The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I dont unterstand why you would want to replace your 5u with something close.

If it was to realize something very different, i would understand it better.

Why not just get some jack to mini jack conversion modules and be done with it? Or cheap adapter plugs..

Just for the sake of having only 1 system is not eough reason to go thru this hassle, imo.

Especially since you seem to like the sound of your 5u Osc better than possible replacements.
Because it's on the wrong side of my chair.

...I'm only half kidding with that. I do hate its location. The Eurobeast and the patchbays are all on the left of me, and the DotCom is on the right. But this leads to one of my biggest beefs with 5u: I can't really put it anywhere else because it's just too damn big. In the above example (which probably isn't going to happen because as much as I love EMW, I really have no idea what one of their 'normal' oscillators even sounds like,) that's all packed into 9u. That system has more functionality than my DotCom. My DotCom on the other hand is spread across two 20u racks. That is a WHOLE lot of space there. I could easily stick that EMW east coast rack into less than half of one of these racks, and have 27u for even more zaniness.

Patching it isn't nearly as fun either. Not only are the jacks really freaking tight (like seriously, my whole rack MOVES when I go to unplug a patch cable) but the cables are so much thicker, they get in the way, and I dislike those giant ass knobs. I could patch the two systems together, but that's a bunch of adaptor cables going back and forth. With me being right in the middle of it, I basically have to patch around my body. If I'm patching and I suddenly have to take a dump, I'm just going to have to crap my pants because I'm patched in at that point.

Also, I feel that DotCom is more expensive than it's really worth. The oscillators of course are a huge exception because that is a lot of functionality and tone for $225 a pop, but $100 ADSR's? $100 VCA's when you can get two in one Euro module for less than that? $60 for a passive mult? Plus, he charges a good chunk of change for shipping, and since I happen to have the misfortune of living in the same state as the company, I get an 8.25% markup on top of that for taxes. When I started this system back in Las Vegas, shipping wasn't any more than it is living in the same state as him, so there's no compensation for that tax. I added it up once and if I parted out the DotCom at the current value for each module, it comes up to over four grand. That's a ton of euro right there. That's enough to get that made up EMW system and have money left over.

And, on a personal and mostly irrelevant note, I've found that the dude behind the company is a bit of a prick. That just taints the whole thing for me, kinda like with Analogue Solutions and his nasty emails.

Plus dude... one system would be SO much more convenient!
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Not at all. As I recall, I used the spacing right off the HEK.
It lives! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_2776.jpg  
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Nah. Modular is more fun than bitching. The 4ms QCD is a crazy beat maker. I looooooooove it.
You beat me to it, I have one of those on my list to get, have a couple of others before it but deffo going to insert one of those into my rig, looks a very handy module, and of course as soon as I get one they will release Pamela's workout 2 right the very next day.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
It lives! Thank you!
That turned out real nice! The 6U rack looks pretty cool in the flesh. It never got beyond concept with me but it's based on the 9U so, I knew it would work.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah. I am real happy. I contacted some local woodworkers at first, but ended up buying a couple of tools and did it all myself. The scrap made a decent temporary one row rack too.

I did a Tung oil finish on the 6u, while it was curing I had the temp setup

When I grow out of the 6u I may get another set of rails and bring back the "temp" or build your 9u
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_2764.jpg  
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
You beat me to it, I have one of those on my list to get, have a couple of others before it but deffo going to insert one of those into my rig, looks a very handy module, and of course as soon as I get one they will release Pamela's workout 2 right the very next day.
Dude it is so good. Maths clocking this thing clocking itself clocking Maths with a few drum modules is glitch paradise...
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Dude it is so good. Maths clocking this thing clocking itself clocking Maths with a few drum modules is glitch paradise...
I just want for all those lovely divisions, everything in sync at different divisions is what modular is about to me, I can get away with doing it with my Robokop drum sequencer, but then it takes away a few triggers for that duty and I can't simply look at a trigger and see what division it is, I have to change drum patterns to look at it, my modular has taken a slight detour as I sell off around 8 modules of late but it's got a better direction now with more unique modules and less doubling up.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
SE Tonestar for that 2600 flavor.
I just got mine...you have no clue how much i love this thing...the Filter...Milk!
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Yeah, I also vaguely remember that #2 and #3 also have different ranges.

For all you DIY'er, what's a simple yet "sexy" and useful module to build if I wanted to get over my fear of soldering? Thonk lists a few as beginner friendly or easy to build modules but they're typically mults and attenuverters, mainly stuff I don't really need. I'm pretty crammed on my current rack and only have about 8 to 10hp I could could move stuff out of.
I can recommend the Music Thing Radio Music. Easy to build due to excellent documentation, very good package (all parts come in labeled bags) and low part count. Very useful too. I love this thing and will buld a second one soon.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
With me being right in the middle of it, I basically have to patch around my body. If I'm patching and I suddenly have to take a dump, I'm just going to have to crap my pants because I'm patched in at that point.
If you can afford all those modules, you can afford to strap on some Depends before you start patching
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
If you can afford all those modules, you can afford to strap on some Depends before you start patching
That's just a crappy idea. lolpoopjokes
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Because..
Thats a good enough reason right there. Haptics are most important.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Ahh the good guys at UPS are fast these days ...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0513.jpg  
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got one of these, it's cool. I just have not been using my modular... damn it... didn't finish my DIY room treatment yet. Hard concrete wall slowed me down but I got the right tool for the job now... so... DIY work can carry on and back to modular ASAP!

Last edited by Hokut; 11th February 2017 at 07:48 PM..
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could use one of those. What cables are those?
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Just got my last module for a while, an Octocontroller. Unfortunately the damn thing came with the old firmware and is pretty useless in that state; it only supports a 1ppqn clock and the arpeggiator is pretty badly out of tune. An FTDI cable should be here tomorrow so hopefully, this thing will work out with the update.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 11th February 2017
Quote:
Just got my last module for a while, an Octocontroller. Unfortunately the damn thing came with the old firmware and is pretty useless in that state; it only supports a 1ppqn clock and the arpeggiator is pretty badly out of tune. An FTDI cable should be here tomorrow so hopefully, this thing will work out with the update.
How would one know which firmware they have?
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Guru

question..

are there any LFO modules that have on board attenuation...?
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
question..

I have all of these, but the Modcan is the best IMO as it has both output attenuation as well as CV attenuverters for its inputs, as well as tons of waves / shapes / modes

Modcan Quad LFO
Batumi
Maths
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
I have all of these, but the Modcan is the best IMO as it has both output attenuation as well as CV attenuverters for its inputs, as well as tons of waves / shapes / modes

Modcan Quad LFO
Batumi
Maths

thanks..
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
question..

The tap LFO on MI peaks has onboard attenuation on the top-pot
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
The tap LFO on MI peaks has onboard attenuation on the top-pot

now that I did not know, thanks for that that's pretty helpful..
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It shipped with a 1ppqn clock? WTF? That sucks!

Got fuses from Mouser today. Plugged in and turned on for about fifteen minutes. Nothing started on fire, all three modules worked fine.

For anyone with the DIY power kits from Doepfer, they take this mouser part fuse: 504-BK/S506-2.5-R. (I'm sure other 2.5A will work as well, I just used this one and know it works) This is Doepfer DIY power kits ONLY!
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
It shipped with a 1ppqn clock? WTF? That sucks!

Got fuses from Mouser today. Plugged in and turned on for about fifteen minutes. Nothing started on fire, all three modules worked fine.

For anyone with the DIY power kits from Doepfer, they take this mouser part fuse: 504-BK/S506-2.5-R. (I'm sure other 2.5A will work as well, I just used this one and know it works) This is Doepfer DIY power kits ONLY!
Asides from the fsck'd up clocking, the Octocontroller is pretty darn cool. Just wish the labels were a little more legible in the dark. I think I might just have enough LFO's now.

I'll give it a week or two, but still seems like my Doepfer clocking modules will still come in handy though. I was hoping to free the space up for a Polivoks VCF DIY build. I could always start filling up the now empty Mantis, but I don't think my credit card can take further temptation.
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I could use one of those. What cables are those?
Needed short cables to connect the switch with the A-138m matrix mixer to step thru its outputs.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_DE/EUR/...SYN0005703-000
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Asides from the fsck'd up clocking, the Octocontroller is pretty darn cool. Just wish the labels were a little more legible in the dark. I think I might just have enough LFO's now.

I'll give it a week or two, but still seems like my Doepfer clocking modules will still come in handy though. I was hoping to free the space up for a Polivoks VCF DIY build. I could always start filling up the now empty Mantis, but I don't think my credit card can take further temptation.
I think my Octo has the old firmware as well. For me it's not a big deal, I usually run a slow clock for wogglebug and PEG (yeah yeah, PEG can divide...but I sometimes like to run PEG at /8 of 1 ppqn clock tyvm). Am I missing any other features?

In addition to having enough LFOs the S&H CVs and Gates...I may have talked myself out of the URA, between the Wogglebug and 8 channels of Octo I seem to not be lacking ways to pseudo-randomly trigger and modulate things. I was originally planning to put an Octo in this case and a Trinity in the WC case but I'm giving consideration to just grabbing another Octo. As much as I'd probably rather have 6 envelopes/lfo/whatever (trigger responsive not just sync'd) I keep reading odd reviews about the Trinity, not sure all that fiddliness is up my alley; seems like everyone 'wants' to be positive about that module but 'needs' to point out various flaws...
Old 11th February 2017
This is going in the rack for sure after seeing the demo (last vid was just a quick patch), I could easily see chaining 2 of these together for amazing self-generating stuff...

Old 11th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post

Modcan Quad LFO
Batumi
Maths
Wait, what? Batumi doesn't have attenuation on board. If I'm wrong I'll be very happy since I have one on the way and all I'll need to finish my rack is an quad attenuator to pair with it.
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Wait, what? Batumi doesn't have attenuation on board. If I'm wrong I'll be very happy since I have one on the way and all I'll need to finish my rack is an quad attenuator to pair with it.
Nope, no attenuation on board Batumi.

And with its twelve different LFO outs, you may want a twelvettenuator.
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Nope, no attenuation on board .

And with its twelve different LFO outs, you may want a twelvettenuator.
It does, actually. Check out the alternate/expert firmware.

EDIT:

"The zoom mode changes drastically: instead of a fine control, it now allows to set four different parameters for each channel, including the fine control. The zoom mode acts only on the last channel modified; to select another channel, move its slider a little bit. When long-pressing on the mode button, the LED corresponding to the focused channel will blink.

Slider 3 sets the CV attenuation"

http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_..._expert_fw.zip
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search