The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
I have a package in my car ... ... this package contains ... ... two Synthrotek DS-M Full Kits ... and ... i'm going skiing over the weekend that inner conflict
I have three Radio Shack bags. All their stores are 30 - 50% off everything in the store. Electronics parts I guess are at 50% off? So I'm picking up all kinds of ICs and transistors just to have different items to play with when breadboarding.

If I were you though, I'd definitely go skiing.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
this looks cool..I'm a sucker for anything drums related in euro..

Looks like that was a custom job. What I found out from the Kraftzwerg is that it really is just one big Euro panel inside of a case. I imagine everything else of his from that era is the same way since he used the same cases in everything. Might be worth scaring up a 522 and pulling it out of the case. You'd have to do some hella modifications to it, though. Notice how there's no inputs or outputs on the panel? If you can find a Schlagzwerg, I could almost guarantee that will fit in the rack since it is the exact same form factor as the Kraftzwerg and has all the same connections.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Mother 32 is waiting for me at home, and I've still got an hour and a half before I'm out of work. Kinda excited to see if it deserves all the hype.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Mother 32 is waiting for me at home, and I've still got an hour and a half before I'm out of work. Kinda excited to see if it deserves all the hype.
how do you buy 3 modules a week?
& I thought you were 'done for a while'?
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
how do you buy 3 modules a week?
& I thought you were 'done for a while'?
i liek teh modlues.

I have like zero impulse control, and I'm one of those people that spends his feelings instead of eating them or acknowledging them. It's been a stressful month, so f**k bills, I'm buying modular.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Moar Modules!
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Wanted one since day one but they took sooooooo long to come to Australia I simply lost interest, now they are in stock a year and half later, the sequencer and patch bay is the most interesting thing about the Mother imo..
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Guru

Big Ups to Flavio at Blue lantern just had a package come in with a free module and some stickers, he sent me a binary switch ribbon cable and screws and a handful of stickers for $0..
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wanted one since day one but they took sooooooo long to come to Australia I simply lost interest, now they are in stock a year and half later, the sequencer and patch bay is the most interesting thing about the Mother imo..
This one was low on my priority list for years. Kinda got burned out on Moog after I had a Slim Phatty and found every reason in the world to sell it.

So initial assessment: It's got a pretty strong oscillator. Simple, but ballsy. For such a limited synth, the patchbay is really well thought out, so it's got a lot more flexibility than it would first appear. (As opposed to the System-1m that appears to be super flexible but is actually kinda limited in the patching department.) With some oscillator to filter FM, it's reminding me of the Micromoog. Giving credit where credit is due, I thought the sequencer was going to be the weakest part of it, but I was dead wrong on that. It's a little on the cryptic side, but I like how it's vaguely 303-ish. Just had a blast sequencing my x0x-heart with it. It's far from perfect, but it's got a lot of handy utilitarian parts for a decent price.
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
This one was low on my priority list for years. Kinda got burned out on Moog after I had a Slim Phatty and found every reason in the world to sell it.

So initial assessment: It's got a pretty strong oscillator. Simple, but ballsy. For such a limited synth, the patchbay is really well thought out, so it's got a lot more flexibility than it would first appear. (As opposed to the System-1m that appears to be super flexible but is actually kinda limited in the patching department.) With some oscillator to filter FM, it's reminding me of the Micromoog. Giving credit where credit is due, I thought the sequencer was going to be the weakest part of it, but I was dead wrong on that. It's a little on the cryptic side, but I like how it's vaguely 303-ish. Just had a blast sequencing my x0x-heart with it. It's far from perfect, but it's got a lot of handy utilitarian parts for a decent price.
Yea the Roland System1 module is pretty limited in patching, but what gets me is people say they like the sound of the system 1 synth it's self, for what ever reason and I've tried many times i just can't say anything good about that synths sound, the plug outs are great, the 100m is seriously cool, but the system1 sound itself is pretty awful to me personally.

Yeah the mother sequencer and patchbay are both huge selling points for me, the entire module could be a master everything in a small to medium system, clock, pitch, MIDI everything...perhaps i'll find it interesting enough to buy one day second hand somewhere..
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea the Roland System1 module is pretty limited in patching, but what gets me is people say they like the sound of the system 1 synth it's self, for what ever reason and I've tried many times i just can't say anything good about that synths sound, the plug outs are great, the 100m is seriously cool, but the system1 sound itself is pretty awful to me personally.
I like the oscillator section of the System 1m. It reminds me of a cleaner version of the JP8080. I imagine I won't use the filter section too much because it's not that exciting, and I've got practically the same filter on the Bitrazer, but it's nice to have more envelopes and a MIDI-syncable LFO. Effects section is a little on the weak side, though. Why they included a bit crusher instead of something more practical like chorus or distortion is beyond me. Maybe one day I'll try the Plug Outs, but it's hard to justify their price.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

I thought you guys were just speculating about the Behringer thing. I didn't know they were actually planning this!
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

since it's gonna be euro, anyone know how wide?
too bad it doesn't have more cv in/out.
400$ for a ladder filter and 3 oscillators (if they're good) is a damn good price.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
since it's gonna be euro, anyone know how wide?
too bad it doesn't have more cv in/out.
400$ for a ladder filter and 3 oscillators (if they're good) is a damn good price.
Looks like whoever updated Modular grid made an educated guess at it. With the way MG is setup, the images scale to whatever HP you have it set at. Since the MIDI inputs are perfectly spherical, I'd venture to say he guessed correctly at 71hp. (YIKES!)
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
71hp. (YIKES!)
odd hp? -insert complaint that all modules should be even hp-. grumble grumble.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Got this going on over at Control Modular for anyone interested:

Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

and I'm excited to find out about this:
Quote:
Erica Synths
Page Liked · 20 hrs
The Polivoks inspired DIY modular system - coming real soon!
I got into eurorack because I wanted a polivoks
and I'm pretty damn happy with the erica varishape VCO 1 & 2, and black filter
erica stuff always sounds really great and the build is superb. I want more of it.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 10th March 2017 at 08:46 PM..
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I thought you guys were just speculating about the Behringer thing. I didn't know they were actually planning this!
Uli said this is what we're thinking for this, so it's by no means anywhere close to finalized. To post it on modulargrid at this point is a bit sill IMO.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone have any experience withe Sputnik 5-Step Voltage Source?

It looks pretty interesting, and may have just replaced my gas for the TipTop Z8000.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
odd hp? -insert complaint that all modules should be even hp-. grumble grumble.
Just put a Pico DSP next to it ...
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

With all the odd HP modules coming out lately, it's hard to get angry when another one comes out. They're so easy to offset these days.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Erica are clever barstewards though, I was considering a Pico and almost instantly started looking for a second module to "even things up".
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Erica are clever barstewards though, I was considering a Pico and almost instantly started looking for a second module to "even things up".
Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Pico DSP and a Pico Logic. What a sucker for upsells.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Anyone have any experience withe Sputnik 5-Step Voltage Source?

It looks pretty interesting, and may have just replaced my gas for the TipTop Z8000.
No idea on the sputnik.. but I got a z8k recently, and it's pretty damn cool.
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Do you use it with a switch or some random?
I like to know how that works out with the z8000..
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

I actually thought it was going to be 84HP in total and I still think that is the case, for some reason the rendering is much narrower, anyways I still think it will be the full 84hp when complete it's meant to be a desktop, rack mountable, euro case able all in one solution Mini Moog clone..the cv control points will come in time as it gets developed.

Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually thought it was going to be 84HP in total and I still think that is the case, for some reason the rendering is much narrower, anyways I still think it will be the full 84hp when complete it's meant to be a desktop, rack mountable, euro case able all in one solution Mini Moog clone..the cv control points will come in time as it gets developed.

Most people buying this can't afford modular, they could design a cv patch panel as an expansion module.
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

I think any extra expense and it starts to lose it's appeal as something very affordable..
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Do you use it with a switch or some random?
I like to know how that works out with the z8000..
I've only had a few nights to play with it.. and I have a BABY system so far. I'm just running clock or clock divisions into it and using a couple of the sequences at the same time... one for v/oct and others for modulation.. it's pretty neat.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
I've only had a few nights to play with it.. and I have a BABY system so far. I'm just running clock or clock divisions into it and using a couple of the sequences at the same time... one for v/oct and others for modulation.. it's pretty neat.
Well, my research has led me to the Malekko Voltage Block now, which I'd ignored before this, mostly due to menu diving/button combos, etc. However, it actually looks much easier to use than I originally thought, and it packs a huge punch from a functionality standpoint.

Conundrums, conundrums...maybe I'll just try making my own. :(

Quote:
I think any extra expense and it starts to lose it's appeal as something very affordable..
They could easily add a number of jacks and a couple of pots and still keep the price at or below 500, if they're targeting this at 400.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search