The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Any of you using a MOTU interface to integrate the computer with your modular? The Alesis interface I had laying around doesn't track well, so I'm not sure if it's really DC coupled...and since I have the cables now, I've been looking at other options. I was looking at picking up a cheap 828 MkII, but it sounds like there is a decent chance of failure with them. Consequently, I'm debating about upping the budget for an Ultralite Mk4.

I'm going to have to set this up as an aggregate device since I still need my other interface for the rest of my gear, but I'm about to rearrange my entire studio this week (currently boxing everything up...no fun), and want to set up the modular on the other side of the room, so having a more local interface option that could also allow me to integrate Reaktor would be dope.

I've set up the Alesis as an aggregate with my current setup so I'm sure that won't be an issue. What I'm wondering about are the "Main" outputs I see on a lot of MOTU units, in addition to the 8 individual outputs. Can you use the Mains for audio out to your monitors, while using the other 8 outputs for CV? That would be incredibly convenient if so.
I have a MOTU and have been using it with my system for some time now, I had recently been having a lot of problems with it and I think it was my own fault as I was getting a lot of harsh distortion and crackling/breakout mid recording and playback sometimes, it turns out..I think...that I had the clock sources all wrong, since I've switched it to the computers internal digital clock everything seems to be fine again..

You can use MOTU outs to run CV out if you have a unit with multiple outs they are DC coupled..

*edit mine is the MOTU 8 pre so has 8 analog ins, 8 ADAT ins and 8 ADAT outs but only has the two analog outs that are purely for monitoring, least that's why I bought mine as it's a very straightforward device like that..

8 analog ins,\
Deepmind
Modular < everything connected throught it included, SH 101, iPhone, OP1 & second laptop.
TR8
SP 250

2 outs to LSR 305's

that's my system and it sounds and runs perfectly...when I set it up right that is..
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I wish they had what I was looking for. :(

Another poor Perfect Circuit story...I made an order Thursday of Just Friends, a small Samson mixer, 2 sets of 10 12" cables (one blue and one black) and a HEK - all things that were labeled as in stock. Friday night I was contacted that the black HEK wasn't in stock, but silver was. So I switched colors - no big deal. Tonight, I get another email. They don't have the mixer in stock, and they can't find the black cables in the warehouse. They recommended a different mixer which wasn't one I was fond of, so I took the option of just getting a refund. So, 3 of the 5 items that I ordered, that were "in stock" weren't actually in stock, which I'm assuming keeps delaying them from sending my order out.

Additionally, they give 10% off coupons for your next order every time you order - one of the reasons I order from them often. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers allow for coupons - although PC still claim they'll give the discount. You have to make sure you ask for it though, provided the item isn't on sale. I still haven't seen any indications of the Just Friends getting the discount yet even though I asked for it in the order and again in my email response tonight.
They are showing as having both black and silver HEK's in stock there right now..
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Any of you using a MOTU interface to integrate the computer with your modular? The Alesis interface I had laying around doesn't track well, so I'm not sure if it's really DC coupled...and since I have the cables now, I've been looking at other options. I was looking at picking up a cheap 828 MkII, but it sounds like there is a decent chance of failure with them. Consequently, I'm debating about upping the budget for an Ultralite Mk4.

I'm going to have to set this up as an aggregate device since I still need my other interface for the rest of my gear, but I'm about to rearrange my entire studio this week (currently boxing everything up...no fun), and want to set up the modular on the other side of the room, so having a more local interface option that could also allow me to integrate Reaktor would be dope.

I've set up the Alesis as an aggregate with my current setup so I'm sure that won't be an issue. What I'm wondering about are the "Main" outputs I see on a lot of MOTU units, in addition to the 8 individual outputs. Can you use the Mains for audio out to your monitors, while using the other 8 outputs for CV? That would be incredibly convenient if so.
Yes, you definitely can. And yes, it is hella convenient. 8 floating ring cables and a copy of Silent Way and you will have the most powerful controller in the universe ready for integration with keyboards, MIDI devices, software, the SW plugins themselves (the Step LFO can be a sequencer, a shift register, etc. etc.) including the Voice Controller, piano roll...
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
They are showing as having both black and silver HEK's in stock there right now..
Yes, as they showed when I ordered on Thursday. But at least as of Friday, they don't have the black - either that or they got a new shipment in, or they just hate me.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I wish they had what I was looking for. :(

Another poor Perfect Circuit story...I made an order Thursday of Just Friends, a small Samson mixer, 2 sets of 10 12" cables (one blue and one black) and a HEK - all things that were labeled as in stock. Friday night I was contacted that the black HEK wasn't in stock, but silver was. So I switched colors - no big deal. Tonight, I get another email. They don't have the mixer in stock, and they can't find the black cables in the warehouse. They recommended a different mixer which wasn't one I was fond of, so I took the option of just getting a refund. So, 3 of the 5 items that I ordered, that were "in stock" weren't actually in stock, which I'm assuming keeps delaying them from sending my order out.

Additionally, they give 10% off coupons for your next order every time you order - one of the reasons I order from them often. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers allow for coupons - although PC still claim they'll give the discount. You have to make sure you ask for it though, provided the item isn't on sale. I still haven't seen any indications of the Just Friends getting the discount yet even though I asked for it in the order and again in my email response tonight.
Yeah, I've got a new Perfect Circuit horror story brewing it feels. Usually if I have to order from them, I'll do it through eBay because of accountability there. So Sunday night, I ordered those two expansion modules from them via eBay. Here it is Tuesday and still no tracking info from them.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Just purchased these:

The MFB drums were a good price for the set, so I went ahead and snagged them and added the mixer. These are the same as what were in the Schlagzwerg and the only things I disliked about that machine were the sequencer and the MIDI implementation, so these should be great.

The Zlob modules were two for one. I already have a TH EQ, but it's a good enough EQ that a second one could be useful. And that right there is officially my first clock divider.

With the new case, the racks, and modules on the way, I'm taking the opportunity to move the studio to a bigger room so it's all in the same space as my guitar stuff. I'll take photos when it's all reassembled and the Christmas lights are up and running.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

hey modular squad:

awhile back I asked about setting up a 104hp for myself. After working with a Blofeld and an Octatrack I am quite happy with this, and wanting to learn this workflow better. However, my wife wants to get into modular. Start the count down for us being homeless and destitute now

She and I settled on this potential build for an 84hp setup, based around the Intellijel Atlantis. She loves Roland-sounding gear, but doesn't want actual vintage Roland (she has literally owned almost all of it at one point or another, wanting to move forward with sound and tired of repairs), and doesn't want to get too lost in spaghetti/confusing module land. We're thinking a Mutable Tides, MakeNoise Function, and a Wogglebug with a passive mult for trig and LFO signals. We decided to pass on more dense modules like Maths due to the slim setup, and to make each piece seem clear/easy to use. We're looking at it as two super flexible LFOs with a single "weird" module for some exploration. Also we have a friend selling most of this used save for the Atlantis, so we'll get a deal
Thoughts?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/395388
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
Thoughts?
Get a bigger case! Modular is about crazy and chaotic interactions. If you're goal is to build out a single voice, there are much cheaper and better ways than going modular.

If you do go down this modular route, you need some VCA's and probably another filter if you plan to use Tides as an OSC. Wogglebug has also been discussed recently, definitely not one of my favorites for a small system. I'd say get a S/H instead of the Wogglebug to start, but you don't have a dedicated clock (you can use an LFO, but then you lose it to clocking), nor the room to really have one in an 84hp case.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

People say 'limitations inspire creativity' - our limitation is we share a 2'x4' folding table for live, and won't add more gear than we can fit. She gets half, I get half. Getting a large euro system would be counter to that. We both have an Octatrack, a Rytm for drums, a Mackie mixer and FX on the aux sends, so not much more room. We're looking at the Happy Ending Kit for a case and keeping it self contained. If need be, get a Bento Box and add multiple HEKs later on

The other limitation is that we would keep the Atlantis strictly for sound generating, to cut down on attenuators/mixer modules/other stuff, and use the VCA out. If the Wogglebug isn't ideal, I can look at other things, but the ability to go from stepped to smooth modulation amounts seems much better than many of the other alternatives, and cheaper. Some of the Mannequin modules look great but are very costly when put next to alternatives.

Any comments from people on alternative modulation setups?
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'd ditch the Woggle and Tides* and do Batumi, a slim VCA and an MI Kinks or another multi-utility module with sample and hold.

* I should clarify that I own and use Tides, but it is a lot of HP for dubious utility in a 1-row. If you're really into Parasite, I guess that's a different story.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
f you're really into Parasite, I guess that's a different story.
Parasites on Tides isn't that useful, imho. Sheep is a good OS, but not a fan of Parasites in this case.

@hairbow: Seriously, get the biggest case you can afford. Once you start patching and realizing the possibilities, you'll want more than what that single row can offer. I too started with an HEK and a handful of modules to complement a Vostok I had at the time. Within a week, I was already clearing out space for more modular.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
People say 'limitations inspire creativity' - our limitation is we share a 2'x4' folding table for live, and won't add more gear than we can fit. She gets half, I get half. Getting a large euro system would be counter to that. We both have an Octatrack, a Rytm for drums, a Mackie mixer and FX on the aux sends, so not much more room. We're looking at the Happy Ending Kit for a case and keeping it self contained. If need be, get a Bento Box and add multiple HEKs later on

The other limitation is that we would keep the Atlantis strictly for sound generating, to cut down on attenuators/mixer modules/other stuff, and use the VCA out. If the Wogglebug isn't ideal, I can look at other things, but the ability to go from stepped to smooth modulation amounts seems much better than many of the other alternatives, and cheaper. Some of the Mannequin modules look great but are very costly when put next to alternatives.

I'd see if you could fit a Mantis at 540 x 314 x 107mm when lying flat, and even less deep at an angle. About the same width as a Bento (which seems to have been discontinued). Also, looks for a MIDI interface with clock outs. I use a Yarns to sync my system with my Analog Rytm acting as a master clock. Yarns will also give you two OSC's that you can control with your Octatrack.

I have and like the Batumi, but you can get more modulation and variation for your HP with an Octocontroller. You can even use the Octocontroller as a poor man's PEG for sync'd envelopes, it's just one of the more costly modulation modules though. Right now, I typically use my Batumi for non-sync'd stuff and the Octo for sync'd.

I tried building something with an Atlantis and Zeus in an 84hp rack, but couldn't really come up with anything that compelling. You've basically got MIDI with clock outputs, an arpeggiator or euclidian rhythm source, 2 additional OSC's on top of the Atlantis, a descent and compact filter than can also be an LPG, lots of sync'd modulation, two EG / VCA's, and a mixer to either handle CV or color the OSC's. Just barely enough for a nice drone with another pattern over the top of it. It'd be great to be able to squeeze in ringmod or wave shaping to get beyond the simple east-coast sound, but just not enough space.

You could squeeze a bit more in there by going with a Batumi and Disting instead of an Octocontroller, but the sweet spot for a live system is at least 6u. I've heard Richard Devine say that a 6u is about 30m to 45m of music and he's one of the better at squeezing the most you can out of a system. Crazy idea, but have you thought about a 0-Coast instead of a 3u?
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

What is getting lost to some people:
1) the happy ending kit and a few of these modules are getting sold to us at a great discount.
2) if we want to expand to 6u later, we'd rather have a fleshed out voice really quick and then slowly piecemeal to a larger setup, rather than just keep adding when we can
3) this is dipping the toe in modular - getting a happy ending kit for $50 from a friend will be less hassle then sourcing a large 6u case, power supply, i/o routing etc etc then realizing it isn't her thing
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) the happy ending kit and a few of these modules are getting sold to us at a great discount.
2) if we want to expand to 6u later, we'd rather have a fleshed out voice really quick and then slowly piecemeal to a larger setup, rather than just keep adding when we can
3) this is dipping the toe in modular - getting a happy ending kit for $50 from a friend will be less hassle then sourcing a large 6u case, power supply, i/o routing etc etc then realizing it isn't her thing
You can build a 6u with one HEK w/ Zeus, then another set of TipTop rails and ears. I don't have it in my hands yet, so it might be junk, but I picked up this case for a similar 6u config for $100.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_19_koffer_6_he.htm

Remember, you asked and we've all made similar mistakes when starting out. Euro is about the most expensive route you can go when it comes to electronic music production. It's amazing what you can do with a system, but you pay for the flexibility. Think of it as like Lego, you can't build much with a dozen pieces, but when you have enough, you can have a scale replica of the Eiffel Tower (that set is next to modular rig BTW )
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

The Intellijel 7u cases look really nice, and their 1u line seems to handle a lot of tedious routing, I'd probably splurge on that once we had the funds and modules
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I have and like the Batumi, but you can get more modulation and variation for your HP with an Octocontroller. You can even use the Octocontroller as a poor man's PEG for sync'd envelopes, it's just one of the more costly modulation modules though. Right now, I typically use my Batumi for non-sync'd stuff and the Octo for sync'd.
Worth pointing out that the Batumi does work really well for synced LFOs. The Octocontroller does look really powerful and useful. For me I decided against it on my "must be comprehensible from front panel" rationale. Maybe I have misjudged it, but it looks a little deep for my patching style.

I have also experimented with the Tides for synched LFOs. Tides unlabeled multi-modal thing with the LEDs is a little tetchy. I'm getting there after a lot of playing with it, but am thinking about selling it. (...Though the PLL mode is charming. I also should probably experiment with alternate OSes before deciding.)

My setup is at 18u for reference. I started out with a Cell 48 and then two and then three and then a 6u. I think starting small and expanding incrementally is not a bad way to go. I had a pretty coherent setup at each of those stages.

Last edited by apropos of noth; 14th March 2017 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: More detail and context
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I agree with apropos about Tides. 14HP for a single modulation source is a lot. I would get a Maths instead of a Function and Tides. It may seem like a lot of HP but there is so many features crammed in there and it would cover the 2 envelopes plus give you attenuators, envelope following, inversion, signal delay... there's just so much it can do. It's really perfect for a small system. Peaks is another winner for small systems as wall as Butami.

You mentioned Mannequin and I would definitely recommend Just Friends but it is expensive and a pretty unconventional choice. I'm not sure it's a great choice for starting out. The SSF Ultra Random is an alternative to Wogglebug. It has more S&H circuits and gives you more control over them at the expense of not having the VCO outs (actually the clock will track v/o but I can't say I've ever used mine that way).
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it will fit your needs, though. Even if the Function you're getting is a bargain, it's still only a third of what a Maths can can do.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with that, but keep in mind that you may outgrow some of the items that you're buying now, i.e. Function.

Quote:
If price is a concern for the case, another option would be to just load up a rack with Happy Ending Kits and Z-Rails. You can get a good three or four rows of power out of a uZeus if you change the power supply out for something a little more robust. Heck, my system is essentially seven HEK's and twenty more sets of rails to go along with them mounted in five 20u racks. It looks hodgepodge, but I'm also not the only one that's gone this route.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey modular squad:

awhile back I asked about setting up a 104hp for myself. After working with a Blofeld and an Octatrack I am quite happy with this, and wanting to learn this workflow better. However, my wife wants to get into modular. Start the count down for us being homeless and destitute now

She and I settled on this potential build for an 84hp setup, based around the Intellijel Atlantis. She loves Roland-sounding gear, but doesn't want actual vintage Roland (she has literally owned almost all of it at one point or another, wanting to move forward with sound and tired of repairs), and doesn't want to get too lost in spaghetti/confusing module land. We're thinking a Mutable Tides, MakeNoise Function, and a Wogglebug with a passive mult for trig and LFO signals. We decided to pass on more dense modules like Maths due to the slim setup, and to make each piece seem clear/easy to use. We're looking at it as two super flexible LFOs with a single "weird" module for some exploration. Also we have a friend selling most of this used save for the Atlantis, so we'll get a deal
Thoughts?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/395388
So romantic; a modular couple
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

My wife has played Berghain. I am the lucky one
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just start with whatever you can afford and go from there. You'll quickly find what is missing or not. My guess is you'll buy and sell a fair few modules before you settle on something you really gel with.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

Everyone's saying go bigger, etc etc and they're right.

But you're also right. If you're getting a great deal on some used gear, run with it to get started. If, er once you outgrow it, you can sell it at no loss or maybe even a profit if you're getting a good enough deal. The first few months are spent learning how to do things modularly anyway. No matter what you start with, there will be a learning curve.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

Probably blasphemy but: I find West Coast voices/systems are more compact. Partially because the design aesthetic emphasizes modulation density and partially because you can do a lot with a few modules and some repatching (also an important design aesthetic of the WC). But truly with a pair of oscillators, a wave folder and/or shaper (or just buy a complex oscillator), a pair of low pass gates, a pair of envelopes and some wacky modulation to throw at it all you can put together a fantastic little voice.

For example:
a pair of STOs, Optomix, Maths, uFold, Octocontroller, Triatt, Rene fits into 3U 104

Gives you effectively a complex oscillator (minus VCAs; you might potentially sacrifice either Triatt or Maths [in favor of two Functions] to squeeze in a pair of VCAs for mod busses), dual LPG, pair of function generator/envelopes, 8 LFOs (sync'able, also does S&H CVs, gates, pulses...so 8 channels of that) and at least some scale and offset. Believe me, that is an extremely powerful and flexible voice. If I had to be limited to 1 3U case (thankfully no such limitation exists in my life) that would probably be it.

But I'm of two minds, here: add another row and you can add more modulators, another pair of LPGs and envelopes (there's something to be said for four LPGs available in a voice) and oscillators and you still have room left over for extravagance like a giant spectral processing EQ or some other kind of funky sequencer or a bunch of effects. And 6U is not exactly what I'd call unportable or unwieldy; I find it to be a pretty perfect size personally. So I'd have to join in the chorus of suggesting 6U over 3U or whatever.
Old 15th March 2017
Get the used stuff - no brainer.
Not sure about Atlantis personally.
See how you go.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

Have kicked the tires on the Omsonic filter, this thing does not disappoint (hat tip clusterchord). Definitely want to knob it up though (twss). My 101 lust is subsiding. Time to finish off these modular cases. So I can start the next one.

Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

I'm still on the fence wondering if I should hit this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...co/description
fully funded all the stretch goals.
I'm gonna regret it if I don't
good job pauls!
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

I just looked into building my own case. To get even more cute modular couple-y - the long-term plan is to build a case where her 7u rack is the lid for my 7u rack, so when we play shows together we can take one unit

Looking at this muff thread - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...er=asc&start=0
It seems easy enough with the skills I have. Expanding it to 7u 84hp means it would still be carry on luggage for any international flight, but have those handy Intellijel modules. Rather than wrapping with tolex, I'd wanna opt for industrial grade 3M reflective material

She wants some east coast-y stuff (where the Atlantis comes in) but will probably do the rest Serge-ish, and my setup be a mix of west coast and deep digital pieces (like that Rossum Morpheus filter, which oh my god has anyone used one yet?)

Still planning on getting the HEKs on a bargain, just because we want to get started now and also it would look sad having a 7u case with only like three modules in it
Old 15th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
The Octocontroller does look really powerful and useful. For me I decided against it on my "must be comprehensible from front panel" rationale. Maybe I have misjudged it, but it looks a little deep for my patching style.
I'd recommend the Octocontroller to anyone even if they were just starting out based on how easy it is to use. Takes about 5 minutes to understand how to use maybe 90% of it. It really couldn't be much simpler for how powerful it is.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I'm still on the fence wondering if I should hit this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...co/description
fully funded all the stretch goals.
I'm gonna regret it if I don't
good job pauls!
Yes, you should.

I should too, but I'm highly likely not going to. Too much ching for me.
Old 15th March 2017
Quote:
As a modular monosynth that is a good setup.
Please note that this Doepfer MIDI to CV-GATE converter has no clock, no start stop or reset outputs. If you decide on adding modular sequencers, clock dividers etc. later, you might miss that.
Agree with the larger case. You'll want more modules later. OTOH to limit yourself to one row, and really get to know it, isn't a bad thing. [edit: I read you changed your plans already ]

Atlantis is cool, it sounds a bit more "modern" than the SH-01 that was the inspiration for it. But I guess you've seen or heard examples of it.

FYI there's Roland modules on the market now (new), and there's a few other modules that borrowed the old Roland designs. But if you can get a deal on these, I'd say go for it.

Oh and where did you find a girl that's into eurorack? I want one of those.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search