The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 24th February 2017
  #1801
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

@void23 are you using a fat solder tip ? Fine/thin ones are rubbish it's all about fast heat transfer so huge fat tips solder best.
A tin of Qualitek Delta Tip Tinner was a game changer in my soldering.

Do not use a damp sponge, I don't know what solder stations ship with them as they damage your tip (thermol-shock) but that's probably the plan so you buy more tips.
Old 24th February 2017
  #1802
Gear Maniac
 
loopback's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
@void23 are you using a fat solder tip ? Fine/thin ones are rubbish it's all about fast heat transfer so huge fat tips solder best.
A tin of Qualitek Delta Tip Tinner was a game changer in my soldering.

Do not use a damp sponge, I don't know what solder stations ship with them as they damage your tip (thermol-shock) but that's probably the plan so you buy more tips.
Isn't that up to personal preference? I use a weller whs40 with 0.8 pencil tip and 0.5 mm solder and i'm perfectly happy with the results for through hole and surface mount aswell. For bigger joints like potis etc. i use 1mm solder.
Old 24th February 2017
  #1803
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

@loopback, but have you tried a big fat tip ?
One man thought a horse is a great means of transport until he sat in a Ferrari
1
Share
Old 24th February 2017
  #1804
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Ge the MIDI control center installed on your PC. Make sure you have the latest firmware (earlier firmware was riddled with bugs). The v/o sequencers are set to a super high notes but you can change that in the control center. You'll probably want to set it at the lowest or 2nd to lowest octave. Also if you're clocking a modular you;ll want to set the clock to 1 pulse per step. That will also let you clock the thing from a sampler or DAW with an audio pulse which is much tighter that MIDI. The MIDI sync is still pretty high latency (at least in my rig)

Edit after reading thread: exactly what Derp said
Cheers Subdo.
Old 24th February 2017
  #1805
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Mother 32 is out of the case! Seems to be one of the inevitables in the modular world. Buy Mother 32 > Get into eurorack > Put Mother 32 in case > Buy modules > Realise how much stuff you can get in 60 hp > take Mother 32 out of case.
7
Share
Old 24th February 2017
  #1806
Gear Maniac
 
loopback's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
@loopback, but have you tried a big fat tip ?
One man thought a horse is a great means of transport until he sat in a Ferrari

I did actually. Didn't work out for me and i killed my Erica Polivoks VCF Kit in the process. Your analogy doesn't work since i'm currently using the Ferrari ... you're recommending the Mercedes G-Class
2
Share
Old 24th February 2017
  #1807
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Need an answer in the next 4 seconds (or longer):

Intellijel Quadra and Expander VS Intellijel Dual ADSR?

This is for sequenced, melodic, monophonic sounds, slow to mid tempo. Looking to ENV multiple modulation sources that affect the direct sound. I already have Maths, Peaks and Tides but Tides is usually in osc mode.
Old 24th February 2017
  #1808
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Need an answer in the next 4 seconds (or longer):

Intellijel Quadra and Expander VS Intellijel Dual ADSR?

This is for sequenced, melodic, monophonic sounds, slow to mid tempo. Looking to ENV multiple modulation sources that affect the direct sound. I already have Maths, Peaks and u but Tides is usually in osc mode.
I have the same envelope gens plus the Quadra and Expander. Quadra.
Old 24th February 2017
  #1809
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetroshift View Post
Heya, people of planet modular. I'm looking towards building a 3U rack for some ambient patches. It would be sequenced externally, hence the lack of midi/seq modules. What do you think? Does this rack any sense? I'm a newbie in euro modular, after all. https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_406776.jpg
GRAIN OF SALT, YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS WITH ONE:

Clouds is one of those ubiquitous modules that everybody seems to want to get first, but not many actually end up gelling with if that's what they start with. Maybe get something like a Grainshift to scratch your granular itch, and then a delay or reverb unit to go along with it?

Generally, when I think of ambient, I think a butt-ton of modulation. I'd say maybe swap Veils for another modulation source or two. Also, I think it might be beneficial to swap Optomix for a filter or a filter and VCA combination. An Analogue Solutions SY02 (usually about $150 secondhand) will provide a good low-pass filter, high-pass filter, and VCA all in one unit with lots of modulation destinations. Doesn't necessarily need to be that, but I think a good filter would make a great start.
2
Share
Old 24th February 2017
  #1810
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
And here I thought this was going to be a light month for me. Got two more of these plus power supplies:


Also got a couple pairs of TipTop rails pending on Muff's. The plan is to put the power and rails back into the Doepfer LC6 and sell it off to fund another Raxxess ER-20. Getting ready for yet more Eurorack growth.
Old 24th February 2017
  #1811
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
@void23 are you using a fat solder tip ? Fine/thin ones are rubbish it's all about fast heat transfer so huge fat tips solder best.
A tin of Qualitek Delta Tip Tinner was a game changer in my soldering.

Do not use a damp sponge, I don't know what solder stations ship with them as they damage your tip (thermol-shock) but that's probably the plan so you buy more tips.
I was using the chisel tip that came with the soldering station, a Hakko. A bevel tip like the Hakko T18-C2 or T18-C3 (if I go large), look better suited for hole thru work. I'll also do a better job of tinning with the new tip (newbie mistake).
Old 24th February 2017
  #1812
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
And here I thought this was going to be a light month for me. Got two more of these plus power supplies:


Also got a couple pairs of TipTop rails pending on Muff's. The plan is to put the power and rails back into the Doepfer LC6 and sell it off to fund another Raxxess ER-20. Getting ready for yet more Eurorack growth.
So are you going to take the Doepfer bus board out and put in your new rack and sell off your old one with uZeus or use the uZeus for your new rack? I think the latter is what you mean. I take it from what I've read you say previously you think uZeus is a better option to Doepfer bus. I was curious about the best option when I started especially with expanding but I just went with the cheapest uZeus option and with the Tip Top boost 3amp PSU I can power two 104hp rows Actually just ordered a set of second row rails for 126hp to allow for a couple of other modules and will see how far this can go... But will be cautious.
Old 24th February 2017
  #1813
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
So are you going to take the Doepfer bus board out and put in your new rack and sell off your old one with uZeus added or the other way around?
No, the Doepfer bus board, power supply, and rails are going back in the case so I can sell it off as a complete unit.
1
Share
Old 24th February 2017
  #1814
Gear Addict
 
zobbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
I just went and got some crap x-mas star-kit with lots of leds for about 7 euro, that way I got to practise quite alot of soldering points without the stress of breaking anything I actually want
Thanks to you and Derp for the advice. Here I go ...
Old 24th February 2017
  #1815
Gear Addict
 
zobbo's Avatar
Received Maths and Dixie II+ today.

oops
3
Share
Old 24th February 2017
  #1816
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I have the same envelope gens plus the Quadra and Expander. Quadra.

Cheers!
Old 24th February 2017
  #1817
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
@loopback, but have you tried a big fat tip ?
........Nice
1
Share
Old 24th February 2017
  #1818
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I take it from what I've read you say previously you think uZeus is a better option to Doepfer bus. I was curious about the best option when I started especially with expanding but I just went with the cheapest uZeus option and with the Tip Top boost 3amp PSU I can power two 104hp rows Actually just ordered a set of second row rails for 126hp to allow for a couple of other modules and will see how far this can go... But will be cautious.
Looks like you edited this post after I'd already started replying to it, so sorry I almost missed this.

I'm partial to the uZeus because you can push it pretty hard when you get better power supplies. My plan is to have one uZeus for every set of three 84hp rows, but I was previously at a point where I had one uZeus for each six row rack. In the latter case, out of three cases I was running, only one of them started to give me issues where I was overpowering it (crosstalk, unstable pitches, etc.) At the moment, one of my six row racks is still being driven by only one uZeus. I'm only even doing the three row per power supply thing to ensure I've got plenty of headroom to reduce the risk of problems in the future.

