The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

I'll be building my own cases, too. The price of most cases is beyond ridiculous, to me.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I'll be building my own cases, too. The price of most cases is beyond ridiculous, to me.
Once you dig in a look at some the boutique case vendors on Muffs, you'll see it's not the cases that are expensive, it's the power supplies. I spent about $900 on my performance case. Once you break down the cost of all the parts, the guy I bought it from probably made $100 to $150 bucks for his time, tool investment, and expertise.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Addict

After the PSU, the rails get spendy too. One 150hp rails costs $13.60 ATM. So for a large case of 5 rows at 150hp, that's about $136 right there for rails. Plus you still need threaded nuts/inserts. Plus mounting HW. Plus shipping. It all adds up.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Shield View Post
After the PSU, the rails get spendy too. One 150hp rails costs $13.60 ATM. So for a large case of 5 rows at 150hp, that's about $136 right there for rails. Plus you still need threaded nuts/inserts. Plus mounting HW. Plus shipping. It all adds up.
Where are they that cheap? Tiptop z-rails are about $40/pair for 84hp (with threaded inserts)
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Doepfer A-100 DIY PSU kit is $200 USD - 1.2A +/-12V. No 5V, but not many modules use it these days and it's $25 for a plug for one of the bus boards. It includes 6U of 84hp worth of rails, granted they're sliding nuts. Pretty cost conscious if you're looking into a DIY case.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Guru

I love the Atlantis, actually I have a few full voices in my modular and I love them all equally, Atlantis can do some really wacky stuff, watch Mylarmelodies youtube video on it and you'll appreciate it a lot more, it doesn't do the SH 101 "growl" but it does everything else admirably, having all those outs to control loads of other modules is seriously cool too..
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

I've done some thinking over the last few days and after a bit of modulargrid Tetris I think I've settled on 2 O&Cs and 1 unexpanded Turing Machine (that's spread over two cases). Realistically if I devote one O&C to just quantizing (which I likely will do) that will give me four channels to throw randoms, Turings, other O&C modes at. And a second O&C will negate the deep emptiness I would otherwise feel deep in my soul for using a whole O&C as "just a quantizer". And even without Pulses and Volts a 2nd generation Turing Machine is a cool device.

All of this was to free up 12hp in the east coast case to squeeze in a Motomouth VCF that I just backed. I really hope this thing makes it, I could hardly imagine a module more perfect for my usual schtick. I already had the Grendel in previous designs but this seems much more immediate.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I've done some thinking over the last few days and after a bit of modulargrid Tetris I think I've settled on 2 O&Cs and 1 unexpanded Turing Machine (that's spread over two cases). Realistically if I devote one O&C to just quantizing (which I likely will do) that will give me four channels to throw randoms, Turings, other O&C modes at. And a second O&C will negate the deep emptiness I would otherwise feel deep in my soul for using a whole O&C as "just a quantizer". And even without Pulses and Volts a 2nd generation Turing Machine is a cool device.

All of this was to free up 12hp in the east coast case to squeeze in a Motomouth VCF that I just backed. I really hope this thing makes it, I could hardly imagine a module more perfect for my usual schtick. I already had the Grendel in previous designs but this seems much more immediate.
You know.. I got an O_c as a quantizer.. because bang/buck, you're getting 4 great quantizers with a ton of features for little more than a decent single channel.. and then lots of other stuff (lfos, envelopes, turing machines, oh my!)

Well.. after a week, I kinda want a second one. Was playing last night with Euclidean rhythms on it.. tried out turing machines, too.. so far have only gotten into 2 or 3 of the apps!! But it does SO MUCH.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Yay, another backer! The more the merrier! Kinda sad how slowly that funding bar is filling up. Really hoping he gets fully funded.

I've got the Grendel myself and from listening to the Motomouth demos, it sounds like this is a lot more pronounced and aggressive. Grendel is super flexible, but it just doesn't have the same grittiness of the Motomouth demos.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Where are they that cheap? Tiptop z-rails are about $40/pair for 84hp (with threaded inserts)
Not as cheap as what Steam Shield was indicating, but Synthrotek has these:

3U Eurorack Brackets

$29.99 for 84hp rails and brackets. Threaded strips are $15 extra, but that's still cheaper than getting a set of TipTop rails and ears.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

I've gone down the road of building a second, 6u case ... It has Maths, Grids, Streams, and an A-160-5 in it right now, with a precision adder probably being the next purchase. I'm looking for recommendation on something a little more sexy and fun for that case also. I'm thinking a filter and another VCO to compliment what I have. Filter-wise, I'm thinking either a Three Sisters or Aperture. As for VCOs, I'm still undecided. What I really want is good a sample player, something in the range of either a ER-301 or the Rossum-Electro, but that will have to wait. I'm looking for recommendations for something completely different and complimentary to what I have right now. Maybe a DPO? The Freak is another option, but I was never a bit fan of the PD sound (I'm old enough to have had a Casio CZ-101). Any other recommendations?

Obligatory rack links ...
Main performance case https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/402736
Expansion case https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/369808
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Oh and where did you find a girl that's into eurorack? I want one of those.
My wife has been a house and techno DJ since 2002, has shared a live bill with Nitzer Ebb, and at one point or another has had: 101, 303, 606, 707, 808, 909, Jupiter 4, Juno 60, JX-3p, JD-800, Mono/Poly, Pro 1, Polivoks. She has just never gotten into modular until now, and wants me to do the work of building it for her

As I said - I am the lucky one !
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

For building a case - anyone have good rails for 84hp that are adjustable and easy to mount? My only worry is getting the case size off by a few millimeters and not being able to work with what I bought.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Any thoughts on flipping the Mother-32 for an 0-Coast? I dig the Mother, and it's my first Moog, but it's a bit limited in some ways and pretty plentiful on the used market now if I want another one. More than anything else, I've already got a host of other subtractive analog synths and would probably get a Minitaur instead to fill the Moog shaped hole in my studio (sigh...if only the M32 had a 2nd oscillator...). The 0-Coast is calling me as it would let me get into weirder territory and would add more West Coast flavor to my rig, which currently only has a bit of overlap with Maths and an Optomix. Anyone else flipped one for the other?
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I've gone down the road of building a second, 6u case ... It has Maths, Grids, Streams, and an A-160-5 in it right now, with a precision adder probably being the next purchase. I'm looking for recommendation on something a little more sexy and fun for that case also. I'm thinking a filter and another VCO to compliment what I have. Filter-wise, I'm thinking either a Three Sisters or Aperture. As for VCOs, I'm still undecided. What I really want is good a sample player, something in the range of either a ER-301 or the Rossum-Electro, but that will have to wait. I'm looking for recommendations for something completely different and complimentary to what I have right now. Maybe a DPO? The Freak is another option, but I was never a bit fan of the PD sound (I'm old enough to have had a Casio CZ-101). Any other recommendations?

DPO is fun. I like that module a lot. It's got a lot of ways to shape the sound. Perfect Circuit lists having the Freak in stock now, so assuming they don't slowpoke around about shipping it, I'll hopefully get it early next week and can report back on it. It's supposed to do a lot more than just PD, though.

Weren't you talking a page or two back about possibly getting some drum modules?
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Any thoughts on flipping the Mother-32 for an 0-Coast? I dig the Mother, and it's my first Moog, but it's a bit limited in some ways and pretty plentiful on the used market now if I want another one. More than anything else, I've already got a host of other subtractive analog synths and would probably get a Minitaur instead to fill the Moog shaped hole in my studio (sigh...if only the M32 had a 2nd oscillator...). The 0-Coast is calling me as it would let me get into weirder territory and would add more West Coast flavor to my rig, which currently only has a bit of overlap with Maths and an Optomix. Anyone else flipped one for the other?
What about keeping the Mother and getting the 0-Coast in addition to it?

The Mother 32 is super handy anyway. Lots of great utilities and I'm really enjoying that sequencer. You can grab another oscillator to patch in if that's the main thing making you not like it. It does quite well with an ASol VCO.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
DPO is fun. I like that module a lot. It's got a lot of ways to shape the sound. Perfect Circuit lists having the Freak in stock now, so assuming they don't slowpoke around about shipping it, I'll hopefully get it early next week and can report back on it. It's supposed to do a lot more than just PD, though.

Weren't you talking a page or two back about possibly getting some drum modules?
Yeah, I'll probably pick up one of those EMW modules ... I'm trying to pace myself. The T-DRUM looks to be the best for my needs with CV control sample selection. I never wanted to do drums in my rack until I got the damn Grids (thanks guys). Also, EMW stuff is just so cheap. I didn't like the Alias for the aliasing effect, but it makes a hell of a sub-bass voice on the triangle or sine waveforms.

On the subject of drum sounds, what I'd really like is something like an Alesis Trigger I/O for euro. Seems like Doepfer may have a solution. I've already got a hell of a drum machine in the Analog Rytm, I'd be fun to trigger it from my rack.

Last edited by void23; 16th March 2017 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Added Triggering
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
What about keeping the Mother and getting the 0-Coast in addition to it?

The Mother 32 is super handy anyway. Lots of great utilities and I'm really enjoying that sequencer. You can grab another oscillator to patch in if that's the main thing making you not like it. It does quite well with an ASol VCO.
I actually like the Mother-32 quite a bit. The single oscillator on the M32 isn't that big of a deal (but it would still be ballsier if it natively had 2 osc...was mostly just pointing it out as an advantage the Minitaur has over the Mother), but the sequencer is kind of annoying to me. I was just thinking in the sense of changing things up a bit...but this is Gearslutz after all, so the correct answer is always "get both".
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Having played with a 0coast for a bit, it sounds absolutely stellar. It is one of those synths that has such a wide range, if you hate the tone of most of the demos its likely due to how it was patched rather than showing the narrow range of sound it makes (of course, if skronk-y west coast FM is your thing )
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Yep, looks like the Doepfer A-192-1 would make a nice trigger to MIDI note-on module. May have to add that to the wishlist.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I'll probably pick up one of those EMW modules ... I'm trying to pace myself. The T-DRUM looks to be the best for my needs with CV control sample selection. I never wanted to do drums in my rack until I got the damn Grids (thanks guys). Also, EMW stuff is just so cheap. I didn't like the Alias for the aliasing effect, but it makes a hell of a sub-bass voice on the triangle or sine waveforms.
I don't know what your timeline is like for the EMW T-Drum, but if you want, once I get my studio pieced back together, I can slap together a little demo of it for you. It might take up to a week because I've still got a ways to go to cobble everything back together, but the offer's there if you want me to.

Also speaking of EMW, I can't recommend the Analog Drum Synth enough. It's a bit more expensive than the T-Drum and the Digidrum, but you can do so much with that module.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

I just got this one to address some bad planning on my part. Yay!

Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

As a followup to the Perfect Circuit thing, they finally sent out my order yesterday, six days after ordering it, and of course with three of the items not in stock. But, they made good on giving me the discount on the Just Friends with the 10% off coupon, which is cool. So if you ever use these, check to make sure the discount is applied to everything applicable. And if it's not, contact them and they'll set you straight.

In other news, I ordered the 4ms DLD and Malekko Voltage Block from Juno. Those came in and the Voltage Block is a HUGE winner. Even though there's button presses, etc. it's all quite intuitive, and the fact you can essentially record CV changes a la Elektron p-locks is amazing. And the DLD in even the simplest configurations really goes a long way to contribute sound-wise to my rack. These will both take some time to really get to know, but definitely some of the more exciting additions I've had in a while.

Quote:

I'm not familiar with some of the modules in there, but it doesn't appear you have any LPGs? I'd probably go that route instead of straight filters. You've already got some killer filtering capabilities in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Depends what you want? I like the Mother, and if you're looking for Moog sound, or a fantastic square/PWM osc, I think the Mother is great. But the O-Coast is a lot more versatile. It's also very west coast, so you have the east vs. west coast thing if you're looking to branch out or stay the same as you've got etc.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Perfect Circuit just sent me a tracking number for the Melu Freak!
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

@hairbow Take a look at the Ladik midi to clock module. Not the prettiest bit man it is just so very useful. Drum machine midi out and into the module and Boom multiple clocks. In glorious sync. And dirt dirt cheap. Actually not cheap. Inexpensive!
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
My wife has been a house and techno DJ since 2002, has shared a live bill with Nitzer Ebb, and at one point or another has had: 101, 303, 606, 707, 808, 909, Jupiter 4, Juno 60, JX-3p, JD-800, Mono/Poly, Pro 1, Polivoks. She has just never gotten into modular until now, and wants me to do the work of building it for her

As I said - I am the lucky one !
Very lucky.

Clone that girl, stat.
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Digikey for the rails. Vector ts300.

TS300 Vector Electronics | Boxes, Enclosures, Racks | DigiKey
Old 17th March 2017
For the sake of showing off how versatile Rings is as a sound source, here's a recent collaboration between me and my buddy Carbilicon. About 90% of the melodic parts are MI Rings, sometimes filtered by the Intellijel Polaris and other times wavefolded by Warps. Other melodic parts are done with 4ms SMR save a few Reason bits. Drums are a mix of Reason and 4ms QCD, Grids, T-Drum (it worked today), and Nueron.
Attached Files

the new wave.mp3 (6.61 MB, 539 views)

Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I'm not familiar with some of the modules in there, but it doesn't appear you have any LPGs? I'd probably go that route instead of straight filters. You've already got some killer filtering capabilities in there.
The MMF can act as a LPG and Streams can be two LPGs, but I rarely use them that way. I've never been a fan of the sound of the usual suspects when it comes to LPGs, meaning the Make Noise stuff. They always sound to ringy or bongo-ish for my tastes in the demos I've heard.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I usually just simulate LPGs with envelope modulation with what I have, especially the Wasp (I love that thing). As for wanting a filter, most of my filters are really geared towards low pass save the Morpheus. That's why either Three Sister or Aperture seem interesting ... They seem to be to be super band-pass filters and I'd like to have another filter on top of the Morpheus to "animate" the tonal range of a sound. Plus, they both seem like they'd make a good end of chain filter if I wanted that effect.

Finally on VCO's, I spent the evening listening to AFG demos since the AFG2 just came out, talk about animated sounds. Now it's DPO or AFG. I just need something to break out of the tonal palette I currently have.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Atlantis is cool, it sounds a bit more "modern" than the SH-01 that was the inspiration for it. But I guess you've seen or heard examples of it.
Thought you might be interested in this. Atlantis as used on Factory Floor's album. Does sound Roland SH-101 but modern as well as you say. I like the sound of it.

The music gear that made Factory Floor's album '25 25' | Dummy Mag

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search