The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I have all those tools and nothing worked, I've ended up sending a message to the module maker asking for 2 more knobs and the tool that tightens them cause this is just unacceptable imo..
That's a bummer man. I've bought a lot of knobs since getting into DIY and never seen a screw on a knob that the small flat-head won't do.

Hopefully you get it straightened out!
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Guys thanks for advice re rack etc.

Any advice re my 2nd question below about the expert sleepers gear and passing audio via adat

I'm also thinking of changing my audio interface as at the moment i only have an audient id14 after an ITB only phase and need more i/o.
One of the options was to get one of the new apogee element interfaces like the 46 as i have a new imac and could use thunderbolt. Ive had a duet 2 and the original ensemble before and love apogee. I was on the fence as the element only has adat out and no other outs apart from monitor and headphones. When i was looking at the best ways to clock from daw though (i use logic x), expert sleepers stuff looked really good but i also noticed the es3 and es6 could pass audio. My question is - am i right in thinking, if i got the element and the expert sleepers ES3 module that i could not only send cv out but also audio from my daw to process in modules like the morpheus etc or even other outboard and then if i added an ES6 i could go back the other way into the adat in on the element back into the daw ?

If i could use an expert sleepers es3 and es 6 on the adat i/io of the element it would open that option right up for me. Is the audio quality ok when passing audio via the es3 and es6 ?
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
That's a bummer man. I've bought a lot of knobs since getting into DIY and never seen a screw on a knob that the small flat-head won't do.

Hopefully you get it straightened out!
yeah I want it sorted because it's just appalling that a module with such a high reputation/cost should come out of a box brand new and knobs literally fall off onto the floor, still waiting for a reply from the maker.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Guys thanks for advice re rack etc.

Any advice re my 2nd question below about the expert sleepers gear and passing audio via adat

I'm also thinking of changing my audio interface as at the moment i only have an audient id14 after an ITB only phase and need more i/o.
One of the options was to get one of the new apogee element interfaces like the 46 as i have a new imac and could use thunderbolt. Ive had a duet 2 and the original ensemble before and love apogee. I was on the fence as the element only has adat out and no other outs apart from monitor and headphones. When i was looking at the best ways to clock from daw though (i use logic x), expert sleepers stuff looked really good but i also noticed the es3 and es6 could pass audio. My question is - am i right in thinking, if i got the element and the expert sleepers ES3 module that i could not only send cv out but also audio from my daw to process in modules like the morpheus etc or even other outboard and then if i added an ES6 i could go back the other way into the adat in on the element back into the daw ?

If i could use an expert sleepers es3 and es 6 on the adat i/io of the element it would open that option right up for me. Is the audio quality ok when passing audio via the es3 and es6 ?
The audio quality is fine.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
The audio quality is fine.
Nice one,

Crikey going to be an expensive run over next 6 months

Ben
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I have all those tools and nothing worked, I've ended up sending a message to the module maker asking for 2 more knobs and the tool that tightens them cause this is just unacceptable imo..
Take it to a local Optician or jeweler and ask politely to borrow a tool for 30 secs!
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

I can't keep up with this thread anymore
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I can't keep up with this thread anymore
Just do what I do: Pretend the rest of GearSlutz doesn't exist. There is no world outside of your modular synth!
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Indeed this is the only thread on GS where I feel socially accepted
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
<--Sucks at DIY. But I have one of these on deck for my next attempt.

Synthrotek has been blowing them out for ridiculously low prices and the part count is pretty low. I have a built Microphonie (the module that Sound Study ripped off) and it's a lot more fun than you'd think it would be. Sending this through some filters and reverbs makes for great sounds just by tapping on your case. I used it for the thumpy percussive noises in this:
I bought two of these recently and was pleasantly surprised that they arrived already assembled!

I have each one right next to an Intellijel Boombox speaker and have been experimenting with controlled feedback. (Kontacts to Blackhole DSP to Boomboxes etc)
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Indeed this is the only thread on GS where I feel socially accepted
It takes all kinds buddy. Even I don't get hazed here...and I'm the ultimate Gearslutz pariah. I use elektron gear to control my modular and I absolutely abhor nearly all Roland and korg products.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I bought two of these recently and was pleasantly surprised that they arrived already assembled!
Wow, that must have been quite the surprise!
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
It takes all kinds buddy. Even I don't get hazed here...and I'm the ultimate Gearslutz pariah. I use elektron gear to control my modular and I absolutely abhor nearly all Roland and korg products.
This whole love of Roland and Korg thing is pretty new. There was a time on this forum where it wasn't uncommon (myself included on this) to have a studio with none of the 'Big Three' in it.

The Octatrack to control the modular is weird, I'll admit. Seems to me like a very expensive unit to use as a sequencer. Have you considered 'downgrading' to something like an MPC1000? Never got into the Elektron workflow myself, but the MPC1000 (especially with JJOS) is just a dream. It's the only hardware sequencer that I really gelled with and have actually used to make tunes.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Not seeing a whole lot of love or mentions for the 4ms DLD in either this years' or last years' threads. I got curious after stumbling across Ben Hex's video and him claiming it was one of the best Euro modules he's come into contact with, which IMO is pretty damn high praise.

Anyone have it and have any particular issues with it or the functionality? Feel free to state the love you have for it as well.

I've already got a Moogerfooger 104M that I use as a send from my mixer, but after watching some more in-depth videos about it, it looks damn cool!
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey John, you're a 5u guy too, right? Have you found anything in Euro land that's as big and powerful sounding as the Dot Com oscillators? Been debating for months getting out of 5u, but the Q106's keeps me hanging on because I haven't found anything that matches it while staying in the same price range.
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
This whole love of Roland and Korg thing is pretty new. There was a time on this forum where it wasn't uncommon (myself included on this) to have a studio with none of the 'Big Three' in it.
Well my hatred of Roland is really based on this new modern line of stuff Aira stuff looks and feels like toys, the boutiques were a genius scam considering the system-8 was always in the pipeline. I'd love to have an SH-whatever from the old days. Same with korg, a bunch of cheapo sh1t for mass consumption with little regard for quality anywhere in sight. Just gross to me. I'm glad others have found uses for this gear but it just does not appeal to me on any level.
Quote:
The Octatrack to control the modular is weird, I'll admit. Seems to me like a very expensive unit to use as a sequencer. Have you considered 'downgrading' to something like an MPC1000? Never got into the Elektron workflow myself, but the MPC1000 (especially with JJOS) is just a dream. It's the only hardware sequencer that I really gelled with and have actually used to make tunes.
I guess maybe could see myself downgrading though...to a Monomachine or a Machinedrum.

I started with a Monomachine but it didn't have enough patterns and there are no replacement boards for the SFX-6 so I sold it to get my Octatrack. The Octatrack is the gift that keeps on giving. I've been learning new **** on it for years and loving every minute of it. I am addicted to the Elektron workflow...so no, I have never considered downgrading really but i would add both of the old boxes to my setup if I weren't so strung out on modules right now. The elektron thing is impossible for people to understand if they don't just get it (or are exceptionally stubborn like me), kind of like drug of choice, or ppl with kids vs those without.

The only sequencer that looks cool to me other than Elektron stuff is the BCR2k/Zaquencer, which I played with a little when I bought one for my buddy. That's a super fun live tool and it has a really robust interface. The new standalone sequencers coming out lately (Engine, Pyramid, Kilpatrick whatever) just do not appeal to my music making sensibility the same way as 'trons...

Still wishing for an Elektron Eurotrack, but I know they will never do it. Cenk pretty much rolled his eyes when asked about it.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, that must have been quite the surprise!
Yeah, I think they were only $39 each and I assumed for that price I'd have to build them but, nope! Saved me some time for sure!
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Not seeing a whole lot of love or mentions for the 4ms DLD in either this years' or last years' threads. I got curious after stumbling across Ben Hex's video and him claiming it was one of the best Euro modules he's come into contact with, which IMO is pretty damn high praise.

Anyone have it and have any particular issues with it or the functionality? Feel free to state the love you have for it as well.

I've already got a Moogerfooger 104M that I use as a send from my mixer, but after watching some more in-depth videos about it, it looks damn cool!
I have an H9, Chronoblob, and Minifooger Delay otherwise I'd have picked it up the other day. Looks amazing but I can't justify it right now. Must...stick...to...PLAN.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey John, you're a 5u guy too, right? Have you found anything in Euro land that's as big and powerful sounding as the Dot Com oscillators? Been debating for months getting out of 5u, but the Q106's keeps me hanging on because I haven't found anything that matches it while staying in the same price range.
Oh yeah, I gots a big old wall of 5U!

Because 5U is my main love (and most of my money has gone into it ) I haven't really explored eurorack VCOs extensively or taken the time to do much in the way of comparisons with the ones I have. (and I only had a Q106 for a few months once but I thought it was great)

For a nice solid/basic eurorack VCO I like the Happy Nerding HM VCO and also the Intellijel Dixie (I've only tried the first version). I'd guess neither of those sound just like a Q106 but I've never direct compared. I own other VCOs too . . .I guess I should figure out which of them sound the 'best' at some point?
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well my hatred of Roland is really based on this new modern line of stuff Aira stuff looks and feels like toys, the boutiques were a genius scam considering the system-8 was always in the pipeline. I'd love to have an SH-whatever from the old days. Same with korg, a bunch of cheapo sh1t for mass consumption with little regard for quality anywhere in sight. Just gross to me. I'm glad others have found uses for this gear but it just does not appeal to me on any level.
Funny, my loathing with the Aira is for a kind of opposite reason. They released the Boutiques, and then used the same tech on System 8, only they aren't going to do the Juno or JX models, so you'd still need the Boutiques to really have it all. Damn shame as the Boutiques are DAMN close to the originals. The JX-03 really surprised me. Modeled it even down to the weird clicky envelopes and flawed LFO's. Can't believe they're not gonna offer System-8 owners that beautiful synth model.

Quote:
I guess maybe could see myself downgrading though...to a Monomachine or a Machinedrum.
What about an Analog Four? At least it has CV/Gate outputs and that little keyboard thingie looks like it'd come in handy.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I should figure out which of them sound the 'best' at some point?
Well, for science at least. Isn't like you'd want to use any of that to make music.

It's just been a pain trying to find something that doesn't even so much sound like a Q106, but is at least as big and beastly. That sucker sounds like pure electricity. Most comparable I've found so far is the Analogue Solutions VCO, but 1.) the control on those things is kinda limited (not to mention that it only has saw and pulse outs) and 2.) I can't seem to find very many of them going up for sale. There's other oscillators folks recommend as being 'as good as 5u', but the ones they recommend are in the $300-$400 range, which to me isn't worth it since I'd be essentially replacing a bank of eight $200 oscillators with an equivalent that could cost as much as twice as much.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

EMW fanboi-ism. What think? None of their fun digital stuff, just an idea as a potential replacement for a DotCom system should I actually commit to doing it.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, at $225 the Synthesizers.com Q106 VCO is hard to beat in any format!
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an H9, Chronoblob, and Minifooger Delay otherwise I'd have picked it up the other day. Looks amazing but I can't justify it right now. Must...stick...to...PLAN.
Good idea my man! Sticking to the plan is a good thing.

I'd originally thought the same, but this looks to be a lot more than merely a delay module upon further investigation. It can actually be used as a flat out looper or looper pedal, and almost sample like in that you can scrub through the sampled time...a la freeze on Clouds and scrubbing through that.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

EMW fanboi-ism. What think? None of their fun digital stuff, just an idea as a potential replacement for a DotCom system should I actually commit to doing it.
I dont unterstand why you would want to replace your 5u with something close.

If it was to realize something very different, i would understand it better.

Why not just get some jack to mini jack conversion modules and be done with it? Or cheap adapter plugs..

Just for the sake of having only 1 system is not eough reason to go thru this hassle, imo.

Especially since you seem to like the sound of your 5u Osc better than possible replacements.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I love EMW and have quite a bit, and am always intrigued by the possibilities of an all EMW set, but that scares me. Maybe half as much of the standard stuff and then half the rack of the weird.
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
What about an Analog Four? At least it has CV/Gate outputs and that little keyboard thingie looks like it'd come in handy.
IMO of course, but the A4/AK was a nightmare to work with. I didn't like the sound and the UI is the worst one they ever made. Adding an extra set of knobs AND making the screen smaller was a huge mistake as far as I am concerned, therefore my hardcore fanboism drops off at Octatrack personally. Plus not even close to enough sequencing tracks for my needs since it doesn't do Midi. Overbridge does not appeal to me because I don't really like using DAWs for much more than tracking, shall I continue?
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
shall I continue?
Yes.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindMachine View Post
I love EMW and have quite a bit, and am always intrigued by the possibilities of an all EMW set, but that scares me. Maybe half as much of the standard stuff and then half the rack of the weird.
I've already got a lot of his weird stuff (and intend to get a whole lot more.) This one is just kinda purpose-driven is all.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Yes.
Nah. Modular is more fun than bitching. The 4ms QCD is a crazy beat maker. I looooooooove it.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search