The six row rack being powered by the Doepfer seems to be stretched pretty thin. Also, to make sure I could put it back together if I changed power schemes, I've kept the PSU2 itself in the box, moved the buses to the outside edge, and only pulled the rails out. This makes that thing cumbersome the way it's laid out now (a big wooden box sticking out of the back of the rack). Replacing that with a pair of uZeus's will not only ensure I've got plenty of headroom, but will make my studio relocation next month easier to do. Also, after the debacle with the Synthrotek supply, I just don't want to mess with anything but the uZeus's anymore. I know they work well, so there's no sense in changing that up. I haven't had any negative experiences with the Doepfer power supply, it's just that I'd rather not have to worry about it later on.
1
Share
Old 24th February 2017
  #1819
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Excited to get off work now. Tracking info shows that the x0x-heart arrived at home!
2
Share
Old 25th February 2017
  #1820
Old 25th February 2017
  #1821
Gear Maniac
 
loopback's Avatar
 

I needed more color in my rack ...




Also need more drums and voice so i ordered the next round of DIY Stuff ... Shakmat Knights Gallop, two Synthrotek DS-M and a Befaco Even VCO ... exciting times
3
Share
Old 25th February 2017
  #1822
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar


ACIIIIIIIIID!!!
6
Share
Old 25th February 2017
  #1823
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
GRAIN OF SALT, YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS WITH ONE:

Clouds is one of those ubiquitous modules that everybody seems to want to get first, but not many actually end up gelling with if that's what they start with. Maybe get something like a Grainshift to scratch your granular itch, and then a delay or reverb unit to go along with it?

Generally, when I think of ambient, I think a butt-ton of modulation. I'd say maybe swap Veils for another modulation source or two. Also, I think it might be beneficial to swap Optomix for a filter or a filter and VCA combination. An Analogue Solutions SY02 (usually about $150 secondhand) will provide a good low-pass filter, high-pass filter, and VCA all in one unit with lots of modulation destinations. Doesn't necessarily need to be that, but I think a good filter would make a great start.
If he/she does go with Clouds though, it looks like Veils would be good to keep. Using the VCA to attenuate and control the inputs on Clouds is pretty important to it not sounding like pooh. But along with that, then he/she'd want more modulation options as said as well.
1
Share
Old 25th February 2017
  #1824
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


ACIIIIIIIIID!!!
Nice man! That thing sounds good!
Old 25th February 2017
  #1825
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


ACIIIIIIIIID!!!
Nice, sounds fat as f&*k.
Old 25th February 2017
  #1826
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


ACIIIIIIIIID!!!
Yup, nice 303
Old 25th February 2017
  #1827
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

They second Triple Sloth Panel i ordered turned up all bent n buckled, so i left it for a week between 2 pieces of wood G-clamped together and now its nice and flat again
1
Share
Old 25th February 2017
  #1828
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
x0x-heart

ACIIIIIIIIID!!!
Did you buy it as a fully built module? Or is this only sold as a DIY kit?
Old 25th February 2017
  #1829
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
I've completely fallen for Random*Source modules. They sound so flippin good. I've now ordered the Serge Wave Multipliers from them. They're bigger faceplates, but the functionality and the sound you can get from them really makes my modular sing.

And for those looking for a good starter kit, the wave multipliers may be one as the main board comes with pre-soldered SMD components. All you really need to do is solder on the jacks, pots, trimmers and some headers, fit it to the panel and calibrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
They second Triple Sloth Panel i ordered turned up all bent n buckled, so i left it for a week between 2 pieces of wood G-clamped together and now its nice and flat again
That's a bummer that it got buckled and bent! Did you order directly from NLC? I know when I did, he sent things in an envelope with just some newspaper and plastic around it.
Old 25th February 2017
  #1830
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I've completely fallen for Random*Source modules. They sound so flippin good. I've now ordered the Serge Wave Multipliers from them. They're bigger faceplates, but the functionality and the sound you can get from them really makes my modular sing.

And for those looking for a good starter kit, the wave multipliers may be one as the main board comes with pre-soldered SMD components. All you really need to do is solder on the jacks, pots, trimmers and some headers, fit it to the panel and calibrate.



That's a bummer that it got buckled and bent! Did you order directly from NLC? I know when I did, he sent things in an envelope with just some newspaper and plastic around it.
Im a Random Source fanboy too (however they are expensive)

Yes got Sloth from NLC with the usual newspaper.
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump