The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Would the DTM/CP3 Mixer (the CV one) work for mixing the signals you guys have been discussing? If not, why not?
Yes, you can use it for that. For mixing CV, you just want to make sure the module is DC-Coupled, not AC-coupled. AC-coupled modules remove the DC offsets, which you don't want removed for CV.

Speaking of Wasps, here's an example of the dual wasp self-resonating and run through the R*S Serge Res EQ. Careful with headphones or speakers. I went a bit too far with the feedback at one point. (I'm working on the comparison to the Doepfer)

Also had some fun today messing around and running some squares and saws through a clock divider for a "chord-like" tone. Take square -> Clock, then experiment with the different divider outputs through a mixer/VCA.
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Guru

I have a triatt purely for attenuating LFO's and am considering getting another, 3 inputs is nowhere near enough, I'm finding attenuators are like vca's you can never have too many.. then again some vca's can do both, Veils is on my radar soon..
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I have a triatt purely for attenuating LFO's and am considering getting another, 3 inputs is nowhere near enough, I'm finding attenuators are like vca's you can never have too many.. then again some vca's can do both, Veils is on my radar soon..
Airtenuators! Airtenuators! Airtenuators! Airtenuators! Airtenuators! Airtenuators!

Also, rather than a second Triatt maybe consider something like a Fonitronik Cascade/4MS SISM/Mutable Blinds/Shades as being able to mix, scale AND offset modulation sources is very useful.
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Guru

yeah both Blinds and Veils are really useful looking modules..
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

For you Wasp filter fans, I've finally gotten un-lazy, recorded and arranged all the sound bites into a playlist on soundcloud.

Basic gist of what I did:

1) gain stage Doepfer A-124 Wasp (have the special edition, but I believe the circuits are the same for special and non-special editions) as well as R*S Dual Wasps with no resonance using the AJH Minimod VCO square for one group and sharkfin for another
2) for each filter mode, record filter sweep with no resonance, resonance at 50 percent and resonance at 100%
3) for the Dual Wasp, I have one setup for the distortion circuit to be pre-filter, and one is setup post-filter. While not modifying the input gain, set distortion to 50% and 100% and recorded with no resonance, 50% res and 100%

All recordings went through the same channel on the WMD MM VCA with no saturation or CV, into the same mixer channel into same interface inputs. Once in the DAW, I rearranged in the following order:

Doepfer
R*S, no distortion
R*S 50% distortion post filter
R*S 50% distortion pre filter
R*S 100% distortion post filter
R*S 100% distortion pre filter

Each group of sounds is followed by a period of silence where the resonance is then upped to 50%, followed by silence, followed by the group with resonance at 100%. As the distortion circuits are different and produce different gain increases, I eyeballed the wavs in the DAW and tried to ensure they were reasonably the same, at least within the group.

Enjoy the comparison! (I know a bit too much about the Wasp filter at this point )

Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
For you Wasp filter fans, I've finally gotten un-lazy, recorded and arranged all the sound bites into a playlist on soundcloud.

Basic gist of what I did:

1) gain stage Doepfer wasp (have the special edition, but I believe the circuits are the same for special and non-special editions) as well as R*S Dual Wasps with no resonance using the AJH Minimod VCO square for one group and sharkfin for another
2) for each filter mode, record filter sweep with no resonance, resonance at 50 percent and resonance at 100%
3) for the Dual Wasp, I have one setup for the distortion circuit to be pre-filter, and one is setup post-filter. While not modifying the input gain, set distortion to 50% and 100% and recorded with no resonance, 50% res and 100%

All recordings went through the same channel on the WMD MM VCA with no saturation or CV, into the same mixer channel into same interface inputs. Once in the DAW, I rearranged in the following order:

Doepfer
R*S, no distortion
R*S 50% distortion post filter
R*S 50% distortion pre filter
R*S 100% distortion post filter
R*S 100% distortion pre filter

Each group of sounds is followed by a period of silence where the resonance is then upped to 50%, followed by silence, followed by the group with resonance at 100%. As the distortion circuits are different and produce different gain increases, I eyeballed the wavs in the DAW and tried to ensure they were reasonably the same, at least within the group.

