The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 12th February 2017
It's funny. The main sound in the video is TB303.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
yeah I can't see the practicality of such a massive system, way way too distracting for me, unless you were doing sound creation everyday for a living for movies or something, then sure walk up to that all day and start making noise, but as a studio tool it's far too expansive imo, interesting there aren't many patch cables patched in, funny the bigger systems the less cables you tend to see..I think sometimes these things are done by collectors who collect for collectors sake..there are quite a few synth/keyboard collectors on this site who only collect and don't use..
Don't tell me that if you won the lottery, you wouldn't have a system twice that size.

Also, saw that you joined the cult of Morpheus. Looking forward to hearing something from it.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

I wanna get 1 or 2 of the Manhattan Analog CP3 Mixer just for simple Mixing duties,
mostly Oscillators that would go to a Filter and stuff like that...anyone anything to say?

Thanks
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasariStudios View Post
I wanna get 1 or 2 of the Manhattan Analog CP3 Mixer just for simple Mixing duties,
mostly Oscillators that would go to a Filter and stuff like that...anyone anything to say?

Thanks
It's a great little 3-channel mixer for that purpose. It can add a bit of harmonic distortion if the main out is past three quarters or so. Cheap and small, and can be DIY'd as well.

I dig mine.
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:

Thanks
I have a STG .MIX available, which is also a CP3 clone mixer, if interested, PM me.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
uhhm..
Oooh... me likey! Shame cases like that are DIY only.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like euros size, I find the 5U stuff a bit too big
Same. Anyone wanna buy a DotCom system?
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
They're great. Never looked at a mixer as something that could add character, and yet it does just that.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Same. Anyone wanna buy a DotCom system?
What's in the system? I don't really "need" more 5U but . .. it's almost Valentines Day and I'm prone to buy anything just to distract myself from the horror . . . the horror . . . .
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Ken McBeth has just posted on Facebook
"Dual Osc Mkll, Single Osc Mkll, Dual TR Filter, Dual TR/Diode Filter, Dual SV Filter, Tri RM and other 3U Crack a coming!.....some already physically built!"
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey why does that Maths look so different in that Modulargrid screenshot,^ is there a new version coming out with that faceplate..?? if so I would be tempted as the old one is uber confusing to me..
I friggin HATE the Make Noise font. Just terrible. I want to get a greyscale panel for my Mysteron.
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Ken McBeth has just posted on Facebook
"Dual Osc Mkll, Single Osc Mkll, Dual TR Filter, Dual TR/Diode Filter, Dual SV Filter, Tri RM and other 3U Crack a coming!.....some already physically built!"
Colin benders has a whole row of Macbeth in his giant case, i always see him tweaking it a lot in his live jams, he must really like them oscillators/filters
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
I friggin HATE the Make Noise font. Just terrible. I want to get a greyscale panel for my Mysteron.
yeah it's unnecessarily 80's looking and complicated to my eyes, I can't work with it, as much as I'd like to try some more of their stuff I have dodgy eyes and need stuff to look simple..the 0 coast is bad enough..
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Don't tell me that if you won the lottery, you wouldn't have a system twice that size.

Also, saw that you joined the cult of Morpheus. Looking forward to hearing something from it.
me too..
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

I did a little demo of Just Friends configured as a harmonic oscillator. It's very simple, no melodic sequence just a little LFO modulating CURVE and bringing in the various harmonics by hand with a mixer. I compressed the mixer sum about 3 db because the dynamics are a little crazy when you are stacking up all the outs. Otherwise this should give you a good idea of the unprocessed sound.

Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
What's in the system? I don't really "need" more 5U but . .. it's almost Valentines Day and I'm prone to buy anything just to distract myself from the horror . . . the horror . . . .
https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/241344

This is in eight rack frames (8 spaces each) that are in two Raxxess ER-20's with a QPS-1, and two wiring harnesses (one for each rack.)
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Thanks Fiddlestickz.

This seems to be exactly what i am looking for.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-bu...t-s-chalkboard
The Tonestar 2600 also has an octave switch
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I'm 99% sure that's Cyrus Rex's rig.
I was taking another look at that, and I don't think that's Cyrus Rex. Cyrus Rex is six rows high and the thing Fiddle posted is nine. I'm very curious now as to whose it is.

And on an unrelated note, it looks like I'm quickly approaching Cyrus Rex's size. Cyrus Rex looks like it's about 2,436 hp (the top row in the middle has rack units, so it's not a full 2,520 hp) and I'm at 1,916 hp. I'm thinking if I put off my plans to pay off the credit cards down, I can get 2,520 hp by the end of the year. To be fair though, I think there's a lot more money invested in Cyrus Rex because of the custom case and there being a lot more high-dollar modules (I think there's a whole row of Cwejman in there.) I'm not sure if my goal to outdo Cyrus Rex is more awesome or sad yet. I'll let you know how I feel by the end of the year.

Don't think either of us can top this system, though:

Size aside, I'm impressed with this one just for his sheer commitment to Doepfer modules.

Last edited by Derp; 13th February 2017 at 07:53 PM..
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Found it! That system actually belongs to Beermaster (used to hang out here on GS, but now lives on Muff's.)

You ready to be impressed? That's just one wall of his studio. Here's everything I can find:

EDIT: Can't seem to get the damn thing to embed (because he's using PhotoBucket maybe?) so here's the Muff Wiggler post on this Euro selection: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...r=asc&start=31

But there's more! Beermaster was into 5u long before Euro:

I believe he's got more, but it's hard to track down which photos are his and which aren't in a Google search.
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I was taking another look at that, and I don't think that's Cyrus Rex. Cyrus Rex is six rows high and the thing Fiddle posted is nine. I'm very curious now as to whose it is.
Is it Martin Gore's ?
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Not seeing a whole lot of love or mentions for the 4ms DLD in either this years' or last years' threads. I got curious after stumbling across Ben Hex's video and him claiming it was one of the best Euro modules he's come into contact with, which IMO is pretty damn high praise.
It was the Ben Hex video that put me off it, don't get me wrong it was a great video but it just looked too complex to me, to many holding in knobs and pressing things in sequence to obtain modes.
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Just got my last module for a while, an Octocontroller. Unfortunately the damn thing came with the old firmware and is pretty useless in that state; it only supports a 1ppqn clock and the arpeggiator is pretty badly out of tune. An FTDI cable should be here tomorrow so hopefully, this thing will work out with the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I think my Octo has the old firmware as well. For me it's not a big deal, I usually run a slow clock for wogglebug and PEG (yeah yeah, PEG can divide...but I sometimes like to run PEG at /8 of 1 ppqn clock tyvm). Am I missing any other features?
Ok I asked a few days ago and got no responses. I went back and RTFM'ed just in case but found nothing. Can you guys tell me how I would know what firmware I am running under? I'd just try the new features and see if they work but I can't find where it is explained how to use them. Sorry if this is noobville but help a brutha out.
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Big week of modular for me. Got invited to play 3 shows in the next 30 days, and they will be my first shows live with my modular.

This week I'm getting delivered the following:

Seamoss VCF 20 - Cheap (about $60) low pass filter with drive
Batumi
Make Noise Rosie
SSSR Mult DIY kit
2hp Attenuator to fill the last 2hp in my first case!
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Ok I asked a few days ago and got no responses. I went back and RTFM'ed just in case but found nothing. Can you guys tell me how I would know what firmware I am running under? I'd just try the new features and see if they work but I can't find where it is explained how to use them. Sorry if this is noobville but help a brutha out.
No in fact it's a tough question. I had to recall where I read this because someone in the MW thread suggested a method that the dev ended up saying won't tell you. But I finally found it, it's buried in the MW thread on the Octocontroller (which has since had its thread title updated to the FW update heh). This is per the manufacturer:
Quote:
Quickest way to test would be to see if your module has any of the new features of the v1.1 Firmware.

As an example - under the v1.1 Firmware - a simultaneous click of the Edit and Offset Quantize buttons will cause the blue LED on the selected Output to flash to show that it has been muted.

You could try any of the 3x simultaneous click combinations listed in the v1.1 section of the ADE-32 manual.
I just tried it on mine (keep forgetting to test it, I have thus far been happy with a 1ppqn clock but what the hell, who doesn't want more features) and for me pressing those simultaneously doesn't do squat. So I'm guessing I have the old firmware. Not shocking, I bought mine second hand. Guess one of those update doodads is in my future...
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
The Tonestar 2600 also has an octave switch

I should know that I have one..
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Head

Seen this thing yet? Looks really cool if the price is right, kind of like the radio music but with v/octave and better audio quality if I'm not mistaken! Looks lovely aswell!

ONE - Tiptop Audio
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
Seen this thing yet? Looks really cool if the price is right, kind of like the radio music but with v/octave and better audio quality if I'm not mistaken! Looks lovely aswell!

ONE - Tiptop Audio
I'm tempted. Had my eyes on the Pico drums but this looks a lot more usable instead of one knob to do everything and having to use an eternal app for loading samples. I do wish they included some indicator for which file you're playing, even if it was just LED combos.
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
It was the Ben Hex video that put me off it, don't get me wrong it was a great video but it just looked too complex to me, to many holding in knobs and pressing things in sequence to obtain modes.
Maybe I need to re-watch the video then and pay closer attention. (I usually just "listen to videos" at work while doing something else) I've come to the conclusion that I'm not into a bunch of menus and crazy button combinations. Some, I can deal with. IMO, Mutable got it right on Clouds and Rings. Much more than that is too much of a hassle though.

I'd thought that the DLD had enough without doing all kinds of crazy though...
Old 14th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post

ONE - Tiptop Audio
thank link won't load for me, but I've seen the instagram video it looks pretty cool, a great fill the gaps module and we can all use a few of those..
Old 14th February 2017
Gear Guru

some new pics..

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search