The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
WMD Performance Mixer
Just get it you won't regret it, especially if you ever make a "live" case. between the Aux sends going to pedals and Octatrack and the cue going to a tuner, it's great toolbox. Not to mention 10 nice clean VCA's. I've recorded plenty of stuff through mine and not noticed anything except actually finding noise in a couple modules I never noticed before (Chronoblob is the main offender). Expensive for sure but totally worth it IMO.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Thanks guys. I was all set to buy one. So what I would like to ask again, that I asked a few months ago. Is how do I go about creating a self generating patch. I remember from before people mentioned getting a clock divider being good. Or can I create something already from what I have using: Disting, Tides Two Drunks/Peaks Turing firmware, Maths and other modulation.

I have been looking through this again but can you give some pointers as where to start with what I have. I just got a BSP as well.
Keeping in mind that I'm in the same situation and have been asking a lot of the same questions myself, my initial assessment is that you've got most everything in place to do some generative work. Out-of-sync LFO's will get you a lot of the way there. You're good in modulation, VCA's, and ways to sculpt your sound sources. As it stands, you've got a great setup for timbres that evolve on their own. As someone mentioned a couple pages back, look into Krell patches.

If your system were mine and I wanted something more generative, I'd be looking into three things: More randomization of signals, randomization of gates, and quantization (for the Omikron in particular.)

The randomization, I'd look into something like a Wogglebug, URA (I'm really smitten with the URA), or even a simple S&H circuit. Quantization is for making the randomness turn into usable pitches. Another thing is that between the Mother and the BSP, you've got lots of gates, but you want those gates to not always fire so that the sequence itself is evolving. I'm a fan of chaining sequencers, so there is that, but something that makes the gates more random would be helpful. Branches is brilliant in this regard because not only can you have a gate not trigger with every pulse, but if it doesn't trigger, you can have it trigger something else instead. Just last night in my Phonogene/URA experiment, I had some pretty snazzy percussion going by making my Circadian Rhythms have random patterns, and then sending a couple of the outputs to Branches with each section going on to different sound sources. It's random, but it's a controlled random.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Just get it you won't regret it, especially if you ever make a "live" case. between the Aux sends going to pedals and Octatrack and the cue going to a tuner, it's great toolbox. Not to mention 10 nice clean VCA's. I've recorded plenty of stuff through mine and not noticed anything except actually finding noise in a couple modules I never noticed before (Chronoblob is the main offender). Expensive for sure but totally worth it IMO.
Yeah, but $750!? If you shop around, that's enough to buy a decent console. Hell, even if you don't shop around, that's enough to pick up a 32x8 and have money left over. I'll just wait it out. Somebody's got to come out with decent mixer in euro that's reasonably priced eventually.
Old 8th March 2017
Dudes...I finally have GAS...

I'm getting one of my old bands back together and I want to incorporate a simple bit of modular into the project. I'm thinking this would be the easiest way, because it needs to be a melodically playable setup. So out of modules I own this-

is the current idea, but it feels a little flat so I am running it by you guys to see what you'd fill one of these things with (Rings is non-negotiable). Current setup includes Octatrack, Virus Snow, moog slim Phatty, Eventide H9, Minifooger Delay, and a Nektar P6. Keep in mind it needs to be something I can play along with other musicians and not really create any chaotic rhythms or too much randomness.

I know I could do this with a fixed-arch synth more easily, don't want to. And I have already decided I prefer the Waldorf over the Monolith which is similar but not as featured. So what would you guys do with 107 HP that is hooked up to a keyboard?
Old 8th March 2017
Quote:
Yeah, but $750!? If you shop around, that's enough to buy a decent console. Hell, even if you don't shop around, that's enough to pick up a 32x8 and have money left over. I'll just wait it out. Somebody's got to come out with decent mixer in euro that's reasonably priced eventually.
Actually if you look at the current offerings it is appropriately priced. Check out Toppobrillo's mixer. Looks great but a lot less features on it proportionate to price. You'd need 3 Circuit Abbey Unifys (VERY high quality sound) to match the connectivity and still have no VCA's. The WMD is very purpose-driven in that it is basically setup to have all the functionality of something like a Mackie 1202 maybe (A very "live" mixer that I happen to love) but then it's crammed into a box 1/4 the size and adds the functionality of voltage control. I'll stop now before someone calls me a fanboi, I don't think it's "the best mixer ever", it just fits my workflow perfectly.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was all set to buy one. So what I would like to ask again, that I asked a few months ago. Is how do I go about creating a self generating patch. I remember from before people mentioned getting a clock divider being good. Or can I create something already from what I have using: Disting 4b mode - clockable LFO, Tides Two Drunks/Peaks Turing firmware, Maths and other modulation.

I have been looking through this again but can you give some pointers as where to start with what I have. I just got a BSP as well.

I was looking at this minimal rack using Moddemix and Maths as well, which I have.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...jpg?1488999702
Read up on the Krell patch as well.

https://vimeo.com/48466272

is a breakdown of it chord by chord. He's using a Buchla system, but you could approach the same using what you have. A big part of it is "random clocking" and patching different modulation values into something like Maths Rise/Fall parameters, then using Ch's 1 and 4 on Maths to control the VCA and/or filter of some voices.

As Slaughtr said, you can use the EOR and EOC outs of Maths for some of the random clocking. Any Turing functionality for the melodies.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was all set to buy one. So what I would like to ask again, that I asked a few months ago. Is how do I go about creating a self generating patch. I remember from before people mentioned getting a clock divider being good. Or can I create something already from what I have using: Disting 4b mode - clockable LFO, Tides Two Drunks/Peaks Turing firmware, Maths and other modulation.
I agree, you have most of the stuff you need for starting generative in your rack. I'd start with the quantized shift register on the Disting and play with that. You've also got a good sample and hold for "catching" a note to create a canon or counter point effect.

If you are looking for justification to buy more stuff, the key components of most of my patching that you might be missing are a "flip-flop" type device like the Doepfer A-150 or Branches, cheap but accessible clock dividers like the Doepfer A-160 series, a precision adder, and a trigger / gate generator (I use Frames in Euclidian mode). I also don't see any mult's in your rack which make it easier to send clocks and voltages all over the play. If you want to get fancy, I'd add an O_C to the list ...
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I always thought that one was quite large (space-wise) for what it does.

As i am on hunt for an audio VCA at the Moment, i would be interested in your reasoning for this particular module. If you dont mind sharing, that is.
I agree. The Waldorf modules do take up quite a bit of rack space, but I've come to the conclusion that I like them that way. I have the NW1, and I never feel cramped when changing parameters. I love my Doepfer, Roland, etc. modules, but once cables are flying everywhere, things can become very cramped. I plan on putting all the Waldorf modules in a Moog 104hp row with a 4ms power supply. Not the cheapest option, but fairly aesthetically pleasing....

I already have a Malekko VCA, so I thought I'd go with something else instead of waiting indefinitely for another one. I've had my eyes on the Waldorf modules since they were announced. I'm a big fan of their stuff that I've had experience with. I was impressed by the initial videos from NAMM or Musikmesse or whatnot. Using the DVCA1, the guy in the video demonstrated how the system could work without the standard LPF. That was pretty interesting. I haven't really seen a lot of videos on it since then. However, I like how you can link the two VCAs in different ways. I'm excited about making some crazy panning sounds. When I compare its specs to the specs of the Malekko VCA, I can see why it's priced higher...not to mention, it's imported. Either way, I imagine I'll get some pretty fun results with this thing.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

I hope harvestman comes out with the Escalation Dominance mixer. that would be perfect for my needs.
Old 8th March 2017

!!!!!!
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I hope harvestman comes out with the Escalation Dominance mixer. that would be perfect for my needs.
Funny, I just stumbled on that one while looking at mixers on MG. Looks awesome, but since it's been untouched since 2014, I don't think we're ever going to see it come to fruition.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

!!!!!!
that sounded great. and canadians to boot!
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dudes...I finally have GAS...

I'm getting one of my old bands back together and I want to incorporate a simple bit of modular into the project. I'm thinking this would be the easiest way, because it needs to be a melodically playable setup. So out of modules I own this-

is the current idea, but it feels a little flat so I am running it by you guys to see what you'd fill one of these things with (Rings is non-negotiable). Current setup includes Octatrack, Virus Snow, moog slim Phatty, Eventide H9, Minifooger Delay, and a Nektar P6. Keep in mind it needs to be something I can play along with other musicians and not really create any chaotic rhythms or too much randomness.

I know I could do this with a fixed-arch synth more easily, don't want to. And I have already decided I prefer the Waldorf over the Monolith which is similar but not as featured. So what would you guys do with 107 HP that is hooked up to a keyboard?
Can you provide MG links? It's hard to tell for sure what you're rocking there.

From what I can tell, the quantizer might be a bit overkill since the Braids has one in it and is your only sound source. Octocontroller would be a pain to sync with a live band, too. I'd ditch those and either add another Braids to thicken things up, or bring some more effects into the mix.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
So guys,
If Behringer (Midas), Allen&Heath, Mackie, Soundcraft or one of these companies that make a lot of cheap mixers made a mixer specifically for eurorack, would that interest you? Reasonable price point, likely limited CV but faders, panning, EQ and sends, maybe FX. It would allow the mixer to be in the case and not off to the side.

Pure speculation on my part (mostly from looking at the feature/costs of the existing mixers in euro). But i'm inclined to think it would be pretty cool, and if they came out would be looking at user experiences pretty hard.

What features would you want?
I think having Behringer involved in eurorack is going to be great, they will probably do stuff similar to Doepfer and Pittsburgh, but the more the merrier, I'm particularly partial to mixers and vca's even effects in euro, the ZDSP and Blue lantern stereo delay are fast becoming super heros in my system of late when messing around..
Old 8th March 2017
Quote:
Can you provide MG links? It's hard to tell for sure what you're rocking there.

From what I can tell, the quantizer might be a bit overkill since the Braids has one in it and is your only sound source. Octocontroller would be a pain to sync with a live band, too. I'd ditch those and either add another Braids to thicken things up, or bring some more effects into the mix.

I need to RTFM a few more times on Braids, I just dial up waveforms lol. But the main sound source in there is actually Rings. I play Rings all day long from my P6 and just crack out on it. The Braids was there as a second source. Sync is also not a prob as it will be master clocked by the Octatrack.

I'll link from comp when I get home.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I think having Behringer involved in eurorack is going to be great, they will probably do stuff similar to Doepfer and Pittsburgh, but the more the merrier, I'm particularly partial to mixers and vca's even effects in euro, the ZDSP and Blue lantern stereo delay are fast becoming super heros in my system of late when messing around..
a good eurorack multieffects would be great. I'm turned off by the zdsp's card system, and the attenuation & boost needed for the erica black hole is also a turn off. I hope more people jump into the ring.

and a low priced minimoog eurorack clone is attractive, gonna hold me off from getting a AJH VCO & VCF (even if I do already have a Voyager).
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Slaughtr's lust for a KB37 got me to thinking what I would stick in one if I had one.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/415977

It's a fun little exercise because it makes ya think about how to squeeze the most from such a tiny amount of space. Like Maths and Braids aren't my favorite modules, but they still win because they cover so much territory.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
a good eurorack multieffects would be great.
Here ya go:

Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

I want better effects than what the Spin FV-1 chip can do.
when is eventide or strymon gonna release something?!
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Slaughtr's lust for a KB37 got me to thinking what I would stick in one if I had one.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/415977

It's a fun little exercise because it makes ya think about how to squeeze the most from such a tiny amount of space. Like Maths and Braids aren't my favorite modules, but they still win because they cover so much territory.
Maths...not...your...favorite...BLASPHEMY! Just kidding, it didn't make it in mine because I wanted more modules and it is just so big. If I was doing one voice only in 107hp no question Maths would be in, but I want 2 and to fully modulate all that I need the Octocontroller, Peaks, and the Quadra. miniSlew and Maths would be in the "mono" for sure though.

Here's that link to mine...off to read the Braids manual...again...
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/415548
So you don't think of Rings as a sound source? If so then you might want to spend some time with it and reference this, courtesy of @canecreek;
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
I want better effects than what the Spin FV-1 chip can do.
when is eventide or strymon gonna release something?!
This was part of why I decided to just use my existing effects (Eventide H9 and Minifooger Delay) with the Aux outs on the WMD mixer. The quality of effects (save perhaps the zdsp) in Euro just isn't there for me yet. The Chronoblob is disappointingly noisy which makes it unusable for anything quiet or pretty, still works for the crazy stuff though...
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
something like a Mackie 1202 maybe (A very "live" mixer that I happen to love)
I've started using a mackie with eurorack, synths and drummachines. sounds way better than I expected. the two send loops (which can be parrallel or in series) and inserts are great.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Read up on the Krell patch as well.

https://vimeo.com/48466272

is a breakdown of it chord by chord. He's using a Buchla system, but you could approach the same using what you have. A big part of it is "random clocking" and patching different modulation values into something like Maths Rise/Fall parameters, then using Ch's 1 and 4 on Maths to control the VCA and/or filter of some voices.

As Slaughtr said, you can use the EOR and EOC outs of Maths for some of the random clocking. Any Turing functionality for the melodies.
^^ This! I started years ago with a Nord Modular and was fascinated by the "noodle" patches so when I started building my real modular I stumbled across the Krell patch at Muffs and designed my system around it. What you described pretty much nailed it. The core of the Krell is a cycling function generator (Maths/Function/Sputnik quad AD/etc) into a VCA. You take two more function generators and use one to modulate the main envelopes rise, the other one modulates the fall time.. The pitch is derived by sending the EOC out to a clocked random voltage generator into an oscillator's 1v/oct input. Each modulator envelope has its own rise/fall modulated by a fluctuating random voltage so your VCA's output is constantly varying. I pull these off with a Sputnik Random Source, a Maths+Function into an Optomix. I use my STO alot for the VCO. Once you've got the core patched in you can use the other Maths/Function outputs along with the unused random voltage options of the Sputnik and any other LFOs/EGs to start taking it to the next level. Its pretty fun stuff.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

I got a new carpet fitted yesterday whilst I was at work, the carpet fitters must of looked in my studio and thought I was spying on the Russians
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I got a new carpet fitted yesterday whilst I was at work, the carpet fitters must of looked in my studio and thought I was spying on the Russians
Same with the air con installer at my place the other week, he just kept looking at my gear and in the end he said I hope that lot won't trip out your circuit with the air con being on the same one.

Old 9th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
This was part of why I decided to just use my existing effects (Eventide H9 and Minifooger Delay) with the Aux outs on the WMD mixer. The quality of effects (save perhaps the zdsp) in Euro just isn't there for me yet. The Chronoblob is disappointingly noisy which makes it unusable for anything quiet or pretty, still works for the crazy stuff though...

I have a Chronoblob. Maybe not 100% quiet, but sure not that noisy. There were some issues with some Chronoblob modules. I have read on MW the noise problem can be fixed. Maybe contact AD?
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
I have a Chronoblob. Maybe not 100% quiet, but sure not that noisy. There were some issues with some Chronoblob modules. I have read on MW the noise problem can be fixed. Maybe contact AD?
if you're into delays try the Blue lantern dual stereo delay, it's like nothing I've ever heard before, really unique sounding, I actually really love this thing a lot, I was trapped making this evolving sequence with it and an oscillator last week and 3 hrs went by without me knowing...so cool..
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Guru

this looks cool..I'm a sucker for anything drums related in euro..

Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
So guys,
If Behringer (Midas), Allen&Heath, Mackie, Soundcraft or one of these companies that make a lot of cheap mixers made a mixer specifically for eurorack, would that interest you? Reasonable price point, likely limited CV but faders, panning, EQ and sends, maybe FX. It would allow the mixer to be in the case and not off to the side.

Pure speculation on my part (mostly from looking at the feature/costs of the existing mixers in euro). But i'm inclined to think it would be pretty cool, and if they came out would be looking at user experiences pretty hard.

What features would you want?
I think it would come down to the price point if it was successful or not. Personally I wouldn't be interested in dedicating HP in the rack to anything that wasn't either controllable or controlling things with CV. Sure it saves you a wall wart and a few 1/8 to 1/4 inch cables but I have to factor in the rack tax and if these's no CV it just doesn't seem worth it.

If at least the fader was CVable, that would make a big difference.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

I have a package in my car ... ... this package contains ... ... two Synthrotek DS-M Full Kits ... and ... i'm going skiing over the weekend that inner conflict
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search