The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

I keep hearing about how good 'Ornaments & crime' is
So im cursing myself why i didn't purchase a PCB when i had the chance
Just went through my drawers and theres an Ornaments & crime PCB
I don't even know what I've got
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
this weird bassdrum module video passed by in my youtube feed.
I don't think it's been discussed before. It's version 2, supposed to be easier to control.
Looks an interesting module.
I think Errorinstruments really need to update their website, it looks like a big spam site at the moment.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Honestly, I don't use the Tonestar or the SV-1 very much. I've had an Arp 2600 craving for a long time and bought the pair to try to accomplish that and it does sound good, they both do but, I managed to get in on the recent run of TTSH PCB/panels and will be selling them both. I did manage to make some R2D2 type noises and some gritty bass sounds but I've been too slutty the last few months and haven't dedicated much time to it.
Let me know when you get rid of the tonestar.. if I don't have one by then, maybe we can make a deal!
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

The empty 3HP in my rack was bugging me and I wanted to get full access to all the options on the Batumi, so I ordered a Poti this morning. Of course, a few hours after I placed my order a guy from our local modular/synth group (who lives around the block from me, I think) posted a used Poti for sale.

Just want to give a quick shout to Control in Brooklyn as well. I don't order from them often but I've placed a few orders with them, and they are always super quick to get orders processed-rare that I wait more than 2-3 hours for a tracking number, and they seem to get everything to me in 2 days or so even from the other side of the country. I generally order from Perfect Circuit, but in contrast it usually seems to take PCA 3-4 days to get anything to me, and I only live 6 hours away from them.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I keep hearing about how good 'Ornaments & crime' is
So im cursing myself why i didn't purchase a PCB when i had the chance
Just went through my drawers and theres an Ornaments & crime PCB
I don't even know what I've got
You need to use the same inventory system for PCBs/Panels as you use for components! (that is, if you use an inventory system for components )
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anybody using Tiptop UZeus ? any good for 55HP ?
For my Ammo case conversion i have this idea to get a UZeus,
Remove its front panel and use the panel as a template to drill 5 holes in the bottom corner of Ammo case,
then poke the power/switch/LEDs through the holes and bolt it to the inside of the case. Would be a tidy job.

I've got three of them. The included power supply sucks. Upgrade it and the uZeus goes up to a rated 2amps. 2.2 is when crosstalk and warbly pitches start happening and 2.3 is when it craps out entirely. Honestly with the issues I've been having with the Synthrotek, one of the options I'm looking at is just getting a bunch of uZeus's working in tandem. But yeah for 55hp, uZeus easily has you covered even with the starter power supply.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
I sold my Peaks and Warps due to the confusing menu diving.

Knob per function!
Peaks I can kinda see, but Warps? Unless you load up Parasites, Warps is just two knobs, two level controls, and an oscillator switch. Even with Parasites, it's just using the oscillator button as a shift key. I'm having trouble envisioning Warps as being a confusing interface besides that weird alien language mumbo jumbo.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Already made up my mind, my first module of 2017 will be the WMD PDO mk2. Unless a Mangrove gets thrown my way. But PDO mk2 is a definite.
Why not go for a first-gen PDO? The differences are minor and the first-gens go for cheeeeeeeap.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Quote from muffs. Looks like there are 2 different PSU used.
Thanks, man! You rock for that!
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

I have just recently started a small modular with two Mother 32's and a Roland System 1m. I just picked up all four of the Aira Modules in a rack with the System 1m, and I have the 60 hp case to go with the 2 Mother 32's. I just pre-ordered the Rossum Morpheus filter, and was planning on ordering a Maths module next. Then I watched the video below.

https://youtu.be/Npvt1tJGeK0

Originally I was thinking of getting a Mi1xXOR, Wobblebug, Maths, to go with the Morpheus.

(using the UZeus for power)

Now I'm thinking a Control Forge, Disting, and Pick up a Rossum Satalite when it's released. Any suggestions?

(Mostly what I'm trying to do is get some good modulations going to the Morpheus. I think the Maths module is awesome, but like the look of the Control forge, and I don't really have room for both I don't think.)
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
But yeah for 55hp, uZeus easily has you covered even with the starter power supply.
That's all I need to hear.

Gonna have to wait a while now as the money I had for the UZEUS I used to buy some clothes (T-shirt & trapper hat), I know traitor, what on earth was I thinking.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You need to use the same inventory system for PCBs/Panels as you use for components! (that is, if you use an inventory system for components )
I have a good system for resistors and can find them very quick, not as efficient with capacitors. My system ain't perfect as I still find myself buying stuff I already have or not ordering stuff I assumed I had.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddrake View Post
I have just recently started a small modular with two Mother 32's and a Roland System 1m. I just picked up all four of the Aira Modules in a rack with the System 1m, and I have the 60 hp case to go with the 2 Mother 32's. I just pre-ordered the Rossum Morpheus filter, and was planning on ordering a Maths module next. Then I watched the video below.

https://youtu.be/Npvt1tJGeK0

Originally I was thinking of getting a Mi1xXOR, Wobblebug, Maths, to go with the Morpheus.

(using the UZeus for power)

Now I'm thinking a Control Forge, Disting, and Pick up a Rossum Satalite when it's released. Any suggestions?

(Mostly what I'm trying to do is get some good modulations going to the Morpheus. I think the Maths module is awesome, but like the look of the Control forge, and I don't really have room for both I don't think.)
Looks like you have a pretty good start going.

Before you pick anything else up though, I'd suggest taking a closer look at those Aira modules. You're likely to find at least one that you're not that fond of. Hook up the programmer to it and those modules can be repurposed to be anything from oscillators to LFO's to envelope generators, and just about everything in between.
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

The Aira modules were not a planned purchase, but at $150 a piece, I didn't think I could really go wrong. (Other than the power required to run them. For now I'm just running them off a power strip) They really do seem like a bargain for all the features they have. I have discovered I didn't buy enough patch cables in my initial planning.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have discovered I didn't buy enough patch cables in my initial planning.
Nobody does, man. Nobody does.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just stuck my name down to order PCB/Panels for these DIY modules...
Have no idea what they do but looking at the panels gives good clue....

Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Aira modules were not a planned purchase, but at $150 a piece, I didn't think I could really go wrong. (Other than the power required to run them. For now I'm just running them off a power strip) They really do seem like a bargain for all the features they have. I have discovered I didn't buy enough patch cables in my initial planning.
I have all 4 Aira Effects modules and to start with I did put them inside my case. Good thing about them is that they can be used as desktop units therefore if you need HPs you can always take them out and use that space for normal Eurorack modules

For now they are all 4 inisde a case, it's a Doepfer Monster Base with PSU3. This has two rows of 168HPs and I think in these two rows I only have 14 HPs not filled. Finger crossed... so far... I had no power issues to run those two rows including the 4 Aira FX modules. But I only started using this system during the past couple of days and I still have a few modules left to test.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm trying to load the Dead Man's Catch firmware for Peaks but I can't get the volume level right. I have adjusted the headphone output from my laptop from 65 (lower it doesn't hear) to 100 in 5 point increments but can't get it right. It blinks to say it's listening but doesn't reboot at the end of the sequence.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I'm trying to load the Dead Man's Catch firmware for Peaks but I can't get the volume level right. I have adjusted the headphone output from my laptop from 65 (lower it doesn't hear) to 100 in 5 point increments but can't get it right. It blinks to say it's listening but doesn't reboot at the end of the sequence.
I don't know about Dead Man's Catch and Peaks, but I'm not sure using the headphone out is going to work. Different impedences.

I take the wav file for the firmware update, (for Clouds) load into DAW, mute outputs to headphones and monitors, play file in DAW going through output on interface, and output on interface with 1/4" to 1/8" converter cable into modular. Then get the volume right according to the MI module and let er go.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

I upgraded firmware on clouds/tides/SMR with headphone jack on Mackie big knob.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I don't know about Dead Man's Catch and Peaks, but I'm not sure using the headphone out is going to work. Different impedences.

I take the wav file for the firmware update, (for Clouds) load into DAW, mute outputs to headphones and monitors, play file in DAW going through output on interface, and output on interface with 1/4" to 1/8" converter cable into modular. Then get the volume right according to the MI module and let er go.
Quote:
I upgraded firmware on clouds/tides/SMR with headphone jack on Mackie big knob.

Thanks. I'll try the output on my Focusrite.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Justjools- check the update instructions again - I think it should indicate "ok, I'm getting data in". Not just "ok, I'm ready to hear you out", if that makes sense. Makes setting the levels much easier.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Why not go for a first-gen PDO? The differences are minor and the first-gens go for cheeeeeeeap.
Good question. I was wondering, sonically and featurewise, what the differences were. And I was curious why he made an mk2. Was the first somehow deficient?.. Idk, but what I did like on the mk2 is the knobs are farther apart and look like a less cramped and more enjoyable experience.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Good question. I was wondering, sonically and featurewise, what the differences were. And I was curious why he made an mk2. Was the first somehow deficient?.. Idk, but what I did like on the mk2 is the knobs are farther apart and look like a less cramped and more enjoyable experience.
Not sure if he's still doing it but he used to do upgrades on the MK1 to make it a MK2. I have the trio of modules (1st gen), it was my first "complex oscillator" so to speak and one of my first modules. They make a cool set. I never use mine anymore though. It's not even in the rack.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Let me know when you get rid of the tonestar.. if I don't have one by then, maybe we can make a deal!
I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Use headphones out at around 85, the slightly boost it with a VCA.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Chords + SSM = pure modular bliss!
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Guru

Lo Fi Junky owners...question..?

do you also get that constant droning from the output if the wet signal is turned past 10 oclock..?
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Chords + SSM = pure modular bliss!
I think chord is the next generation I love it.

I've just woke up and my brain can't recall what is a SSM

Steady state modulator, super silky mangler, shuffling space manipulator
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Mmm silly me, I was pretty sure the screws I needed were M2.5 x6mm so I got a bag of M2.5 screws and a bag of Nylon washer 2.5mm
it was only a few pounds including shipping but looks like the Screws for the Doepfer case need to be maybe M3? 3mm diameter for the thread section?

I am sure I did check the size, so I checked again and the screws I used, that came with the modules do look like 2.5mm to me. Looks like the place where I ordered the bag of screws from sent me 2mm screws men if the bag has 'handwriting' on it saying 2.5mm. Mmmmmm
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search