creation modes in Quantermain, for example). Anyway...good times. It looks like in Quantermain mode, where this first unit will likely spend most of its time, I have access to Turing machines, straight S&H, well featured pitch quantizers...this is the definitive Eurorack quantizer as far as I can tell.
Voltage Control Lab's channel on youtube has a number of videos of o_c in various modes. I don't think they offer explanations in these videos, though. I can't remember.
1
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2290
Gear Addict
 
zobbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Since pledging the Motomouth they've gone from like $5500 to over $8800 in a few days. Looks promising, they need less than $1000 to hit the goal. I've gotten more excited about this filter as it has gone from "That's enough time to possibly make it" to "Wow they might make it this week".

And my o_C should be shipping today. I wish there was a video (or even a series of videos considering the length) of all the different modes and just the basics of what they do. I've read through the Firmware guide and it's quite detailed but there are a few things that I'm not totally clear on (like some of the internal CV creation modes in Quantermain, for example). Anyway...good times. It looks like in Quantermain mode, where this first unit will likely spend most of its time, I have access to Turing machines, straight S&H, well featured pitch quantizers...this is the definitive Eurorack quantizer as far as I can tell.
I've had my o_C for a week now and apart from adding it to my case and confirming it works - I've done nothing with it yet
Old 20th March 2017
  #2291
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
Anybody else think the modules are getting a little too pricey now? I have noticed significant price jumps in the last 6 weeks or so. I am learning to say no!
Yes Modules and DIY are getting far too expensive, my RS Serge NTO purchase was a one off I'm really cooling off the buying and enjoying what I have.

Now a lot of company's have switched to SMT Modules etc should be getting cheaper, but their not.
Old 20th March 2017
  #2292
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Voltage Control Lab's channel on youtube has a number of videos of o_c in various modes. I don't think they offer explanations in these videos, though. I can't remember.
They do actually explain in that series and those have been the only videos I've really found that demonstrate the module in action. Actually there was one other dude who demo'd the sequencer app as well, nice detailed walk through of that mode.

Not a super big deal, I'll have it soon enough to experiment with. I normally treat my in-transit-GAS with copious quantities of manual reading and video watching trying to develop ideas about how I'm going to use stuff when it shows up. The firmware manual is pretty good, it basically has all the details. That should keep me busy for a few days.
1
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2293
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Since pledging the Motomouth they've gone from like $5500 to over $8800 in a few days. Looks promising, they need less than $1000 to hit the goal. I've gotten more excited about this filter as it has gone from "That's enough time to possibly make it" to "Wow they might make it this week".
I think that DivKid video helped to advertise its existence. I'm glad they're going to make it now. It was iffy for a while there. Looks like they only need to promise out a few more to meet the goal.
1
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2294
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
So got another horror story in progress from Perfect Circuit. Received a package from them on Friday that did not contain what it was supposed to. No response to them via email yet. The Freak is supposed to arrive tomorrow, this is making me afraid it might be missing contents, too.
Old 20th March 2017
  #2295
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
They do actually explain in that series and those have been the only videos I've really found that demonstrate the module in action. Actually there was one other dude who demo'd the sequencer app as well, nice detailed walk through of that mode.

Not a super big deal, I'll have it soon enough to experiment with. I normally treat my in-transit-GAS with copious quantities of manual reading and video watching trying to develop ideas about how I'm going to use stuff when it shows up. The firmware manual is pretty good, it basically has all the details. That should keep me busy for a few days.
Ah yes. I recall trying to get a better feel on its functionality and finding the same - a lack of actual walkthroughs/tutorials on the functionality. Finally, I bit the bullet to build one, but still waiting on the screen.

I do the same though - read up and watch videos while in-transit. Unfortunately, some of the modules are so complex that there's really no knowing what you're getting yourself into until you get the module in your hands.
Old 20th March 2017
  #2296
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar


I've had a first-gen Shelves for a while, but figured I didn't need the expander because it's just an EQ and all, right? Never actually looked at the expander until I saw it for $40 just now. Didn't realize it turns it into a pair of multiband filters, so this should be interesting.
1
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2297
Feel free to delete this comment if inapropriate. Just thought I'd share an EP/LP I'm releasing today. It's made 100% with my eurorack modular system. It's naive electronica stuff. Not groundbreaking, cutting edge or original in any way, but it is what it is.

Can be downloaded for free here;
MMx111 Lysaker Zoo - 247 - MarsMelons

Or streamed from Spotify or Soundcloud.
http://soundcloud.com/user-292410369...ysaker-zoo-247

Would be happy to provide patch notes or other technical details if anyone would happen to be interested (fat chance!). :D
2
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2298
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Would be happy to provide patch notes or other technical details if anyone would happen to be interested (fat chance!). :D
Share all of the things!
1
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2299
Lives for gear
 

Star chart for documenting the time when each song was written, precise geographic coordinates of each module in the rack, chemical make-up of the housing materials (and its effects on acoustic properties and your mixing precision), and then an oil pastel interpretation of your inner emotions when hearing this record.

ONLY THEN can we determine whether this record holds merit
7
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2300
Lives for gear
 

Got a sneak peak at a module to hopefully debut at SuperBooth, it is going to be great
Old 20th March 2017
  #2301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Share all of the things!
Don't have anything written down at the moment, but if someone is, by any chance, thinking of any sound or track or whatever in particular, I could write something up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
Star chart for documenting the time when each song was written, precise geographic coordinates of each module in the rack, chemical make-up of the housing materials (and its effects on acoustic properties and your mixing precision), and then an oil pastel interpretation of your inner emotions when hearing this record.

ONLY THEN can we determine whether this record holds merit
Been working on it since last Wednesday!
Old 20th March 2017
  #2302
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Feel free to delete this comment if inapropriate. Just thought I'd share an EP/LP I'm releasing today. It's made 100% with my eurorack modular system. It's naive electronica stuff. Not groundbreaking, cutting edge or original in any way, but it is what it is.

Can be downloaded for free here;
MMx111 Lysaker Zoo - 247 - MarsMelons

Or streamed from Spotify or Soundcloud.
http://soundcloud.com/user-292410369...ysaker-zoo-247

Would be happy to provide patch notes or other technical details if anyone would happen to be interested (fat chance!). :D
Very nice job!

I particularly loved the third tune!
1
Share
Old 20th March 2017
  #2303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Very nice job!

I particularly loved the third tune!
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate that. Sampled my 1 year old son successfully petting the cat for the first time in that one!
2
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2304
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Why not just save the BSP patterns rather than record them to MIDI?
Yes I have been saving the patterns but at some point I'm thinking I'd want it in Ableton for mastering or at least to play around and add more variation. But I think this feature isn't available? It seems you can't play BSP and then record the midi or export it to Ableton mmm...

Post about it here
Can BSP import / export Satandard MIDI Files?
Old 21st March 2017
  #2305
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Yes I have been saving the patterns but at some point I'm thinking I'd want it in Ableton for mastering or at least to play around and add more variation. But I think this feature isn't available? It seems you can't play BSP and then record the midi or export it to Ableton mmm...

Post about it here
Can BSP import / export Satandard MIDI Files?
Sure you can record the BSP in Ableton. It's just a MIDI device.
1
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2306
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Going to be a while before I can carry on updating my modular, I have to change my monitoring ( JBL to Genelec ) and upgrade audio interface before I can carry on. Yesterday I offloaded a bunch of modules ( expert sleepers stuff ).. I wasn't using, and used that $ to get this module.. which I will most certainly be using straight away, it goes right next to my quadra as partner..





this is the final plan for this case..



3
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2307
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
There's some really nice Serge stuff in Euro. Buchla's coming around, in smaller cases. Congrats on the build, though. Make sure to check out Random*Source as well.
Yea, I've got some Random Source stuff on my wishlist as well. Part of my burning desire for Serge is this video. The top panel being an original RS Edelweiss. I love how much effort he's put into modernizing Serge.
1
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2308
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Yea, I've got some Random Source stuff on my wishlist as well. Part of my burning desire for Serge is this video. The top panel being an original RS Edelweiss. I love how much effort he's put into modernizing Serge.
beautiful tune, I was sitting there listening and thinking wow, man can make a machine sing in such a beautiful way, why can't we solve the worlds problems..?
2
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2309
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Yes I have been saving the patterns but at some point I'm thinking I'd want it in Ableton for mastering or at least to play around and add more variation. But I think this feature isn't available? It seems you can't play BSP and then record the midi or export it to Ableton mmm...

Post about it here
Can BSP import / export Satandard MIDI Files?
Ensure your BSP is listed as a MIDI input device in Live.

Take a MIDI track in live and select its Midi input to come from the BSP.

Arm track and go at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Yea, I've got some Random Source stuff on my wishlist as well. Part of my burning desire for Serge is this video. The top panel being an original RS Edelweiss. I love how much effort he's put into modernizing Serge.
And keep in mind that I believe all of the Serge stuff from R*S is licensed by Serge himself.
3
Share
Old 21st March 2017
  #2310
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Ah yes. I recall trying to get a better feel on its functionality and finding the same - a lack of actual walkthroughs/tutorials on the functionality. Finally, I bit the bullet to build one, but still waiting on the screen.

I do the same though - read up and watch videos while in-transit. Unfortunately, some of the modules are so complex that there's really no knowing what you're getting yourself into until you get the module in your hands.
The VCL videos on O_c are what sold me on it.. they have a LOT of good info/explanation. I'm still scratching the surface. Tried out the chords mode for a few mins tonight - very cool possibilities.
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump