The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Well, my research has led me to the Malekko Voltage Block now, which I'd ignored before this, mostly due to menu diving/button combos, etc. However, it actually looks much easier to use than I originally thought, and it packs a huge punch from a functionality standpoint.

Conundrums, conundrums...maybe I'll just try making my own. :(

They could easily add a number of jacks and a couple of pots and still keep the price at or below 500, if they're targeting this at 400.
yes they could but keep them on the unit itself, no need for an extra expander module to pay more just for cv jacks..makes little sense to me, put them on the unit itself.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They could easily add a number of jacks and a couple of pots and still keep the price at or below 500, if they're targeting this at 400.
Or just solder pads at certain points on the PCB so others can develop expansions/breakout boxes.

This should cost Behringer next to nothing.

However, i am of course all in for more CV access on the unit itself too.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Just commissioned an O&C. I had originally two uScales in the design (primarily one for the main Turing Machine output, one for Volts output); then I decided on a pair of Penrose (uScale really needs a trigger IN); but at this point I think the O&C is just the bang for the buck quantizer - not to mention everything else it does. In fact it will give me time to see if I really want a Turing hybrid panel or if I can just get used to the menu-driven ASR in O&C (I think I still want a Turing machine but if I can learn to love that O&C mode I'll double up on O&Cs and it will give me another 4hp in this case).
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Just commissioned an O&C. I had originally two uScales in the design (primarily one for the main Turing Machine output, one for Volts output); then I decided on a pair of Penrose (uScale really needs a trigger IN); but at this point I think the O&C is just the bang for the buck quantizer - not to mention everything else it does. In fact it will give me time to see if I really want a Turing hybrid panel or if I can just get used to the menu-driven ASR in O&C (I think I still want a Turing machine but if I can learn to love that O&C mode I'll double up on O&Cs and it will give me another 4hp in this case).
I'd vote for keeping the Turing Machine in the plan if you can. One of my favorite things to do with O_C is run it in Automatonnetz mode (a complex chord mode) with an arpeggiator on output A and feed it the root note from a Turing Machine for random progressions. I'll even still use a uScale with all this stuff to constrain the Turning Machine before it goes into O_C. That's essentially the core of the patch I'm listening to right now in the background.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

My brother is decommissioning an oil rig, i asked him if there were any oscilloscopes on the rig and he brought me this home
He said theres some other units he'll bring me home next trip.

Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

two O_C is just more win.

anyone want to chime in with getting more out of my rack?
I don't have room for more case, but wanna switch out some modules for others that are smaller with the same or more utility.
goal is to fit in a batumi (10hp) & a stereo output mixer (6 channels with panning & mutes)
here's what I've got:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/391507

ideas so far:
two A-183-2 I can switch out for one SSF SPO (save 4hp)
A-135-1 can switch for Intellijel quad vca (save 6hp)
A-134-1 can switch for Malekko Fade (save 4hp)
A-138d can switch for Malekko SND/RTN (save 4hp)
erica black mixer switch for a bigger stereo mixer (10hp out)
so that's 28hp to fit batumi & stereo mixer.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
two O_C is just more win.

anyone want to chime in with getting more out of my rack?
I don't have room for more case, but wanna switch out some modules for others that are smaller with the same or more utility.
goal is to fit in a batumi (10hp) & a stereo output mixer (sputnik stereo 20hp)
here's what I've got:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/391507

ideas so far:
two A-183-2 I can switch out for one SSF SPO (save 4hp)
A-135-1 can switch for Intellijel quad vca (save 6hp)
A-134-1 can switch for Malekko Fade (save 4hp)
A-138d can switch for Malekko SND/RTN (save 4hp)
erica black mixer switch for the sputnik (lose 10hp)
still looking to shave off 2hp to fit the batumi.
Replace the Doepfer A-138b's with Manhattan Analog DTM's (saving 4hp each). Get a ALM S.B.G to replace the A-138d, saves another 4hp while adding more potential functionality. You could also switch the A-135-1 for a Veils or Blinds. That Vermona is just huge for what it is, you could swap that for an Octocontroller.
Old 11th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
That Vermona is just huge for what it is, you could swap that for an Octocontroller.
And have quadruple the functionality in less than half the space. I really love the looks of that Vermona module, I'll bet those big knobs are a joy to work with in all that space, but it really seems like it is for huge systems based on bang-per-hp. Beware, you will spend endless hours having fun with your modular if you get an Octocontroller. Mine is every patch, plugged to the gills.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Those are some good suggestions, thanks.

Octocontroller is a really good suggestion. fourmulator is a huge space hog but it's so immediate and hands on. Now that I'm Looking into the octo I'd probably get the it over the batumi.. or maybe switch the formulator for the octo and batumi.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Beware, you will spend endless hours having fun with your modular if you get an Octocontroller. Mine is every patch, plugged to the gills.
that's the idea of getting a batumi, I want more LFO's on EVERYTHING all the time.
Old 11th March 2017
Quote:
...maybe switch the formulator for the octo and batumi.
Yes, this what I would do for sure, more modulation than you can shake a stick at.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Octocontroller is a really good suggestion. fourmulator is a huge space hog but it's so immediate and hands on. Now that I'm Looking into the octo I'd probably get the it over the batumi.. or maybe switch the formulator for the octo and batumi.
I'd get them both . Just a quick picture of typical modulation use in my rack, and you have a bigger system than me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

sell the top row to buy the bottom row

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/417313
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Don't get rid of the Fourmulator it's an incredible module, yes the batumi is smaller but smaller doesn't mean better, the fourmulator is so immediate and beautifully built..I use it for all my modulation in my system..it can act as a serious sequencer too.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'd vote for keeping the Turing Machine in the plan if you can. One of my favorite things to do with O_C is run it in Automatonnetz mode (a complex chord mode) with an arpeggiator on output A and feed it the root note from a Turing Machine for random progressions. I'll even still use a uScale with all this stuff to constrain the Turning Machine before it goes into O_C. That's essentially the core of the patch I'm listening to right now in the background.
The Turing Machine has a few things going for it that the software Turing Machines don't have:
-Pulses will play super nicely with the GATE INs on SMR, one of the original things that drew me to that expander
-Volts is like an auto harmonizer as long as you have 2 channels of quantization (check)
-The way TM is designed it's pretty responsive; not quite like encoders and buttons and menus

So I think for 4hp I'll stick with the plan. I could definitely learn to live with and enjoy 2 O&C instead of O&C+TM but I think the variety of the latter plus the feature synergy makes it the better choice; plus there's nothing 4hp that I'm just dying to squeeze in there (I'd probably just double up on SPOs anyway and have another two channels of scale/offset; which is great but I'll have SISM and other modules in other cases to support s/o as needed so not compelling).
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

The used Grids I ordered just showed up, so far I'm liking it. My first patch started as a simple bass line. I then take the "accent" out and have it toggle a flip-flop to switch between octaves using a precision adder. I've got a long gate on the "fill" to switch densities on a musical division. Sounds bit complex, but pretty much what I was looking for in a rhythm generation box.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

So the Digidrum and T-Drum FINALLY came in today. Turns out that was a hole in my system that was overlooked as these things are great. Push them through the CP3 and Torcido, and it's instant industrial madness. As far as what samples are there, Digidrum is really heavy on the kicks and snares, comprising seventy of the hundred slots. They're all very good and well recorded, though. The T-Drum consists of six different drum kits, the three 70's kits are analog samples and the three 80's kits are digital samples. The numbering on there leads you to believe that there are ten sounds per kit, but there's actually a lot more in there. There's a couple samples in the T-Drum that are in the Digidrum as well, but there's mostly no overlap. It's low on my priority list right now, but I wouldn't mind eventually getting another one of each.

The Doepfer case and the Virtuoso 2000 sold, so I bought another ER-20 rack since I've got eight modules currently with no home (more when the Freak arrives and when if the Motomouth gets funded.) I need to sit down and figure out logistics on how many Z-Rails that I need, but I think I can get by without buying another uZeus right now if I move the System-1m and the Mother 32 (I'm planning on pulling the power out of the case to keep it powered in the rack) into the same rack as the Aira modules and have that rack powered by one uZeus instead of two.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Well - I got the O_c a few nights ago and finally got a chance to dig in a bit. Running the Z8000 into the ASR mode is fun.. splitting the output to the 2600 and the individual VCOs on the Lifeforms.. then having some modulation fun with the other Z8k sequences... wasted all kinds of time on that.

If anyone is interested - I had user 'zz ardoz' on muffs make mine.. highly recommended.
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Guru

pretty cool little cases from Dreadbox..
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Decided to grab some boring, but essential stuff:

Three of these:

This to go with my Generator:

And this to go with my Knit Rider:
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
My brother is decommissioning an oil rig, i asked him if there were any oscilloscopes on the rig and he brought me this home
He said theres some other units he'll bring me home next trip.

Appears to actually be analog? If so, nice catch and addition to the Rigol!

I finally picked up a Just Friends along with some items for my "test rack" as I try to design a few of my own modules.

The following day I was informed I got a monster bonus at work - they haven't given out bonuses in the eight years I've been there. So, I might wind up "having to" get the DLD now. :(
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
in the sepcs:
Quote:
18x sliding nuts per row
c'mon guys.
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Guru

yeah I didn't see that at first, sliding nuts are so stupid, what a terrible idea, I simply wouldn't buy any case with them period..

On the new module and gear front I'm flat broke and haven't had anything new for ages, I'm still paying for the 2k air conditioner we installed last month, my car needs a service and new tyres, gunna be a while before I see any new gear..
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appears to actually be analog? If so, nice catch and addition to the Rigol!

I finally picked up a Just Friends along with some items for my "test rack" as I try to design a few of my own modules.

The following day I was informed I got a monster bonus at work - they haven't given out bonuses in the eight years I've been there. So, I might wind up "having to" get the DLD now. :(
Actually it looks Analog but its Digital from the early 90's came with instruction manual and Probes, its great as its 1 knob per function without all the Menu diving very easy to use just perfect for looking at the modular waves.

I have a handful of just friends PCBs that I've not built yet with the same intention as you, design my own.

I'm tempted to get one of those new RS wave folders, he's been flashing about a full Serge panel this morning i maybe tempted as it will feel like a complete instrument.

Im in saving mode at the moment rather than spending, but that can easily be flipped on its side

Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
my car needs a service and new tyres, gunna be a while before I see any new gear..
Ditch the car get a cheap secondhand push bike and fill another rack
Old 12th March 2017
The Wave Multiplier is a super module, although I haven't tried the Euro version.
Part of the magic of Serge is the banana connectivity and the slightly larger format.
I'm sure the Euro modules are excellent, but I don't think it's going to feel as much like a complete instrument as an actual Serge panel (or two).
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

@chrisso that LA BESTIA II panel looks as if it is 4U.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear
About that Behringer mini. I saw a modulargrid mockup, i'm all cool with euromodular being tiny and stuff but would definitely want minimoog to be little bigger. Real size Moog cutoff knob and such. I mean making it without a keys is already a space saver, seems it's going to be mini minimoog. Or am i over dramatising?
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Actually it looks Analog but its Digital from the early 90's came with instruction manual and Probes, its great as its 1 knob per function without all the Menu diving very easy to use just perfect for looking at the modular waves.

I have a handful of just friends PCBs that I've not built yet with the same intention as you, design my own.

I'm tempted to get one of those new RS wave folders, he's been flashing about a full Serge panel this morning i maybe tempted as it will feel like a complete instrument.

Im in saving mode at the moment rather than spending, but that can easily be flipped on its side

Nice man! I'm probably going to be throwing together some CV mixers, maybe some audio ones, a 5-step sequencer and a precision adder. Need to test some different transformers for the real ring mod too. The ones Ken Stone recommended have a pretty limited bandwidth.

That complete Serge panel looks damn cool. Have you done any of Roman's stuff regarding the Serge stuff? Doesn't he have a full Serge instrument - a 208?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The Wave Multiplier is a super module, although I haven't tried the Euro version.
Part of the magic of Serge is the banana connectivity and the slightly larger format.
I'm sure the Euro modules are excellent, but I don't think it's going to feel as much like a complete instrument as an actual Serge panel (or two).
The Wave Mults is a great module, and crazy easy to build. It's SMD and they do all the SMD for you. All you need to do is throw in some headers to connect the PCBs and then all the UI components.

One of the nice things about the Random*Source stuff is the panels are big enough that there's ample space between knobs, etc. The bad thing about the Random*Source stuff is the panels are big enough that it takes up more hp than it really needs to.

But I think cane was talking about their newest module, the Wave Folder+.
Old 12th March 2017
Quote:

That complete Serge panel looks damn cool. Have you done any of Roman's stuff regarding the Serge stuff? Doesn't he have a full Serge instrument - a 208?
208 is Buchla. Isn't all of Roman's stuff basically Buchla, not Serge?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search