The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 12th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
But I think cane was talking about their newest module, the Wave Folder+.
Serge has both. I personally prefer the VCM (Wave Multiplier) and I mentioned it because it's included in that Random Source panel he pictured.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

That complete Serge panel looks damn cool. Have you done any of Roman's stuff regarding the Serge stuff? Doesn't he have a full Serge instrument - a 208?
When you say Roman is that the guy behind sputnik ? No I've not made any of Romans modules.

If it is the Roman behind sputnik then i am interested in building his upcoming CS80 clone.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

I thought you guys were just speculating about the Behringer thing. I didn't know they were actually planning this!
Seems to be generating a lot of negativity on forums however i like the idea and hope they make it.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Once again, wow, Grids. I think it was Derp with the recommendation so thanks. The accent outs really make this thing shine. With my current patch, I've got Peaks in drum mode on the main trigs, then melodic sounds on the accents, and just S/H'ing all the Grids inputs from the Octocontroller. Total old school Skinny Puppy or Tear Garden chaotic syncopation. It even gives my Wogglebug something to do now creating ARP 2600 style hats ala Meat Beat Manifesto.

I think I'm going to take back not wanting drums in Euro and pick up some of the EMW modules since it's looks like I've officially started on a second 6u / 84hp case. I picked up one of these to put some TipTop rails in for about $100 shipped to the states. https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_19_koffer_6_he.htm
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Seems to be generating a lot of negativity on forums however i like the idea and hope they make it.
Uli B. showed some social media data mining where its two third positive and one third negative feedback... Just saying..

I like it too. But then i like everything synth related and dont understand people who want to forbid anything new May be they are just afraid of choices.. definitively not modular material, if so
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
208 is Buchla. Isn't all of Roman's stuff basically Buchla, not Serge?
Yeah, my mistake. Too early, not enough coffee...;

Quote:
When you say Roman is that the guy behind sputnik ? No I've not made any of Romans modules.

If it is the Roman behind sputnik then i am interested in building his upcoming CS80 clone.
Yes, that's the guy. And yes, he's also putting together the CS80 clone.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Uli B. showed some social media data mining where its two third positive and one third negative feedback... Just saying..

I like it too. But then i like everything synth related and dont understand people who want to forbid anything new May be they are just afraid of choices.. definitively not modular material, if so
The Poll so far over at Muffs.......

Would you buy it?

Yes 17%

Maybe 30%

No 52%

Total Votes : 164
Old 12th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
But then i like everything synth related and dont understand people who want to forbid anything new May be they are just afraid of choices.. definitively not modular material, if so
Agree 100%. Fear of the misunderstood is the product of arrogance and a closed mind. Minds that are open to possibilities embrace the misunderstood or unknown with curiosity or as a challenge to be faced, rather than a threat to the status quo...modular aficionados tend to be the latter of the two IMO.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Spent the last hour watching Instruō troika triple oscillator videos, wondering if i should pull the trigger
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
c'mon guys.
And the worst part is, I thought I'd found a fix for this:

You see those jagged ends there? I thought that was just bad photoshopping until I got a set into some Synthrotek rails I bought. These 84hp rails are close to 85hp, but with the last hole on each end snapped in half, so it doesn't fit perfectly into the rail brackets. The rack with these things in them juts out about half a centimeter because you can't get the brackets to hold the strip straight.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Would you buy it?

Yes 17%

Maybe 30%

No 52%

Well to be fair, while he is trying to appeal to the modular crowd, we're not exactly his target audience on this one. He's trying to market it like a Mother 32 where there's tons of Mother 32 owners that don't have any modular to go with it. It's a smart move on his part I think, and even with the limited CV I/O, I'd get one. Voice modules are fun; all the convenience of a fixed-architecture synth, but you can break free of those confines every once in a while.

Though speaking of Behringer, I pitched the idea of an inexpensive mixer module to Uli in that thread, and he's one of the folks that gave it a thumbs up, so at least he knows that there's some people out there that want one.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Would you buy it?

Yes 17%

Maybe 30%

No 52%

Quote:
Well to be fair, while he is trying to appeal to the modular crowd, we're not exactly his target audience on this one. He's trying to market it like a Mother 32 where there's tons of Mother 32 owners that don't have any modular to go with it. It's a smart move on his part I think, and even with the limited CV I/O, I'd get one. Voice modules are fun; all the convenience of a fixed-architecture synth, but you can break free of those confines every once in a while.

Though speaking of Behringer, I pitched the idea of an inexpensive mixer module to Uli in that thread, and he's one of the folks that gave it a thumbs up, so at least he knows that there's some people out there that want one.
Agreed. I don't think the muffs audience is the one that would eat this up in bunches, although some would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Agree 100%. Fear of the misunderstood is the product of arrogance and a closed mind. Minds that are open to possibilities embrace the misunderstood or unknown with curiosity or as a challenge to be faced, rather than a threat to the status quo...modular aficionados tend to be the latter of the two IMO.
I've shared my thoughts about it on the actual synth thread here, but my opposition to it has nothing to do with fear or closed mind. IMO, and based on comments made by Uli, he'll be using the same PCB layout/schematic, and now the UI is damn near the same of the original - it's not like the DeepMind in that it takes functionality and adds something significant to it. Add to that the fact, Moog - a company previously run by the creator of the synth, just came out with a re-issue less than a year ago and I think it's a classless and disrespectful move on Behringer's part.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Yal are making me gas over O_C and I'm supposed to be "done".

I never really got that interested in the Mother 32 and I'm pretty sure I'll pass on the Behringer thing. At least the M32 has that sequencer. It's not that I don't love Moog. It's just that I use the Moog sound for pretty much one sound only and that is square wave bass and I haven't found anything that does that better than the Minitaur to my ears. It's only short coming is that the CV is pretty limited. But after a lengthy thought experiment where I imagined building an AJH dream Moog (for like $2k+), I decided to just get some extra 1/8 to 1/4 cables and patch the Minitaur like any other module. It's weird what eurorack can do to the mind. The Minitaur has been sitting about 2 feet away from the modular for years and I just never patched it for some reason. It's like in-the-boxitis with hardware. Anyhow this is a pretty basic use of it but after this patch I think my Moog gas is done.

Old 12th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ditch the car get a cheap secondhand push bike and fill another rack
I wouldn't mind but my drive to work is an hr one way, that would translate to 4 hrs by bike or a quick 5 min death by heart attack, which ever came first..
Old 12th March 2017
Quote:

I've shared my thoughts about it on the actual synth thread here, but my opposition to it has nothing to do with fear or closed mind. IMO, and based on comments made by Uli, he'll be using the same PCB layout/schematic, and now the UI is damn near the same of the original - it's not like the DeepMind in that it takes functionality and adds something significant to it. Add to that the fact, Moog - a company previously run by the creator of the synth, just came out with a re-issue less than a year ago and I think it's a classless and disrespectful move on Behringer's part.
My comment was general and not to do with the Berry. Sorry about the crossed wires...
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Gonna buy eurorack compartible Behringer 2600 mini clone
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Old 13th March 2017
Quote:

Would you buy it?

Yes 17%

Maybe 30%

No 52%

I don't really care what any company makes, or any customer buys, but AJH have already comprehensively covered the Mini-Moog concept in Euro. So it's a bit of a 'done' idea. Also the AJH version is split into Euro components. Finally the AJH modules sound fantastic.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't really care what any company makes, or any customer buys, but AJH have already comprehensively covered the Mini-Moog concept in Euro. So it's a bit of a 'done' idea. Also the AJH version is split into Euro components. Finally the AJH modules sound fantastic.
The AJH modules were next on my to buy list. Was about to get one Osc and the VCF cause thats all i could fund at the moment. Now that Berry has announced his clone i am holding back of course. If it turns out to be unsatisfying i can still grade up.

This being said. The idea of a two voice minimoog intrigues me. I couldnt realize it financially with any other option then crowminius or the upcomming Behringer.

It really doesnt matter to me wether it sounds exactly like the vintage or the reissue. If it captures the sound close enough i am good. Basically like the boutiques from Roland. I do pop music, sound character is more important than the metaphysical things people need to call up to describe miniscule differences.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, but here's the thing of it: For the cost of one AJH oscillator, you can get a whole MiniMoog synth, and therein lies the appeal. If you can afford an AJH MiniMogue, you're not far off from buying a real one if you want it. The Behry on the other hand appeals to a different class of consumer, the ones that have to save just to afford $400.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Meme Antenna is having a sale today and tomorrow:

Online Orders

All 10% OFF
$300+ 15%OFF

In Store
All 15% OFF
* Music Instrument Only *

* Sale excludes following items *
Bundled / Used / Discounted / Pre-order items
MeMe Antenna Cases / Black Market Modular
Arturia / Korg / Synthrotek / Benidub
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Addict

My Sunday Chill, which is what I got up to with the modular (and the Wurli) yesterday.

Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Online Orders

All 10% OFF
$300+ 15%OFF

In Store
All 15% OFF

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered a Doepfer A-160-5 so I can pretend to sound like Richard Devine.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice that it's 3 oscillators but no patching like the M32 and more like a rack synth like the Slim Phatty. Depends what the architecture is based on and what it sounds like.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

I have a seen a Pamelas cheap and wondering if I need one and what I'd really get from it. So it's a master clock/clock divider and is good for sending out signals for generative patches. I don't use my modular for drums so would use it to trigger other stuff. Is this it then?
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Any of you using a MOTU interface to integrate the computer with your modular? The Alesis interface I had laying around doesn't track well, so I'm not sure if it's really DC coupled...and since I have the cables now, I've been looking at other options. I was looking at picking up a cheap 828 MkII, but it sounds like there is a decent chance of failure with them. Consequently, I'm debating about upping the budget for an Ultralite Mk4.

I'm going to have to set this up as an aggregate device since I still need my other interface for the rest of my gear, but I'm about to rearrange my entire studio this week (currently boxing everything up...no fun), and want to set up the modular on the other side of the room, so having a more local interface option that could also allow me to integrate Reaktor would be dope.

I've set up the Alesis as an aggregate with my current setup so I'm sure that won't be an issue. What I'm wondering about are the "Main" outputs I see on a lot of MOTU units, in addition to the 8 individual outputs. Can you use the Mains for audio out to your monitors, while using the other 8 outputs for CV? That would be incredibly convenient if so.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I've set up the Alesis as an aggregate with my current setup so I'm sure that won't be an issue. What I'm wondering about are the "Main" outputs I see on a lot of MOTU units, in addition to the 8 individual outputs. Can you use the Mains for audio out to your monitors, while using the other 8 outputs for CV? That would be incredibly convenient if so.
You'll have all the outs at your disposal to do as you wish. want to send audio out the mains, OK. want to send CV out DC coupled outs, OK. make sure you figure out which outs are which in the aggregate device and have fun! I use a motu 896HD and an Expert Sleepers ES-3 MK3 for 16 outs.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I have a seen a Pamelas cheap and wondering if I need one and what I'd really get from it. So it's a master clock/clock divider and is good for sending out signals for generative patches. I don't use my modular for drums so would use it to trigger other stuff. Is this it then?
Lack of clock dividers was my big, "newbie" mistake when I started building my system. They're not just great for generative stuff but integral to almost any random or timed function you might do on your rack. I don't do drums in my rack either (well, just started playing with Peaks in drum mode with Grids), but my clock and divider outputs are the most dense parts of my patch chord jungle.

As for Pamela's specifically, I went cheaper in the short term, more expensive in the long term with Doepfer A-160 series modules (about $350 for the full set of Doepfer's with today's order). Now that I have an Octo, I still like the immediacy of the jack based UI in the Doepfer's.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Online Orders

All 10% OFF
$300+ 15%OFF

In Store
All 15% OFF

I wish they had what I was looking for. :(

Another poor Perfect Circuit story...I made an order Thursday of Just Friends, a small Samson mixer, 2 sets of 10 12" cables (one blue and one black) and a HEK - all things that were labeled as in stock. Friday night I was contacted that the black HEK wasn't in stock, but silver was. So I switched colors - no big deal. Tonight, I get another email. They don't have the mixer in stock, and they can't find the black cables in the warehouse. They recommended a different mixer which wasn't one I was fond of, so I took the option of just getting a refund. So, 3 of the 5 items that I ordered, that were "in stock" weren't actually in stock, which I'm assuming keeps delaying them from sending my order out.

Additionally, they give 10% off coupons for your next order every time you order - one of the reasons I order from them often. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers allow for coupons - although PC still claim they'll give the discount. You have to make sure you ask for it though, provided the item isn't on sale. I still haven't seen any indications of the Just Friends getting the discount yet even though I asked for it in the order and again in my email response tonight.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
You'll have all the outs at your disposal to do as you wish. want to send audio out the mains, OK. want to send CV out DC coupled outs, OK. make sure you figure out which outs are which in the aggregate device and have fun! I use a motu 896HD and an Expert Sleepers ES-3 MK3 for 16 outs.
Sweet, that's smart and flexible for my needs. Although now I'm starting to think about maybe just getting an 828 MKII from Guitar Center since I can easily return it if it's a dud...in which case I'd probably suck it up and grab the Ultralite MK4. Hopefully the I/O on the 828 can be set up from the front panel if software configuration is archaic or nonexistent. Computer integration is something I want to experiment with, but I don't necessarily want to spend much money on it just to try it out...of course, if I dig it then I better start budgeting for a bunch of ES modules
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search