The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Resets are a pain when they're not there. I decided to do the same thing with a get-off-my-lawn A160. But rather than midi I'm using one of my unused audio outs to send a CV pulse sample. I've been messing around with syncing everything with a pulse sample to pretty good results. Load up a sampler and pu tin whatever your PPQN needs are. On the BSP I dedicate one of the drum outs to reset.

As far as "I would love to hear how anyone makes their modular stop" you have to turn down the volume and watch the light show
Even with an Octocontroller, I thought I'd be able to free up some HP but the A160's still have a spot in my rack. Just stay off my lawn also.
Old 3rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
You need to send the Octocontroller a reset trigger. Don't know how / if you can send a square pulse from the Octatrack, but if it's possible, sending it on the first beat of you sequence should do the trick.
That's the part I figured out already :P

The query was related to how to make the modular STOP. It keeps going When I press stop on the daw or the Octatrack, both send clock continuously even when stopped. I'm starting to think some kind of "or" logic or some such thing would make it behave the way I am wanting now that I think about it...
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post

The query was related to how to make the modular STOP. It keeps going When I press stop on the daw or the Octatrack, both send clock continuously even when stopped. I'm starting to think some kind of "or" logic or some such thing would make it behave the way I am wanting now that I think about it...
I use Pamela's workout to stop/start my modular patches, one of the reasons why it's my must have module.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry, thought the reset would do it. I'm using Yarns as my main clock, so everything stops when it gets a MIDI stop and sends a CV reset.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

On a side note, will all the vendors out there stop using USPS in the states please? UPS and FedEx have no problem dropping modules off at my door. USPS on the other hand, insists on freaking signatures for everything. Now I have to stand in line for 45m on Saturday pick up yet another damn package that originally arrived on Wednesday.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Can we talk about generative synthesis techniques? I feel like I'm at that tipping point where all of this should be possible for me to do now. The only things that I really want in order to bring this together after watching the above video are a 4ms RCD, a Wogglebug, and an Ultra Random Analog. The thing is, I understand the techniques in the video, but I'm having trouble picturing everything coming together as one cohesive generative idea. I know the Wogglebug and RCD will help a lot to keep things moving, but I'm still having trouble with the concept of the whole piece being one non-repeating composition. Any thoughts on techniques and theories?
I love that video. I probably watch it every couple of weeks in the background at work. I'm going to go out on a limb though and say you can probably do about 90% of what's contained in that video with what you already have in your rack. One of the problems I find with videos like that is I don't have many of those modules and don't know the functionality of those vs. what I have. So I'm trying to get better at translating what they're doing (dcramer at Muffs and I think youtube as well does some really thought-provoking stuff too) to what I've got in my system.

For instance, you can get a random pitch from just a CV mixer and a few non-synced, not multiples or divisors of one another, (as slaughtr mentioned) longer LFOs, with the output into a rectifier. You can get funky EG triggers from Maths EOR and EOC by passing signals into Chs 1 and 4 and using CV to control rise on Ch 1 and fall on Ch 4. Play with lin/exp knob. You could also mult these signals or just use them to reset LFOs. Use VCAs to control all of the LFOs for the rise/fall CV and pitch stuff and now you have control over the items via just the VCA CV level knobs.

Quote:

In modular, things are always running. Oscillators, LFOs, etc. But what you could do is take the output of your DAW or Octatrack into one input of an And, and an offset output into the other input of an And. Take the output of the And into your main clock LFO's reset input or whatever, mult it if you need to talk to other things to start them and send those mults to starts/resets throughout your system. As long as the offset is below what the And module expects as "high" your system will run as normal. When you want it to "start" turn the offset up to a value over what the And is expecting, and your system will reset/start at the next clock signal from the Octatrack/DAW. Obviously volume will also have to be controlled from the And out, or you'll have to manually turn it up.

Quote:
On a side note, will all the vendors out there stop using USPS in the states please? UPS and FedEx have no problem dropping modules off at my door. USPS on the other hand, insists on freaking signatures for everything. Now I have to stand in line for 45m on Saturday pick up yet another damn package that originally arrived on Wednesday.
I actually appreciate that. Things in my neighborhood have "disappeared" before, so I'd rather hang at the post office for a while than potentially lose something.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Surprised at no mention of the new Pam's that's now out?
Old 3rd March 2017
Just in case anyone here hasn't subbed DivKid yet, here's a taste of all the cool stuff he does on his channel, including the podcast which is essentially an all-modular version of sonictalk. I have seen just about all of his vids. Very informative, highly recommend.
Old 3rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
In modular, things are always running. Oscillators, LFOs, etc. But what you could do is take the output of your DAW or Octatrack into one input of an And, and an offset output into the other input of an And. Take the output of the And into your main clock LFO's reset input or whatever, mult it if you need to talk to other things to start them and send those mults to starts/resets throughout your system. As long as the offset is below what the And module expects as "high" your system will run as normal. When you want it to "start" turn the offset up to a value over what the And is expecting, and your system will reset/start at the next clock signal from the Octatrack/DAW. Obviously volume will also have to be controlled from the And out, or you'll have to manually turn it up.
Ok seriously great advice, thanks. Your suggestion made me think about it differently than I was before. I can do exactly what you said but use a midi cc (of which I have extra) to control the offset thanks to the QMI2. This will give me the precise stop and start I am looking for...off to shop for some logic.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

I synch my BSP from my DAW and with midi via the ES-5 controller plugin. This was to get some stoppy starty action. However, my Octocontroller starts and stops using the ES sync plugin. Inconsistent maybe, but I was happy that the Silent Way suite gave me a solution in both cases.

Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just in case anyone here hasn't subbed DivKid yet, here's a taste of all the cool stuff he does on his channel, including the podcast which is essentially an all-modular version of sonictalk. I have seen just about all of his vids. Very informative, highly recommend.

Just love listening to the guy ... totally dig the dialect But i don't wann talk about how much money his videos already cost me

On another note .... work work work !

Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Fascinating videos and discussion on the last few pages.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Got a message on muffs that my O_c is being calibrated and sent out to me today. WOOHOO!

Picked up a Z8k sequencer from a guy locally.. now I need to build a rack because I need a second row. I filled the HEK with my first 2 voices.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Got a message on muffs that my O_c is being calibrated and sent out to me today. WOOHOO!

Picked up a Z8k sequencer from a guy locally.. now I need to build a rack because I need a second row. I filled the HEK with my first 2 voices.
With four outputs on O_c, you're going to need two more voices now.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd add a Euclidean rymthm generator for both of you. I'm using Frames with Parasites, but there are many others. I actually haven't tried the one in O_C yet, maybe tonight.
Euclidean Rhythms are a good idea, actually. One of the main reasons I've avoided getting a clock divider for so long is that I figured out that chaining sequencers together will get you some dynamic clock division. RCD mainly appeals to me because the rotation function looks like it could really bring a sequence to life.
Old 3rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Euclidean Rhythms are a good idea, actually. One of the main reasons I've avoided getting a clock divider for so long is that I figured out that chaining sequencers together will get you some dynamic clock division. RCD mainly appeals to me because the rotation function looks like it could really bring a sequence to life.
Yeah. I'm pretty addicted to 4MS stuff after getting the SMR and the QCD in the same week. It's pretty much a given now that I'll be getting SCM, RCD, and a PEG. Probably a CV matrix too.
Old 3rd March 2017
Beautiful farts-
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/chordorgan/ looks intriguing. A different firmware for the Music Thing Modular Radio Music that allows for chords. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it does and how it works. Doesn't seem to be much info out there for it. But the second youtube demo in particular on that page sounds really good!
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny, I'm in the opposite camp. UPS and FedEx are a pain in the ass around here. If there's no signature required, they'll just launch the damn package at my front door. If there is a signature required, UPS won't knock. They'll just take the package back to their distribution center where you have to go and pick it up. It's twenty-five miles away and only open between 4:30pm and 8:00pm. USPS on the other hand, they'll actually knock on the door, even if there is no signature required.

I sold an item a few years back on eBay, and actually got negative feedback for requiring a signature. Could not believe that actually pissed somebody off, especially since it was being delivered to some apartment in Detroit.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. I'm pretty addicted to 4MS stuff after getting the SMR and the QCD in the same week. It's pretty much a given now that I'll be getting SCM, RCD, and a PEG. Probably a CV matrix too.
Dooooood... PEG is AMAZING!
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Currently getting mind blown by Bitwig 2.0. It's basically got Silent Way built in - CV instrument device with built in auto tuning amongst other things. Combine this with the funky new modulation devices (that can cross modulate) and you're in tweaksville. Ordered Rings to celebrate at a ridiculous Juno price.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on. On a pseudo-related topic, turns out old buddy of mine still had some modules he wasn't able to unload, so I bought a couple including...

Hella good timing there considering how that just entered my wishlist. Also, snagged this off of him:

Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Addict

Tempi + Rene = New World

Got a Tempi (on a bit of a whim). My god it opens up the Rene and I've not even read the manual yet.
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Currently getting mind blown by Bitwig 2.0. It's basically got Silent Way built in - CV instrument device with built in auto tuning amongst other things. Combine this with the funky new modulation devices (that can cross modulate) and you're in tweaksville. Ordered Rings to celebrate at a ridiculous Juno price.
I basically buy from Juno or Rubadub most of the time but DV247 has some good prices sometimes as well. I was bidding on a 2nd hand Maths on ebay a week or so back and then snagged a new one from DV247 for less than the final Ebay price (225 quid as you ask, they still have them at that price as well).
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
I basically buy from Juno or Rubadub most of the time but DV247 has some good prices sometimes as well. I was bidding on a 2nd hand Maths on ebay a week or so back and then snagged a new one from DV247 for less than the final Ebay price (225 quid as you ask, they still have them at that price as well).
Good price. My Rings was £ 196!
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Good price. My Rings was £ 196!
Wow - that is good!
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Is the O_c from xbted ?
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is the O_c from xbted ?
No - user ZZ Ardoz.. I looked him up and people spoke pretty highly of his stuff.
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
No - user ZZ Ardoz.. I looked him up and people spoke pretty highly of his stuff.
Cool. I have one on order from xbted on MW ... hopefully coming next week

Must ... be ... patient ...
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rubadub ships outside of Europe? I never could find anything that indicated that, so I've avoided ordering from them to get stuff to the States.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search