The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I just want a second O_c.
any builders have all the parts or have one ready to go?
Check Muff Wiggler. I see those things for sale all the time.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Yes. You do it in the midi control center. I don't know why they set it so high but I would knock it down an octave to 2.
thanks man. there's a lot of great functionality in this sequencer.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
If you shop around a bit, a lot of the utility stuff can be fun, too. A CP3 takes a mixer and makes it exciting, for instance. Vactrols make VCA's fun. And a PEG makes envelopes HELLA fun!
I've got a CP3 in my original rack. Man, the M32 through it sounds amazing. It's so dirty.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

The 126hp rails arrived for my second rack. Just enough room for a couple more modules but it stops there - I hope!
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-201_sm.jpg  
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
but it stops there - I hope!
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Thanks guys.

Darned dull utility stuff. I want bleeping things.

the only way you'll get around not buying utilities and modulation modules is to buy full voices like Atlantis, Tonestar, Lifeforms etc etc..and even then you might still want some attenuation or some outside randomness or sample n hold..
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
rafl lol Hilarious!

Yes, maybe just an Atlantis then and a Hertz Donut and errr... No, I've decided I'm going to give some much missed love and care to my bank account for a while - until next month at least

I just got it connected up and Xmas lights! Impressed that a uZeus can power this much but it must be quite near its limit.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-2017_2.jpg  
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
rafl lol Hilarious!

Yes, maybe just an atlantis then and a Hertz Donut and errr... No, I've decided I'm going to give some much missed love and care to my bank account for a while - until next month at least

I just got it connected up and Xmas lights! Impressed that a uZeus can power this much but it must be quite near its limit.
You're well on your way my friend!

BTW, just saw this in my youtube recommendations. Good stuff!

Old 28th February 2017
Gear Guru

I'll say this again just to remind myself if nothing else, the more you use your modular the more you will realise what you need as opposed to what you fantasize about on modulargrid. You can spend days n months on modulargrid fantsizing about all sorts of combinations of modules, but when you start to really jam out with what you have you soon see you are way off with regards to the tools you really need..
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You're well on your way my friend!

BTW, just saw this in my youtube recommendations. Good stuff!

I look at patches like this and think how the hell can you keep track of that? But I'm guessing you don't once you've spent hours/days experimenting to build one patch you just leave it or start or another one.

I'm mostly concentrating on a couple of oscillators a filter (or two) and either straight out which I like or some modulation added and this is enough for all I need.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
the only way you'll get around not buying utilities and modulation modules is to buy full voices like Atlantis, Tonestar, Lifeforms etc etc..and even then you might still want some attenuation or some outside randomness or sample n hold..
Good info as always, Fiddle.

The whole reason I own modular now is because I wanted the Atlantis. I love it.

I have a theory about this whole Modular Grid business, and I think the longer I spend playing with my gear, the less I think about the next desirable object.

This evening, I've been sat on my Pro 2 for absolutely hours, just playing, synthesising and using it.

The more I explore what I own, the less I actually want any more gear. It's so easy to buy loads of stuff at once and never get to know it.

However, I'm not wavering from the AJH Minimod. That thing needs to be owned by me. I considered getting another couple of M32s and the three tier rack, but those modules just sound beautiful.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

The tone, responsiveness, and quality of Q and A in this thread (and last year's, etc) is truly outstanding. Thanks again to the regulars who share so much knowledge.
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Thanks guys.

Darned dull utility stuff. I want bleeping things.
go for the umod. it's massively versatile for all kinds of cv and audio duties, sounds excellent, and the lights go super nutty!
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Maniac

ok, sorry, I've said this before, but the er-301 is just simply insane from all points of view. the sound is truly incredible. even though I didn't think of it this way at first, with all it can do, it's a freakin bargain.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
the only way you'll get around not buying utilities and modulation modules is to buy full voices like , Tonestar, Lifeforms etc etc..and even then you might still want some attenuation or some outside randomness or sample n hold..
Nope. I started with a Mother - and went with 2 full voices (Lifeforms and Tonestar)... totally still need some utilities.

I need a better mixer, attenuverters, clock divider, more mults, etc... didn't take long to figure it out.
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Has anyone started a Eurorack system based around an MS20m? I can get one for a good price and I would want to use it's envelopes, LFO to help control a small system in the early stages that I will later build upon. I've always wanted a MS20 and the module plays nicely with Eurorack due to supporting both Hz/V and V/Oct.

Just wondering it's pros and cons and what modules would be good to add in the beginning to expand. Not that many discussions on integrating the module version of the MS20 compared to other semi-modulars. Thanks!
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud drift View Post
Has anyone started a Eurorack system based around an MS20m? I can get one for a good price and I would want to use it's envelopes, LFO to help control a small system in the early stages that I will later build upon. I've always wanted a MS20 and the module plays nicely with Eurorack due to supporting both Hz/V and V/Oct.

Just wondering it's pros and cons and what modules would be good to add in the beginning to expand. Not that many discussions on integrating the module version of the MS20 compared to other semi-modulars. Thanks!
The MS-20 operates on a different standard than Euro. There are interfaces like English Tear or the Disting that will do the conversion though.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think the gates are also inverted on the MS-20, at least the mini. Not sure about the m. I thought my mini would see a lot of use with the modular, but it turns out there's just not enough patch points, at least on the mini for me to get into it. The Mother32 on the other hand is another story from a patch point perspective.
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The MS-20 operates on a different standard than Euro. There are interfaces like English Tear or the Disting that will do the conversion though.
They changed that for the module version though, it works with both standards Hz/V and V/Oct, unless I'm understanding it wrong. But it it not the same as the mini. Which is why I can't find much info on specifically the module version.
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I think the gates are also inverted on the MS-20, at least the mini. Not sure about the m. I thought my mini would see a lot of use with the modular, but it turns out there's just not enough patch points, at least on the mini for me to get into it. The Mother32 on the other hand is another story from a patch point perspective.
Yeah I'm just wondering how flexible that patch panel really is with external gear. I think there are gates for both standard and old MS-style inverted on the module (at least according to what I read on Muff Wiggler). Hard to find info though because not many modules were made and there are some significant changes compared to the mini version.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I just took a look at mine, all the generators seem to be available for external use, as are the filters (which are great BTW). The only downside is that you can't get a feed of the pure OSC's, they're tied into to the filter signal path.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
...The only downside is that you can't get a feed of the pure OSC's, they're tied into to the filter signal path.
This reminds me of a question that's been lingering in my mind.

What would it take, for example, to add a CV in or out where it doesn't exist from the manufacturer? Such as:

* adding it to the to solve the MS20 issue void23 mentions above?

* take any given MoogerFooger pedal and adding it to whatever other function doesn't have one already?

* adding CV i/o to some other analog device/pedal that, as stock, has no CV?

With all of the companies making Modular and other gear, and all of the DIY community, why isn't this more common or easier, or is it?
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Guru

the thing with using an MS20 is you can get the MS20 filter readily already in Modular which in my opinion is most of the MS20's character..
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just took a look at mine, all the generators seem to be available for external use, as are the filters (which are great BTW). The only downside is that you can't get a feed of the pure OSC's, they're tied into to the filter signal path.
There are a few mods to the MS-20 mini such as individual osc out, PWM control, osc sync. I'm guessing similar mods are also possible with the m if you're comfortable DIYing and soldering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
This reminds me of a question that's been lingering in my mind.

What would it take, for example, to add a CV in or out where it doesn't exist from the manufacturer? Such as:

* adding it to the to solve the MS20 issue void23 mentions above?

* take any given MoogerFooger pedal and adding it to whatever other function doesn't have one already?

* adding CV i/o to some other analog device/pedal that, as stock, has no CV?

With all of the companies making Modular and other gear, and all of the DIY community, why isn't this more common or easier, or is it?
I"m still coming up to speed in circuit design, but you're essentially adding a voltage for CV ins. If the board/circuit is already able to handle this additional voltage, or if you add some resistors as well, you might be able to pull it off without drawing additional current. Electrical components are sometimes rated up to a certain voltage, current or power value. By adding voltage to the circuit, you're potentially modifying all of those values at multiple points in the circuit, so you should really know what you're doing in those situations, or follow someone else's mods that has already figured you won't be blowing any components or setting anything on fire.
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
the thing with using an MS20 is you can get the MS20 filter readily already in Modular which in my opinion is most of the MS20's character..
That's a good point, I may not get the MS20 and just go straight to modular haha
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This. MS20 and Moog are some of the most commonly imitated filters in Euro. If you can scare up an Analogue Solutions SY02, they're cheap (usually about $130-ish) and nail that MS20 sound. There are also some fun twists on the theme with modules like the SEM20 that have characteristics of both the MS20 and the SEM. Modular is a playground for getting any sound you can fathom and then some.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

For the price of the MS-20m, you get a hell of a lot of synth compared to euro. I've got one. even if I mostly use it as a standalone, having the chance to patch in LFOs and other things into the signal from my eurorack make it a keeper. I even have a Korgasmatron II, but it all has it's place without being redundant.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear
I'm considering a cheap(ish) small eurorack starter case mostly for signal processing/FX (filters, LPG, distortion,are there stereo modules?, a kick drum, delay, maybe compression, VCA, Mixer, etc) My fixed-income is going to be reduced prematurely due to a certain American political party undoing healthcare reforms making any sizeable (over 150ish) investment impossible within a month or two. I've been looking at the Pittsburgh Modular Cell-48 which is ~$250 and comes with the power supply and whatnot. I have never soldered anything in my life although I do have an iron(never opened). I'm split between a Waldorf Blofield desktop and this modular setup (so ~$500 max).

Would a restricted budget be unwise for a foray into the eurorack realm? Does anyone have a Blofield and a modular? What does anyone think?
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
I'm considering a cheap(ish) small eurorack starter case mostly for signal processing/FX (filters, LPG, distortion,are there stereo modules?, a kick drum, delay, maybe compression, VCA, Mixer, etc) My fixed-income is going to be reduced prematurely due to a certain American political party undoing healthcare reforms making any sizeable (over 150ish) investment impossible within a month or two. I've been looking at the Pittsburgh Modular Cell-48 which is ~$250 and comes with the power supply and whatnot. I have never soldered anything in my life although I do have an iron(never opened). I'm split between a Waldorf Blofield desktop and this modular setup (so ~$500 max).

Would a restricted budget be unwise for a foray into the eurorack realm? Does anyone have a Blofield and a modular? What does anyone think?
get yourself a Modulargrid account, it's free, and then start building your imaginary system with case and everything, all the specs for all the modules and case are provided, cost, power rating the lot.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search