The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Whoops.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindMachine View Post
Whoops.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I read and understand your desire to try to stay 100% Synthesizers.com but . . . I think your system would benefit most from seeking out "a bit of strange" so . . .

I highly recommend the Happy Nerding FM AID! Only $200 and will add a lot!
Happy Nerding | Analogue Haven
Also the Happy Nerding 5U Super Sawtor gives you two super saw circuits for only $200: Happy Nerding | Analogue Haven

There are tons of interesting filters out there that you may find would add to your capabilities? Consider a Synth Tech MOTM-440 (converted to MU), Moon 505 or the upcoming 517, Oakley Croglin, STG Sea Devils, etc, etc Also consider a resonator filter like the Grove Audio or COTK one?

The Oakley Deep Equinox or COTK Phase Processor would be cool?

Adding a trigger sequencer would greatly improve what you can do rhythmically. The Gate Math will help a lot but in addition something like the Moon 563, COTK C961S or STG Trigger Store etc will give you access to more immediately 'playable' rhythms.

And . . .while the Q119 is a great sequencer (I still miss the one I used to have) I think a large system like yours would be better served by a more complex/advanced/powerful sequencer! My favorite that I've used would be the Moon 569 + 569ESB +569EGB + 569LE although the GRP R24 keeps haunting me and I may NEED to get one some day!
I think you and I chatted a little bit about it once (maybe on YouTube messages?) but I ended up getting the Super Sawtor for my Euro. It's a dumb module, but kinda useful for when I need that generic JP-8080 supersaw, but don't want to try to emulate it with a stack of oscillators (too organic!) FM Aid has been on my list for a while. ...in Euro.

That's the problem is that it's almost too hard to justify diversifying the 5u because so much of the fun stuff in 5u is already available or I already own in Euro format. Plus outside of DotCom, 5u is kinda pricey. I had an Analog Craftsman passive attenuator that was $200 when it was new. How is that even remotely sane?

Thanks for the suggestion on Gate Maths, though. I forgot that existed. Same with LFO+.
Old 17th February 2017
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on Gate Maths, though. I forgot that existed. Same with LFO+.
Have you looked at the newst module, the Q179 Envelope++? Another powerful and compact module! If you were thinking of getting another envelope anyways, consider the Q179 instead?
Q179 Envelope++ module - Analog Modular Synthesizers for Electronic Music by Synthesizers.com

Consider getting more than one since you can daisy chain two (or more!) of them to create some pretty complex stuff! Here's two being used as an 8 step sequencer:
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
<--is waiting very impatiently on Perfect Circuit now. I WANTZ!!!
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Have you looked at the newst module, the Q179 Envelope++? Another powerful and compact module! If you were thinking of getting another envelope anyways, consider the Q179 instead?
Q179 Envelope++ module - Analog Modular Synthesizers for Electronic Music by Synthesizers.com

Consider getting more than one since you can daisy chain two (or more!) of them to create some pretty complex stuff! Here's two being used as an 8 step sequencer:
That looks awesome. It's kinda weird seeing DotCom step away from the east coast thing, but I can still totally dig this. Thanks for pointing this one out!
Old 17th February 2017
NNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

it's a kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-morphing-vco
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Lets talk VCA's

I already projected the Intellijel Quad VCA for my little Eurorack.

However, i pondered wether there might be specific sounding audio VCA available. Afterall Amps are a very important part of a synths sound. We touched this topic briefly with audio mixers (CP3, etc).. but what about classic or not so classic VCA's?

Thats something hard to gather from MG, thus i am asking for experiences here.

Regards
C.
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
NNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG
just WOW!
Old 17th February 2017
Quote:
NNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

i was waiting for this for 5 bloody years. more then any other module. and now it shows up, when i just blew my budget on pcm81, rhodes and fvkton of spare parts for my synths . i will definitely try to get in on the second train, i.e. for the production model ($879, nov2017) before March 15th.

in the end, fvck hundred bucks more or less, looking at the big picture i am really happy that Paul Schrieber has succeded and this is happening, and extra backers will allow for reaching the extended goal of making the wavetable edit/create sofware too. he is one of my favorite euro designers, together with Tony Stark.. i mean Rolando, from Makenoise

now onto my eurocases checking for potential victims, that will have to go to..

here's more E370 demos:

Last edited by clusterchord; 17th February 2017 at 11:33 PM..
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
NNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

That USA Hand Delivery pledge looks like he's kinda screwing himself on that one. The pledge is $1375, and the module's $879, so that means he has to pay for a roundtrip plane ticket, lunch for two, meals for himself, a rental car, and possibly a motel for $496. He could get lucky with that one, or it could mean that somebody like me that lives in a remote area far away from any airports could cause him to have to pay up some cash just to come meet up with me.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

However, i pondered wether there might be specific sounding audio VCA available. Afterall Amps are a very important part of a synths sound. We touched this topic briefly with audio mixers (CP3, etc).. but what about classic or not so classic VCA's?

Regards
C.
In my experience, I think you're right. Different VCA's have different sounds. Not a fan of the sound of the Streams or the Moddemix, but I love the Malekko and Doepfer VCA's for what they do to sound.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

E370 earlybird backer here, like Clusterchord, I've been waiting a long time for this...

I think I can sell my recently purchased E330 now - it now seems redundant..
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Regards
C.
My favourite VCA is the Vermona TwinVCAmp.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
NNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Ummmm...wowza! Sounds great! Things huge though!

Quote:

Regards
C.
There are definitely different sounds from different VCAs. I recently discovered this myself. At this point, I have a Zlob VnIcursal which is the worst sounding of my VCAs, for audio anyway. (fantastic for CV) Doepfer A-135 I think? (I can't remember the numbers, but the matrix mixer/VCA) Intellijel uVCA and WMD Multimode VCA. I actually haven't done a very scientific comparison, but in casual use so far I prefer the overall sound quality of the WMD. The uVCA and Doepfer sound about the same.

Keep in mind chips used for OpAmps and circuit component quality can definitely impact the audio. I haven't looked into what chips/components are on each of the ones I have, but I don know the L-1 Quad VCA is pretty specc'd up for an audio-quality VCA.

Then, there's also how does the VCA handle an audio input and the CV to control that audio. Can it process the CV fast enough on quick envelopes or does it sound bad? Does it cut out any frequencies? Try some quick LFOs or envelopes on some different sounds - bass-y, treble-y and mid and see how they compare.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know anything about these 303 modules? I couldn't find a demo of the xoxcilator but it has a sub unlike the Dinsnync.

MODE MACHINES | HOME

Din Sync: The OSC303 is back! same, same and more

Doesn't even sound like a 303 in this demo but maybe just what he's doing.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Regards
C.
There are some classic VCAs in Euro. First off there's the Oakley Classic VCA (Krisp1 builds them in the UK) which is the 2600 VCA. There's the AJH which has jumpers for serious overdrive (now there's a front panel switch module for the jumpers) which is of course Model D. Aion now makes a 902. AMSynths has a 2600 too but I've never seen that one, don't know if it's ever available. There was another guy doing DIY of all the 2600 modules who also had a VCA, name slips my mind. Bubblesound makes an OTA based one (not sure of its lineage). Roland 530 (not sure which Roland design this comes from) obviously. There's a Polivoks from Harvestman and Erica. FCUK has a System 100 style VCA. And there's a Moog Taurus VCA on their Raging Bull VCF/A and Moog Rogue on the Vogue. And a plethora of 303 VCAs: M303, x0xHeart come to mind.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Does anyone know anything about these 303 modules? I couldn't find a demo of the xoxcilator but it has a sub unlike the Dinsnync.

MODE MACHINES | HOME

I have a DinSync.info VCF-303. It has the main envelope and accent envelope on board (you feed it gate) and a CV In, its only real departure from the 303. Mine has a problem since I bought it with the CV input normalling but I haven't sent it to Sweden yet because I've been using it. It's the guy behind the RE-303 project so the fidelity to an 'actual 303' is pretty good. Never tried the VCO but I can say that using other VCOs I could get very close to the saw (Rubicon sigmoid out for the win) but I never got the square right even with serious attention to pulse width modulation. So I guess I'm saying don't get the VCF-303 without the VCO-303. I ended up with an Avalon but that was overall annoyance with modular 303. I thought it would be SO AWESOME to have the bits and pieces to mix and match but in the end it annoyed me and I just wanted a really, really good 303 in one box. YMMV.
Old 18th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Regards
C.
I've never heard anything so rich and creamy and classy as the Verbos Tone controller, it's only a single amp/vca but wow does it sound the balls..
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone out there with a Tonestar 2600 (fiddlesticks?) that can give me a sanity check?

Is the output of it a bit less hot than some other modules? Mine sits between a Mother 32 and a Lifeforms SV1 and it's definitely the quietest of the 3 with the level cranked. I don't suspect there's anything wrong (it functions properly), it's just not a hot output.. and curious if it's mine or the modules are all like that.
Old 18th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
E370 earlybird backer here, like Clusterchord, I've been waiting a long time for this...

I think I can sell my recently purchased E330 now - it now seems redundant..
Before you get rid of it, what do you think of the E330? :P Not very much on it out there except a few bad videos and the shallow official website page, but it seems quite interesting imo!
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

MODE MACHINES | HOME

DinSync makes some really good stuff when it comes to 303 emulations. The Youtube video is actually just the oscillator. While there was nothing "special" about the osc on the 303, it did have some weird shaped, not-actually square, square waves. Hence why he calls it the not-so-square, square. He's also added in a triangle and the linear FM. The Youtube was just the osc.

So if you listen to the soundcloud demos, he's actually using the filter as well, but he's using some of these new features as well. I'd say they're one of the tops in 303 emulations in Euro.

As ngarjuna said above, the Re-303 project is a faithful reproduction of the actual 303, PCB and components as close as possible. If he's behind it, you know he knows his 303's. And if there's anyone to take acid advice from on this board, it's ngarjuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
There are some classic VCAs in Euro. First off there's the Oakley Classic VCA (Krisp1 builds them in the UK) which is the 2600 VCA. There's the AJH which has jumpers for serious overdrive (now there's a front panel switch module for the jumpers) which is of course Model D. Aion now makes a 902. AMSynths has a 2600 too but I've never seen that one, don't know if it's ever available. There was another guy doing DIY of all the 2600 modules who also had a VCA, name slips my mind. Bubblesound makes an OTA based one (not sure of its lineage). Roland 530 (not sure which Roland design this comes from) obviously. There's a Polivoks from Harvestman and Erica. FCUK has a System 100 style VCA. And there's a Moog Taurus VCA on their Raging Bull VCF/A and Moog Rogue on the Vogue. And a plethora of 303 VCAs: M303, x0xHeart come to mind.
Was going to come back and say I've heard a LOT of good things about the AJH VCA. Now I don't have to. But it's definitely an option to explore as well.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Built the Penrose Quantizer tonight. Great little module. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one. This is a very easy build with very detailed instructions. Might be a good beginner in DIY project.

Ran across the Z8000 in doing some sequencer searching today. Looking for something with different capabilities than what I currently have: BSP, SQ1 and Stepper Acid. This looks right up my alley, very Rene/PP like. Potentially 10 sequencers in total, all potentially clocked differently and able to use as just a plain ole CV source as well...anyone high or low on this? (I don't like the new TipTop looks, BTW, but I'm also not opposed to getting something that's ugly if it's functionality or sound is in my wheel house)
Old 18th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Anyone out there with a Tonestar 2600 (fiddlesticks?) that can give me a sanity check?

Is the output of it a bit less hot than some other modules? Mine sits between a Mother 32 and a Lifeforms SV1 and it's definitely the quietest of the 3 with the level cranked. I don't suspect there's anything wrong (it functions properly), it's just not a hot output.. and curious if it's mine or the modules are all like that.
it's got a dedicated output volume pot vca, I've not noticed it being soft, pretty hot mostly..
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

If you're into 303 and modular make sure you also have a look on the Avalon!
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I have a DinSync.info VCF-303. It has the main envelope and accent envelope on board (you feed it gate) and a CV In, its only real departure from the 303. Mine has a problem since I bought it with the CV input normalling but I haven't sent it to Sweden yet because I've been using it. It's the guy behind the RE-303 project so the fidelity to an 'actual 303' is pretty good. Never tried the VCO but I can say that using other VCOs I could get very close to the saw (Rubicon sigmoid out for the win) but I never got the square right even with serious attention to pulse width modulation. So I guess I'm saying don't get the VCF-303 without the VCO-303. I ended up with an Avalon but that was overall annoyance with modular 303. I thought it would be SO AWESOME to have the bits and pieces to mix and match but in the end it annoyed me and I just wanted a really, really good 303 in one box. YMMV.
I was thinking that the sound is more the oscillator than filter and my Polaris or AMSynths Jupiter filter might get me close. But I see it's actually more the filter and you need the right VCO as well. Mmm... so would I get closish just getting the VCF then and using an analogue OSC (I have an Omikron).
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was thinking that the sound is more the oscillator than filter and my Polaris or AMSynths Jupiter filter might get me close. But I see it's actually more the filter and you need the right VCO as well. Mmm... so would I get closish just getting the VCF then and using an analogue OSC (I have an Omikron).
Glide and Accent from the sequencer also provide a big part of the sound.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Glide and Accent from the sequencer also provide a big part of the sound.
I was thinking I can do that from the sequencer on the Mother-32 that I read somewhere gets pretty close by itself.

There is also the x0x-heart that Cane mentioned if I was serious but just looking for something cheaper.

x0x-heart | Open Music Labs
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In general I would agree, yes, the filter is probably more essential than the oscillator. Having the envelope and accent is actually very important to the 303 sound too; not that you can't dial that in (more or less) with a couple of envelopes and VCAs but that's what got annoying to me: having to constantly reinvent the wheel to do stuff that's simple, basic and fundamental to the 303; having to reset every step on my sequencer for gate length; etc. Even if I didn't toss out the coin for an Avalon (which is worth every penny and then some honestly) I still think I'd ultimately be happier with a TT-303 or x0xb0x than my modular 303 setup. I will probably keep the DinSync filter anyway because I've found interesting, modular-ish ways to abuse it but I don't really use it for acid anymore. Though, as I've said, not because it didn't live up to the sound; it definitely does. I would put Paul on the short list with dudes like Brian (Abstrakt) and Robin (Devilfish) of guys who really, really know their **** when it comes to 303s.

The Omikron seems like it would be good for feeding a VCF-303. Like I said you can play around with PWM (when I experimented, pitch tracking combined with a very slow, range limited LFO was the closest I could get iirc) to try to mimic the defective square but the sawtooth is much easier to nail (or perhaps the 303 sawtooth is just that much less distinct). But if you're really dead set on modular'ing your 303 sounds then I'd recommend planning to add the OSC-303 mark II at some point (note: the mark I doesn't act like most modular VCOs, it has to be triggered; which wouldn't play nicely with how I like to do things in my system; the mark II just outputs square/saw all the time like most Euro VCOs) for the full experience.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search