The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Derp- you make a good point. I'd be willing to pay more for usability, if it's doable in the space allocated for, let's say, clouds. And you probably know about that a lot better than me
Old 4th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, but those things are powered by four PSU3's to make it happen. If I'm going to double up on underpowered PSU's, may as well go for something cheaper and not so DIY-oriented.
Yeah, I think it's a philosophy really. More units doing less lasts longer and are more reliable than one overpowered "runs at critical mass" unit IMO.

For example, the Mesa-Boogie 400+ bass amp uses 12 power tubes and 4 preamp tubes. This could easily be accomplished with 4 power tubes and only 1 or 2 preamp tubes, but it is a much heavier load on each tube, decreasing their lifespan and general reliability over the long term, like the Ampeg SVT (6 power tubes for 350+ watts). I have toured with both and owned them for years each and the SVT (fully maintained) ate tubes like Hobbits smoke weed, the Mesa tubes lasted at least 3x longer every single cycle. I know to some I might be comparing apples to orangutans but I think the analogy holds.

How much Euro do you have? Is it ever leaving the house?
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You guys complaining about Clouds being complicated have no right to complain anymore... I put Dead Man's Catch on my Peaks and wow is that a confusing interface! It does a lot so it's expected since it's only got five LED's, but it's still just insane trying to decipher what mode I'm in. I may have to use Cane's trick and make a little cheater card for it if I continue to use it with the alternative software.
This is what I'm using ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi3wla8hro...Sheet.pdf?dl=0
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Power woes again... Anyone got any solutions for power supplies that push out 3 amps or more on the +12 rail?
I don't know what the power supply they use are or if they are commercially available but the new Pitts cases put out a lot of amps. My structure 208 is 4 amps of +12v and the big one is 6 IIRC. There really aren't even enough headers in the case to use all that. My only issue so far has been with the AD DubJr2 but that thing seems to hate just about every PSU.
Old 4th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Thanks for that.

So basically someone could just buy whatever oscillators they want and a buttload of Peaks modules and have a pretty bitchin setup, as long as they could keep all that mess straight in their head.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You guys complaining about Clouds being complicated have no right to complain anymore... I put Dead Man's Catch on my Peaks and wow is that a confusing interface! It does a lot so it's expected since it's only got five LED's, but it's still just insane trying to decipher what mode I'm in. I may have to use Cane's trick and make a little cheater card for it if I continue to use it with the alternative software.
A couple of days ago I started using Mutable Instruments - Clouds and I am not sure why some user finds it complicated in terms of Interface. The icons for the LEDs are decent in reminding you what you are controlling
Liquid Drop = Dry/Wet (good icon)
Left Right ramps = Stereo spread and panning (good icon)
Loop with arrow = feedback (good icon)
Cube = Reverb room type of icon (good icon

The other icons for the Sampling Rate
Double smooth circles = Stereo 16 bit (good icon)
Single smooth circle = Mono 16 Bit (good icon)
Pixel double circle = Stereo 8-bit (pixel lines indicating lower bit rate - easy)
Pixel single circle = Mono 8 bit (pixel lines indicating lower bit rate - easy)

Load and Save functions are fine too

The rest is Named Knobs and Named Inputs

All pretty straight forward for the basic functions

Even if you go into the additional hidden mode...
Well the first one is the standard one, nothing new

2nd: Pitch Shifter/Time Stretcher (the second icon with left and right ramps works for me giving the idea of something that shifts/moves/stretches left and right as a reminder)

3rd: Looping Delay... hey you got a Looping icon.. easy

4th Spectral/Spectrum warping... well it's the last one and stuff can happen in a room to the sound spectrum = Cube/Room icon ()

So, as far as Default Firmware and User Interface within the HPs is not too bad.
Ok I go and now

EDIT: Of course I would not say no to more buttons and named LEDs or even display screen with text telling you where you are ... It would be fantastic especially if they could do without going crazy on price
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
A couple of days ago I started using Mutable Instruments - Clouds and I am not sure why some user finds it complicated in terms of Interface. The icons for the LEDs are decent in reminding you what you are controlling
Liquid Drop = Dry/Wet (good icon)
Left Right ramps = Stereo spread and panning (good icon)
Loop with arrow = feedback (good icon)
Cube = Reverb room type of icon (good icon

The other icons for the Sampling Rate
Double smooth circles = Stereo 16 bit (good icon)
Single smooth circle = Mono 16 Bit (good icon)
Pixel double circle = Stereo 8-bit (pixel lines indicating lower bit rate - easy)
Pixel single circle = Mono 8 bit (pixel lines indicating lower bit rate - easy)

Load and Save functions are fine too

The rest is Named Knobs and Named Inputs

All pretty straight forward for the basic functions

Even if you go into the additional hidden mode...
Well the first one is the standard one, nothing new

2nd: Pitch Shifter/Time Stretcher (the second icon with left and right ramps works for me giving the idea of something that shifts/moves/stretches left and right as a reminder)

3rd: Looping Delay... hey you got a Looping icon.. easy

4th Spectral/Spectrum warping... well it's the last one and stuff can happen in a room to the sound spectrum = Cube/Room icon ()

So, as far as Default Firmware and User Interface within the HPs is not too bad.
Ok I go and now

EDIT: Of course I would not say no to more buttons and named LEDs or even display screen with text telling you where you are ... It would be fantastic especially if they could do without going crazy on price
I agree. It's not difficult for me.

I think the issue some have is the different long presses required to change items.

Basically, single, short press changes dry/wet, stereo level, delay, reverb in most modes - differs with different parasites modes though.
Short long press changes buffer quality - short stereo, short mono, long stereo, long mono - but if I recall correctly even the monos have a somewhat longer buffer than the stereos.
Long long presses change the mode.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Thanks for that.

So basically someone could just buy whatever oscillators they want and a buttload of Peaks modules and have a pretty bitchin setup, as long as they could keep all that mess straight in their head.
That's sort of what I did at the beginning ... I've got two Peaks in my system. There's also 'Numbers' mode in Peaks which can be fun at times.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah, I think it's a philosophy really. More units doing less lasts longer and are more reliable than one overpowered "runs at critical mass" unit IMO.
I agree. My racks each run around 2.3 amps of power, so I'm trying to build in a buffer. The uZeus's are rated for 2 amps, but seem to hold stable up until about 2.2 amps. 2.3, I get a lot of crosstalk and the pitches start wiggling and then at 2.4-2.5-ish, it just shuts down. 3 amps I think would be ideal to get some overhead and keep the power supplies from running so hot.

Quote:
For example, the Mesa-Boogie 400+ bass amp uses 12 power tubes and 4 preamp tubes. This could easily be accomplished with 4 power tubes and only 1 or 2 preamp tubes, but it is a much heavier load on each tube, decreasing their lifespan and general reliability over the long term, like the Ampeg SVT (6 power tubes for 350+ watts). I have toured with both and owned them for years each and the SVT (fully maintained) ate tubes like Hobbits smoke weed, the Mesa tubes lasted at least 3x longer every single cycle. I know to some I might be comparing apples to orangutans but I think the analogy holds.
I get it, completely. Plus, I imagine that Mesa sounded a lot cleaner than the Ampeg. I notice with amps with fewer tubes, they get dirty real quickly. My Hellraiser can't do clean sounds at all.

Quote:
How much Euro do you have? Is it ever leaving the house?
After everything I ordered comes in, I'll be up to 1,932hp, though about 168hp of that is stuff that's either passive or powered from their supplies. This stuff isn't ever leaving the house. The thing is that I've looked at other racks and between the high expense (I'd need $8,000 in monster cases to get what I need), the space (not many of them go over six rows high), and the ergonomics (until somebody makes a Cheeks of Steel that's 18u high), my racks are the best possible compromise available to me. Getting more/better power supplies is really my best course of action.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I don't know what the power supply they use are or if they are commercially available but the new Pitts cases put out a lot of amps. My structure 208 is 4 amps of +12v and the big one is 6 IIRC. There really aren't even enough headers in the case to use all that. My only issue so far has been with the AD DubJr2 but that thing seems to hate just about every PSU.
Pittsburgh doesn't have any information on their site as to what power they're running unfortunately. You didn't happen to catch any logos or anything on the power supply before you loaded it up, did you?
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Clouds isn't as obtuse of some Mutable's modules, I was just using that one as an example. Elements is the one that makes me rage when changing modes, but in all fairness, he did add most of those modes after production and one of them is an easter egg, so I really can't complain. Just would be nice if you could long-press the trigger button for five seconds and change modes that way instead of having to remember what knob combinations are needed to get there.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pittsburgh doesn't have any information on their site as to what power they're running unfortunately. You didn't happen to catch any logos or anything on the power supply before you loaded it up, did you?
I didn't but I'm going to be moving stuff around this weekend after my order gets delivered. I'll peak around and see if I see anything.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Clouds isn't as obtuse of some Mutable's modules, I was just using that one as an example. Elements is the one that makes me rage when changing modes, but in all fairness, he did add most of those modes after production and one of them is an easter egg, so I really can't complain. Just would be nice if you could long-press the trigger button for five seconds and change modes that way instead of having to remember what knob combinations are needed to get there.
Agree - it's a real pain isn't it!
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Jean Michel Jarre Oxygene. I guess I need some more gear.

Old 4th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Vangelis Oxygene.
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
@fiddlestickz I just can't get your DMT Circus to stream,
i get the first 10 seconds then it stops, all other youtube videos working ok

re upload, I can't be bothered arguing with youtube...
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody using Tiptop UZeus ? any good for 55HP ?
For my Ammo case conversion i have this idea to get a UZeus,
Remove its front panel and use the panel as a template to drill 5 holes in the bottom corner of Ammo case,
then poke the power/switch/LEDs through the holes and bolt it to the inside of the case. Would be a tidy job.

Old 4th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Anybody using Tiptop UZeus ? any good for 55HP ?
For my Ammo case conversion i have this idea to get a UZeus,
Remove its front panel and use the panel as a template to drill 5 holes in the bottom corner of Ammo case,
then poke the power/switch/LEDs through the holes and bolt it to the inside of the case. Would be a tidy job.

I have 6u running off a uzeus. Only after adding my ornament and crime did I have to upgrade the included wall wart to something bigger
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

This track features the Dijkstar TK-09 kick, the DrumDokta2 handclap, a Falafular Snare8 rimshot, various percussions from the MosLab 1P, Yocto, a TB-303 line programmed on the bus back home after buying it, a System X Envelope & TwinVCAmp on 909 samples from the computer, Alchemy, a vocal sample from a TV moderator as broadcasted in '94
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

New fun discovery - running a mult of the output back into the Elby Wasp (creating a feedback loop) results in the loveliest grindy, growly distortion i've ever heard. Running the feedback loop through a bipolar VCA just makes it better.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anybody using Tiptop UZeus? any good for 55HP?
For my Ammo case conversion, I have this idea to get a UZeus,
I ran 6Ux104hp off of one for a while. Still have one running Mother 32, Tonestar 2600 and Lifeforms SV-1 in a little rack.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I ran 6Ux104hp off of one for a while. Still have one running Mother 32, Tonestar 2600 and Lifeforms SV-1 in a little rack.
That's pretty much the same 3 I plan to start with (have the Mother.. ordering the Lifeforms next.. and maybe a Clouds just to be weird). How's the tonestar? I love the demos I've heard.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I sold my Peaks and Warps due to the confusing menu diving.

Knob per function!
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
That's pretty much the same 3 I plan to start with (have the Mother.. ordering the Lifeforms next.. and maybe a Clouds just to be weird). How's the tonestar? I love the demos I've heard.
Honestly, I don't use the Tonestar or the SV-1 very much. I've had an Arp 2600 craving for a long time and bought the pair to try to accomplish that and it does sound good, they both do but, I managed to get in on the recent run of TTSH PCB/panels and will be selling them both. I did manage to make some R2D2 type noises and some gritty bass sounds but I've been too slutty the last few months and haven't dedicated much time to it.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Got my Ears today. Have only given it a quick, minimal play, but it's a helluva little module and on the cheap. I wasn't able to get much out of the first two modes of rings with it, but I likely just need more playing with it. The Karplus Strong though was pretty great with it. Haven't played with the envelope follower at all, but it's the reason I went with Ears over the Microphonie. Well, that and it can function as a pre-amp. It was working well with that regard. Rhodes into it with no DI and it held its own just fine. Playing the Rhodes into both Rings and Clouds can get some fun stuff.

Looking forward to giving it more of a spin....
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapedseams View Post
New fun discovery - running a mult of the output back into the Elby Wasp (creating a feedback loop) results in the loveliest grindy, growly distortion i've ever heard. Running the feedback loop through a bipolar VCA just makes it better.
try doing that on a fixed architecture synth..
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Already made up my mind, my first module of 2017 will be the WMD PDO mk2. Unless a Mangrove gets thrown my way. But PDO mk2 is a definite.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Got my Ears today. Have only given it a quick, minimal play, but it's a helluva little module and on the cheap. I wasn't able to get much out of the first two modes of rings with it, but I likely just need more playing with it. The Karplus Strong though was pretty great with it. Haven't played with the envelope follower at all, but it's the reason I went with Ears over the Microphonie. Well, that and it can function as a pre-amp. It was working well with that regard. Rhodes into it with no DI and it held its own just fine. Playing the Rhodes into both Rings and Clouds can get some fun stuff.

Looking forward to giving it more of a spin....
Got my ears yesterday too! I am enjoying the env follower alot. While the contact mic is good fun the input is the most useful for me - running all sorts of sounds through it, into rings, into clouds... Such good value for a module.
Old 5th January 2017
this weird bassdrum module video passed by in my youtube feed.
I don't think it's been discussed before. It's version 2, supposed to be easier to control.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote from muffs. Looks like there are 2 different PSU used.

Quote:
i emailed pittsburgh modular about it just to make sure, and they said that my unit was manufactured during a shortage of the Haitaik psu's- so they substituted with a more expensive Hengfu HF60W-SL-12..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search