The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th February 2017
  #1591
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
Seen this thing yet? Looks really cool if the price is right, kind of like the radio music but with v/octave and better audio quality if I'm not mistaken! Looks lovely aswell!

ONE - Tiptop Audio
Looks intriguing, that's for sure. I don't know if there's necessarily overlap with Radio Music though since RM is intentionally weird. My understanding with RM, though I've never messed with this capability myself, is that you can dig into the OS and tweak it to do things like one-shots and pitch control, but there's already other modules capable of that sort of thing.

What I'm saying is that everyone should get a Radio Music. They're cheap and they're fun.
Old 14th February 2017
  #1592
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Looks intriguing, that's for sure. I don't know if there's necessarily overlap with Radio Music though since RM is intentionally weird. My understanding with RM, though I've never messed with this capability myself, is that you can dig into the OS and tweak it to do things like one-shots and pitch control, but there's already other modules capable of that sort of thing.

What I'm saying is that everyone should get a Radio Music. They're cheap and they're fun.
The Disting Mk3 can do pretty much the same thing, and probably more once you dig into the config files. I have to try the trigger mapping against samples at somepoint.
Old 14th February 2017
  #1593
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Can I just say that the Verbos Tone controller is a magnificent line to modular pre amp, it sounds so rich and classy, friggin awesome module..

I have my OP1 output going into it and then off to Vermona balanced outs module and it sounds friggin beautiful..

4
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Can I just say that the Verbos Tone controller is a magnificent line to modular pre amp, it sounds so rich and classy, friggin awesome module..

I have my OP1 output going into it and then off to Vermona balanced outs module and it sounds friggin beautiful..

Wow, just looking through those photos... Door Stops as an OP-1 stand is super clever!

Still pissed I can't find that TipTop case anywhere in the U.S. (everyone still has it as "pre order".)
1
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1595
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Wow, just looking through those photos... Door Stops as an OP-1 stand is super clever!

Still pissed I can't find that TipTop case anywhere in the U.S. (everyone still has it as "pre order".)
Perfect Circuit has orange in stock
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/...is-orange.html
1
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
Perfect Circuit has orange in stock
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/...is-orange.html
Thanks, but of course, I wanted the green one... I'm really trying not to get it in the first place as I really want to expand to a foldable 12U case I can travel with (such as Enclave, Elite, Dark Modular, mdrlcase) but all of those are just so expensive at $1000-$1200... I almost sold my Octatrack just to get one, but can't justify an empty wooden box with power being as valuable as the technology packed into an Octatrack!

So I was going to settle for the TipTop case since it was cheap and I would be able to at least play out live locally with my two rows of modules patched (I currently have two of the Synthrotek "skiff boats" which I hate. Too awkward to carry while patched, and other issues with them.)

So, still trying to figure out the direction I'll be going in...
1
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1597
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I really like this little track, it's so simple and has something I can't quite put my finger, really fun vibe..




Drums are all programmed into OP1 using the step sequencer.

OP1
Verbos Tone Controller
TipTop Z DSP
Vermona balanced outs

6
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1598


Did a little modular jam video. Hope it's cool to share. Beats are done by ableton!
9
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1599
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I really like this little track, it's so simple and has something I can't quite put my finger, really fun vibe..


Def a fun little beat. I love your videos what do you use for video editing? I was trying to use iMovie and it's such a POS. Ended up just importing iPhone video into Logic again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post


Did a little modular jam video. Hope it's cool to share. Beats are done by ableton!
Always cool to share. We need more videos in this piece. What are you using to sync Live with the modular?
1
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1600
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Thanks, but of course, I wanted the green one... I'm really trying not to get it in the first place as I really want to expand to a foldable 12U case I can travel with (such as Enclave, Elite, Dark Modular, mdrlcase) but all of those are just so expensive at $1000-$1200... I almost sold my Octatrack just to get one, but can't justify an empty wooden box with power being as valuable as the technology packed into an Octatrack!

So I was going to settle for the TipTop case since it was cheap and I would be able to at least play out live locally with my two rows of modules patched (I currently have two of the Synthrotek "skiff boats" which I hate. Too awkward to carry while patched, and other issues with them.)

So, still trying to figure out the direction I'll be going in...
Don't you work at Control Voltage? They had some for a bit - not sure about green though.

Truthfully, the color is just on the stands, so you're really not going to see much of the color anyway.

Truthfully #2 , I'm not sure I'd really use it to play out regularly. Perhaps the occasional show once or twice a year, but it's really not nearly as sturdy as a dedicated travel case and I have doubts of its ability to hold up over time taking it out frequently. They certainly do the trick for at home/in the studio on the cheap though.
Old 14th February 2017
  #1601
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post


Did a little modular jam video. Hope it's cool to share. Beats are done by ableton!
Well done. Dig the finger drumming!
Old 14th February 2017
  #1602
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Thanks, but of course, I wanted the green one... I'm really trying not to get it in the first place as I really want to expand to a foldable 12U case I can travel with (such as Enclave, Elite, Dark Modular, mdrlcase) but all of those are just so expensive at $1000-$1200... I almost sold my Octatrack just to get one, but can't justify an empty wooden box with power being as valuable as the technology packed into an Octatrack!
Yeah, tell me about it. Why do you think I stick with cheap Raxxess cases and TipTop rack/power solutions? Even $490 for an LC9 seems a bit much when that's enough to fund a six row rack, the rails, and the power. No wonder so many of us into modular are so ensconced in DIY.

Quote:
(I currently have two of the Synthrotek "skiff boats" which I hate. Too awkward to carry while patched, and other issues with them.)
So I take this admission to mean you don't work for Synthrotek anymore?
1
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1603
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Control Modular is having a 10% off sale for the next two days. Use checkout code EROS.
1
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Don't you work at Control Voltage? They had some for a bit - not sure about green though.

Truthfully, the color is just on the stands, so you're really not going to see much of the color anyway.

Truthfully #2 , I'm not sure I'd really use it to play out regularly. Perhaps the occasional show once or twice a year, but it's really not nearly as sturdy as a dedicated travel case and I have doubts of its ability to hold up over time taking it out frequently. They certainly do the trick for at home/in the studio on the cheap though.
No, I've never worked for Control Voltage (but would like to.) I've been out of work for 6 years now with a very brief stint at Synthrotek...

Unfortunately, based on my past experience, most people say I am "over qualified" so very hard for me to find work. I was depending on all of my freelance stuff to get by, but even that has dried up a bit (though I do have one big composing job coming up end of the year. Was supposed to happen a few months ago but got pushed back due to rewrites of the script.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, tell me about it. Why do you think I stick with cheap Raxxess cases and TipTop rack/power solutions? Even $490 for an LC9 seems a bit much when that's enough to fund a six row rack, the rails, and the power. No wonder so many of us into modular are so ensconced in DIY.



So I take this admission to mean you don't work for Synthrotek anymore?
Correct, I no longer work at Synthrotek. I stormed out in anger and never looked back... I won't go into it here, but I'm sure you could dig around about the extreme politics of Synthrotek (though there was much more to it than even that!)
1
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1605
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Ive not been on here much as i have a new job,

Going to focus on DIY for a while as and when i can.

Couldn't get the Triple Sloth to work correctly (think its a faulty Op-amp or two),
So ordered another main board plus another Panel and PCB set so eventually ill have 2 triple sloth modules.
Ive put a Mouser order in for more Sloth components and the tactile switches are now in-stock for Ornament & crime so i ordered 8 instead of 2 so maybe ill be building more O&C in the future
Payed for 2 Panels (Pusher & Dual LFO) from Marcus Korb, his modules look lovely.
Benjolin, Ornament & crime, SMR, x0x Heart and Melody Mill aluminium panels are on their way
Joined a Facebook group buy for 200 Thonnikon jacks
2
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1606
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Def a fun little beat. I love your videos what do you use for video editing? I was trying to use iMovie and it's such a POS. Ended up just importing iPhone video into Logic again.
Just using iMovie, there are quite a few different versions floating about some of them are really awful, the one have is with the purple and black star as app icon, not sure of the version, but it's dead simple like me that's why I use it..

Hey Cane I was wondering where you had been lately, well done on the new job, or commiserations which ever is applicable..
Old 14th February 2017
  #1607
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Yes I'm perfectly happy not working but that won't pay the mortgage
3
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1608
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Correct, I no longer work at Synthrotek. I stormed out in anger and never looked back... I won't go into it here, but I'm sure you could dig around about the extreme politics of Synthrotek (though there was much more to it than even that!)
They support the monarchy? I f**king knew it.
2
Share
Old 14th February 2017
  #1609
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I wish there were better video editing apps out there, especially for throwing together just some decent animations. I use Xaos to generate fractal animations for my videos and Vegas to edit and tweak, and it still takes about a good hour to an hour and a half to get that crap pasted together not including rendering and uploading time. Plus Xaos is limited; eventually I'm going to run out of good fractal images.
Old 15th February 2017
  #1610
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I wish there were better video editing apps out there, especially for throwing together just some decent animations. I use Xaos to generate fractal animations for my videos and Vegas to edit and tweak, and it still takes about a good hour to an hour and a half to get that crap pasted together not including rendering and uploading time. Plus Xaos is limited; eventually I'm going to run out of good fractal images.
I have so many cool ideas for videos but don't know what programs to use or how to use them so I am stuck using boring old imovie, after a while you can do some weird stuff with it like abuse the transitions so they become layering mixer of sorts, there are some tricks but it's very limited..
Old 15th February 2017
  #1611
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Ok. I gotta give iMovie another chance. I get easily frustrated with learning curves. I did manage to cobble together some transitions. My issue was that when I tried to put a mp3 bounce of the mix and the .MOV from my phone together in iMovie when I uploaded to YouTube there was no sound.
Old 15th February 2017
  #1612
Lives for gear
 
pr0gr4m's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
...eventually I'm going to run out of good fractal images.
It's a fractal...they never run out!
4
Share
Old 15th February 2017
  #1613
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Ok. I gotta give iMovie another chance. I get easily frustrated with learning curves. I did manage to cobble together some transitions. My issue was that when I tried to put a mp3 bounce of the mix and the .MOV from my phone together in iMovie when I uploaded to YouTube there was no sound.
You have to import your track as audio from itunes into imovie, there should be a small menu bottom left hand side that has itunes in it with othe things like transitions etc..drag your song from the itunes list that opens into the window, then you drag your visuals from your desktop or folder whatever over the top of the audio and then you should have two lanes, one audio in green and the other film/video above it and then you start editing by dragging the film around and adding stuff.. when it's done hit the share button at top, save it to your HD and then when finished rendering, should take a couple of mins, then open youtube and upload, select your movie which should now be an mp4 and away you go..
1
Share
Old 15th February 2017
  #1614
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I have so many cool ideas for videos but don't know what programs to use or how to use them so I am stuck using boring old imovie, after a while you can do some weird stuff with it like abuse the transitions so they become layering mixer of sorts, there are some tricks but it's very limited..
I'm using Divinci Resolve now days. Pretty powerful and best of all, it's free unless you want to start integrating with a dedicated desk.
1
Share
Old 15th February 2017
  #1615
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Ive not been on here much as i have a new job,

Going to focus on DIY for a while as and when i can.

Couldn't get the Triple Sloth to work correctly (think its a faulty Op-amp or two),
So ordered another main board plus another Panel and PCB set so eventually ill have 2 triple sloth modules.
Ive put a Mouser order in for more Sloth components and the tactile switches are now in-stock for Ornament & crime so i ordered 8 instead of 2 so maybe ill be building more O&C in the future
Payed for 2 Panels (Pusher & Dual LFO) from Marcus Korb, his modules look lovely.
Benjolin, Ornament & crime, SMR, x0x Heart and Melody Mill aluminium panels are on their way
Joined a Facebook group buy for 200 Thonnikon jacks
Congrats on the job buddy!

Sucks about the Sloths! :( Having two will be good for you though.

You've got a lot on the docket!

I just finished my Zlob Entropy. Really nice having a 2hp S & H with white, pink and brown noise as well as a random LFO-like thingie. Have to place it in the rack carefully though as it peeks out from the 2 hp.

Penrose Quantizer kit arrived today. That, the Squid Axon from NLC and the R*S Res EQ are my next projects.

Then, I _think_ I slow down.
1
Share
Old 15th February 2017
  #1616
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
You have to import your track as audio from itunes into imovie, there should be a small menu bottom left hand side that has itunes in it with othe things like transitions etc..drag your song from the itunes list that opens into the window, then you drag your visuals from your desktop or folder whatever over the top of the audio and then you should have two lanes, one audio in green and the other film/video above it and then you start editing by dragging the film around and adding stuff.. when it's done hit the share button at top, save it to your HD and then when finished rendering, should take a couple of mins, then open youtube and upload, select your movie which should now be an mp4 and away you go..
Thanks.
Old 15th February 2017
  #1617
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
It's a fractal...they never run out!
With Xaos, they kinda do. There's only a handful of formulas available and there's a point when you're zooming in where it stops fractalizing and just becomes pixels. That's why my vids zoom in close on the fractals, and then stop to reverse themselves.
Old 15th February 2017
  #1618
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'm using Divinci Resolve now days. Pretty powerful and best of all, it's free unless you want to start integrating with a dedicated desk.
HO LEE FUK!Thanks a ton for pointing this one out. Haven't tried it yet, but a free video editor that looks to be on par with Vegas is what I need in so many applications. For home use, I hate Sony's upgrade system and have been locked into an ancient version for a long time because of it. At work, we've flirted with the idea of doing video, but never been able to justify the cost of something like Vegas for something that we didn't know whether or not was going to work. Downloading now, thanks!
Old 15th February 2017
  #1619
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
So in an effort to convince myself that selling the DotCom would be a bad idea, I've got a track brewing that consists of nothing but DotCom samples including the percussion. What I'm noticing about when I do sound design on the DotCom is that while the sounds do end up rather huge sounding, they're rather vanilla for the most part. ...but in a good way if that makes sense. Like the sounds are very basic and unexciting, but they're solid. Something about my approach to the DotCom system leads me to 'normal' sounds. The song isn't even close to finished, but as it stands, it's got this very powerful feel to it. I'm realizing that when I stick to an East Coast signal path on the Euro, it's still got at least something unusual to it even for patches that are supposed to be basic.

So here's what I'm thinking as a plan: I might be moving the studio back to the living room next month. (I'd have to deal with my mother being obnoxious anytime I'm making noise, but I get a lot more space out of it.) If I do, then I think I can get the DotCom in a better position so that it will be just as accessible as my Euro is now. I think it might be a good idea to start leaning on the DotCom for most of the basic and traditional sounds (basses, leads, etc.) and reserve the Eurorack as the intentional weirdness machine (like how it was planned when I first started on this little modular adventure.) As has pointed out, yeah the DotCom is freaking huge for what it does, and patching is a chore compared to Euro, but there's no sense going out of my way to hunt down euro oscillators that sound like the Q106's, but probably cost a lot more when I've already got a bank of these things.

So I guess what I'm wondering is for the DotCom users, long term plan is to get up to a full 64-space system. Besides an LFO++ or two, another VCA, another Envelope, and a Gate Math, what would you add?

...and yes, I'd kinda like to keep it DotCom. I had a mixed system before in 5u in the past and wasn't exactly happy with it.



https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/241344
Old 15th February 2017
  #1620
Lives for gear
 

How useful and cool is the Pingable feature of the 4ms PEG, vs a non Pingable LFO? Enough that it wouldn't be redundant to have a PEG as well a Batumi? What are the more interesting Clock Sources that you're using to Ping a PEG?
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump