The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th March 2017
  #2011
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Alright ladies and gents. I've suddenly got a hankering for ring modulation. I guess I'm on a waveshaping/folding and ring modding kick now.

What's everyone got and what's your favorites?

I had one on my to get list a while back, but decided as I got deeper into DIY that I might try creating my own since there are plenty of schematics out there, (I'm not smart enough yet to actually design something myself) they can be passive and it's a pretty simple circuit. Anyway, I finally got the pieces to breadboard things, including a RM and had a blast messing around with Ken Stone's Real Ring Modulator circuit, just a square out of the AJH Minimod and Mannequins Mangrove. You can get so many damn timbres with a ring mod just by messing w/ pitch, amplitude and then throw in some FM, PWM, etc. The Mangrove is really fun to use in Ring Mod because you can go from Saw to Triangle to Ramp, but also the format capabilities really bring a lot of possibilities. This in combination with a good waveshaper/folder or two has me wondering why I even have four actual oscillators at my Euro disposal.
Old 6th March 2017
  #2012
Gear Maniac
 
loopback's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Vermona QMI2 has performed solidly for me in every situation so far. I use it to control my modular with the Octatrack and DAW with identical results. I've considered getting a 2nd one. Lots of outputs and programmability but it's dead simple to use. After the first time no manual required. Can't say enough good things about this one, worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Yarns, MIDI to CV and so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Plus one to this. Yarns is very flexible and can do just about anything you need it to. ...except MIDI thru.
Thx for your Feedback guys ... Yarns it is ... just ordered it. Since i have only 15HP free (10 of them coming from the A190) i simply can't fit the vermona in my rack. And given that they both cost the same i think that yarns offers way more functionality.
2
Share
Old 6th March 2017
  #2013
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Ya I've got a Yarns it's good, only tested mine so far haven't used it on any tracks, it works fine.

the Arturia Keystep takes care of a lot of my euro controlling/clock/sequencing/MIDI/ MIDI to CV etc etc but Yarns will have it's place, still thinking to get one of the master MIDI sync devices, they are so so cool..
Old 6th March 2017
  #2014
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the Random*Source Serge Wave Multipliers. This thing can really screw up a standard sin/triangle wave, and in a fantastic way - especially when self-patching. It's a kit, but it's damn easy. They do all the SMD/SMT - all you need to do is solder some headers, power header, two trimmers and the pots/jacks/switches. I had been somewhat gassing for the newest edition of the Livewire AFG, but it looks like a standard oscillator through this can get much of the same FUBAR wave shapes and CV control. Plus the new AFGs are completely manufactured like Dung according to a thread over at Muffs - SMD with 8 or nine through hole resistors soldered onto the SMD solder points here and there.

They also just released a triple waveshifter that looks interesting.
The new triple waveshaper looks interesting, I'm still waiting for them to release the NTO.
Old 6th March 2017
  #2015
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Alright ladies and gents. I've suddenly got a hankering for ring modulation. I guess I'm on a waveshaping/folding and ring modding kick now.

What's everyone got and what's your favorites?
For ring mod, I've got a Hax, and a Warps. Hax is fun, but with that one, it only ring mods against the internal waveform, so no flexibility there in that regard. Warps is simple, but a whole lot of fun. Parasites on this module turns it into an angry beast.

I still need to get some waveshaping modules. The only ones I have are an A-136 and a cvWS, but they're both very subtle.
1
Share
Old 6th March 2017
  #2016
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Sonic potions MAL-2 looks a simple DIY build for somebody after a bit of Random.
2
Share
Old 6th March 2017
  #2017
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Thought this was kind of interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rphing-formant



The demos make it sound pretty exciting.
1
Share
Old 6th March 2017
  #2018
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Sonic potions MAL-2 looks a simple DIY build for somebody after a bit of Random.
A module with a Discordian influence? I think I'm gonna have to build this one
Old 6th March 2017
  #2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
Thx for your Feedback guys ... Yarns it is ... just ordered it. Since i have only 15HP free (10 of them coming from the A190) i simply can't fit the vermona in my rack. And given that they both cost the same i think that yarns offers way more functionality.
Yeah the Vermona is big. I was all about Yarns (love MI modules in general) but the Vermona was the right one for me. The main reason was my system was already too big to be fully controlled the way I wanted with Yarns. Yarns only has the 8 outs, the Vermona has 16 and 3 dedicated clocks. Rather than needing to program Yarns differently for each patch I can pretty much leave my modules plugged into the QMI in a static setup that matches my Octatrack project template perfectly. The way I have it set up now I can P-lock all kinds of weird stuff on my modular with the CV outs, which is quite an amalgamation of 2 totally different worlds. 2 QMI's hooked up to the Octatrack would be enough to control a huge system.

Also, I am really not much for menu-based modules that require referencing the manual constantly, and Yarns would be one of those for me (stoner memory). The QMI uses a 16 position dial and 2 buttons for all of the "programming" (changing clock divisions primarily), which can easily be done on the fly and becomes part of the "live" aspect. I definitely don't think one is better than the other strictly speaking, 2 different animals really, both great for distinct reasons.
3
Share
Old 6th March 2017
  #2020
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Sonic potions MAL-2 looks a simple DIY build for somebody after a bit of Random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
A module with a Discordian influence? I think I'm gonna have to build this one
Their kits are great as well. Very detailed build instructions with pictures on where to put the items and non cramped boards - which makes it very easy for those looking to get into DIY.
Old 6th March 2017
  #2021
Gear Nut
 

Any opinion on new Maths vs. old Maths? I found a pre-2013 model for sale semi locally for a great price, and was wondering what I'd be missing out on if I went with it instead of a new one. Have never used either. From comparing the manuals, it seems that the main difference is panel layout and graphics, with the new version definitely much clearer, but I feel like I can learn to use the old layout, if it means saving some $.
Old 6th March 2017
  #2022
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAndImprov View Post
Any opinion on new Maths vs. old Maths? I found a pre-2013 model for sale semi locally for a great price, and was wondering what I'd be missing out on if I went with it instead of a new one. Have never used either. From comparing the manuals, it seems that the main difference is panel layout and graphics, with the new version definitely much clearer, but I feel like I can learn to use the old layout, if it means saving some $.
Looking at the panels (I have the newer one), it looks like there might be one or two features missing from the old one. For one, I'm not seeing CV input to turn the cycle on/off. Also, there's no inverted output.


Old 6th March 2017
  #2023
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thought this was kind of interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rphing-formant



The demos make it sound pretty exciting.
Sounds cool. I don't think you could anything that varied out of Braids - but now I have to try I just wonder if you'd use anything like that in a track. A little touch of vowel is nice but I don't think I'd use an extreme one or maybe I would mmm...
Old 6th March 2017
  #2024
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
I just got a BSP for a good price including 14 cables which are about £30 alone. Comes Friday Now I'm cooking!
2
Share
Old 7th March 2017
  #2025
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Looking at the panels (I have the newer one), it looks like there might be one or two features missing from the old one. For one, I'm not seeing CV input to turn the cycle on/off. Also, there's no inverted output.
Aha! I'd noticed the lack on the inverted output, but missed the Cycle jack. From reading the manual, and I might be mis-interpreting this, it seems like it turns Cycling on when a + signal is at the jack, so you could, for example, use it with a gate. Is this a feature you use often and would miss?
Old 7th March 2017
  #2026
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAndImprov View Post
Aha! I'd noticed the lack on the inverted output, but missed the Cycle jack. From reading the manual, and I might be mis-interpreting this, it seems like it turns Cycling on when a + signal is at the jack, so you could, for example, use it with a gate. Is this a feature you use often and would miss?
Here's a full list of the differences:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...9b17082f3db325

Looking over that list, I think I'd be more apt to wait and save for a new one. This is of course, dependent on how good of a deal you can get on the old one. (I absolutely love the LED for end of rise/end of cycle and could see the Unity Signal out being a big benefit as well. Also, ch 2 on the new version offers +-10 offset vs +-5 on the old. So you can choose +-10 on ch 2 or +-5 on ch 3 on the new version. The old one is just +-5.

But that page explains all the differences and has a video as well. Hopefully that will help you make your decision.
1
Share
Old 7th March 2017
  #2027
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Looking at the panels (I have the newer one), it looks like there might be one or two features missing from the old one. For one, I'm not seeing CV input to turn the cycle on/off. Also, there's no inverted output.
I have two of these MKI's, and it's true that you cannot switch off/on cycle mode with cv. Also, there isn't an inverted out, but you can easily create one patching an output back into channel 2 or 3.
Old 7th March 2017
  #2028
Gear Maniac
 
loopback's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah the Vermona is big. I was all about Yarns (love MI modules in general) but the Vermona was the right one for me. The main reason was my system was already too big to be fully controlled the way I wanted with Yarns. Yarns only has the 8 outs, the Vermona has 16 and 3 dedicated clocks. Rather than needing to program Yarns differently for each patch I can pretty much leave my modules plugged into the QMI in a static setup that matches my Octatrack project template perfectly. The way I have it set up now I can P-lock all kinds of weird stuff on my modular with the CV outs, which is quite an amalgamation of 2 totally different worlds. 2 QMI's hooked up to the Octatrack would be enough to control a huge system.

Also, I am really not much for menu-based modules that require referencing the manual constantly, and Yarns would be one of those for me (stoner memory). The QMI uses a 16 position dial and 2 buttons for all of the "programming" (changing clock divisions primarily), which can easily be done on the fly and becomes part of the "live" aspect. I definitely don't think one is better than the other strictly speaking, 2 different animals really, both great for distinct reasons.
Ya, i know. I'm not a big fan of menu diving either but then i bought braids so ... exceptions were already made maybe in the future when i really build the 18U 168Hp case i planned and calculated. Then i'll have enough space
2
Share
Old 7th March 2017
  #2029
I had a MK1 Maths (before I changed it for a smaller Function) and it was a darn good module.
If it was a good deal I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
There is so much you can do with it, besides the missing features.
It's easy to switch off the cycling with the push button - for example.
1
Share
Old 7th March 2017
  #2030
Gear Addict
 
Endorfinity's Avatar
It's easy to _patch_ voltage controlled cycle on/off. Cause guys, you know.. it's modular.

Patch MATHS' EOR/EOC into bog standart VCA in1, VCA out to MATHS' trigger in, and use anything patched into VCA in2 to open and close it, voila.

I don't have MATHS btw.
Old 7th March 2017
  #2031
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAndImprov View Post
Aha! I'd noticed the lack on the inverted output, but missed the Cycle jack. From reading the manual, and I might be mis-interpreting this, it seems like it turns Cycling on when a + signal is at the jack, so you could, for example, use it with a gate. Is this a feature you use often and would miss?
I don't think I'd miss it too much. It's something that I use, but not heavily.
Old 7th March 2017
  #2032
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thought this was kind of interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rphing-formant



The demos make it sound pretty exciting.
I just backed it. I've already got the Grendel filter, but this one just sounds a lot more aggressive to my ears. Here's hoping they reach their goal!
Old 7th March 2017
  #2033
Lives for gear
 

Can the Expert Sleepers Floating Ring cables be used for regular 3.5mm to 1/4" connections as well? I've got one of the interfaces on Expert Sleepers list of tested DC-coupled interfaces (the Alesis iO26), and since it's just sitting around collecting dust it seems prudent to test it out to get some Reaktor 6 fun happening with my modular, instead of splashing out for something like the ES-3 or ES-8. But...if for some reason it doesn't work as expected, I'd like to be able to still use those cables for something.
Old 7th March 2017
  #2034
Gear Addict
 
Blackdog128's Avatar
I've been googling "airtennuator" and basically all i'm getting back is "did you mean 'attenuator'?" (no) Am i spelling it wrong? (geez )

What company makes (or sells) airtennuators?

Thanks!
Old 7th March 2017
  #2035
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Anybody else have issues with Perfect Circuit's customer service? I emailed them asking where my EMW drums were because I haven't received a shipping confirmation from them yet and I haven't heard anything back yet. This isn't the first time I've run into these kinds of issues with them, either.
Old 7th March 2017
  #2036
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog128 View Post
I've been googling "airtennuator" and basically all i'm getting back is "did you mean 'attenuator'?" (no) Am i spelling it wrong? (geez )

What company makes (or sells) airtennuators?

Thanks!
I had the same problem last week
here:
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ryo-airtenuator/

RYO makes em
Old 7th March 2017
  #2037
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog128 View Post
I've been googling "airtennuator" and basically all i'm getting back is "did you mean 'attenuator'?" (no) Am i spelling it wrong? (geez )

What company makes (or sells) airtennuators?

Thanks!
It's RYO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Anybody else have issues with Perfect Circuit's customer service? I emailed them asking where my EMW drums were because I haven't received a shipping confirmation from them yet and I haven't heard anything back yet. This isn't the first time I've run into these kinds of issues with them, either.
I've never had issues with them in general, but in comparison to some of the other modular companies I've dealt with, they are the most inconsistent in when they actually send out the items. I think I've had scenarios where it's been a couple days after the order.
Old 7th March 2017
  #2038
Gear Addict
 
Blackdog128's Avatar
Thanks, Sr. Banana (& Mr. Un-Dead)! That's great info (only one "n" apparently)

Will track some down ...
Old 7th March 2017
  #2039
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Random Rhythm Generators

Looking for some feedback on extending my racks, "random" but musical, rhythm generation capabilities. I've already got a few euclidian sources, but I'm looking for something a bit different.

A few that stand out in research are either of the Noise Engineering Repetitor's and maybe the Triggerman. They're all in that 8hp sweet spot and the Noise Engineering devices have the added bonus of modulation inputs. The catch is that I have almost no interest in doing traditional drums / percussion in euro, I'm looking for something to do multi-timbral / voice syncopation, something I love doing with euclidian patterns. On paper, the Zularic Repetitor looks to have the better pattern basis for what I want to do, but Numeric Repetitor seems to have patterns that interest me more. Unfortunately, all the demos are percussion focused, can't really find anything using them in a melodic fashion.

Anyone played with one of the modules mentioned to do something similar to what I'm describing, or have recommendations on something else fill this space?
Old 7th March 2017
  #2040
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I've never had issues with them in general, but in comparison to some of the other modular companies I've dealt with, they are the most inconsistent in when they actually send out the items. I think I've had scenarios where it's been a couple days after the order.
Sometimes I wonder if their company grew too fast and they're not able to keep up because of it. They started out just hocking overpriced vintage synths on eBay, and now they have a webstore, a physical store, and like three people working there. As much business as they get, I can't imagine they've got enough people to handle it all.

They finally responded via chat. Only took two hours!
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump