The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th January 2017
  #181
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Yes M3
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #182
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Lo Fi Junky owners...question..?

do you also get that constant droning from the output if the wet signal is turned past 10 oclock..?
I presume you mean with nothing plugged into the input? Hmm not sure, don't think I monitored LFJ yet with nothing in the input. I'll have to check that out later.

What I have noticed is that around 10:00-11:00 on wet/dry things start to get really loud; where do you have the c/lofi control set (could what you're hearing just be the noise floor of the 'lofi' circuit)?
Old 6th January 2017
  #183
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I presume you mean with nothing plugged into the input? Hmm not sure, don't think I monitored LFJ yet with nothing in the input. I'll have to check that out later.

What I have noticed is that around 10:00-11:00 on wet/dry things start to get really loud; where do you have the c/lofi control set (could what you're hearing just be the noise floor of the 'lofi' circuit)?
mine drones on and on with something patched in...as soon as I turn the wet dry to 10 oc clock it starts droning, it's not as loud as earlier, I've got 3 synths going to the one input of LFJ via the 512 filter acting as a 6 way mixer and it's quieter now but with just one input from say my 101 it was quite loud and annoying..
Old 6th January 2017
  #184
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Crappiest and ugliest temporary Blank Panels but also the Cheapest.

Less than £1 for [2 Rows of 168HPs Blank Panelling + Two small blanks of around 14HPs each + few screws]



and



It actually looks better in person. In the photo the reflexes and shades make it look worse

It is just one £1 Sheet of Craft Paper cut into sections. Sadly they run out of stock of the thicker and more rigid £2 paper otherwise it would have looked better/firmer. The Card-Paper is actually screwed into the Rails. The Shiny tape is there just to make the edges a bit harder and make the edges a bit sticky for the screws to bite through... Harder Card-Paper would be even better

Anyway just a quick test, will probably replace with something more rigid when I will stumble over it.
Also, easy to cut a chunk out when a new module has to go in.

I know it's ugly but it's £1!!!

If I wanted to use the cheapest Blank Panels I could see online we are talking about Doepfer 42HP for around £10
need 4 of those for 168HPs, 8 for two rows, that's £80, plus 2 x 14HPs more blanks... (can buy a module for that much). Then when you need get new module you go not use for panels unless you do some DIY of course.

Actually I will be looking into DIY projects soon. Now that the main setup is plugged in and can make sounds I am more willing to look into DIY for additional stuff.
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #185
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I think chord is the next generation I love it.

I've just woke up and my brain can't recall what is a SSM

Steady state modulator, super silky mangler, shuffling space manipulator
WMD's Sequential Switch Matrix - one of the best switches out there. Add the expander for all kinds of trigger/gate madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Mmm silly me, I was pretty sure the screws I needed were M2.5 x6mm so I got a bag of M2.5 screws and a bag of Nylon washer 2.5mm
it was only a few pounds including shipping but looks like the Screws for the Doepfer case need to be maybe M3? 3mm diameter for the thread section?

I am sure I did check the size, so I checked again and the screws I used, that came with the modules do look like 2.5mm to me. Looks like the place where I ordered the bag of screws from sent me 2mm screws men if the bag has 'handwriting' on it saying 2.5mm. Mmmmmm
Doepfer stuff is M3
2
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #186
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I got Just Friends installed last night and wow. The module is a freakin work of art (like literally there is a little nature scene on the back of the PCB). I haven't even touched the audio modes yet. I was using it as a modulation source and it's just amazing. If anyone ever looked at it and got put off by the fluff description, it's basically six linked function generators that are designed to go into audio range and track like VCOs. The brilliant part (like 3 sisters) is the spread knob which controls the variations on rate/pitch of each out. I'd have to kick something out to do it but I'm seriously considering a Mangrove to go with. Whimsical modules are just amazing in their design. So much complexity exposed in such simple controls. Ok sorry I'm done gushing.
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #187
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I think chord is the next generation I love it.

I've just woke up and my brain can't recall what is a SSM

Steady state modulator, super silky mangler, shuffling space manipulator
SSM is the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix.
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #188
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'm trying to load the Dead Man's Catch firmware for Peaks but I can't get the volume level right. I have adjusted the headphone output from my laptop from 65 (lower it doesn't hear) to 100 in 5 point increments but can't get it right. It blinks to say it's listening but doesn't reboot at the end of the sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Use headphones out at around 85, the slightly boost it with a VCA.
I couldn't get Dead Man's Catch to load after several spending hours trying so I thought I'd try to load Warps Parasite. I thought this would be easier as it has a noise level indicator: yellow/green/red. But when I play it flashes once green then red only. I don't get just yellow or green and the LED flashes red indicating the level is too low, but no adjustment changes this. I am using 3.5mm lead with a stereo jack at AI headphone out and stereo to mono jack to Warps level 1 input from my AI and playing the file using Ableton.

Slight update: I'm using my Roland UA-101. If I turn the Carrier amplitude (D) level 1 knob adjusting the volume from high to low it briefly flashes green like it's happy but then returns red again. I have also taken the signal into VCA then modules to see if this suggestion would help. This is quite maddening.

It just goes green then red. Please help.

Even the BBC home computer was easier than this to load!

Play in from ipad - I'll try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8c2CNQ_Dzc


SOLVED!
For anyone else who comes across this. I ended up connecting my smartphone with a mono cable to Warps. I had my smartphone volume at 100% and the Carrier amplitude (D) level 1 knob at 3'0 clock. When you play the file, you then have to tell it to start by pressing the INT. OSC. button. It then seemed to load although I haven't checked it yet.

For Peaks I took the mono cable into a VCA first (Veils) and set the volume also at 3'0 clock. It then loaded as indicated by the LED'S cycling.

Finally! Now to have some Turing machine fun
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #189
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I got Just Friends installed last night and wow. The module is a freakin work of art (like literally there is a little nature scene on the back of the PCB). I haven't even touched the audio modes yet. I was using it as a modulation source and it's just amazing. If anyone ever looked at it and got put off by the fluff description, it's basically six linked function generators that are designed to go into audio range and track like VCOs. The brilliant part (like 3 sisters) is the spread knob which controls the variations on rate/pitch of each out. I'd have to kick something out to do it but I'm seriously considering a Mangrove to go with. Whimsical modules are just amazing in their design. So much complexity exposed in such simple controls. Ok sorry I'm done gushing.
Not sure what else you have from an oscillator standpoint, but I find Mangrove to be pretty unique and has a great sound.
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #190
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I got Just Friends installed last night and wow. The module is a freakin work of art (like literally there is a little nature scene on the back of the PCB). I haven't even touched the audio modes yet. I was using it as a modulation source and it's just amazing. If anyone ever looked at it and got put off by the fluff description, it's basically six linked function generators that are designed to go into audio range and track like VCOs. The brilliant part (like 3 sisters) is the spread knob which controls the variations on rate/pitch of each out. I'd have to kick something out to do it but I'm seriously considering a Mangrove to go with. Whimsical modules are just amazing in their design. So much complexity exposed in such simple controls. Ok sorry I'm done gushing.
You should have a serious look at Cold Mac as well. That is increasingly becoming the secret sauce in my patching-just don't ask me to explain it, because I am still pretty clueless about what it is doing! But I absolutely love patching CV into it and routing the outputs to things like Maths and the Batumi for some real FSU madness.
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #191
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I keep hearing about how good 'Ornaments & crime' is
So im cursing myself why i didn't purchase a PCB when i had the chance
Just went through my drawers and theres an Ornaments & crime PCB
I don't even know what I've got
I just pulled the trigger on one from magpie. Should be lots of fun!
don't have room for it, so I'll have to get a bigger case. oops.
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #192
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Good question. I was wondering, sonically and featurewise, what the differences were. And I was curious why he made an mk2. Was the first somehow deficient?.. Idk, but what I did like on the mk2 is the knobs are farther apart and look like a less cramped and more enjoyable experience.
The mk2 is a little bigger, has an additional summed out, and a summed input for the phase controls (sends to all four oscillators instead of needing a mult to split a signal to all four.) The mk2 also drops linear and exponential FM input though, giving you just one switchable input. Sonically, they're the same module. According to a Muff's post I found from WMD, he basically just changes out the knobs and panel when upgrading from an mkI to an mkII and uses all the same components. I'd get an mk1 and if you just don't like the interface that much, the upgrade is only $50, so still cheaper than getting an mkII.
Old 6th January 2017
  #193
Gear Addict
 
zobbo's Avatar
I have inadvertently* become the owner of a Dave Jones Design O'Tool.

it's hypnotising

Ian

* Yes - inadvertently. I didn't order it. No sir. If I had it was just because I remember how likes hen's teeth they were before. If I had, which I didn't, of course.
6
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #194
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

It's is interesting (to me at least ) how some utility modules can reveal to be quite exciting and cool and not just useful-dry-boring kind of thing.

I like the 1-143-2 more than I thought I would, the "End of Attack (EOA)", "End of Decay (EOD)" and "End of Release (EOR)" digital outputs can be fun

Another utility module I found fun to play with is the Bastl Dynamo, well featured 5HPs with Envelope Follower and useful outputs, comparator, compressor, Voltage Controllable Switch. Used this module with and without some Offset/Attenuator module into VCA CVs.. cool stuff.
2
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #195
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
It's is interesting (to me at least ) how some utility modules can reveal to be quite exciting and cool and not just useful-dry-boring kind of thing.
I agree. I was just looking at a pair of clocking modules (A-160 & A-161.) At first I was wondering what good a module that breaks out eight consecutive triggers would be, but the more I think on it, the more I'm realizing the possibilities of just that one module, not to mention the clock divider.
1
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #196
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
I just tried Qu-Bit Chords with Frames w/ Parasites in euclidean mode; that's another fun combination. I'd record something, but my rack is such a mess right now making room to try these new things out with no access to real filters. I've got at least 104hp of stuff sitting in boxes waiting for my new case to come.
2
Share
Old 6th January 2017
  #197
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Well, didn't want to let this patch go ... Qu-Bit Chords going into Frames w/ Parasite in euclidean mode, then patched into Clouds with freeze modulated with a 160-1. Modulating Chords with a Disting in the poor man's "PEG", clocked envelope mode.

6
Share
Old 7th January 2017
  #198
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
It's is interesting (to me at least ) how some utility modules can reveal to be quite exciting and cool and not just useful-dry-boring kind of thing.

I like the 1-143-2 more than I thought I would, the "End of Attack (EOA)", "End of Decay (EOD)" and "End of Release (EOR)" digital outputs can be fun

Another utility module I found fun to play with is the Bastl Dynamo, well featured 5HPs with Envelope Follower and useful outputs, comparator, compressor, Voltage Controllable Switch. Used this module with and without some Offset/Attenuator module into VCA CVs.. cool stuff.

My A-141-2 just arrived today which is pretty much half (dual) version so pleased to hear this and looking forward to having a play.
1
Share
Old 7th January 2017
  #199
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I like the 1-143-2 more than I thought I would, the "End of Attack (EOA)", "End of Decay (EOD)" and "End of Release (EOR)" digital outputs can be fun
The A-143-2 looks nice. Trying to decide between something like that and the Quadra with expander. If the Deopfer were only 2hp smaller ...
1
Share
Old 7th January 2017
  #200
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Well, didn't want to let this patch go ... Qu-Bit Chords going into Frames w/ Parasite in euclidean mode, then patched into Clouds with freeze modulated with a 160-1. Modulating Chords with a Disting in the poor man's "PEG", clocked envelope mode.

Ooh, that's pretty!
Old 7th January 2017
  #201
Lives for gear
Anyone have experience with magpie's mutable panels? I ordered a couple and the first one I tried (Branches) doesn't fit the retail version of the module I have. Guess I didn't think there would be a difference Nor does their website say anything about this. Are these panels not expected to fit the retail modules? I don't want to take apart another module to try another if that's the case.
Old 7th January 2017
  #202
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The A-143-2 looks nice. Trying to decide between something like that and the Quadra with expander. If the Deopfer were only 2hp smaller ...
Yes at first I was going to get the Quadra + Expander but I had to juggle with which items I was going to buy within a specific budget...

the 1-143-2 I think was no more than half the price of the Quadra+ Expander so price is why I went for the Doepfer. But I was buying quite a few modules all together so something had to be cheaper. Also I started with big cases 168HP wide therefore for me the extra 2HPs of the 1-143-2 over the Quadra+Expander was easier to digest than the extra £200 I would have had to spend to get the Intellijel

I preferred to spend more money on Voices (e.g. Tonestar, Verbos...) and spend less on ADSR... But I never owned a Quadra therefore I cannot compare which one is more useful, also it may depend on your specific needs
Old 7th January 2017
  #203
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I agree. I was just looking at a pair of clocking modules (A-160 & A-161.) At first I was wondering what good a module that breaks out eight consecutive triggers would be, but the more I think on it, the more I'm realizing the possibilities of just that one module, not to mention the clock divider.
You mean in all the hp you've got, you don't have a clock divider? Duuuuuude! Clock dividers are awesome, and can be key to a lot of patches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The A-143-2 looks nice. Trying to decide between something like that and the Quadra with expander. If the Deopfer were only 2hp smaller ...
If you're in the market for an ADSR with EOA, EOD, EOS, etc don't discount the WMD MME with expander. It's just a single, but the envelope options and curve change abilities on it are sick.
1
Share
Old 7th January 2017
  #204
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You mean in all the hp you've got, you don't have a clock divider? Duuuuuude! Clock dividers are awesome, and can be key to a lot of patches!
It's one of those things I keep meaning to get, but then I end up not seeing the point because of all the sequencers I have seeing as how they can be programmed to a clock division of sorts. Even now I've kinda already talked myself out of the Doepfer I was eyeballing.
Old 7th January 2017
  #205
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
So I got my Nebulae in today and was soooooo excited. ...until I actually plugged it in.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, but I'm getting some straaaaaaange behavior from this module. Stuff like it not powering up unless something is connected to the output jack, powering itself off randomly, the front panel locking up, all of the lights going white and staying that way, suddenly becoming unresponsive to knobs and CV, not loading from the USB... just all kinds of weird stuff going on. I've tried reloading the USB stick with just .wavs and moving it to a different case with a different power supply, but I've still got no luck here. Any clues as to what might be causing this?
Old 7th January 2017
  #206
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It's one of those things I keep meaning to get, but then I end up not seeing the point because of all the sequencers I have seeing as how they can be programmed to a clock division of sorts. Even now I've kinda already talked myself out of the Doepfer I was eyeballing.
Clock dividers are fun, and the Deopfers are cheap enough to be an experiment. I have both an A-160-1 and A-160-2 and they're essentially, permanently patchedin my rig.
Old 7th January 2017
  #207
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
If you're in the market for an ADSR with EOA, EOD, EOS, etc don't discount the WMD MME with expander. It's just a single, but the envelope options and curve change abilities on it are sick.
The MME is nice, but I'm so overloaded with OSC's at this point, I need a ton more envelopes ... I'm at the point where I have the Disting on envelope duties and that was before I just added four additional voices with the Chords.

Even with two additional 104hp rows, my build plan is packed.



If I can build up the courage to attempt an Ornament + Crime build, I could probably free up 24hp more, but we'll see.
Old 7th January 2017
  #208
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Well, didn't want to let this patch go ... Qu-Bit Chords going into Frames w/ Parasite in euclidean mode, then patched into Clouds with freeze modulated with a 160-1. Modulating Chords with a Disting in the poor man's "PEG", clocked envelope mode.

Great stuff man!
Old 7th January 2017
  #209
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It's one of those things I keep meaning to get, but then I end up not seeing the point because of all the sequencers I have seeing as how they can be programmed to a clock division of sorts. Even now I've kinda already talked myself out of the Doepfer I was eyeballing.
Well, you can use a clock divider to do all kinds of things that a sequencer couldn't necessarily do, unless you're using the sequencer for straight CV duties.

Mult your sequencer clock into a divider, take the divide by 8 to trigger a switch, s&h or asr to advance, divide by 4 to get some variations to your sequenced melody by enabling a square to be added to the CV out, reset LFOs on a division that control CV input on a filter, blah blah blah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The MME is nice, but I'm so overloaded with OSC's at this point, I need a ton more envelopes ... I'm at the point where I have the Disting on envelope duties and that was before I just added four additional voices with the Chords.

Even with two additional 104hp rows, my build plan is packed.



If I can build up the courage to attempt an Ornament + Crime build, I could probably free up 24hp more, but we'll see.
Yeah, not a good fit if you need a lot of envelopes. Have you considered Just Friends of Bastl CV Trinity?
Old 7th January 2017
  #210
Lives for gear
anyone else having issues with muff's? either can't log in or logs me out anytime I click on something.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump