The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th March 2017
Gear Guru

got rid of the Roland A01 this thing is much better imo..

Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
got rid of the Roland A01 this thing is much better imo..

I'm pretty happy with mine. Originally bought it before I got into euro because it was the smallest / cheap controller with a true MIDI port. Once I got into euro, it became even more useful with the CV outputs along with a simple little sequencer and arpeggiator. Surprised more people in euro don't have one.
Old 4th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Rubadub ships outside of Europe? I never could find anything that indicated that, so I've avoided ordering from them to get stuff to the States.
Hmm, strange - I thought my profile listed where I was. Apologies - I'm in the UK. Off to fix my profile now.

Ian
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone here have experience with the Koma Kommander? I've been looking at it tonight, and it seems like it is quite responsive...I feel like it would be wicked for using with something like the Benjolin, but I'd be interested in first hand experience with it.

Also, I feel like I'm having crazy thoughts lately...I've got to tear apart my studio in a couple weeks to have some home repair done, and am really dreading dismantling the studio and setting it up again. Starting to think hard about selling the bulk of it to buy a bit more Eurorack and just going balls deep instead of slaving over more setup headaches...someone talk me out of it before I do something regrettable!
Old 4th March 2017
Gear Guru

The Arturia MIDI control centre software to set up the keystep is cool, you can really tweak the CV settings to suit and they work just great..
Old 4th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
On a side note, will all the vendors out there stop using USPS in the states please? UPS and FedEx have no problem dropping modules off at my door. USPS on the other hand, insists on freaking signatures for everything. Now I have to stand in line for 45m on Saturday pick up yet another damn package that originally arrived on Wednesday.
Signature required is up to the shipper or if a package is insured above a certain value. USPS is cheaper to get there faster too.
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

I leveled up my drum case. I wanted something a little more versatile that the Neuron and DubJr never liked the Intellijel PSU. I've replaced them with the SSF Entity and TT One. The Neuron was almost always in a static kick drum setting (which it does really well) so my plan is to sample a few kicks and load them up on the One. I hardly ever use the FM part of the Neuron so that always felt lost on me.

I'm immediately getting along with Entity. I love that it has the envelope outs. Really useful for self patching and the "Duck" out is a really cool feature. It's basically an inverted envelope intended for getting a side chain compression type thing on other signals. There's no internal noise generator but there is an audio in so patching in white noise could do some snare type sounds at the expense of needing another module. I mostly use Dinky's for snares because its got separate envelopes for noise and tone so no big loss.

The TT One is a great little module. I've been wanting a Radio Music type module that tracks v/0 and that's basically all it is. I got the Perc card along with the one that comes with the unit. It definitely felt a little weird buying what's basically a sound pack for the modular. I also picked up a 32GB micro SD that I'm going to work on filling up with my own samples.

Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
...someone talk me out of it before I do something regrettable!
You do realize that's like walking into a dive bar and trying to get someone to talk you out of having a few drinks.
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thanks for all the advice, guys. Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on. On a pseudo-related topic, turns out old buddy of mine still had some modules he wasn't able to unload, so I bought a couple including...

I'm sure you've heard me sign praises about the URA. I use it in basically every patch, even when they aren't generative or random. Clocked random in general is a great alternative to LFOs when you want subtle timbral changes. URA is a dense little beast though. Especially the flux and opto circuits and the way they work with each other. It's def worth reading the manual on that. Thankfully SSF does pretty thorough documentation. Entity came with a in depth paper manual including path suggestions. I really appreciate that with these deeper modules.
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/chordorgan/ looks intriguing. A different firmware for the Music Thing Modular Radio Music that allows for chords. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it does and how it works. Doesn't seem to be much info out there for it. But the second youtube demo in particular on that page sounds really good!
Im not sure what it really does either but the fact i have 2 x Radio Music i was thinking of converting one to chordorgan
Old 5th March 2017
Gear Guru

whoa I didn't realise the One module was out yet, where did you get yours at..?
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
whoa I didn't realise the One module was out yet, where did you get yours at..?
https://www.ctrl-mod.com
Old 5th March 2017
Gear Guru

I sold a few modules of late, really was brutal and sold things I could easily of kept but knew if I did then I wouldn't be able to afford anything new for ages so got rid of about 7 modules in total and used some of that money to buy an Intellijel quadra envelope, can I just say that I'm pissed I didn't buy this much earlier, it is absolutely brilliant, yes it's just an envelope but appearances are deceptive...what a great module, endless fun..
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
to buy an Intellijel quadra envelope, can I just say that I'm pissed I didn't buy this much earlier, it is absolutely brilliant, yes it's just an envelope but appearances are deceptive...what a great module, endless fun..
I got one just last week but haven't had a chance to try it yet. In my small cramped eurorack briefcase setup I'm replacing the Doepfer A-135-1 quad VCA, A-143-1 quad envelope/lfo and A-170 SL dual lag with a Bubblesound VCA4p, a Intellijel Quadra envelope and a Ladik C-011 dual lag (similar functionality in less space).

Old 5th March 2017
Gear Guru

it's a very tight envelope, very responsive and I love the shapes and drone switch..
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Im not sure what it really does either but the fact i have 2 x Radio Music i was thinking of converting one to chordorgan
There's a different link on the thread over at muffs.

Based on the info in that, it sounds like it's a small version of the Q-bit Chord, less functionality, and the Root doesn't track 1V/Oct due to the precision build into the board. But, it's also only what, 4 hp?

If you do convert one, I'd be curious to know how it compares to the Chord.
Old 5th March 2017
Here for the gear

MOTM in dotcom system?

I apologize if this has been discussed already. Apparently I'm too stupid to figure out how to search in this thread. I click on "Search thread", choose the "Search Thread" tab, type "MOTM" in the search window, and get a list of... threads, with this one at the top of the list. And I'm too lazy to read 67 pages to see if my question has already been answered.

So... Does anyone have a synth with MOTM modules (original MU, not Euro) and synthesizers.com modules in the same cabinet running off the same power supply? If so, do you use a dotcom power supply and harness, or MOTM or something else?

My situation is I built some MOTM kits years ago - 900 power supply, 440 filter, 110 vca, and 800 eg - but had to shelve that project indefinitely. Now I want to go back to it, but don't have time or inclination to do DIY and am planning to put together a dotcom system around a Moog Voyager with a VX-351 (don't have the 351 yet but since I do have the Voyager it seems to be cheaper to get a 351 than the equivalent dotcom modules). I'd like to use the MOTM 900 to power a cabinet of mostly dotcom modules but also the MOTM 440, 110, and 800. I also already have a 22U cabinet (custom jacklegged out of pine with wood rails so should be able to screw either type of module in ok). I understand the MOTM power connectors only have +/- 15V and the dotcom modules also need +5V so some kind of voltage divider board as well as connector adapters would probably be needed.

I emailed synthesizers.com and was told they don't have anything that would facilitate such a hybrid system. I was a bit surprised about this since mixing and matching modules from different manufacturers seems quite common, if not half the point of a modular synth. But maybe that's more in the Eurorack domain than MU.

Part of me feels like selling the MOTM stuff and starting over with a dotcom studio-22 system, but another part really likes the 440 filter in particular, and wants to salvage the MOTM stuff.

If my hybrid scheme can't be easily achieved I would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed. My longterm goal is basically a large dotcom system with other flavors added in (like the MOTM 440, and a Big Briar MF-101 ladder filter which I also have) for East Coast style classic patches as well as experimental, evolving/self-generating patches. (But not into grungy industrial noise that seems so popular these days. In fact quite the opposite - I can sit and listen to a couple creamy oscillators beat against each other, or a beautiful filter slowly being swept - super boring for most people probably but that's what gets my juices flowing.)

Thanks!
ld
Old 5th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I sold a few modules of late, really was brutal and sold things I could easily of kept but knew if I did then I wouldn't be able to afford anything new for ages so got rid of about 7 modules in total and used some of that money to buy an Intellijel quadra envelope, can I just say that I'm pissed I didn't buy this much earlier, it is absolutely brilliant, yes it's just an envelope but appearances are deceptive...what a great module, endless fun..
and with the expander it's freakin amazing. for me, intellijel is the most consistent company out there. no way I'll be able to resist the upcoming quad vca and plonk
Old 5th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Can someone recommend a stable Midi to CV Interface? One whose clock doesn't do 1/96 per default and then suddenly 8th on the offbeat when i set the divider to 3 I don't understand the Doepfer A-190-4 and i stopped trying to understand it today ... it has to go!
And please don't tell me Arturia Beatstep (with or without pro) i'm fed up with them aswell
Old 5th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
Can someone recommend a stable Midi to CV Interface? One whose clock doesn't do 1/96 per default and then suddenly 8th on the offbeat when i set the divider to 3 I don't understand the Doepfer A-190-4 and i stopped trying to understand it today ... it has to go!
And please don't tell me Arturia Beatstep (with or without pro) i'm fed up with them aswell
Vermona QMI2 has performed solidly for me in every situation so far. I use it to control my modular with the Octatrack and DAW with identical results. I've considered getting a 2nd one. Lots of outputs and programmability but it's dead simple to use. After the first time no manual required. Can't say enough good things about this one, worth every penny.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
Yarns, MIDI to CV and so much more.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Starting to think hard about selling the bulk of it to buy a bit more Eurorack and just going balls deep instead of slaving over more setup headaches...someone talk me out of it before I do something regrettable!
I did it. There's some cons to going this route, but overall there's no regrets here.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Yarns, MIDI to CV and so much more.
Plus one to this. Yarns is very flexible and can do just about anything you need it to. ...except MIDI thru.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklegger View Post
I apologize if this has been discussed already. Apparently I'm too stupid to figure out how to search in this thread. I click on "Search thread", choose the "Search Thread" tab, type "MOTM" in the search window, and get a list of... threads, with this one at the top of the list. And I'm too lazy to read 67 pages to see if my question has already been answered.

So... Does anyone have a synth with MOTM modules (original MU, not Euro) and synthesizers.com modules in the same cabinet running off the same power supply? If so, do you use a dotcom power supply and harness, or MOTM or something else?

My situation is I built some MOTM kits years ago - 900 power supply, 440 filter, 110 vca, and 800 eg - but had to shelve that project indefinitely. Now I want to go back to it, but don't have time or inclination to do DIY and am planning to put together a dotcom system around a Moog Voyager with a VX-351 (don't have the 351 yet but since I do have the Voyager it seems to be cheaper to get a 351 than the equivalent dotcom modules). I'd like to use the MOTM 900 to power a cabinet of mostly dotcom modules but also the MOTM 440, 110, and 800. I also already have a 22U cabinet (custom jacklegged out of pine with wood rails so should be able to screw either type of module in ok). I understand the MOTM power connectors only have +/- 15V and the dotcom modules also need +5V so some kind of voltage divider board as well as connector adapters would probably be needed.

I emailed synthesizers.com and was told they don't have anything that would facilitate such a hybrid system. I was a bit surprised about this since mixing and matching modules from different manufacturers seems quite common, if not half the point of a modular synth. But maybe that's more in the Eurorack domain than MU.

Part of me feels like selling the MOTM stuff and starting over with a dotcom studio-22 system, but another part really likes the 440 filter in particular, and wants to salvage the MOTM stuff.

If my hybrid scheme can't be easily achieved I would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed. My longterm goal is basically a large dotcom system with other flavors added in (like the MOTM 440, and a Big Briar MF-101 ladder filter which I also have) for East Coast style classic patches as well as experimental, evolving/self-generating patches. (But not into grungy industrial noise that seems so popular these days. In fact quite the opposite - I can sit and listen to a couple creamy oscillators beat against each other, or a beautiful filter slowly being swept - super boring for most people probably but that's what gets my juices flowing.)

Thanks!
ld
You're not the only one having issues with the search function. They did an upgrade recently but broke the thread search function in the process. @ImJohn is our resident 5u expert, so hopefully he can help you. I'd be surprised if there's no way to go from a MOTM power supply to DotCom because I know the opposite is possible. In fact, DotCom used to sell a DotCom to MOTM converter.

Actually just searched MuffWiggler, and ImJohn started a thread there that got stickied on how to make DotCom to MOTM converter cables, so hopefully he'll chime in on this.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the Random*Source Serge Wave Multipliers. This thing can really screw up a standard sin/triangle wave, and in a fantastic way - especially when self-patching. It's a kit, but it's damn easy. They do all the SMD/SMT - all you need to do is solder some headers, power header, two trimmers and the pots/jacks/switches. I had been somewhat gassing for the newest edition of the Livewire AFG, but it looks like a standard oscillator through this can get much of the same FUBAR wave shapes and CV control. Plus the new AFGs are completely manufactured like Dung according to a thread over at Muffs - SMD with 8 or nine through hole resistors soldered onto the SMD solder points here and there.

They also just released a triple waveshifter that looks interesting.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
How do you like the System-1m? There's a used one on craigslist going for 380 I've been looking into; with the MIDI-CV, multi-FX, audio interface looks good on paper but let me know how it performs when you get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I would be interested to hear what you think about the System 1m. It does look like a good control interface and I do like the Plug-outs which I have without the hardware.
I got the System-1m in yesterday. First thing's first, it should be noted since it's not in the manual and I thought my unit was broken because of it, CV PITCH AND GATE FUNCTIONS ONLY WORK IF BOTH JACKS ARE IN USE!!! You can't send just a CV pitch to it or a gate. If you do one or the other, but not both, it just ignores the signal entirely. So like if you're just using the envelopes for instance, you have to put a dummy cable into the CV input. It's a weird limitation, but it's there and if anyone else runs into it, they make think that CV/Gate just don't work at all.

As for how it is, I have't spent too much time with it yet, but I will say that it sounds better than I remember the System-1 sounding. (I doubt there's any difference, it's just that I'm remembering wrong.) As expected from the limited CV I/O, there are quite a few limitations with this thing integrating into a modular system. Sounds pretty good, like a cleaner version of the JP-8080. Having supersaw on both oscillators leads to some pretty dense stuff. Even with the limited CV, you can get pretty weird with it and I have a demo uploading to YouTube now to show off this weird drone I made with it and an NW1 being pumped into the mixer section. I wish it had more filter options, but I'm sure they wouldn't sell very many plugouts if it did. I think the plugouts are kind of overpriced, even with the System-1m owner discount. I may grab one or two later in the future, but I'm in no rush. It sounds good on its own.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

You can pick up the plug-outs not so legally oops! I was checking out the System-100 today and liked it So I kind of see the System-1m as an expensive controller but see advantages of having a good controller and being able to link up with Eurorack.
Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklegger View Post

I'd like to use the MOTM 900 to power a cabinet of mostly dotcom modules but also the MOTM 440, 110, and 800. I understand the MOTM power connectors only have +/- 15V and the dotcom modules also need +5V so some kind of voltage divider board as well as connector adapters would probably be needed.

If my hybrid scheme can't be easily achieved I would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed.
Yes, I can suggest a few ways to go! (thanks for the ping, Mr. @Derp! )

I wont go into great detail since I'm really hungry and need to go get some food (and there has been tons of details already posted over on Muff's forum on the subject) but ask lots of questions and I'll try to answer.

Real quick to avoid confusion when discussing differences with 5U modules:

5U = panel height (1U = 1.75" so 5U panels are all 8.75" tall).

MU = 'Moog Unit' and is mainly an indication of panel width and mounting hole locations. 1 MU = 2.125" The original Moog modules, Synthesizers.com, COTK, Mos-Lab, Moon Modular and many others are MU format. Mounting hole locations are in the center of the unit top and bottom.

MOTM = Panel widths are in 1.75" increments. Mounting hole locations are in all 4 corners of the panel.

So a 2U MOTM panel is going to be 3.5" wide and a 2 MU panel is going to be 4.25" wide.

RE: +5v - typically Synthesizers.com is pretty much the only MU manufacturer that requires a +5v power supply rail and not all of their modules use +5v, the digital modules need a fair amount but usually the analog modules only need it if they have an LED on board and then just a trickle. A majority of other manufacturers just put a 5 volt regulator on the PCB where needed so many MU systems out there don't have a +5v rail at all.

Take a look at the power requirements of all the modules you might want to use. https://www.modulargrid.net/ is a good place to start although information there is sometimes inaccurate or missing because anyone can enter/edit information. Build up your proposed system to get an idea of what your total power requirements will be like.

If you find that you'll only be using one or two modules that need +5v and just a small amount total then you could just stay with your existing supply and use a couple adapters (easy to build, actually just one tiny one could handle a few modules) but if you are going to need it for lots of modules and at higher current amounts you may want to make life easier on yourself and replace your power supply with one that has a strong +5v rail, like the Synthesizers.com QPS1 and associated input module and cables.

If you find that none of your modules need a separate +5v power rail you can just use your existing MOTM-900 supply and then make or buy power cables that have a 4 pin MTA-156 connector on one side to plug into your distribution board and a 6 pin MTA-100 connector on the other side to plug into your MU modules. Or you could add a small distribution board to handle your MU modules like the Analog Craftsman one: analog craftsman (note that while this little distro board supports a +5v rail input it doesn't create it from the +15v rail)

If you go with all Synthesizers.com power supply stuff (QPS1, Q137 input/switch module and QDH power harness) you can just remove the 6 pin MTA-100 connector from the ends of one or more cables in the QDH power harness and put on a 4 pin MTA-156 connector so you can power your MOTM modules.

Too hungry . . . must eat . . .
Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Roland System-1m is doing the bulk of the work on this with some help from Make Noise Maths, Doepfer Quad LFO, Waldorf NW1, and 4ms Noise Swash.
Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a feedback loop experiment. No sound sources used in this, just effects modules. Scooper is patched to Bitrazer, then to Torcido, then to Demora, then back to the Scooper. Output was split from the Demora.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search