The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th February 2017
Melu Instruments Freak can now be purchased from a retailer in USA:
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/...nts-freak.html

More coming up...
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post

More coming up...
Very interesting voice, when will they be in stock at Perfect circuit..?
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Guru

Also when will there be a Modulargrid update including Melu and this osc..?
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
How useful and cool is the Pingable feature of the 4ms PEG, vs a non Pingable LFO? Enough that it wouldn't be redundant to have a PEG as well a Batumi? What are the more interesting Clock Sources that you're using to Ping a PEG?
Probably, it's not quite the same as a traditional RESET on an LFO which is what I'm assuming Batumi has (never touched a Batumi but examining the faceplate). On PEG the entire envelope is based on the ping time whether that be manually entered (tap tempo on the buttons) or clocked and then its multiplication or division. That determines the actual length of the envelope loop unlike more traditional looping envelopes where DECAY/RELEASE determines the loop length.

You can definitely send 'more interesting' clock sources to PEG but she doesn't like it; it's one of those 4ms clocks that listens to the first N pings (I think it's 2) and determines the period on that basis. So...if your clock changes too quickly (like a shuffled clock, for example) you will get interesting, glitched out envelope times; which can be cool or annoying. But generally speaking PEG prefers steady clocks; there are plenty of ways to freak out the clock inside of PEG anyway (CV over div/mult, EOF and EOR outs) though altering the clock IN can be an interesting way to manipulate PEG too.

Where PEG destroys 'simple' LFOs like Batumi is modulation (CV over CURVE, DIV, SKEW, CYCLE) and cross modulation (OR). Being able to modulate curve, div, skew and cycle gives you basically every conceivable way to effect change on your LFO. OR opens up a whole universe of possibilities by bringing the above-mentioned features, times two, together with two simple little attenuverters. There are other good dual cross-mod LFOs (Vulcan, Maths come to mind) but the tempo sync'd nature of PEG is pretty unique in that field.
Old 15th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Very interesting voice, when will they be in stock at Perfect circuit..?
Soon.

Quote:
Someone put the module in there a few moments after Freak was announced.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-melu-freak

Modulargrid doesn't allow to add a new manufacturer name before it has more than one module out. This is why Melu Instruments isn't in the manufacturer list.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Congrats Melu! Nice to see you gaining retailers.

On another note... Braids vs. Piston Honda Mk. II?

I do appreciate the sheer scope of different stuff I get from my Braids, but I can't help but wonder if the more specialized Piston Honda would actually yield more interesting results. I do have the Shapeshifter already, so it would be my second dedicated wavetable module, even though the Shapeshifter can be argued to be pretty different.

I'm guessing some of you guys have used both and can offer an informed opinion
Old 15th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post

I do appreciate the sheer scope of different stuff I get from my Braids, but I can't help but wonder if the more specialized Piston Honda would actually yield more interesting results. I do have the Shapeshifter already, so it would be my second dedicated wavetable module, even though the Shapeshifter can be argued to be pretty different.

I had a Honda pretty quickly after getting into modular. Not knowing what I was doing yet made me not really like it and I eventually sold it. This is probably the only module I have ever regretted selling because now that I know a little more I wish I had it back (and no, I'm not asking for it back @Derp)

Sound and feature wise braids and PH are 2 totally different animals IMO, and the answer is both, not one or the other.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
How useful and cool is the Pingable feature of the 4ms PEG, vs a non Pingable LFO? Enough that it wouldn't be redundant to have a PEG as well a Batumi? What are the more interesting Clock Sources that you're using to Ping a PEG?
Pinging is pretty much necessary with the PEG. The space between pings is what sets the overall envelope length. It helps to think of PEG as kind of like a shapeable LFO where the speed is set by clock signals, but the cycles can be triggered individually. PEG works best with a steady clock, and then the envelope triggered by whatever you usually trigger your envelopes with. I don't see a Batumi making what it does redundant.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post

More coming up...
Oh god no... why did you do this to me!?

I just got my income tax refund today. Not only is this now available at the site where I normally do my modular purchasing, but it's cheaper than buying it direct, AND there's a Valentine's Day discount!?

$287 is too good a cost to say no to. I just bought it.

Last edited by Derp; 15th February 2017 at 08:04 PM..
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-melu-freak

I added it after Kraku announced it. Couldn't help it. It was just too exciting an idea to not lust for.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post

I have both. As mentioned by Slaughtr, I have his old Piston Honda. I find myself using the PH more often. Don't get me wrong, Braids is a nice module and has a lot of great sounds in it, but it feels (to me at least and I know that I'm in the minority on this opinion) that it's trying to be too much and never really excelling at anything. Jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing.

Thing to keep in mind with the PH though, is that it can do pretty sounds, but it's a howling angry beast by default. This isn't like Flame or Waldorf's wavetables where nearly everything that comes out of them is glassy, soft, and gentle. Piston Honda is mean as hell. It'll beat you up, take your lunch money, and steal your bike.

Old 15th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I have both. As mentioned by Slaughtr, I have his old Piston Honda. I find myself using the PH more often. Don't get me wrong, Braids is a nice module and has a lot of great sounds in it, but it feels (to me at least and I know that I'm in the minority on this opinion) that it's trying to be too much and never really excelling at anything. Jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing.

Thing to keep in mind with the PH though, is that it can do pretty sounds, but it's a howling angry beast by default. This isn't like Flame or Waldorf's wavetables where nearly everything that comes out of them is glassy, soft, and gentle. Piston Honda is mean as hell. It'll beat you up, take your lunch money, and steal your bike.
Thanks, that really helps. Most of the time I'm not really after very aggressive sounds, so it kind of seems I'd be going against what it does best. Besides, the Shapeshifter can do glitchy and aggressive quite well.

Thanks for the input, guys. I got my answer In like, what, 20 minutes
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Control Modular is having a 10% off sale for the next two days. Use checkout code EROS.

THANKS! Just scored a Malekko SND/RTN. If it works out, I'll get another.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Just snagged one of these:

$130 for it, so way less than expected.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

hey Derp where do you buy those from please..??
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow, those things are huge, depth-wise.

Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey Derp where do you buy those from please..??
Go to BST on Muff Wiggler. I bought mine secondhand, but the guy that sells them has a thread there. Search for 'FS 106 Chorus by Feedback'. They're 185 euros shipped anywhere in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Wow, those things are huge, depth-wise.

He does have a slim version available now:

Old 16th February 2017
Gear Guru

You take the red pill or you take the blue pill..

sounds insane, I'm going to locked up with this thing for a while, I should be sleeping but what the hell...
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

I came DAMN close to blowing my whole tax refund on modules, but somehow I showed restraint. Got the 106 Chorus, the Melu Freak, and two of the credit cards paid off. Yay! I'm holding off on the Tonestar 8106 for now (that was after all, the whole reason I got the 106 Chorus) but plan on getting one mid to late next month.

...though I was naughty and rewarded myself for actually paying off credit cards by getting one of these (don't worry, I didn't pay for it with credit):

I didn't originally set out to get a whole 303 module. I was actually close to snagging a 3003 that Control Modular had for $190, but in trying to figure out if the combo of that and my OSC303 would be enough to get me that acid sound, I started doubting the capabilities of my envelopes at getting the right curve. Then I remembered that for a little over a hundred more, I could get a whole 303 module with filter, envelope, VCA, and an extra oscillator. With the mix input, I'm thinking I can feed my OSC303 into it and have two-oscillator 303 for a little extra weirdness. Paired with my 308 (Rat emulation), I think I'm going to be in acid heaven. ...because that's a sound that I totally need making synth pop and power noise.

...but Everybody Needs a 303!
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

I'm curious, does anyone else have or had the Circadian Rhythms? Once you've learned it, have you been pretty satisfied with it? It's mostly pretty straightforward, but I've been lazy and haven't taken the time to scare up a manual to learn the other things yet (like how to get it to spit out more than eight steps per pattern or how to chain patterns.) It keeps beckoning to me with its rhythmic green lights and push-button interface. Thinking of the x0x-heart driven by the Stillson Hammer while the CR pumps out some 909 sounds is getting me all moist in my naughty bits.
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Did y'all see the Livewire AFG is back in production?!

Livewire Synthesizers Audio Frequency Generator (AFG) : Control Voltag…

Also on confirmed on their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LivewireSynthesizers/
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Did y'all see the Livewire AFG is back in production?!

Livewire Synthesizers Audio Frequency Generator (AFG) : Control Voltag…

Also on confirmed on their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LivewireSynthesizers/
Livewire was reborn like 2 years ago already when they (I think they is Monorocket but I'm not 100% sure of that) announced that they were going to start building Livewire designs again. The AFG was announced way back then; nice to see it finally materialize. The whole rollout has been very slow but the Chaos Computer and Frequensteiner were first so it seemed only a matter of time before the AFG made it. AFG has been on my list (not very high on my list but still) since pretty much the beginning.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

I always wondered if something useful could be done with those 60hp Moog cases.

But man, that is a crowded interface. Not to mention that power jacks on the back side only barely fit on 2hp modules, so that is going to be a fun one to cram into a bunch of flying bus boards. I think you could power this with like a uZeus and even a starter power supply, but cramming all that inside, it's going to be like a freakin' jack in the box exploding all over the place if you ever have to rearrange that case.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm curious, does anyone else have or had the Circadian Rhythms? Once you've learned it, have you been pretty satisfied with it? It's mostly pretty straightforward, but I've been lazy and haven't taken the time to scare up a manual to learn the other things yet (like how to get it to spit out more than eight steps per pattern or how to chain patterns.) It keeps beckoning to me with its rhythmic green lights and push-button interface. Thinking of the x0x-heart driven by the Stillson Hammer while the CR pumps out some 909 sounds is getting me all moist in my naughty bits.
You need Stepper Acid bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Livewire was reborn like 2 years ago already when they (I think they is Monorocket but I'm not 100% sure of that) announced that they were going to start building Livewire designs again. The AFG was announced way back then; nice to see it finally materialize. The whole rollout has been very slow but the Chaos Computer and Frequensteiner were first so it seemed only a matter of time before the AFG made it. AFG has been on my list (not very high on my list but still) since pretty much the beginning.

Been trying to get sound samples of the AFG, but there don't appear to be too many decent ones in my half-hearted search.

It did cause me to see if the Frequensteiner was re-released as well, and that makes me happy that it has. That thing sounds amazingly squelchy!
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
nbasedlifeformv1/media/IMG_6294_zpspoaw9ooi.jpg.html][/URL]
Just wondering, what happens when you're left with a 2 inch Gap in your case like on the top row in this pic? Do you go mad with GAS for 2" modules, or only people with OCD?
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You need Stepper Acid bro!
Ooh! Squelchtastic!
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I guess what I'm wondering is for the DotCom users, long term plan is to get up to a full 64-space system. Besides an LFO++ or two, another VCA, another Envelope, and a Gate Math, what would you add?

...and yes, I'd kinda like to keep it DotCom. I had a mixed system before in 5u in the past and wasn't exactly happy with it.
I read and understand your desire to try to stay 100% Synthesizers.com but . . . I think your system would benefit most from seeking out "a bit of strange" so . . .

I highly recommend the Happy Nerding FM AID! Only $200 and will add a lot!
Happy Nerding | Analogue Haven
Also the Happy Nerding 5U Super Sawtor gives you two super saw circuits for only $200: Happy Nerding | Analogue Haven

There are tons of interesting filters out there that you may find would add to your capabilities? Consider a Synth Tech MOTM-440 (converted to MU), Moon 505 or the upcoming 517, Oakley Croglin, STG Sea Devils, etc, etc Also consider a resonator filter like the Grove Audio or COTK one?

The Oakley Deep Equinox or COTK Phase Processor would be cool?

Adding a trigger sequencer would greatly improve what you can do rhythmically. The Gate Math will help a lot but in addition something like the Moon 563, COTK C961S or STG Trigger Store etc will give you access to more immediately 'playable' rhythms.

And . . .while the Q119 is a great sequencer (I still miss the one I used to have) I think a large system like yours would be better served by a more complex/advanced/powerful sequencer! My favorite that I've used would be the Moon 569 + 569ESB +569EGB + 569LE although the GRP R24 keeps haunting me and I may NEED to get one some day!
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Thanks, but of course, I wanted the green one...

Vintage King has the green one..
Tiptop Audio Mantis 2x104HP Eurorack Case - Green - Vintage King Audio
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I read and understand your desire to try to stay 100% Synthesizers.com but . . . I think your system would benefit most from seeking out "a bit of strange" so . . .

I highly recommend the Happy Nerding FM AID! Only $200 and will add a lot!
Happy Nerding | Analogue Haven
Also the Happy Nerding 5U Super Sawtor gives you two super saw circuits for only $200: Happy Nerding | Analogue Haven

There are tons of interesting filters out there that you may find would add to your capabilities? Consider a Synth Tech MOTM-440 (converted to MU), Moon 505 or the upcoming 517, Oakley Croglin, STG Sea Devils, etc, etc Also consider a resonator filter like the Grove Audio or COTK one?
Didn't reply since you said 100% dotcom, but since JlR is here...

I concur on the FM Aid and Croglin. They give me a ton of character in my MU dotocm Arrick system.
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Maniac
What the.. After deciding the Piston Honda MKII is not for me just yesterday, I've today done a completely irrational 180 and bought one used.

I did hear some less noisy demos from it, though. Most of them are just "Let's modulate everything with audio rate signals!!", but stuff like this is nice:

https://soundcloud.com/unease-1/piston-honda-mkii-beat
https://soundcloud.com/unease-1/smoothpiston
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search