The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Looking for some feedback on extending my racks, "random" but musical, rhythm generation capabilities. I've already got a few euclidian sources, but I'm looking for something a bit different.

A few that stand out in research are either of the Noise Engineering Repetitor's and maybe the Triggerman. They're all in that 8hp sweet spot and the Noise Engineering devices have the added bonus of modulation inputs. The catch is that I have almost no interest in doing traditional drums / percussion in euro, I'm looking for something to do multi-timbral / voice syncopation, something I love doing with euclidian patterns. On paper, the Zularic Repetitor looks to have the better pattern basis for what I want to do, but Numeric Repetitor seems to have patterns that interest me more. Unfortunately, all the demos are percussion focused, can't really find anything using them in a melodic fashion.

Anyone played with one of the modules mentioned to do something similar to what I'm describing, or have recommendations on something else fill this space?
Trigger Man owner here: It does a lot, but its strong point ultimately is Euclidean rhythms. I love that module to death, but if you've already got Euclidean rhythms covered, then I'd cross that one off your list.

It's much bigger than you're looking at, but Grids is great for pseudo-random gates. Just use the x and y controls to pick out a pattern, turn up the chaos, and patch some CV into the 'fills' controls.
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Erica Synths vs Make Noise Wogglebug.

I expect the Make Noise is capable of a lot just by looking at the extra inputs and Sample/Hold button but by price comparison is over 2x the price. Having looked at the Erica demo it looks good enough to try out some random stuff. Shall I get one? I also saw a Muffs thread mentioning the Doepfer A-149-1 being good. There is the Turing machine in Peaks firmware but the Wogglebug from what I read is capable of a lot more. Interested in trying some random voltage stuff with Braids quantizer.

Update - I just read Tides Parasite Two Drunks is pretty close to the Wogglebug but still the Erica is pretty cheap so might just grab one.

Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-wogglebug.png  
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Check this out, the guys behind Numerology are talking about doing a sequencer module:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-vector
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Anybody else have issues with Perfect Circuit's customer service? I emailed them asking where my EMW drums were because I haven't received a shipping confirmation from them yet and I haven't heard anything back yet. This isn't the first time I've run into these kinds of issues with them, either.
I will go so far as to say I've not had any better customer service from anyone ever, ( barring Uli and my Deepmind ) Perfect circuit are super hero's when it comes to customer service, I can order a module today and it will be in my hands in 3 days many times, with free candy and free cables and stickers and lots of communication post sale, I've made friends with a couple of people there just being a customer..great experience for me.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post

I expect the Make Noise is capable of a lot just by looking at the extra inputs but by price comparison is over 2x the price. Having looked at the Erica demo it looks good enough to try out some random stuff. Shall I get one? I also saw a Muffs thread mentioning the Doepfer A-149-1 being good.
IMHO, the Wogglebug has been a bit of a let down for me. I bought it early on, not really knowing what I was doing. I still try to incorporate it into my patches from time to time, but it'll probably be the next thing to move from the performance case into the overflow rack. If it were a decisions based on HP, I'd take a good S/H over a Wogglebug any day. There's a lot more to a S/H than spewing random voltages.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Looking for some feedback on extending my racks, "random" but musical, rhythm generation capabilities. I've already got a few euclidian sources, but I'm looking for something a bit different.

A few that stand out in research are either of the Noise Engineering Repetitor's and maybe the Triggerman. They're all in that 8hp sweet spot and the Noise Engineering devices have the added bonus of modulation inputs. The catch is that I have almost no interest in doing traditional drums / percussion in euro, I'm looking for something to do multi-timbral / voice syncopation, something I love doing with euclidian patterns. On paper, the Zularic Repetitor looks to have the better pattern basis for what I want to do, but Numeric Repetitor seems to have patterns that interest me more. Unfortunately, all the demos are percussion focused, can't really find anything using them in a melodic fashion.

Anyone played with one of the modules mentioned to do something similar to what I'm describing, or have recommendations on something else fill this space?
I've got a numeric repetitor. It's really just modulate-able euclidean gates so I don't have much else to add. Noise Engineering had a demo on their instagram with their new Cursus module, but that did come off sounding like drums.

The Noise Rand has a few choices of random gates, and ladik has a random gates module also in 4HP. If you DIY, an NLC flip flop chaos will give you chaotic gates.

If you have enough stuff generating gates, add logic modules.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

since I missed the last good sale day (president's day).. anyone know when the next batch will be? ..or anyone have any good discount codes?

I have a bunch of stuff I need to order - and ctrl-mod has all of it.. but I missed the 10% off deal a few weeks back.

I have one for Unique Squared, but they don't have a lot of what I need.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
since I missed the last good sale day (president's day).. anyone know when the next batch will be? ..or anyone have any good discount codes?

I have a bunch of stuff I need to order - and ctrl-mod has all of it.. but I missed the 10% off deal a few weeks back.

I have one for Unique Squared, but they don't have a lot of what I need.
Last notification I received from Perfect Circuit was for the discount on EMW modules. They're also doing fifty bucks off Entity, but that's about it.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Triggerman has 8 outs, so double the Noise Engineering modules. Depends on how many voices you want controlled, or how you're controlling each as well as how many envelopes you have

It's a bit menu-divey, but is hella functional.

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if their company grew too fast and they're not able to keep up because of it. They started out just hocking overpriced vintage synths on eBay, and now they have a webstore, a physical store, and like three people working there. As much business as they get, I can't imagine they've got enough people to handle it all.

They finally responded via chat. Only took two hours!
That could very well be the case. I know fiddle loves them, but I've had scenarios where he's ordered something and received it down under before mine was shipped when I ordered at the same time. I don't view it as a big deal - it's not like they're shipping a week or two after, just a minor annoyance.

Quote:

I expect the Make Noise is capable of a lot just by looking at the extra inputs and Sample/Hold button but by price comparison is over 2x the price. Having looked at the Erica demo it looks good enough to try out some random stuff. Shall I get one? I also saw a Muffs thread mentioning the Doepfer A-149-1 being good. There is the Turing machine in Peaks firmware but the Wogglebug from what I read is capable of a lot more. Interested in trying some random voltage stuff with Braids quantizer.

Update - I just read Tides Parasite Two Drunks is pretty close to the Wogglebug but still the Erica is pretty cheap so might just grab one.

Are you sure you really want a wogglebug? I've watched so many videos and still really don't get it. It seems like it's just random outs with slew possibilities to me. I believe the MN also has some Ring Mod, right? But you might be able to accomplish much of the Wogglebug functionality with merely a multiple output noise and the Doepfer dual S & H into your Maths.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

I got the Phonogene and the Ultra Random Analog in today. ...I'm starting to see how the URA can be integral to generative sequences. I sampled an answering machine message into the Phonogene from the Radio Music and have just been listening to it spit out all kinds of random timbres just from the Phonogene going into the Z-DSP and into Verbtronic. This is a very powerful module here!
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
I've got a numeric repetitor. It's really just modulate-able euclidean gates so I don't have much else to add. Noise Engineering had a demo on their instagram with their new Cursus module, but that did come off sounding like drums.

The Noise Rand has a few choices of random gates, and ladik has a random gates module also in 4HP. If you DIY, an NLC flip flop chaos will give you chaotic gates.

If you have enough stuff generating gates, add logic modules.
I'm set with a flip flop, I've got Doepfer A-150. I also just picked up a Pico Logic and am finding I don't have anything to run the euclidean against save the clock divider, pretty boring, thus the ask on more complex random generators.
Old 8th March 2017
Quote:
Anybody else have issues with Perfect Circuit's customer service? I emailed them asking where my EMW drums were because I haven't received a shipping confirmation from them yet and I haven't heard anything back yet. This isn't the first time I've run into these kinds of issues with them, either.
After my last two orders from them I go to Detroit Modular first and if they dont carry what I want I just drive to Noisebug's store which is about 15 minutes from my house and eat the sales tax out of convenience. The first two orders from PC were perfect. Theyre about 30 minutes from me and I literally got the orders two days after ordering. The next one took a few days before it shipped. I planned the order so it would show up on my day off so I could sign for it, and it took longer for them to ship than usual, so of course it showed up while I was at work and I had to wait another three days until I was off and could go to the post office to sign for it. The last order I placed at the beginning of February took over a week before they shipped it and same deal, planned it so it would show up on my day off and I sat at home both days and nothing. After that just emailed customer service and had them change the address to my work as theres always someone there to sign. It DID show up at work eventually, but they never even updated the order online and the entire time it said it was being shipped to my house, which was kind of worrying as it was an expensive order. The last one also seemed like they didn't care. I usually get a bunch of stickers and candy too, this one not even a single piece of either.

