The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
Before you get rid of it, what do you think of the E330? :P Not very much on it out there except a few bad videos and the shallow official website page, but it seems quite interesting imo!
Its wonderful. I love my E350 so having another great sounding wavetable source with two outputs is very handy. The FM mode sounds beautiful but the cloud mode is glorious.

It's quite a simple module I suppose, but th sound quality and variety is awesome.

Im a big synthtech fanboy though!
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Bang, almost a week early...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_1461.jpg  
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapedseams View Post
Another option (and I don't know if this circuit has the option) is to change the wet/dry blend - that's where the real magic lies with modulated BBD based effects. Too much or not enough of one or the other will make the effect sound less pronounced.

100% wet in a chorus will just sound like Vibrato for example.

I changed the mix resistor value on my cheap but really-quite-good Joyo Flanger pedal and it went straight from meh to Electric Mistress (well, nearly).

Anyway i'll STFU now.
Now you've got me curious: There's no wet/dry on the front panel, only a level control, bypass switch, and chorus selection (type one or two), but on the board itself, there's a tiny little trimmer mounted on one of the components. Do you think this would be at all worth the time of messing with?
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
So I'm not crazy, eh? I haven't used an LFO with it.. just some manual wiggling.. tried it with some melodic sequences and running some weird vocal samples into it.. now THAT came out cool. Drum loops are next.

Another dumb question.. picking up a Tiptop Z8000 sequencer as it can do sequencing, modulation, etc... but will likely want a quantizer so I can drive the Tonestar, etc. Don't need anything too fancy - was looking at the Blue Lantern ones.. they have a dual quantizer (barton circuit) and a quad.. any thoughts on those? the quad isn't much more but you can't have different scales per output like the dual.. not sure if I care? Thoughts?
Skip the Blue Lantern. I've got one, and it basically does a portamento before every note. Its tracking is awful.
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

This is how my Modular looks like right now
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
All that is going to be eurorack space? Hoooooo boy!
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
All that is going to be eurorack space? Hoooooo boy!
h aah ahaha aaaah ah ah
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
beautiful modules, I've had their site bookmarked for a while and often think to buy one just to accumulate as a piece of art..
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now you've got me curious: There's no wet/dry on the front panel, only a level control, bypass switch, and chorus selection (type one or two), but on the board itself, there's a tiny little trimmer mounted on one of the components. Do you think this would be at all worth the time of messing with?
Looks like the trimmers are for biasing the BBD not for blend so probably best to leave as is if you didn't build it yourself.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
According to the build document, there should be two trimmers. You have both or just one?

One controls the bias of the L output, the other the bias of the R output. Page 31 of the build doc discusses them and how to set them properly. Do you have an oscilloscope?

Speaking of scopes, picked up a big boy scope today. Turns out it's the same one @CANecreek has. I'm really not a stalker dude!
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Guru

tried really hard to make a nice tune with my Verbos harmonic osc today but that thing is so hard to squeeze into a track, it's output is majorly hot, had to attenuate heavily and it has this really unique woody tone, not easy to make music with, so un patched it out of pure frustration and plugged in the Tonestar, wow man that thing rocks, within minutes I was rocking a nice bassline with the TR8 and Deepmind doing poly fill. Tonestar through ZDSP added chorus to Tonestar heavily with a slice of verb and bang it all fell into place..Really curious about the new Tonestar now. Don't know what I'm going to do with Verbos osc..?
Old 22nd February 2017
Quote:
awesome!! they were out of stock for longer while. so ohmsonic makes them again. let us know how you like it!

i really flipped on that filter demo and wanted to buy the VCF and VCA pair, but then hesitated bcs i have tad too many euro filters as it is, and with two being Roland NOS replicas (am8109 am8060), this seemed like overkill. but damn, at that price its really hard to resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
tried really hard to make a nice tune with my Verbos harmonic osc today but that thing is so hard to squeeze into a track, it's output is majorly hot, had to attenuate heavily and it has this really unique woody tone, not easy to make music with, so un patched it out of pure frustration and plugged in the Tonestar, wow man that thing rocks, within minutes I was rocking a nice bassline with the TR8 and Deepmind doing poly fill. Tonestar through ZDSP added chorus to Tonestar heavily with a slice of verb and bang it all fell into place..Really curious about the new Tonestar now. Don't know what I'm going to do with Verbos osc..?
well, best work ive heard with it involved drones, beds and ambient. i even made a playlist of my favorite tracks some time ago when i was jonesing for one. after trying it in the store i decided its perhaps not for me. ideally, id have to try it out longer, but its an expensive exercise. in any case i don't think it's a type of sound source that would excel in roles that something like tonestar, or sh101 etc easily would.

https://soundcloud.com/clusterchord/...nic-oscillator
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Guru

I'll keep it for as long as i can and will try something extreme and weird with, probably ambient or minimal it might fit in nicer, it's a strange thing it really is..the sine outs are much nicer to work with than the mixed or dedicated wave outs..
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Guru

Starting to get a bit interested in self generating patches, probably won't try any myself but they are sometimes interesting and soothing to listen to.

Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I gotta say this is what my studio needs more than anything else. Totally jelly. I would use the crap out of that space.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
awesome!! they were out of stock for longer while. so ohmsonic makes them again. let us know how you like it!

i really flipped on that filter demo and wanted to buy the VCF and VCA pair, but then hesitated bcs i have tad too many euro filters as it is, and with two being Roland NOS replicas (am8109 am8060), this seemed like overkill. but damn, at that price its really hard to resist
Yeah that was what tipped me over, when you mentioned it a few weeks back I went to the site and saw they were under $100 and that was pretty much all I needed to give it a try; I pounced as soon as he emailed me saying he had a few in stock again. I have never seen the AMSynths ones available and have been pondering what to do with this 12hp for a while...I went back and forth, keep the VCF-303 in there, tried the Polaris (which I'm keeping in that case but it wasn't the LPF I was looking for), thought about an Aperture, a Doc Oc...and I kept coming back to the idea that I wanted a SH-101 (which I do but I'm not spending that kind of coin on a 101 for a lot of reasons).

I didn't have time to do too much with it last night but:
-great sounding for sure
-3 CV ins, 2 with attenuators and the other is V/oct
-tons of drive in those input attenuators (2 ch mixer)
-the small knobs (basically the same as the fine tune on STO or the attenuators on Intellijel products) are what they are; on one hand I could see "wanting" full sized knobs like cutoff and res (which feel great, going to be a good wiggler) but on the other I can't really see giving up more than 12hp for the feature set. So in that respect I can live with the (slightly) fiddly attenuator knobs (of course if it really bothered me I could just crank 'em up and ignore them, use other modules to attenuate).
-the illuminated Om is pretty cool; the lattice on the faceplate maybe less so (apparently fiddlestickz and I have very different aesthetic preferences); I'm one of those "don't care how the faceplate looks" guys, hence why I bought it anyway, but it is a bit ugly

Anyway thanks for the suggestion, I think this is going to be an excellent addition.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is a beautiful panel and I love filters with multiple audio ins. I almost went for the Roland 500 one just for that feature before I decided on 3 sisters.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Actually I just noticed something: on Modulargrid the RNF has all Davies knobs; so apparently there is room to mount better knobs on the attenuators if I give up the panel space. Might have to do that.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
-the small knobs (basically the same as the fine tune on STO or the attenuators on Intellijel products) are what they are; on one hand I could see "wanting" full sized knobs like cutoff and res (which feel great, going to be a good wiggler) but on the other I can't really see giving up more than 12hp for the feature set. So in that respect I can live with the (slightly) fiddly attenuator knobs (of course if it really bothered me I could just crank 'em up and ignore them, use other modules to attenuate).
If you can find some that fit you can put any knurled knobs on those. I've put them on all of my bare shafts. The main reason for me is that I can see the position of the knob in low light or when they're obscured by cables.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
If you can find some that fit you can put any knurled knobs on those. I've put them on all of my bare shafts. The main reason for me is that I can see the position of the knob in low light or when they're obscured by cables.
Yeah I just came to this realization. This is going to be great, in addition to the RNF I can cure my STO fine tune which is one of the most annoying controls in my whole system (fine tuning with it sucks). And maybe even consider knobbing up the Rubicon, it certainly has the panel space for it.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I gotta say this is what my studio needs more than anything else. Totally jelly. I would use the crap out of that space.

Dear modular friends, to be clear, in case some of you assumes those are wooden rack frames for modular units... SADLY they are not.

I built those free standing frames all around the room and that would be so much modular space it would be fantastic if I could afford to fill those racks with modular!!!

But not... those are frames to fill with Insulation Slabs (e.g. Knauf RS45) to acoustically treat the room. These will be Broadband Traps, Soffit Traps, Bass Traps. So I will be able to hear the modular sounds better

I actually have a thread with more photos of the room (a few replies down the thread) and with initial acoustic tests of the untreated room which I will update with results when acoustic treatment goes in

Room Test: Bare, Foam, Knauf, Isoacoustics... Help

The actual Modular are the Doepfer Monster Cases hidden under the white sheet for protection. That's what I meant when I said "This is how my Modular looks like right now"... locked up and hidden under protective sheets, switched off
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually I just noticed something: on Modulargrid the RNF has all Davies knobs; so apparently there is room to mount better knobs on the attenuators if I give up the panel space. Might have to do that.
I think that might look better with the MakeNoise-type knobs, but yes, I always try to use actual knobs on those little pots to see where its value is.

Knurled, Colored Cap - Small Bear Electronics

SmallBear has a nice selection of knobs.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I think that might look better with the MakeNoise-type knobs, but yes, I always try to use actual knobs on those little pots to see where its value is.

Knurled, Colored Cap - Small Bear Electronics

SmallBear has a nice selection of knobs.
Agreed or the Intellijel knobs that Thonk sells would be good too. My question now is: what size and do I need D shaft or not?

(This will demonstrate my DIY ignorance properly but) are those shaft/knobby things actual knobs? Like...do I have to remove that plastic covering to reveal the pot and see if it's D shaft or what? Never popped any of those knobs off (I've popped off Make Noise ones via the instructional video they posted). Or am I just aiming at putting the knob right over the shaft/plastic thingy?
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed or the Intellijel knobs that Thonk sells would be good too. My question now is: what size and do I need D shaft or not?

(This will demonstrate my DIY ignorance properly but) are those shaft/knobby things actual knobs? Like...do I have to remove that plastic covering to reveal the pot and see if it's D shaft or what? Never popped any of those knobs off (I've popped off Make Noise ones via the instructional video they posted). Or am I just aiming at putting the knob right over the shaft/plastic thingy?
6.4mm/or 1/4 inch shaft size.

D shaft is when the shaft of the pot is shaped like a 'D' and not fully round. In your case, they're round, so you don't want D shaft knobs.

Some knobs also have screws to screw the knob to the pot, whereas cheaper ones don't have the screws. It's best to get knobs with the screws, especially with these pots as they're not smooth and consistent and may not provide the best fit for those without screws.

You just want to ensure your knobs skirt (the outer edge of the base of the knob) don't extend over the writing on the panel, or live with not being able to see the writing.

Also, the pots may be slightly off axis from 90 degrees soldered onto the PCB or the knob may have slight inconsistencies. If so, you might experience some drag of the knob against the panel when turning in specific spots. So you might want to not put the knob all the way onto the pot to ensure smooth twisting all the way around without dragging on the panel. You'll understand when you start putting the knobs on. If you get some drag on the panel, just pull the knob out a bit until there's no drag.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
6.4mm/or 1/4 inch shaft size.

D shaft is when the shaft of the pot is shaped like a 'D' and not fully round. In your case, they're round, so you don't want D shaft knobs.

Some knobs also have screws to screw the knob to the pot, whereas cheaper ones don't have the screws. It's best to get knobs with the screws, especially with these pots as they're not smooth and consistent and may not provide the best fit for those without screws.

You just want to ensure your knobs skirt (the outer edge of the base of the knob) don't extend over the writing on the panel, or live with not being able to see the writing.

Also, the pots may be slightly off axis from 90 degrees soldered onto the PCB or the knob may have slight inconsistencies. If so, you might experience some drag of the knob against the panel when turning in specific spots. So you might want to not put the knob all the way onto the pot to ensure smooth twisting all the way around without dragging on the panel. You'll understand when you start putting the knobs on. If you get some drag on the panel, just pull the knob out a bit until there's no drag.
Very helpful, thanks!!
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Skip the Blue Lantern. I've got one, and it basically does a portamento before every note. Its tracking is awful.
Thanks, Derp.. pulled the trigger to have a guy on muffs build me an O&C.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Re: 303 & Mother

Very impressive.

P.S. I'm sure you know this but the 303 started its life as a guitar synthesizer for guitarists hence slide and accent but where is bend, hammer on and pull off - I guess they couldn't do that? It's interesting to take a model of a physical instrument and apply to it to synthesis; the history of using synthesizers to emulate real instruments and an early attempt at physical modelling but it's success is that it failed as a guitar synthesizer and was adopted for dance music for it's unique character. And now we appreciate both: synthesis for it's unique character but also it's ability to emulate instruments and everything in between.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
According to the build document, there should be two trimmers. You have both or just one?

One controls the bias of the L output, the other the bias of the R output. Page 31 of the build doc discusses them and how to set them properly
I'm only seeing one trimmer on this. The guy that built this one took some liberties with it.
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here's a pic of what the knob looks like. You can't really see it but there are little ridges that line up with the little ridges on the plastic shaft. You just have align the point to the pointer on the shaft and give it some pressure.

Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm only seeing one trimmer on this. The guy that built this one took some liberties with it.
It _could_ be that the version you have is from an older version of the circuit and board. Do you notice a square or rectangular area with a couple of holes and usually a circle inside of it, that's not populated on the board anywhere?

Sometimes build docs also specify the addition of trimmers here and there are likely unnecessary. (this was the case in the Dual Wasp I just built from Random*Source - I threw the trimmers in anyway )

And my caps came in today from Russia. Serge Resonant EQ soon to follow!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search