The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Batumi definitely has attenuation on board. I use it all the time. It's in the expert firmware..

slider 1 = fine tune rate
slider 2 = output attenuation
slider 3 = CV input attenuation
slider 4 = phase
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
All great advice here. Especially on the case front. Get the biggest one you can afford, and don't settle for the Mogue case.
Or you can just do DIY, buy some rails and make some ends! That has been my route in.
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
It does, actually. Check out the alternate/expert firmware.

EDIT:

"The zoom mode changes drastically: instead of a fine control, it now allows to set four different parameters for each channel, including the fine control. The zoom mode acts only on the last channel modified; to select another channel, move its slider a little bit. When long-pressing on the mode button, the LED corresponding to the focused channel will blink.

Slider 3 sets the CV attenuation"

http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_..._expert_fw.zip

Great to know, thanks!
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Wait, what? Batumi doesn't have attenuation on board. If I'm wrong I'll be very happy since I have one on the way and all I'll need to finish my rack is an quad attenuator to pair with it.
what..?? I believe I asked what modules do have on board attenuation..??
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
what..?? I believe I asked what modules do have on board attenuation..??
Right, I was mistaken in thinking that Batumi does NOT have on board attenuation. I'm half right in that the stock firmware doesn't allow it, but the expert firmware adds the functionality of attenuators per channel, among other things.

Does anyone find the expert firmware hard to use? Seems like it makes a very intuitive module a bit harder to decipher.
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Guru

I like knowing what modules help you cut down on buying other modules, like I like big synth voices like the Tonestar and Atlantis, Braids etc because they have on board envelopes and sometimes vca's as well, LFO's with on board attenuation goes along with that philosophy which I like..
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like knowing what modules help you cut down on buying other modules ... LFO's with on board attenuation goes along with that philosophy which I like..
Agree completely.

Modulators with attenuation on outputs are excellent ... I should add PEG, Kermit to my previous list too.

Apart from output attenuation, those modules with attenuators / attenuverters for CV inputs also achieve a similar result in reducing the need for dedicated attenuation / CV utility modules.

Most of the Makenoise modules have these kind of input, whereas few Synthtech modules do (and therefore need a decent ratio of attenuators nearby in the case).
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Agree completely.

Modulators with attenuation on outputs are excellent ... I should add PEG, Kermit to my previous list too.

Apart from output attenuation, those modules with attenuators / attenuverters for CV inputs also achieve a similar result in reducing the need for dedicated attenuation / CV utility modules.

Most of the Makenoise modules have these kind of input, whereas few Synthtech modules do (and therefore need a decent ratio of attenuators nearby in the case).
PEG is on my radar it was it's functionality which when reading about it the other night got me thinking about others with the same feature, I like PEG and will likely get one sometime this year..
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Ahh the good guys at UPS are fast these days ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I got one of these, it's cool.
For a 'utility' module, it's very rad. Main reason I got one is for the trick where you patch different waves into each input, and then switch between them at audio rate. Having the waves out of tune is pretty cool because it leads to sounds that are sync-ish, but more wild.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Octocontroller successfully updated, though the instructions about leaving it unpowered were wrong. Nice to have a clock multiplier now; Was able to set up a nice patch with random ratcheting rhythms using the A-150 and Peaks.

Changes in the 1.10 are in the manual ...

Quote:
1) NEW FEATURES
• External clock resolution can now be selected from 1, 4 or 24 PPQN.
• The ADE-32 now has two clock modes. Choose between internal clock mode where the ADE-32
runs from its own internal clock or external clock mode where the ADE-32 will not run unless a
clock source is present at the external clock input.
• Switching clock modes when no external clock is present can be used for manual stop/start control.
• The 2 blue bar/beat LEDs reverse out to show when the ADE-32 is running under external clock.
• Each output can now be muted individually. The blue edit LED flashes to indicate a muted state
on the currently selected output.

2) CHANGES
• Quantized (0-1V) or unquantized (+/-5V) S&H CV types can now be set locally, per output.
• Pulses, gates and loops are now unipolar 0-5V.
• Gate 1 and 2 lengths are now 1/16, 4/16, 8/16 and 12/16 respectively.
• LED indicator behaviour standardised to 3 flashes for all option and global settings
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
It does, actually. Check out the alternate/expert firmware.

EDIT:

"The zoom mode changes drastically: instead of a fine control, it now allows to set four different parameters for each channel, including the fine control. The zoom mode acts only on the last channel modified; to select another channel, move its slider a little bit. When long-pressing on the mode button, the LED corresponding to the focused channel will blink.

Slider 3 sets the CV attenuation"

http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_..._expert_fw.zip
Sorry. I screwed the pooch. Completely forgot that functionality was in zoom mode with the Expert Firmware. I rarely use the zoom mode, so it was off my radar. My bad for speaking incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Right, I was mistaken in thinking that Batumi does NOT have on board attenuation. I'm half right in that the stock firmware doesn't allow it, but the expert firmware adds the functionality of attenuators per channel, among other things.

Does anyone find the expert firmware hard to use? Seems like it makes a very intuitive module a bit harder to decipher.
And yes, the expert firmware definitely changes things up. I have to refer to the manual a bunch for the finer details of the different modes.

Zoom mode wasn't working properly for me prior to the latest expert firmware, so I never used it. I may have to re-discover it now that it's been fixed.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Soon I'm going to be picking up a few semi modular Synths (a Mother 32, a Minitaur, and an Erebus), and I'd like to fill a single 3Ux104 skiff with modules that would be a good complementary supplement to them, functionally and audibly.

A few of the modules being discussed recently seem like a great start (notably the Rubicon VCOs and Batumi LFOs... powerful, flexible, and lots of CV options), and I want a Maths and one of the Morpheus Z-Plane units, and the CP3 to blend Oscillators.

Hre's what I have planned so far - what 24hp would you add to these (which, with the Semi Modulars, will have to suffice for months before I can add to it or build any DIYs)?

Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Soon I'm going to be picking up a few semi modular Synths (a Mother 32, a Minitaur, and an Erebus), and I'd like to fill a single 3Ux104 skiff with modules that would be a good complementary supplement to them, functionally and audibly.

A few of the modules being discussed recently seem like a great start (notably the Rubicon VCOs and Batumi LFOs... powerful, flexible, and lots of CV options), and I want a Maths and one of the Morpheus Z-Plane units, and the CP3 to blend Oscillators.

Hre's what I have planned so far - what 24hp would you add to these (which, with the Semi Modulars, will have to suffice for months before I can add to it or build any DIYs)?

Buy a bigger case!
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Guru

Hey why does that Maths look so different in that Modulargrid screenshot,^ is there a new version coming out with that faceplate..?? if so I would be tempted as the old one is uber confusing to me..
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey why does that Maths look so different in that Modulargrid screenshot,^ is there a new version coming out with that faceplate..?? if so I would be tempted as the old one is uber confusing to me..
that is an alternative panel available from Grayscale | Eurorack Synth Modules and Front Panels
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Here's the first demo of the Random*Source Dual Wasp. I also had to throw in the Neuron and Basimilus Iteritas Alter since they're new. The melodic stuff is AJH Minimod VCO and Mangrove through the Dual Wasp with a lot of modulation and manual wiggling. The "train whistle" is Ears recording a guitar pick into Clouds in Freeze, then running through Rings. (had to try this recommendation from the master himself - most people go Rings through Clouds) Perc is BIA and Neuron along with Delptronics LDB-2e for hats. Batumi, Maths, WMD MME, Erica Dual EG/LFO and Sloths for modulation. Batumi, Chaos Divider and SCM for clocking/trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post

I don't see the CP3 in there? If not, do you mean what could you get into 20hp? I'd recommend a small-ish 4 channel summing VCA if possible. You might also want an envelope that will provide you with more options that AR that the Maths provides. (although you can get more by triggering Ch 4 from Ch1 via EOR, but then you're using both channels)

You've really got the basics covered, so I'd start with that and wait and see what you're missing after getting your feet wet and getting used to your system.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

The CP3 is built into the SVVCF Filter.
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Sorry. I screwed the pooch. Completely forgot that functionality was in zoom mode with the Expert Firmware. I rarely use the zoom mode, so it was off my radar. My bad for speaking incorrectly.

And yes, the expert firmware definitely changes things up. I have to refer to the manual a bunch for the finer details of the different modes.

Zoom mode wasn't working properly for me prior to the latest expert firmware, so I never used it. I may have to re-discover it now that it's been fixed.
Yeah it's easy to forget what's in there! I rarely use it too, as it does make things more complicated, but luckily the 'unavoidable' changes are for the better and you don't need to use all the obscure zoom functions if you don't want to.

I've been a bit burnt out lately on checking cheat sheets every five minutes.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

My SEM oscillators are nice, but lack a feature i value on my Dominion or on other synths. Its the switch to change octaves up or down (32'', 16'', 8'',..etc. dont know the english word for it).

I would like to add this feature to my TVS via Eurorack. Given my lack of english technical language, i was not able to find a module on the grid to provide what i am looking for. How can i approach this? An octaver and a switch?

I am open to any ideas, DIY or assembled. It should be able to control all 4 SEM oscillators on my two voice individually.

Thanks for the help
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
My SEM oscillators are nice, but lack a feature i value on my Dominion or on other synths. Its the switch to change octaves up or down (32'', 16'', 8'',..etc. dont know the english word for it).

I would like to add this feature to my TVS via Eurorack. Given my lack of english technical language, i was not able to find a module on the grid to provide what i am looking for. How can i approach this? An octaver and a switch?

I am open to any ideas, DIY or assembled. It should be able to control all 4 SEM oscillators on my two voice individually.

Thanks for the help
a module called beasties chalkboard will do this I believe, also SSF/WMD have an osc that has octave switching on the front panel..

Old 12th February 2017
Gear Guru

uhhm..
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-dsc_9757_zpszxtbehgz.jpeg  
Old 12th February 2017
I know this probably isn't a common or popular view, but I think Euro is so small and fiddly that it would be so hard to work on a system that large and dense.
If I had that amount of money invested in Euro, I would probably liquidate it and invest the money in a larger format modular.
I'm trying to work with a smaller Euro, mostly incorporating modules that aren't available in larger formats.
I have a couple of the Mini-Mod modules and they are fantastic.
If I was trying to recreate a Moog modular though, I would go with 5U sized modules. If I was trying to recreate Serge and Buchla, I would go with full sized Serge and Buchla, not small Euro equivalents.
Price is key here of course. Serge and Buchla are expensive, but if you are going to have thousands invested in Serge and Buchla Eurorack, you might as well just buy the bigger Serge and Buchla.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for the help
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Guru

I like euros size, I find the 5U stuff a bit too big and the power is huge compared to euro, I would like to see euro modules made more robust and have covers over the back like the RiDrum module has, that module is perfectly built imo, I'd like to see the backs of all euro encased or have cases that could come off. Having said a format slightly bigger than euro and slightly smaller than 5U would be sweet..
Old 12th February 2017
I like Euro too.
The enormo systems have diminished returns IMO, compared to the same amount of money invested in a larger format.
I don't think Serge or Buchla are that big, although I agree 5U can very quickly fill a room.
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Guru

yeah I can't see the practicality of such a massive system, way way too distracting for me, unless you were doing sound creation everyday for a living for movies or something, then sure walk up to that all day and start making noise, but as a studio tool it's far too expansive imo, interesting there aren't many patch cables patched in, funny the bigger systems the less cables you tend to see..I think sometimes these things are done by collectors who collect for collectors sake..there are quite a few synth/keyboard collectors on this site who only collect and don't use..
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
uhhm..
wow that's going towards too much

It's ok if every time you only use a chunk/selection of pieces... same way as in an hardware studio you use a different selection of hardware synths per song.. .

But immagine wanting to use all of it every time, how long it would take to tune all of it before you can start
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
wow that's going towards too much
.. going towards?
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
a module called beasties chalkboard will do this I believe
Thanks Fiddlestickz.

This seems to be exactly what i am looking for.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-bu...t-s-chalkboard
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah I can't see the practicality of such a massive system, way way too distracting for me, unless you were doing sound creation everyday for a living for movies or something, then sure walk up to that all day and start making noise, but as a studio tool it's far too expansive imo, interesting there aren't many patch cables patched in, funny the bigger systems the less cables you tend to see..I think sometimes these things are done by collectors who collect for collectors sake..there are quite a few synth/keyboard collectors on this site who only collect and don't use..
I'm 99% sure that's Cyrus Rex's rig. I'm not sure if he does sound design for films or anything, but he's definitely a working professional and not just a bedroom hobbyist, so there's a least some justification for such a massive rig.

https://vimeo.com/101273635
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search