The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Has anyone explored the Ginko Synthese Grains. Looks like a simple kit if I ever wanted to brave it. The extra code functions you can load sound interesting.

Grains (DIY kit) | Ginko Synthese
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The MMF can act as a LPG and Streams can be two LPGs, but I rarely use them that way. I've never been a fan of the sound of the usual suspects when it comes to LPGs, meaning the Make Noise stuff. They always sound to ringy or bongo-ish for my tastes in the demos I've heard.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I usually just simulate LPGs with envelope modulation with what I have, especially the Wasp (I love that thing). As for wanting a filter, most of my filters are really geared towards low pass save the Morpheus. That's why either Three Sister or Aperture seem interesting ... They seem to be to be super band-pass filters and I'd like to have another filter on top of the Morpheus to "animate" the tonal range of a sound. Plus, they both seem like they'd make a good end of chain filter if I wanted that effect.

Finally on VCO's, I spent the evening listening to AFG demos since the AFG2 just came out, talk about animated sounds. Now it's DPO or AFG. I just need something to break out of the tonal palette I currently have.
Gotcha. In that case 3 Sisters is an awesome filter. It's "different" in its BP or HP as compared to those filters that have dedicated BP or HP outs. You essentially have a moving HP and multiple moving BPs, based on the span control. Having said that, I love the filter, it's pretty different than much of what's out there. The multiple versions of Twin Peaks filters are somewhat similar and sound fantastic. Xaoc's Belgrad might be something else you would find interesting. It sounds flippin fantastic.

The new AFGs that have been released have some very shoddy soldering of resistors onto SMD pads. Apparently the resistors stick out pretty good and multiple people have had theirs fall off over on muffs. Having said that, it sounds damn good and has some great functionality. It was high on my list until I really discovered what I could do with the Air input on my Mangrove. I've found I can get similar functionality by passing in complex waves into the Air on Mangrove, so that would be another potential option.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Has anyone explored the Ginko Synthese Grains. Looks like a simple kit if I ever wanted to brave it. The extra code functions you can load sound interesting.

Don't know the sound it produces, but looking at the BOM, it looks like a pretty simple first build.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have one, but I haven't been bothered with swapping codes on it yet. The default OS is pretty good.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

For anyone into the weird stuff, ERD just announced 40 more ERD/SIR's up for sale in limited edition white and with a new Turing Machine code included as well. I'll admit that I put myself in the hole and impulse-bought it because I thought it was the ERD/ERD, but the ERD/SIR is pretty cool, too.

https://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

And here's what I was hoping for before I'd already purchased:
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thought you might be interested in this. Atlantis as used on Factory Floor's album. Does sound Roland SH-101 but modern as well as you say. I like the sound of it.

The music gear that made Factory Floor's album '25 25' | Dummy Mag

I've seen Factory Floor on multiple occasions when the first album came out, they ALWAYS brought out a modded SH-101. The synth player in Factory Floor quit, and they had to buy more gear to replace him - so the Atlantis isn't on the youtube links you posted but all over the second album tracks like this:

Huge dilemma, especially for someone like fiddlestickz to answer - do I sell my Boomstar 3003 to get a head start on finances for my modular build? I have another big creative project that is diverting some of my funds, so I can't really dive headfirst for like half a year or so. I love the sound of the Boomstar 3003 but every time I look at it I keep wishing it had patch points

Good news is that after my creative project ends, I'll get a few grand in my pocket (its an artist grant that only pays you half of the grant up front, so you have to pay out of pocket to receive the second half.) so I can always splurge then
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
Huge dilemma, especially for someone like fiddlestickz to answer - do I sell my Boomstar 3003 to get a head start on finances for my modular build? I have another big creative project that is diverting some of my funds, so I can't really dive headfirst for like half a year or so. I love the sound of the Boomstar 3003 but every time I look at it I keep wishing it had patch points
I did just that. Had a Boomstar 4075 and sold it to buy more modular. No regrets here. I did miss the filter, but the good news is that the Boomstar filters are available in Euro, so I just bought the 4075 filter.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I did just that. Had a Boomstar 4075 and sold it to buy more modular. No regrets here. I did miss the filter, but the good news is that the Boomstar filters are available in Euro, so I just bought the 4075 filter.
I bought the boomstar as a coping mechanism to not get into modular

"It will sound great! It has so many options! I couldn't possibly want more than this."

*two months of youtube k-hole later*

"... eurorack though ... "
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Addict

Squarp Pyramid ordered. Hopefully I like it as much as I think I will. Seems great for tying MIDI and modular gear.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Squarp Pyramid ordered. Hopefully I like it as much as I think I will. Seems great for tying MIDI and modular gear.
It's a brilliant sequencer. Probably the most important piece of gear in my studio now.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Got a few minutes to play with the Doepfer A-160-5 which arrived yesterday. It's a one trick pony for me right now, but wow, is it fun. First, it can act as a bit of a flip flop; feed it a sample and hold and it shuts off when voltage goes below below 0v.

For that ratcheting drum sound, I found it best to feed it's clock into a clockable delay which in my case, is the Disting. It's a bit elaborate, but I have a logic gate (Doepfer A-150) tied to the Grids accent out with Grids sending gates instead of triggers. When low or no accent on Grids, I route my percussion sound dry, when high, the tone goes through the Disting delay clocked at 3x to main clock. It creates an amazing roll and flam effect. If you use Braids as the sound source using the Meta mode glitch drum trick, it's total glitch percussion nirvana.

I know my last posts have been about what my next "sexy" module is, but I glad I've invested in a bunch of boring stuff like mults, gates, logic, attenuators, and offsets to be able to pull off stuff like this.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
If you write a custom script for Expert Sleepers FH-1 you can use the Pyramid however you want, plus it powers the Pyramid directly (so no extra cables or DIN MIDI -> USB issues.)

The Pyramid is absolutely fantastic, just not the type of sequencer I like. There is a lot about it that I wish was in the Octatrack (like MIDI fx)
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

10% off everything using PATTYSDAY10

$30 off the Bastl Bitranger using RANGER30

15% off Xaoc Kamieniec Phase Shifter using XAOC15
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

A little demo of what I was talking about with the A-160-5.

Main percussion sounds are Peaks and Braids in "glitch" mode with Wogglebug doing the "hats" sound. Melodic stuff is just a simple Turing Machine pattern feeding the Omikron going through a Wasp. Forgot, the percussion is all driven by Grids.
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
For anyone into the weird stuff, ERD just announced 40

And here's what I was hoping for before I'd already purchased:
I would totally go into hock for the coffin module.
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Think we need to get this back on the front page...

Here's a little ditty using the new Voltage Block and DLD as well as the R*S Dual Wasp, Basimilus Iteritas Alter and Delptronics LDB-2e. I'll probably add some Rhodes improv stuff to it and create a "proper tune"

Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

just ordered a Random Source Serge NTO, bit expensive (£254) but I've been wanting one for sometime.

Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

A few little pics....
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170312_174711.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-20170309_222103.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-20170312_175052.jpg  
Old 19th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Any of you using a MOTU interface to integrate the computer with your modular? The Alesis interface I had laying around doesn't track well, so I'm not sure if it's really DC coupled...and since I have the cables now, I've been looking at other options. I was looking at picking up a cheap 828 MkII, but it sounds like there is a decent chance of failure with them. Consequently, I'm debating about upping the budget for an Ultralite Mk4.

I'm going to have to set this up as an aggregate device since I still need my other interface for the rest of my gear, but I'm about to rearrange my entire studio this week (currently boxing everything up...no fun), and want to set up the modular on the other side of the room, so having a more local interface option that could also allow me to integrate Reaktor would be dope.

I've set up the Alesis as an aggregate with my current setup so I'm sure that won't be an issue. What I'm wondering about are the "Main" outputs I see on a lot of MOTU units, in addition to the 8 individual outputs. Can you use the Mains for audio out to your monitors, while using the other 8 outputs for CV? That would be incredibly convenient if so.
Decent chance of failure with an 828MKII?? My first one (bought literally they first day Sam Ash got them in stock) was 12 years old when it finally went out on me back in 2015. That thing was in use daily since the day I got it. I was too lazy to open it up and troubleshoot so i just ended up buying another one off Ebay for like $200 and as old as it is, its working as it should. The only thing to worry about with them is if you do run into hardware problems, MOTU cant do anything because of proprietary parts they no longer have, which is why they wont service them anymore. Software wise, they still support it along with the original 828. I use mine with Expert Sleepers Silent Way plugin, to send CV to my modular, clock to my SQ-1, all sorts of things. Same with Reaktor 6. It all works great.

If the Alesis isnt tracking well something is going wrong elsewhere. If its sending CV out period, that means its definitely DC coupled.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
I've seen Factory Floor on multiple occasions when the first album came out, they ALWAYS brought out a modded SH-101. The synth player in Factory Floor quit, and they had to buy more gear to replace him - so the Atlantis isn't on the youtube links you posted but all over the second album tracks like this:

Good news is that after my creative project ends, I'll get a few grand in my pocket (its an artist grant that only pays you half of the grant up front, so you have to pay out of pocket to receive the second half.) so I can always splurge then
do it, once you get started on the trip that is modular you'll forget all about the Boomstar, you can rebuild one in modular anyways..
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Decent chance of failure with an 828MKII?? My first one (bought literally they first day Sam Ash got them in stock) was 12 years old when it finally went out on me back in 2015. That thing was in use daily since the day I got it. I was too lazy to open it up and troubleshoot so i just ended up buying another one off Ebay for like $200 and as old as it is, its working as it should. The only thing to worry about with them is if you do run into hardware problems, MOTU cant do anything because of proprietary parts they no longer have, which is why they wont service them anymore. Software wise, they still support it along with the original 828. I use mine with Expert Sleepers Silent Way plugin, to send CV to my modular, clock to my SQ-1, all sorts of things. Same with Reaktor 6. It all works great.

If the Alesis isnt tracking well something is going wrong elsewhere. If its sending CV out period, that means its definitely DC coupled.
In looking through posts on Muffs about it, it seemed like a good number of people reported issues in using the 828MKII, so I'm a little wary of it, since if it does go belly up I'm back to looking for another DC coupled interface. Still, I might try to snag one cheap from Guitar Center since I can return it if it's a dud, in which case I'd grab an Ultralite MK4...although I'm thinking about just cutting to the chase and ordering the MK4 since it will last longer without compatibility issues.

I'm not sure what's up with the Alesis, and I admittedly might not be testing it right. I can send LFOs out of Reaktor but they don't seem to have very fine control, and pitch is a bust. I found a Max For Live device that allows you to use Push to play your modular, but the tuning is all over the place-I can tune C2, but C3 comes in at B flat, etc. I think it might be DC coupled, but the output is low. I've finally finished putting my studio back together after tearing it all down to have new flooring installed, so after I sort out my midi routing tomorrow I'm planning to give the Alesis another trial...if you have any thoughts on troubleshooting it to output CVs I'm all ears! I'd be quite happy to get the Alesis locked in instead of buying another interface if possible.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
just ordered a Random Source Serge NTO, bit expensive (£254) but I've been wanting one for sometime.

That thing does sound good!

Assuming all the SMD is already soldered and you just have to do the headers, jacks, pots, etc? Looks like they used some very precise components on it.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
That thing does sound good!

Assuming all the SMD is already soldered and you just have to do the headers, jacks, pots, etc? Looks like they used some very precise components on it.
Ralf does say he used some precise quality components, I just couldn't help thinking should I be buying this for £254 when I can get a Omikron for £299, only time will tell.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Guru

really nice looking modules those serge euro ones..
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody interested there's currently 2 Jupiter 8 filters for sale at the AMSynths shop, they won't be there long.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ralf does say he used some precise quality components, I just couldn't help thinking should I be buying this for £254 when I can get a Omikron for £299, only time will tell.
And the Omikron can be two voices, but I know I'm not helping.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

I got my Thon rack case last night. Definitely not bad for the price. I wouldn't mind it being about 5mm to 10mm shallower, but it's not excessively deep. The tilt feature is really stiff and starts pushing the bottom row below the edge, but not so much that it would impact patch cables. I really don't see myself tilting it down or out after putting a few modules in it. Finally, no patching with the lid on, but that doesn't bother me. All in all, at 70 EURO (and 30 EURO for shipping to the States) it's a cheap and halfway decent alternative to a 6u Bento Box at about half the price.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_19_koffer_6_he.htm
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

I went looking for her in the house and realised i left the studio door open,
i crept up and she was giggling whilst she was touching everything

Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Well, a good story for Perfect Circuit. I received my shipment from them yesterday, including a Just Friends. The manual stated it was one of the original batch, so I was confused if it had the "fix" for the Run input. Posted on muffs and got a nice PM from an employee at PC stating that all their stock should be either new or fixed. Thought that was pretty cool. (as is Just Friends BTW)

I finally have the test bench to mess with circuits setup. Have a really crappy oscillator on the breadboard right now. As you can see, it's now outputting square waves, but it is outputting something. I like imperfection.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-bench.jpg  
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I went looking for her in the house and realised i left the studio door open,
i crept up and she was giggling whilst she was touching everything

A child's playground
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread: