The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

A lot here for the price. Looks tasty :P

Modulör114 – soundmachines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRRMzn1Jxvo
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Perfect Circuit Audio's got a President's Day sale going on all weekend. PRESIDENTS10 is the coupon to get ten percent off anything that isn't on sale. Additionally, Mutable Instruments stuff is 20% off with MI20 as the coupon code.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Does anyone know anything about these 303 modules? I couldn't find a demo of the xoxcilator but it has a sub unlike the Dinsnync.

MODE MACHINES | HOME

Din Sync: The OSC303 is back! same, same and more

Doesn't even sound like a 303 in this demo but maybe just what he's doing.
Quote:
I was thinking that the sound is more the oscillator than filter and my Polaris or AMSynths Jupiter filter might get me close. But I see it's actually more the filter and you need the right VCO as well. Mmm... so would I get closish just getting the VCF then and using an analogue OSC (I have an Omikron).
Quote:
I was thinking I can do that from the sequencer on the Mother-32 that I read somewhere gets pretty close by itself.

There is also the x0x-heart that Cane mentioned if I was serious but just looking for something cheaper.

x0x-heart | Open Music Labs
Take what I say with a grain of salt as I've only just seriously investigated the 303 sound for my own rack. My experience with 303-alikes is fairly limited. I had an FB-383 (which sounds fantastic so long as it actually works ) and an ASol TBX-303 in the past (which just doesn't sound a damn thing like a 303, I think.) I've had the first-gen OSC303 for a while, but the closest I have to a 303 filter right now is an A-103. I came real close to getting a 3003, but ended up getting the x0x-heart instead, even though it was over a hundred bucks more. What I've learned in trying to get acidy sounds is that there's a lot going into them. The saw is pretty straightforward, but as previously mentioned, the square isn't really a square. The filter is a big part of the magic, but as also mentioned, the envelope shape is a huge part of it. The way the sequencer slides and how it handles accents also have a giant effect on the way the 303 sounds. In my experiments, I can get kinda close with the Stillson Hammer, but the slide isn't quite right. Same with the envelope. I just spent twenty minutes futzing with Maths and still couldn't get it there. That's why I think the best way to get the 303 is to get either an all-in-one solution like x0x-heart or M303, or to get components that were designed to work together to get that sound like OSC303 and the VCF303. Like for me, on paper the only component that was missing was the right filter, but x0x-heart filled the gap better because it's got the envelope as well as accent and slide inputs, so the guesswork is taken out. I should be able to nail it just with a good sequencer and a couple extra gate signals. x0x-heart isn't that expensive when you figure that it's a full 303 voice and you don't have to wonder if it's got everything you need. Mine just shipped yesterday, so if you want when it gets in, I was planning on putting it through its paces anyway, so I could record some demos since there don't seem to be many of them out there.

Also, keep in mind that depending on the sound you're trying to emulate, there's also the matter of getting the right distortion to match. Oldschool acid leaned heavily on overdriven Mackie channels and Rat pedals. Best way I've found to get there is with an A-119 (it can be overdriven pretty hard) and a 308 (to my ears as a guitarist, this is exactly like a Rat pedal.)
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

I was reading an interesting article on the web where a guy went through all the schematics of a 303 filter and is convinced it's 24db and that the 18db he thinks was a printing error in the original 303 manual, hes adamant the 303 is not 18db.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I was reading an interesting article on the web where a guy went through all the schematics of a 303 filter and is convinced it's 24db and that the 18db he thinks was a printing error in the original 303 manual, hes adamant the 303 is not 18db.
I thought it was common knowledge now that it was actually a 24db filter?

Truthfully, I like acid although I don't use it very often. (Ironically I have used it in one of the latest tunes I'm working on) I really don't understand the desire to faithfully emulate the 303. It's a great sound, but you can get acid sounds from all kinds of non-303's that sound fantastic as well. So, to all the 303 lovers, why go to such lengths to get close to that sound as opposed to just make acid sounds elsewhere?
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

can't you just measure the slope of the filter?
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
He's 100% correct: the TB-303 filter is a 4-pole 24dB/oct filter. One of the poles is not tuned like the other three which makes it less steep than most 4 pole filters but the schematics clearly show it.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post

Truthfully, I like acid although I don't use it very often. (Ironically I have used it in one of the latest tunes I'm working on) I really don't understand the desire to faithfully emulate the 303. It's a great sound, but you can get acid sounds from all kinds of non-303's that sound fantastic as well. So, to all the 303 lovers, why go to such lengths to get close to that sound as opposed to just make acid sounds elsewhere?
I'm all for alternate acid synths too, but synths with accent/slide behaviour are uncommon. Future rev XS, 777 have it, Moog mother has it but not really an acid machine, at least I haven't got it sounding that way yet. Probably heaps of others I don't know in modular, but common acid synths like the BS2 , rocket, and SH-101 don't.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really don't understand the desire to faithfully emulate the 303. It's a great sound, but you can get acid sounds from all kinds of non-303's that sound fantastic as well. So, to all the 303 lovers, why go to such lengths to get close to that sound as opposed to just make acid sounds elsewhere?
GUITAR ANALOGY!!! I think of it as being like the sound of a Mesa Rectifier in metal or the Marshall JCM800 in hard rock. There are TONS of amps that can make sounds just like those two. In my unpopular opinion, there are amps that have tones much better than those two. But when you get them in the right context, not only do they work well, but they're integral to that sound.

In my own defense here, the x0x-heart is coming because I don't think I've got anything currently that I consider 'close enough' to that squelchy acid sound. Going 100% for that sound (i.e. getting the interplay of the synth and the sequencer) isn't even really practical because of the way I work, I just think it's a neat novelty. Plus I had ReBirth back in the day and think it'd be neat to emulate that in modular.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought it was common knowledge now that it was actually a 24db filter?

There's something uniquely satisfying about the way the 303 grooves from one step to the next (with no shuffle mind you). In my experience most of the clones don't really nail this aspect very well which accounts for why 'accurate' 303 sounds have turned into a holy grail kind of search. Each of the clones (software included) seems to get anywhere from partially to mostly correct but that final 2% is where a lot of the special sauce lives. This all sounds hyperbolic even to me but in the end the sheer number of attempted 303 clones indicates there's something odd going on; people don't keep desperately trying to improve on what is already generally considered perfect.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

I just picked up Tides and Dual ADSR on ebay for good prices and just missed out on a Dixie II, shame. I wanted to show off - not that that's possible compared to your extensive gear but nice to share I think. I don't know where this is going and I have a bit too much modulation now but wanted compare the Dual ADSR with Doepfer A-141-2 and more interestingly see how Tides fits in with Maths. The A-111-5 is there to remind me I have a Dark Energy 1 to utilise. I expect I will get a Beatstep Pro at some point but with DE, CVpal and Mother I have 3 inputs for CV/gate for now.

What would you add or get rid off?

P.S. As much as I do enjoy sound design and playing with euro I spent the evening getting back to composing on my Juno G which was so refreshing. I guess I need a couple of days composing and a day doing sound design (and composition). The 4 day working week is coming!
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-rack.jpg  
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tides
Tides is fun. Honestly, I kinda keep forgetting to use it as a modulator because it's a really killer oscillator. It's 'just' a triangle/saw, but you can get a lot of mileage out of it just by playing with the shape control. The smoothness control just helps to spice things up.
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Guru

Does Tides have on board attenuation for it's LFO/mod side of things..?
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Does Tides have on board attenuation for it's LFO/mod side of things..?
That's a big nope.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a bit too much modulation now
naw. you always want to keep things moving!
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

After being at 6U for almost 2 years... I finally succumbed and have gone to 9U!

Akemies Castle 4 op Fm synth pushed me oner the edge... 38 hp meant a new robins egg blue skiff....

Golden orchard studios
https://imgur.com/gallery/24tqd

Sorry I just can't seem to attach pics from my phone.
Old 20th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That USA Hand Delivery pledge looks like he's kinda screwing himself on that one. The pledge is $1375, and the module's $879, so that means he has to pay for a roundtrip plane ticket, lunch for two, meals for himself, a rental car, and possibly a motel for $496. He could get lucky with that one, or it could mean that somebody like me that lives in a remote area far away from any airports could cause him to have to pay up some cash just to come meet up with me.
maybe he likes to meet the musicians in person no matter he'll lose a few bucks?

I'm also holding out for the version next year. There will NOT be a normal production model. It's these 75 ones and a few extra boards for a slightly higher price next year.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

I've been neglecting my modular for a couple weeks for other gear, but decided I'd try something new today and run the Benjolin oscillators through the Optomix (which I rarely use and haven't gelled with) for some drum sounds and came up with this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQtVQ2Ag...recycledcities. Apologies for the crap iPhone audio.

Anyhow, I was pleased, as that's one of the first things I've managed to do since making the plunge that gets away from the robot fart sounds into doing some a bit more resembling music just within my modular, and as I much prefer crafting my own drum sounds from scratch with other gear, this feels a whole lot more natural and fitting for the unpredictability of the Benjolin. I've got a MI Branches en route too, which should be a lot of fun for creating rhythms in my small system.

Speaking of how small my system is...while I have a plan for the remaining space in my case, I also have a HEK and extra rails/ears that I haven't sold, and I'd like to get my confidence up with my soldering skills. After talking with a friend tonight, I feel like it might be better to just keep the extras and use them to try out DIY stuff. So that said, where to start? I've done some basic electronics kits, some circuit bending, and some repair work like battery replacement, but I'd say my success rate is like 70/30 (fortunately only killing some kits and toys and not actual gear). Any beginning to intermediate eurorack modules I could try my hand at and not lose much if I botched it?
Old 20th February 2017
What do you have right now Accent? Could you post a modulargrid picture of your setup?
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Sooooo, i totally fell for DIY ...

... i also built Radio Music, Simple EQ *insert Neo-Matrix-i-know-kung-fu-meme here* and a Erica Polivoks VCF which needs extensive troubleshooting because i totally messed that one up

My problem is that i'm now in need of a bigger case. I think 15U of 168HP, which would almost double my current setup space, is a good start . Has anyone one of you build something like this?
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
If i may ask, whats your verdict on the Turing Machine + Penrose combination. I've got the same planned and would like to hear your experiences.

Also, why did you go for Voltages instead of Volts? To save some space i plan with Volts. Do you think the xtra space for Voltages is worth it?

regards
C.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Speaking of how small my system is...while I have a plan for the remaining space in my case, I also have a HEK and extra rails/ears that I haven't sold, and I'd like to get my confidence up with my soldering skills. After talking with a friend tonight, I feel like it might be better to just keep the extras and use them to try out DIY stuff. So that said, where to start? I've done some basic electronics kits, some circuit bending, and some repair work like battery replacement, but I'd say my success rate is like 70/30 (fortunately only killing some kits and toys and not actual gear). Any beginning to intermediate eurorack modules I could try my hand at and not lose much if I botched it?
Many people ask this, but there are a number of modules that could be classified as good beginner/intro to DIY modules. What is it that you feel you're lacking in your current rig?

Quote:

... i also built Radio Music, Simple EQ *insert Neo-Matrix-i-know-kung-fu-meme here* and a Erica Polivoks VCF which needs extensive troubleshooting because i totally messed that one up

My problem is that i'm now in need of a bigger case. I think 15U of 168HP, which would almost double my current setup space, is a good start . Has anyone one of you build something like this?
I've got and built the Turing Machine, Volts, Pulses and just finished the Penrose. I've not used them together yet, but any quantizer with the Turing Machine is a good call IMO. I've also got a total of space of 15U at 84hp that was DIYd and a Mantis which has 6U at 104hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
If i may ask, whats your verdict on the Turing Machine + Penrose combination. I've got the same planned and would like to hear your experiences.

Also, why did you go for Voltages instead of Volts? To save some space i plan with Volts. Do you think the xtra space for Voltages is worth it?

regards
C.
I don't have Voltages, but you do get three additional "bit manipulators" over Volts. Volts only has 5, so it adds the weighted values from the Volts to output the first 5 bits if I remember correctly, while Voltages has 8 and can do all 8 bits from the Turing machine.

As mentioned, I've not yet used the Turing Machine with the Penrose, but typically have used the TM and Volts with the Doepfer quantizer. I wouldn't be as concerned with specifying a scale a la the Penrose with the TM only because it could spit out a lot more interesting CV voltages that are better handled via an entire scale. (which you can obviously do with the Penrose BTW) I have noticed the Penrose struggles with quantization when you start getting up there in octaves, even after calibration. It seems fine in the lower two or three, but above that starts to get a bit "pitchy" to my imperfect ears. There are some additional firmwares that I've not yet dug into yet as the kit now comes with a 12-bit DAC instead of the 8-bit that I think many of the firmwares were built for. There are some recent, unanswered questions at Muffs how to handle these new 12-bit DAC ICs.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
What do you have right now Accent? Could you post a modulargrid picture of your setup?
This is what I have:

And this is what I'm working towards:

Old 20th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

regards
C.
Not that much experience yet to really talk about since i finished the penrose built on friday night and it's not really calibrated yet. Still missing a scope so i calibrated using an old guitartuner. I guess i'll know more by the end of this week.

As for Voltages see the reply from ImNotDedyet plus the fact that it has two outputs with attenuators made it for me ... and i almost forgot to mention that it has more blinky led stuff going on which is ...

So, back to my quest of planning a diy monster+1 case. I was thinking of ~70 modules with a power consumption of around 6A at +12V. Can anyone recommend a good (DIY) PSU/Busboard combination?
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

I have another question for the crew here regarding Roland Scooper. It's easy to use and get some cool (if not really weird) results out of it.. but the main controls for 'scatter depth' and 'scatter type'... well, I can't find anything that explains exactly what the hell they do, exactly.

Anyone figure this out? What are the 'scatter types'? How does the 'depth' interact with the type?
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, back to my quest of planning a diy monster+1 case. I was thinking of ~70 modules with a power consumption of around 6A at +12V. Can anyone recommend a good (DIY) PSU/Busboard combination?
I'm not aware of a DIY that can handle the 6A. Doepfer and L-1 make PSUs for 1.2A tops I believe, so you'd need a few of them.

Synthrotek and 4ms may be able to do a bit more juice?

Quote:
This is what I have:

And this is what I'm working towards:

Given these, there are a number of DIY options I could see, but it may come at the expense of needing more space. A spring verb (Music Thing) or delay (RYO, Befaco, Synthrotek, MST maybe?) or combo to replace the Pico DSP.

Zlob Modular has a nice module called the Entropy for 2 or 3 hp for S & H and noise that could replace part of kinks. (it really needs the 3hp face plate though) You could also build some other logic modules to replace that other functionality in kinks, again at the expense of additional space.

RYO Paths might be able to get you more interesting things than Branches, although not necessarily random. Combine it w/ S & H though and you may have something. It's a 3 PCB build, so it will take some time, but it's pretty straight forward.

Is the second Peaks for LFO/EG duty or drum sequencing? If drums, I don't know of any decent DIY drum triggers although I'm sure there are some. If LFO/EG duty, there are a ton of options. Look at Befaco, Synthrotek, etc.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not aware of a DIY that can handle the 6A. Doepfer and L-1 make PSUs for 1.2A tops I believe, so you'd need a few of them.

Synthrotek and 4ms may be able to do a bit more juice?

Given these, there are a number of DIY options I could see, but it may come at the expense of needing more space. A spring verb (Music Thing) or delay (RYO, Befaco, Synthrotek, MST maybe?) or combo to replace the Pico DSP.

Zlob Modular has a nice module called the Entropy for 2 or 3 hp for S & H and noise that could replace part of kinks. (it really needs the 3hp face plate though) You could also build some other logic modules to replace that other functionality in kinks, again at the expense of additional space.

RYO Paths might be able to get you more interesting things than Branches, although not necessarily random. Combine it w/ S & H though and you may have something. It's a 3 PCB build, so it will take some time, but it's pretty straight forward.

Is the second Peaks for LFO/EG duty or drum sequencing? If drums, I don't know of any decent DIY drum triggers although I'm sure there are some. If LFO/EG duty, there are a ton of options. Look at Befaco, Synthrotek, etc.
I've got 6U spare in the form of a HEK and extra rails/ears I was going to sell, so any DIY modules would go there and would stay out of my existing case plans. I'm mostly just interested in doing some DIY modules to get my soldering confidence up and to add some extra functionality on the cheap. So, at least for the moment, I'm really most interested in beginner to intermediate level kits that are inexpensive enough that I won't cry about the lost money when I inevitably botch the assembly.

I would like to build a Turing Machine and a Radio Music, but depending on the level of complexity that might have to wait until I've got a few builds under my belt.

The twin Peaks are there for both EG/LFO duties and drum duties...it's such a versatile module that it seems sensible to have two in the rack.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I have another question for the crew here regarding Roland Scooper. It's easy to use and get some cool (if not really weird) results out of it.. but the main controls for 'scatter depth' and 'scatter type'... well, I can't find anything that explains exactly what the hell they do, exactly.

Anyone figure this out? What are the 'scatter types'? How does the 'depth' interact with the type?
Yeah, good luck with that!

I know there's a method to the madness, but I really don't know what that method is. All I know is that so long as it gets a steady trigger and the scatter controls are tied to LFO's, then you can get some great results with it. At least it's not as unwieldy as the Scatter on the TR-8. I really don't understand how they expected that to be used in a rhythmic context.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got 6U spare in the form of a HEK and extra rails/ears I was going to sell, so any DIY modules would go there and would stay out of my existing case plans. I'm mostly just interested in doing some DIY modules to get my soldering confidence up and to add some extra functionality on the cheap. So, at least for the moment, I'm really most interested in beginner to intermediate level kits that are inexpensive enough that I won't cry about the lost money when I inevitably botch the assembly.

I would like to build a Turing Machine and a Radio Music, but depending on the level of complexity that might have to wait until I've got a few builds under my belt.

The twin Peaks are there for both EG/LFO duties and drum duties...it's such a versatile module that it seems sensible to have two in the rack.
In that case, I think a Turing Machine might fit the bill. It's not the easiest build as it's dual PCBs, but since you've already done a couple of things, as long as you take your time, watching polarity you should be fine. Only you can answer the question if it's cheap enough to not be upset if you do happen to hose it.

Pulses is SMD if you do want expanders. I don't know the Radio Music - may be simpler than the Turing? There's always the Microphonie as well.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Yesterday i was very tempted to buy a "Klee" sequencer kit,
However today i bought a Korg Odyssey module Rev 1 instead

I know I'm a traitor........
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search