Quote:

If youre considering the A-149-1, Id suggest saving a bit more and just go for the Sputnik West Coast Random Source. The A-149 is only two sections of the Buchla Source of Uncertainty. The Sputnik is just about the real deal. Its well worth the hp and the price. I use it on every patch I make almost as much as Maths. I think Vintage King sells it a little cheaper than most places do too.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
After my last two orders from them I go to Detroit Modular first and if they dont carry what I want I just drive to Noisebug's store which is about 15 minutes from my house and eat the sales tax out of convenience. The first two orders from PC were perfect. Theyre about 30 minutes from me and I literally got the orders two days after ordering. The next one took a few days before it shipped. I planned the order so it would show up on my day off so I could sign for it, and it took longer for them to ship than usual, so of course it showed up while I was at work and I had to wait another three days until I was off and could go to the post office to sign for it. The last order I placed at the beginning of February took over a week before they shipped it and same deal, planned it so it would show up on my day off and I sat at home both days and nothing. After that just emailed customer service and had them change the address to my work as theres always someone there to sign. It DID show up at work eventually, but they never even updated the order online and the entire time it said it was being shipped to my house, which was kind of worrying as it was an expensive order. The last one also seemed like they didn't care. I usually get a bunch of stickers and candy too, this one not even a single piece of either.
Regarding Perfect Circuit, my perspective is that they're starting to outgrow both their staffing and their e-commerce software. Speaking from experience in this area, I'd give them a break on automated notification break downs for the time being. I help run a VERY large e-com site as part of my day job and notification and order status system reliability is a problem even with the big players out there. If you need an update or order change, I'd recommend calling them instead since it seems like they're still fulfilling out of the store front.
Old 8th March 2017
They were recently hiring for both sales and customer service spots. They should've hired me for CS hah. I guess I applied too late though and someone else beat me to the job.
Old 8th March 2017
Quote:
.....mentioning the Doepfer A-149-1 being good.
yes it is. I regret selling mine.

Quote:
Check this out, the guys behind Numerology are talking about doing a sequencer module:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-vector
yeah cool huh? btw love my Phonogene. I'm having it updated at Schneiders shop soon.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I will go so far as to say I've not had any better customer service from anyone ever, ( barring Uli and my Deepmind ) Perfect circuit are super hero's when it comes to customer service, I can order a module today and it will be in my hands in 3 days many times, with free candy and free cables and stickers and lots of communication post sale, I've made friends with a couple of people there just being a customer..great experience for me.
I have a love/hate relationship with Perfect Circuit. They have a lot of great sales and customer service is always friendly, etc. However, sometimes I think shipping is quicker to Australia than it is to Oklahoma.

Another thing that bothers me is how they reopen preorders during their sales for items that have been on backorder for months. For example, I ordered the Malekko VCA during the first week of September. As of now, you can't order a Malekko VCA from them. It says 'Notify Me'. During sales it will change and say 'Pre-Order'. They could never give me an ETA. It was just unknown info, but they were more than happy to continue accepting preorders. I finally cancelled the order this week and ordered the Waldorf VCA. Now that module is on backorder as well, but it wasn't when I placed the order.... Hopefully I snagged it in time.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticFlyer View Post
ordered the Waldorf VCA
I always thought that one was quite large (space-wise) for what it does.

As i am on hunt for an audio VCA at the Moment, i would be interested in your reasoning for this particular module. If you dont mind sharing, that is.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Quote:
Regarding Perfect Circuit, my perspective is that they're starting to outgrow both their staffing and their e-commerce software. Speaking from experience in this area, I'd give them a break on automated notification break downs for the time being. I help run a VERY large e-com site as part of my day job and notification and order status system reliability is a problem even with the big players out there. If you need an update or order change, I'd recommend calling them instead since it seems like they're still fulfilling out of the store front.
So here's what I found out. I ordered the EMW modules on the 27th. The eCheck cleared on the 2nd. They still haven't shipped it. The lady in the chat box said they'd get it out today, but we'll see...
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I always thought that one was quite large (space-wise) for what it does.

As i am on hunt for an audio VCA at the Moment, i would be interested in your reasoning for this particular module. If you dont mind sharing, that is.
If you're not looking for a quad, something that appears to be in the same ballpark, with even more functionality is the WMD multimode VCA. If you're just looking for sound VCAs, the Intellijell uVCA 2 or new quad VCA may do the trick?
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

In general I think I prefer dealing with Detroit Modular, they've been reliable, their stuff gets here faster. When you order a set of Z-Ears and Z-Rails from them, they think to do something that Perfect Circuit doesn't: Assume you're going to use them together and throw in screws. To me, this is much more thoughtful than magnets and stickers.

If I have to buy from Perfect Circuit, I'll usually do it through eBay if there isn't a sale going on. At least the eBay thing keeps them accountable.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

No matter the dealer, I always end up having problems with "out of stock / back order" products. I just avoid buying anything that isn't in stock unless I have a relationship with the salesman whom I can contact indiscriminately and cancel on a whim.
Many eurorack builders are small businesses - I can't reasonably expect them to always meet shipping deadlines, and thus can't always trust backorder dates. no one should, it'll save you a lot of worry.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I'm set with a flip flop, I've got Doepfer A-150. I also just picked up a Pico Logic and am finding I don't have anything to run the euclidean against save the clock divider, pretty boring, thus the ask on more complex random generators.
Check out Mutable branches too. If your sending to multiple locations, might be great. Sometimes I wish I had two.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I have to buy from Perfect Circuit, I'll usually do it through eBay if there isn't a sale going on. At least the eBay thing keeps them accountable.
That's my rationale a lot of the time too lately. It just depends on where I can get the better deal. Yesterday I was going to buy a bunch of the Expert Sleepers floating ring cables from their site because I had a discount code, but they were going to charge $16 to ship from L.A. to Phoenix...sacrificed the discount code and bought them from PCA on eBay instead, because there was free shipping and eBay forces them to abide by a set delivery date.

I do most of my gear shopping with PCA these days simply because of price and selection, and sometimes they actually ship to me in a timely manner...but most of the time I can order from anywhere else in the country and have it quicker than it will come from Perfect Circuit, despite them only being a 6 hour drive from me. It takes them donkey's years to put something in a box and slap a shipping label on it.

That said, I have found their online chat to be really responsive and helpful, taking an interest in my system and offering insight. Overall, I give them a B+/A-. I've heard they are a nightmare to deal with for returns tho, so if I ever need to return something to them I'm expecting that rating will drop.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Check out Mutable branches too. If your sending to multiple locations, might be great. Sometimes I wish I had two.
Branches is awesome...as I was driving to work today, I also started thinking about the possibilities of having two of them.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac
So guys,
If Behringer (Midas), Allen&Heath, Mackie, Soundcraft or one of these companies that make a lot of cheap mixers made a mixer specifically for eurorack, would that interest you? Reasonable price point, likely limited CV but faders, panning, EQ and sends, maybe FX. It would allow the mixer to be in the case and not off to the side.

Pure speculation on my part (mostly from looking at the feature/costs of the existing mixers in euro). But i'm inclined to think it would be pretty cool, and if they came out would be looking at user experiences pretty hard.

What features would you want?
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I've heard they are a nightmare to deal with for returns tho, so if I ever need to return something to them I'm expecting that rating will drop.
Haha, let me tell you a story! I bought a Peaks from them. I meant to buy a demo model from them, but got a new one instead. I figured okay, this is easy enough to sort out, so I just bought the demo model, sent a cancellation request through eBay, and then messaged them through eBay and email letting them know I goofed and to cancel that sale. Like less three minutes total for the whole experience. ...they didn't respond until they both had already arrived. They didn't bother to refund until a three days after they'd received it. Thank god it was through eBay. I could imagine how much worse that could have been if I'd bought it direct.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So guys,
If Behringer (Midas), Allen&Heath, Mackie, Soundcraft or one of these companies that make a lot of cheap mixers made a mixer specifically for eurorack, would that interest you? Reasonable price point, likely limited CV but faders, panning, EQ and sends, maybe FX. It would allow the mixer to be in the case and not off to the side.

Pure speculation on my part (mostly from looking at the feature/costs of the existing mixers in euro). But i'm inclined to think it would be pretty cool, and if they came out would be looking at user experiences pretty hard.

What features would you want?
Funny, I was just thinking about this myself today. I like my Blue Lantern BMX for the convenience, but it does something bad to the sound. If you run a sound direct, it will sound very different to running it through the BMX, no matter the gain setting. It's like Behringer-level cloudy. Because of this, it's tempting to get a WMD Performance Mixer, but man, it's hard to justify $750 for an eight-channel mixer module when I've got a perfectly good VS2480 with sixteen inputs sitting right on top of my rack and with a patchbay leading to it mounted in the same case as the modular. My main reason for not going that route is that my little patch noodles would change entirely because muting on the VS2480 is a little more complicated than flipping a switch on the BMX, and I'd have to stand to get to the VS2480 whereas I can access my Eurorack from a seated position.

If I could design my dream Euro Mixer, it would be eight mono channels, expandable to sixteen, have CV control over pan and level, per channel EQ (something basic like Mackie would do), and have four stereo sends and returns that can also work in mono.

If I could design a Euro Mixer that's more realistic and wouldn't cost a fortune, it would be the BMX, but not sound so ****ty.

Last edited by Derp; 8th March 2017 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: gramrar
Old 8th March 2017
I can highly recommend control voltage. I go in there about once a month and they are great guys, very helpful and knowledgeable. I rarely go anywhere else.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMHO, the Wogglebug has been a bit of a let down for me. I bought it early on, not really knowing what I was doing. I still try to incorporate it into my patches from time to time, but it'll probably be the next thing to move from the performance case into the overflow rack. If it were a decisions based on HP, I'd take a good S/H over a Wogglebug any day. There's a lot more to a S/H than spewing random voltages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Are you sure you really want a wogglebug? I've watched so many videos and still really don't get it. It seems like it's just random outs with slew possibilities to me. I believe the MN also has some Ring Mod, right? But you might be able to accomplish much of the Wogglebug functionality with merely a multiple output noise and the Doepfer dual S & H into your Maths.
Thanks guys. I was all set to buy one. So what I would like to ask again, that I asked a few months ago. Is how do I go about creating a self generating patch. I remember from before people mentioned getting a clock divider being good. Or can I create something already from what I have using: Disting 4b mode - clockable LFO, Tides Two Drunks/Peaks Turing firmware, Maths and other modulation.

I have been looking through this again but can you give some pointers as where to start with what I have. I just got a BSP as well.

I was looking at this minimal rack using Moddemix and Maths as well, which I have.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...jpg?1488999702
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-mymodular.jpg  
Old 8th March 2017
Quote:
how do I go about creating a self generating patch. I remember from before people mentioned getting a clock divider being good. Or can I create something already from what I have using: Disting, Tides Two Drunks/Peaks Turing firmware, Maths and other modulation.
Easy with your setup. Start by clocking things with things that aren't clocks (Maths is a good place to start) to make random rhythms and trigger/reset your sequencers, then hook up Peaks turing to a quantizer (doesn't Disting have one?) to make random melodies. Modulate and VCA to taste.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search