Enjoy the comparison! (I know a bit too much about the Wasp filter at this point )

I'm biased, but I like the sound of the Doepfer better, especially the levels on the second grouping.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'm biased, but I like the sound of the Doepfer better, especially the levels on the second grouping.
For me it's really what I'm in the mood for. I'm not sure if soundcloud shows, but there are definitely more harmonic overtones in the R*S. It's a much more gentle resonance circuit with the feedback nowhere near as gnarly - more musical to my ears. So if I just got into a fight with the g/f, then I'd probably use the Doepfer, otherwise the R*S. I prefer the post filter distortion better than the pre, at least in these examples.

Couple things to note. These are comparisons only of the single filters, and the functionality at the LCD - the Doepfer. The R*S also has a continuous LP -> BP that the Doepfer doesn't. Additionally, you can run the two in serial, parallel or anywhere between, and you can CV that level. So, running a single signal in parallel, you can have that signal essentially having a 24db filter rather than 12. You can also sync the two filters such that cutoff and CV control of cutoff is controlled by the A filter values. So, it's really a much more functional filter than I showed here - I just don't have dual Doepfers, mults and VCAs to provide anything close to that kind of functionality.

Second note is due to the resonant bumps between 9 and 10 o'clock on the cutoff, (for both Doepfer and R*S BTW) I had to keep levels down to avoid clipping going into the DAW. The R*S in particular struggled with the non bumps being too low in level in BP mode. So, that may have had an impact on the loudness and hence what you hear and why you preferred one over the other.

I probably should have gone from Doepfer to the 50% distortion versions rather than Doepfer, then non distortion as I think the 50% distortion and sometimes 100% distortion comes closer to the Doepfer.

Nonetheless, it was a fun little test, and may have convinced me to keep the Doepfer.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapedseams View Post
Airtenuators! Airtenuators! Airtenuators! Airtenuators! Airtenuators! Airtenuators!

Also, rather than a second Triatt maybe consider something like a Fonitronik Cascade/4MS SISM/Mutable Blinds/Shades as being able to mix, scale AND offset modulation sources is very useful.
Yes, passive attenuators can be used for this scenario in order to save power and potentially rack space, provided you don't need a mix out.

Airtenuators are brilliant, but I also have a couple passive attenuator modules I've built that work fine for audio.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Since people are talking about attenuators, I feel like I should mention these again: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7116

Works like a mult with attenuation on each output, and cheap as hell. I picked up a couple weeks ago just to see if it would work, and will be ordering some again soon when I put in another Monoprice order.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

While normally I wouldn't advocate for anything from Blue Lantern...

$65 for seven attenuators is kind of a no-brainer.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Got a neat sale from Perfect Circuit this week: 20% off select EMW modules (GO GET YOURSELF AN ANALOG DRUM SYNTH!), and 10% off the other EMW modules with coupon EMW10.

Just snagged myself one each of these:

Old 27th February 2017
Gear Maniac
I might have a WMD Aperture on the way. Seems really cool, and like it hasn't made any impact –*I'm wondering why. The architecture seems really great and as a non-filtery type of person, something that brings something new to the table is certainly welcome. It's similar to the Xaoc Belgrad, but seems more controllable and I liked the sound more.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
They all sounds great and close enough to each other (assuming no distortion).

I have the Elby version and the main thing i've noticed is that it is incredibly sensitive to input volume. I hacked in an attentuator into mine but it would be worth running a VCA before the Wasp filter and modulating it as the effect is so drastic.

It really is a unique sounding filter.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They all sounds great and close enough to each other (assuming no distortion).

I have the Elby version and the main thing i've noticed is that it is incredibly sensitive to input volume. I hacked in an attentuator into mine but it would be worth running a VCA before the Wasp filter and modulating it as the effect is so drastic.

It really is a unique sounding filter.
I definitely noticed the inputs gain staging "issue." I'd recorded a round of comparisons prior to this group where the Doepfer even with no resonance fluctuated wildly in amplitude on the filter sweep. So, I paid much more attention this time around to gain staging INTO the filters so they were relatively the same. This round, there was no amplitude fluctuations, or minimal with zero resonance on each of the three filters.

It would be interesting to see how input differences affect each as well, but I likely won't be doing any more tests. I'd rather just play at this point.
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Addict

Anybody using these Koma attenuator cables? Kinda kaught my eye on AH ...

Koma Elektronik | Analogue Haven
Old 27th February 2017
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I was attacked by aliens.
I can haz a modular!
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog128 View Post

I've not used those, but it's the same concept as the airtennuator, which are a bit cheaper. Another really nice thing about the airtennuators is you can pretty much arrange them in the air so the pot faces you.

I don't see why those cables wouldn't work though. All one needs for attenuation is two jacks and a pot. (which is essentially what the control on that cable is)
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I read somewhere (probably Muffs) that the throw on the slider was very hard to dial in small increments. The Airtenuators however use standard pots which give the expected control.
Old 28th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, first thing's first: When you get it, even if you don't plan on using it with a computer, go ahead and hook it up to the software so you can reprogram it. The base note for CV sequencing is really high and the default clock is some ridiculously high number. Once you get those two fixed, just sit back and enjoy the ride!
Does this mean you can change the voltage that comes out at 'middle C' on the Beatstep Pro?? I got a Microbrute a couple months ago thinking 'Awesome I can play my modular with it' and then realized when trying to stack it with the modular in unison, the CV it puts out at middle C is 2v more than what my Doepfer VCO expects for the same note, and 1v higher than my EMW VCO wants. Doesn't look like theres any way to change that for the Micro so Ive pretty much stopped using it as a controller and its now a standalone mono synth. I ended up buying Expert Sleepers Silent Way a few days ago just to trigger and play the modular in Logic..
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Guys

Firstly, it's been a horrid year and I detest you all. I've kept away from Modular for almost twelve months, yet every time I'm on GS, I see this thread but never enter. Sadly, I did, and now through peer pressure, I'm going to get another 6U of 84HP to play with, as I've fallen in love with the AJH Minimod stuff.

As always, the opinions and knowledge in this thread astounds me, so I thought I'd run this past and ask for suggestions.

Here's my current set up, and my proposed.

Just wondered if anyone could make any suggestions as to what else to add in the gaps? Like the idea of x0x Heart, Roland VCO, but my issue is I often overlook utility modules, so any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Does this mean you can change the voltage that comes out at 'middle C' on the Beatstep Pro??
Yes. You do it in the midi control center. I don't know why they set it so high but I would knock it down an octave to 2.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Hi Guys

Firstly, it's been a horrid year and I detest you all. I've kept away from Modular for almost twelve months, yet every time I'm on GS, I see this thread but never enter. Sadly, I did, and now through peer pressure, I'm going to get another 6U of 84HP to play with, as I've fallen in love with the AJH Minimod stuff.

As always, the opinions and knowledge in this thread astounds me, so I thought I'd run this past and ask for suggestions.

Just wondered if anyone could make any suggestions as to what else to add in the gaps? Like the idea of x0x Heart, Roland VCO, but my issue is I often overlook utility modules, so any suggestions would be really appreciated.

I'd want more modulation - EGs, LFOs, random. Some worth looking at are Kinks, URA, Peaks, Butami, Just Friends, Tides. I'm a big fan of the function generator concept put you already have a Maths so maybe something a bit different.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
I read somewhere (probably Muffs) that the throw on the slider was very hard to dial in small increments. The Airtenuators however use standard pots which give the expected control.
Yep, that's about right. It's not for really fine tuning. If you need to roughly cut the level in half or something like that they're great; but if you need to dial something in carefully...I don't know, I found that to be very difficult.

I personally use them as input attenuators for modules that get pissy about levels: Instant Lofi Junky, some of my FM inputs, the inputs on the NLC wave folder (it really wants 5V peak to peak, if you feed it standard 10V p-p you get folding at the zero position).

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
I might have a WMD Aperture on the way. Seems really cool, and like it hasn't made any impact –*I'm wondering why. The architecture seems really great and as a non-filtery type of person, something that brings something new to the table is certainly welcome. It's similar to the Xaoc Belgrad, but seems more controllable and I liked the sound more.
The Aperture actually gets a ton of love over on Muffwiggler. I'm not sure what it brings to the table that's new but as variable bandpass filters go I can't think of one that gets talked about as much. The thing is there are twelve billion filters (based on thirteen billion designs) out there; and a variable bandpass is perhaps unlikely to get the kind of following that a more standard (like a transistor ladder LPF) or more versatile (like Polaris which gives you multi-pole, 4 or 5 bandpass filters in addition to LPF, HPF, APF, notch, Phaser) designs might attract.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
The Aperture actually gets a ton of love over on Muffwiggler. I'm not sure what it brings to the table that's new but as variable bandpass filters go I can't think of one that gets talked about as much. The thing is there are twelve billion filters (based on thirteen billion designs) out there; and a variable bandpass is perhaps unlikely to get the kind of following that a more standard (like a transistor ladder LPF) or more versatile (like Polaris which gives you multi-pole, 4 or 5 bandpass filters in addition to LPF, HPF, APF, notch, Phaser) designs might attract.
Hehe, I think you're absolutely right about the crowded market that is filters.

And yeah, the kind of specialized nature of the Aperture is probably what makes it hard to buy for some.

I think the sound is fairly unique. You get the dual peak thing, and it's much more controllable than with something like the Xaoc Belgrad, which is pretty well-liked, too. (you get the frequency and width controls, but also res for both peaks, AND you get CV control over the separate filters). Then there's the feedback, and it sounds really odd when self-oscillating, kind of FM'y.

When I saw it, I right away thought it could be really cool with dense sound sources, like the Piston Honda - there's often neat stuff happening both in the low end and higher up - with the Aperture, you can highlight the frequencies you want with the dual peaks. Not to mention that I want to modulate ALL THE DESTINATIONS in audio rate, at the same time!

It might be the case that I end up cursing it and just wanting a uVCF instead :D But I'm not huge on filters, and that's exactly why I was drawn to the quirky features and sound of the Aperture. More of an effects module than a straight-up filter, and all that.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Hehe, I think you're absolutely right about the crowded market that is filters.

And yeah, the kind of specialized nature of the Aperture is probably what makes it hard to buy for some.

I think the sound is fairly unique. You get the dual peak thing, and it's much more controllable than with something like the Xaoc Belgrad, which is pretty well-liked, too. (you get the frequency and width controls, but also res for both peaks, AND you get CV control over the separate filters). Then there's the feedback, and it sounds really odd when self-oscillating, kind of FM'y.

When I saw it, I right away thought it could be really cool with dense sound sources, like the Piston Honda - there's often neat stuff happening both in the low end and higher up - with the Aperture, you can highlight the frequencies you want with the dual peaks. Not to mention that I want to modulate ALL THE DESTINATIONS in audio rate, at the same time!

It might be the case that I end up cursing it and just wanting a uVCF instead :D But I'm not huge on filters, and that's exactly why I was drawn to the quirky features and sound of the Aperture. More of an effects module than a straight-up filter, and all that.
Yeah personally I think Aperture is badass, one of the most interesting filters in Eurorack. It has been on and off of my master buy list; not because I'm unsure about what it can do but I just already have a ton of filters (none of which I want to part with) and two that can do bandpass. But every demo I've heard has been ace and if someone asked for recommendations for a BP filter that would definitely be one I'd recommend.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Guys

With all three boxes, you have far too little attenuation which you could get from dedicated attenuators or VCAs.

I agree with subdo in that you could use some more modulation as well. A quad LFO or something. I love my Batumi.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.

Darned dull utility stuff. I want bleeping things.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys.

If you shop around a bit, a lot of the utility stuff can be fun, too. A CP3 takes a mixer and makes it exciting, for instance. Vactrols make VCA's fun. And a PEG makes envelopes HELLA fun!
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys.

You have a whole mess of bleeping things in that rack!
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

I just want a second O_c.
any builders have all the parts or have one ready to go?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search