The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
I needed more color in my rack ...

Also need more drums and voice so i ordered the next round of DIY Stuff ... Shakmat Knights Gallop, two Synthrotek DS-M and a Befaco Even VCO ... exciting times
That thing is sweet, one of my favorite filters right now ... Total Alan Wilder era Depeche Mode sound. Pairs great with my Omikron. For the cost, everyone should find a way to fit one in their rack.
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
That thing is sweet, one of my favorite filters right now ... Total Alan Wilder era Depeche Mode sound. Pairs great with my Omikron. For the cost, everyone should find a way to fit one in their rack.
Didn't these use to create a problem in some racks where they smoked other modules?
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Im a Random Source fanboy too (however they are expensive)

Yes got Sloth from NLC with the usual newspaper.
Have you started the O_C build yet? I'm putting together a mouser cart for it, and ordered the display. Was hoping to be able to use the extra display I got for the ZeroScope, but it's too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
Didn't these use to create a problem in some racks where they smoked other modules?
No, they smoke themselves. One of the chips in it has a tendancy to go up in smoke, literally. Just replace the chip. I've not heard of them damaging other modules though.

I still need to do and post a comparison of the R*S Dual Wasp and the Doepfer...The Doepfer's definitely less predictable, but little less harmonics too. I'd thought I'd sell it once the Dual Wasp was finished, but it's got its own thing going. Great little filter, especially for the price.
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

@ImNotDedyet I have started the O&C but since getting a new job havin't got a lot of spare time, I have a panel ordered when that arrives I'll have a go at finishing it, I won't solder pots n jacks without a panel.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

How do I feed say three CV's into one CV input like on an oscillator. I've noticed most oscillators only have two cv in's and these get used up quickly. Can I do this using a common passive mult or do I need something special for this? I've noticed the most common ones have 1:3 out but I would want to do this other way around - 3:1 and have only seen that MI Links has this option. For now I have been using double input banana cables.
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do I feed say three CV's into one CV input like on an oscillator. I've noticed most oscillators only have two cv in's and these get used up quickly. Can I do this using a common passive mult or do I need something special for this? I've noticed the most common ones have 1:3 out but I would want to do this other way around - 3:1 and have only seen that MI Links has this option. For now I have been using double input banana cables.
just mix them with a CV/mixer..linear is audio exponential is usually for Cv..some mixers can do both..
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Besides a CV mixer, you could also potentially use a VCA if it has an output that mixes the inputs.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Thats where I'm at with O&C

and as a traitor i am I'm enjoying this thing, I'm gonna finish a dance track i was working on with her.

Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
A mixer or a VCA like MI Blinds is good for this. I got Blinds mainly for mixing envelopes and LFO's, works great.
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Maniac

can anyone please advise me on a good euro module/s or in combination that can give some similar results to the oto biscuit (i ask as i just sold my biscuit to help fund my eurorack box - might be crazy in future when biscuit prices skyrocket due to its collector status - but in the meantime ive got a goal to have just a eurorack mono from hell and itb, and my trusty avalon / tt-303 combo).. ive got the dry wet mixing sorted, itb to eurorack input sorted and several filter options..

but its really the bitcrusher / mangling bit im looking for in some sort of module, as i want to replicate a method i like which is bit crush and biscuiting on drums > into LPF > mix with dry signal - not rocket science but makes even the most boring drum loop sound awesome.

so far ive seen wmd geiger counter.. nice.
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindseye robot View Post
can anyone please advise me on a good euro module/s or in combination that can give some similar results to the oto biscuit (i ask as i just sold my biscuit to help fund my eurorack box - might be crazy in future when biscuit prices skyrocket due to its collector status - but in the meantime ive got a goal to have just a eurorack mono from hell and itb, and my trusty avalon / tt-303 combo).. ive got the dry wet mixing sorted, itb to eurorack input sorted and several filter options..

but its really the bitcrusher / mangling bit im looking for in some sort of module, as i want to replicate a method i like which is bit crush and biscuiting on drums > into LPF > mix with dry signal - not rocket science but makes even the most boring drum loop sound awesome.

Modular grid is your friend here, search under all the relevant attributes/criteria of the module you are looking for and you will get results based on all that belong in that criteria..
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Never owned or used a Biscuit, but i do have a Geiger counter which is one hell of a bitcrusher.
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Modular grid is your friend here, search under all the relevant attributes/criteria of the module you are looking for and you will get results based on all that belong in that criteria..
haha ive just been watching a couple of your videos on it.. seems perfect for the job.
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thanks fiddlestickz.. yep im familiar with modular grid.. it is such an awesome website. my friend and my enemy with all those choices.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats where I'm at with O&C

and as a traitor i am I'm enjoying this thing, I'm gonna finish a dance track i was working on with her.

Nothing wrong with an Oddy in your music!
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Guru

Hey cane how are you enjoying the Oddy flatbed, does it play nice with your euro..?
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Got in my second Peaks today and patched this together: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ9aiEtA...recycledcities

(Side note: is there some way to embed Instagram videos on GS? I haven't figured it out but it would be convenient, since I document a lot of WIP that way)

Patch notes: Squarp Pyramid in Euclidean mode/Batumi clocking MI Branches, triggering both Peaks in expert/split mode, out to Tangle Quartet <Ripples, with the Benjolin triangle A output to Ripple FM input...triangle B output is going into Braids FM input, with Braids in Bell mode and the LPF Benjolin both out to the Optomix, finally out to Clouds. Heavy lifting done by the Batumi, Cold Mac, Maths, and Benjolin.

Maybe a little excited here, but it's the closest I've gotten towards some of the sounds and rhythms in my head since I started down this crazy electronic music journey, and one of the first things I've done in a minute that I actually enjoyed.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey cane how are you enjoying the Oddy flatbed, does it play nice with your euro..?
I've not had time to run it side by side with eurorack yet I've been playing around with it sequence by BSP via CV, today I'll hook it up via midi with logic to finish a track.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
A mixer or a VCA like MI Blinds is good for this. I got Blinds mainly for mixing envelopes and LFO's, works great.
I have Veils, Uvca, Triatt which I could use for mixing CV's but this seems like a waste of using modules that I would use two channels up just to add two CV signals together. The Tip Top banana cables are good but just wondering what else it out there and what people use.

I have one of these 6 split adapters around somewhere but have also seen the Intellijel 4 splitter but they seem really expensive for what they are.

From what I've read you can use standard audio splitters:
The Modular Thread 2017http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Way-3-5m...gAAOSwgZ1Xrdda
Old 26th February 2017
Quote:

so far ive seen WMD geiger counter.. nice.
I love my Geiger Counter because it has a choice of bitcrushing algorhytms, and it can do subtle processing as well.
There's also the The Harvestman Malgorithm and also the Make Noise has some interesting functions and sounds:

also there's the Audio Damage ErrorBox and GrainShift: My Phonogene handles grainshift too.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Is that the Arp Odyssey? How is it? I'd considered I might get an Atlantis next or the Deepmind, now you have me interested in this.

ARP ODYSSEY Module - DUOPHONIC SYNTHESIZER | KORG (Canada - EN)
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have Veils, Uvca, Triatt which I could use for mixing CV's but this seems like a waste of using modules that I would use two channels up just to add two CV signals together. The Tip Top banana cables are good but just wondering what else it out there and what people use.

I have one of these 6 split adapters around somewhere but have also seen the Intellijel 4 splitter but they seem really expensive for what they are.

The Modular Thread 20175 Way 3.5mm Jack Multi Headphone Headset Earphone MP3 Player Audio Hub Splitter | eBay
Stackcables and passive mults aren't made for mixing and while not likely you could damage modules doing this. Eurorack modules only expect -/+12v so you could imagine what would happen if you were mixing two 8v signals and sending that to another module without attenuation. In practice most modules are protected from that type of damage but you never know.

Triatt is specifically designed to do what you want with mode selector so you can mix LFOs and signals that go negative. You can also use logic modules like and/or (min, max) to get interesting combinations.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Modular Thread 20175 Way 3.5mm Jack Multi Headphone Headset Earphone MP3 Player Audio Hub Splitter | eBay
Keep in mind that most VCAs that have mixing capabilities remove elements from the mix out if you patch the individual channel out(s). So you could still essentially use Veils as a VCA on two channels with the individual outs being patched elsewhere in your system, and just use two channels on Veils to do the mixing/adding of signals. I do this often with my Doepfer A-135 or whatever module number it is, VCA.

So, you wouldn't be just "wasting a module" in this case.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is that the Arp Odyssey? How is it? I'd considered I might get an Atlantis next or the Deepmind, now you have me interested in this.

ARP ODYSSEY Module - DUOPHONIC SYNTHESIZER | KORG (Canada - EN)
I love it, it obviously can't be compared to a Deepmind.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Got in my second Peaks today and patched this together: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ9aiEtA...recycledcities

(Side note: is there some way to embed Instagram videos on GS? I haven't figured it out but it would be convenient, since I document a lot of WIP that way)

Patch notes: Squarp Pyramid in Euclidean mode/Batumi clocking MI Branches, triggering both Peaks in expert/split mode, out to Tangle Quartet <Ripples, with the Benjolin triangle A output to Ripple FM input...triangle B output is going into Braids FM input, with Braids in Bell mode and the LPF Benjolin both out to the Optomix, finally out to Clouds. Heavy lifting done by the Batumi, Cold Mac, Maths, and Benjolin.

Maybe a little excited here, but it's the closest I've gotten towards some of the sounds and rhythms in my head since I started down this crazy electronic music journey, and one of the first things I've done in a minute that I actually enjoyed.
Nice job!

As to embedding instagram, I think it depends on the forum software being used, but you couldtry clicking on the ellipse on your instagram post, then clicking embed. It will give you some HTML code to copy into something else. Copy that and try adding it as a post here.

I doubt the software is capable of handling it as I can't recall seeing any instagram posts embedded.

Reptil may also be able to shed some light.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Would the DTM/CP3 Mixer (the CV one) work for mixing the signals you guys have been discussing? If not, why not?

Quote:
Interesting, and more reason to have one. I like that era of DM. I also like several aspects of his/Recoil's Bloodline album. Nothing mind blowing, but...

Like the breakdown at 2:31 of:

The roll/transition and following beat at 1:08:

This track because it reminds me of both Tom Sawyer's intro and of Pop Will Eat Itself from the era, rappy, industrial, punky of a sort:

And this track, particularly the simple opening keys, then the bass and beat:

Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Nice man! That thing sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Nice, sounds fat as f&*k.

Quote:
Yup, nice 303
Thanks guise!

Putting the x0x-heart through its paces with some ASSEEEED!!! The x0x-heart's signal chain is straight to the mixer with a bit of reverb from the FX-16. Sequenced by the Stillson Hammer mkII.

I haven't ever owned a real TB-303, but compared to other clones I've owned (FB-383, TBX-303, Rebirth) it's pretty good. I like the built-in overdrive circuit. It's like an all-in-one 303 acid machine.

Also, forgot the obligatory module listing, so here it is:
Make Noise Mysteron
Zlob THEQ
EMW Wave Compressor
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Harvestman Stillson Hammer mkII
Blue Lantern BMX
Flame FX-16
Blue Lantern Mini Shimmery
EMW Analog Drum Synth
Tiptop Circadian Rhythms
Bastl Grandpa
Bastl SPA
Audio Damage Aeverb
Pittsburgh Synthesizer Box
Pittsburgh Analog Delay
Delptronic Thunderclap
Make Noise Maths
Manhattan Analog CP3
Uoki-Toki Polivoks Filter
Doepfer A-103
Music Thing Radio Music
Synthrotek Echo
Open Music Labs x0x-heart
Feedback 106 Chorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Did you buy it as a fully built module? Or is this only sold as a DIY kit?
You can buy it fully assembled here: https://www.crowdsupply.com/open-mus...heart-eurorack

Last edited by Derp; 26th February 2017 at 07:41 PM..
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Would the DTM/CP3 Mixer (the CV one) work for mixing the signals you guys have been discussing? If not, why not?

Interesting, and more reason to have one. I like that era of DM. I also like several aspects of his/Recoil's Bloodline album. Nothing mind blowing, but...

Like the breakdown at 2:31 of:

The roll/transition and following beat at 1:08:

This track because it reminds me of both Tom Sawyer's intro and of Pop Will Eat Itself from the era, rappy, industrial, punky of a sort:

And this track, particularly the simple opening keys, then the bass and beat:

The DTM/CP3 would work, just watch the levels. The magic of that mixer is the overdrive capabilities, though overdriving CV could also be interesting.

The opening to Curse sounds like pure Wasp to me. The rest is more of your traditional ladder filter, either a Model D or the System 700 both he and Nitzer Ebb were using at the time. The bass in Christmas Island is another example of what sounds like the Wasp to me, I had a very similar sounding patch going last night. There's just a grit to the Wasp that hard to pin down. It's not distortion, it's so different different than just about everything else I have. You've got me curious, I'll may have to look at it with the scope next time I patch up.

Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Former Biscuit owner here. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but to my knowledge, nothing emulates the Biscuit perfectly in Euro. The ability to turn on/off individual bits is unique to Biscuit. I think the closest you're going to get is a Doepfer A-189-1 VBM (sixteen different bit crushing algorithms so while it won't nail the Biscuit sound, you'll have a lot of colors to play with). I think a lot of the Biscuit charm is in the other elements of the Biscuit like the way the inputs overdrive, and the filter. Like with this one I did, I barely touched the bit switches:

For that, I'd look at something like a Bastl Cinnamon or Studio Electronics SEM where you can push the inputs really hard, and have a full filter selection to go along with it.
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Former Biscuit owner here. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but to my knowledge, nothing emulates the Biscuit perfectly in Euro. The ability to turn on/off individual bits is unique to Biscuit. I think the closest you're going to get is a Doepfer A-189-1 VBM (sixteen different bit crushing algorithms so while it won't nail the Biscuit sound, you'll have a lot of colors to play with). I think a lot of the Biscuit charm is in the other elements of the Biscuit like the way the inputs overdrive, and the filter. Like with this one I did, I barely touched the bit switches:

For that, I'd look at something like a Bastl Cinnamon or Studio Electronics SEM where you can push the inputs really hard, and have a full filter selection to go along with it.
yep it was a tough sell.. but my mission is to basically just have one eurorack based synth / sound station, well integrated to itb through expert sleepers modules, sampling and arrangment though renoise and ableton and that is it. . the $ i got for the biscuit work out quite well towards some cool eurorack gear. doesn't need to be a 1 for 1 emulation. i feel like by the time i combine it with my other overdrive and filter options etc i should be able to capture a bit of the vibe and hopefully take it to some other new crazy places. I tended to use the biscuit in a rather subtle way anyway - with the bitcrushing and LPF sitting under the clean signal for extra character. ill check out that doepfer as well. geiger seems awesome but is also quite pricey - in context of how i would use it.

but true some of those other secondary fx of the biscuit are amazing and so much fun.

I love me some SEM - that studio electronics is already on my list. bastl cinnamon is new to me.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search