The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Stupid question #2 (of many to come).

Is there a way to simply have a module with a knob that controls CV output? Like.. an attenuverter with no input?

Think of it like mapping a CC# to a slider on a MIDI controller.. just a knob that controls output of -5 to +5 or something like that?

I was thinking that a VCA or attenuverter without an input may do it? Does my question even make sense?
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post

Is there a way to simply have a module with a knob that controls CV output? Like.. an attenuverter with no input?

Think of it like mapping a CC# to a slider on a MIDI controller.. just a knob that controls output of -5 to +5 or something like that?

I was thinking that a VCA or attenuverter without an input may do it? Does my question even make sense?
Maths does this as does my WMD SPO attenuverter.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Maths does this as does my WMD SPO attenuverter.
Thanks.. I assume the attenuverter section in maths?
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I also vaguely remember that #2 and #3 also have different ranges.

For all you DIY'er, what's a simple yet "sexy" and useful module to build if I wanted to get over my fear of soldering? Thonk lists a few as beginner friendly or easy to build modules but they're typically mults and attenuverters, mainly stuff I don't really need. I'm pretty crammed on my current rack and only have about 8 to 10hp I could could move stuff out of.

Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

You want an offset module

Quote:
Chs 2 & 3, besides providing attenuversion of signals on those channels, also produce offset if nothing is plugged into those channels. Just take the channel out and the knob provides the offset value.

Quote:
I believe Ch 2 is -5 to +5 while Ch 3 is -10 to +10. Either that or vice versa.

Quote:
For all you DIY'er, what's a simple yet "sexy" and useful module to build if I wanted to get over my fear of soldering? Thonk lists a few as beginner friendly or easy to build modules but they're typically mults and attenuverters, mainly stuff I don't really need. I'm pretty crammed on my current rack and only have about 8 to 10hp I could could move stuff out of.
RYO Airtennuators are about as easy as they get. Not really sexy, but cheap and actually crazy useful, especially if you're looking for attenuation.

The Befaco Dual Attenuverter was my first "real module." It's an attenuverter as well as offset.

Rebel Tech Stoichea for Euclidean gate/trigger patterns is nice and relatively easy.

A lot of people start with the Turing Machine, but that's a bit much for first DIY IMO. The radio something or other is another popular one if you're looking for sample playing capabilities.

Zlob Modular has some nice, cheap and useful kits. A lot of Erika's stuff is DIY capable - the Polivoks and Wogglebug seem to be popular, but the Woggle may have a PCB build issue.

Some of 4ms stuff is DIY, (RCD, SCM) but incredibly difficult to get the LEDs according to our own DIY jedi, @CANecreek. (and others as well) I did the SCM expander as one of my first five or so DIY modules. It wasn't bad.

Orbitals is a sequencer that's supposedly pretty nice and cool for a DIY.

Manhattan Analog has some DIYs for it's mixer and perhaps VCA? Those would be pretty cool and cheap for first module.

Synthrotek, Befaco, RYO, and Music Thing Modular all have some decent stuff to get you started on the cheap in case you mess it up.
Old 8th February 2017
Quote:

Intellijel Triatt. Just don't plug anything into the input. in Bipolar it does -5 to +5, in uni 0-10.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You want an offset module

Chs 2 & 3, besides providing attenuversion of signals on those channels, also produce offset if nothing is plugged into those channels. Just take the channel out and the knob provides the offset value.

I believe Ch 2 is -5 to +5 while Ch 3 is -10 to +10. Either that or vice versa.

RYO Airtennuators are about as easy as they get. Not really sexy, but cheap and actually crazy useful, especially if you're looking for attenuation.

The Befaco Dual Attenuverter was my first "real module." It's an attenuverter as well as offset.

Rebel Tech Stoichea for Euclidean gate/trigger patterns is nice and relatively easy.

A lot of people start with the Turing Machine, but that's a bit much for first DIY IMO. The radio something or other is another popular one if you're looking for sample playing capabilities.

Zlob Modular has some nice, cheap and useful kits. A lot of Erika's stuff is DIY capable - the Polivoks and Wogglebug seem to be popular, but the Woggle may have a PCB build issue.

Some of 4ms stuff is DIY, (RCD, SCM) but incredibly difficult to get the LEDs according to our own DIY jedi, @CANecreek. (and others as well) I did the SCM expander as one of my first five or so DIY modules. It wasn't bad.

Orbitals is a sequencer that's supposedly pretty nice and cool for a DIY.

Manhattan Analog has some DIYs for it's mixer and perhaps VCA? Those would be pretty cool and cheap for first module.

Synthrotek, Befaco, RYO, and Music Thing Modular all have some decent stuff to get you started on the cheap in case you mess it up.
Actually, that Polivoks VCF looks like an idea. Only about $70 if I source the full kit and no SMD that I see.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:

You could always go for something non-Euro like the Arpie:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotc...peggiator-kit/

Great little box. His Le Strum is unique and cool too...
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes, many active attenuators/attenuverters can supply a bias voltage if there is no input. I usually use a Moon 525 or 592. Also some envelope generators can supply at least a positive bias voltage, like the Synth Tech MOTM-800.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Maniac
In the process of switching Blinds+Veils to Happy Nerding stuff, 3xMIA and 3xVCA on the way. Slightly better fit for my small system. 3xMIA is not a Blinds, but I think it might actually suit me a bit better... Here I go, getting all giddy over utilities
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Frist couple of things that come to mind...

I have the Erogenous-Tones Levit8 - 8xAtten/Gain/Invert/Mix Utility:
"Without any INPUT applied, each jack is normalized to 5V. This means you can generate on the output from 0V - 10V (or -10V on the channels with an inversion switch). The bicolored LED are after the attenuator/gain control and the inversion switch so you can see exactly what your level looks like."

I also have the Intellijel Triatt:
triple attenuator, inverter, attenuverter, mixer and DC voltage source
"Each input is normalled to a DC voltage selectable via jumpers for each channel to be 5 v or 10 v. With nothing plugged into the jacks, each knob controls a voltage amount. So if the rear jumper for channel a was set to 5 v then the knob a would control the following ranges on output a: position 1: 0 to – 5 v, position 2: -5 to +5 v, and position 3: 0 to +5 v"
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Just had a happy thought whilst at work. Was gonna sell my uJack as I don't use it (everything goes straight into the DAW during composition to get Sound Toyed) but realised it will be perfect for running modular audio through my Rytm for comp, dist, verb and delay, with plock added goodness!

Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, that Polivoks VCF looks like an idea. Only about $70 if I source the full kit and no SMD that I see.
I don't believe any of the ones I recommended are SMD or have any SMD components. Once, or if you start looking there, the Turing Machine Pulses expander is a nice, small and cheap kit to get you some experience. The Meng Qi DPLPG has a couple SMD components as well. Both are easily workable though once you get used to soldering in general.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
In the process of switching Blinds+Veils to Happy Nerding stuff, 3xMIA and 3xVCA on the way. Slightly better fit for my small system. 3xMIA is not a Blinds, but I think it might actually suit me a bit better... Here I go, getting all giddy over utilities
Got the 3xMIA today, a very nice little utility so far! Mine didnt come with screws though, so hope you have a few over..
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

what's the difference between different 'core' types of oscillators? saw core, triangle core, sine core, hard core...
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The SoundMachines LP1 and LS1 module can be used in this way.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Head's up to anyone that was wanting one of the Aira euro modules at the discounted prices: Looks like ProAudioStar has them all back in stock now, and at the same low prices.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummel View Post
Got the 3xMIA today, a very nice little utility so far! Mine didnt come with screws though, so hope you have a few over..
Nice! I think it's pretty amazing really, 6 channel mixer in 6 hp, with all those extra possibilities.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

<--Sucks at DIY. But I have one of these on deck for my next attempt.

Synthrotek has been blowing them out for ridiculously low prices and the part count is pretty low. I have a built Microphonie (the module that Sound Study ripped off) and it's a lot more fun than you'd think it would be. Sending this through some filters and reverbs makes for great sounds just by tapping on your case. I used it for the thumpy percussive noises in this:

Makes a good preamp as well!

My last attempt at DIY was a Circuit Abbey Tik. It was pretty straightforward to put together and when I sent it to them to diagnose (told you I suck at DIY!) apparently, the problem was simply a reversed chip that I overlooked. So not a sexy module, but mostly idiot-proof.

...mostly.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
<--Sucks at DIY. But I have one of these on deck for my next attempt.

That board looks simple enough. The one thing I see in there is there's wiring, which can suck!

But yes, make sure to get polarity right on things like electrolytic capacitors, diodes, LEDs, etc. You also don't want to put any ICs in the wrong way. Resistors, ceramic and film caps don't matter.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Addict

I am now happy to report, further to my postings of a week or two ago, that I have an Ornament and Crime on order with expectation of delivery in two or three weeks
Old 8th February 2017
February is 4MS month for me.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Hi after some advice.

2 questions

Im thinking of getting a mother 32 or possibly 2 and buying the 3 tier rack and on the top spare slot having a couple of modules to start me off on a small modular setup. Fancy a braids, clouds and the new morpheus z plane filter. I'm thinking that would be a good starter and give me loads of scope to get a bit more stuck in than just a mother 32. Do you think a 3 tier moog rack, 1-2 mothers and those other modules would be a good start or would you get a different eurorack case etc ?

I'm also thinking of changing my audio interface as at the moment i only have an audient id14 after an ITB only phase and need more i/o.
One of the options was to get one of the new apogee element interfaces like the 46 as i have a new imac and could use thunderbolt. Ive had a duet 2 and the original ensemble before and love apogee. I was on the fence as the element only has adat out and no other outs apart from monitor and headphones. When i was looking at the best ways to clock from daw though (i use logic x), expert sleepers stuff looked really good but i also noticed the es3 and es6 could pass audio. My question is - am i right in thinking, if i got the element and the expert sleepers ES3 module that i could not only send cv out but also audio from my daw to process in modules like the morpheus etc or even other outboard and then if i added an ES6 i could go back the other way into the adat in on the element back into the daw ?

If i could use an expert sleepers es3 and es 6 on the adat i/io of the element it would open that option right up for me. Is the audio quality ok when passing audio via the es3 and es6 ?

Ben
Old 8th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Hi after some advice.

2 questions

Im thinking of getting a mother 32 or possibly 2 and buying the 3 tier rack and on the top spare slot having a couple of modules to start me off on a small modular setup. Fancy a braids, clouds and the new morpheus z plane filter. I'm thinking that would be a good starter and give me loads of scope to get a bit more stuck in than just a mother 32. Do you think a 3 tier moog rack, 1-2 mothers and those other modules would be a good start or would you get a different eurorack case etc ?

Ben
Hey Ben-

I'd get a "real" Eurorack case for sure. If you definitely want multiple mothers, then you could get a rack just for those and then add a skiff (small, 1 row case) of some kind. The reason why I suggest this is because you'll need a separate power source for the modules than the Mother if you go with the rack made for Mothers, like a TipTop uZues. This would work, but if it was me I'd go with a Make Noise or Pittsburgh skiff, Intellijel or Monorocket if you like High-end. But the real one true answer is buy the biggest case you can afford from the start, you'll probably need it.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I'd get a "real" Eurorack case for sure. If you definitely want multiple mothers, then you could get a rack just for those and then add a skiff (small, 1 row case) of some kind. The reason why I suggest this is because you'll need a separate power source for the modules than the Mother if you go with the rack made for Mothers, like a TipTop uZues. This would work, but if it was me I'd go with a Make Noise or Pittsburgh skiff, Intellijel or Monorocket if you like High-end. But the real one true answer is buy the biggest case you can afford from the start, you'll probably need it.
All great advice here. Especially on the case front. Get the biggest one you can afford, and don't settle for the Mogue case.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Guru

Can somebody help me out here, I just received a module and 2 of the knobs fell off when I opened the box.. they are supposed to be tighhtened with a grub screw of sorts, thing is nothing I can find fits that terrible tiny little hole, I can't see it it's so small, is it an allen key or hex head or philips of what is that grub screw head shape inside these bloody knobs..??
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Can somebody help me out here, I just received a module and 2 of the knobs fell off when I opened the box.. they are supposed to be tighhtened with a grub screw of sorts, thing is nothing I can find fits that terrible tiny little hole, I can't see it it's so small, is it an allen key or hex head or philips of what is that grub screw head shape inside these bloody knobs..??
Usually a hex or a flathead screwdriver in my experience.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Most knobs I've seen that have screws take a flat-head screwdriver and a tiny one. I've got a set of those little screwdrivers that you find in computer stores for techies, and they work well with those screws.

As to seeing it...well my friend, glasses or magnifying glass.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Most knobs I've seen that have screws take a flat-head screwdriver and a tiny one. I've got a set of those little screwdrivers that you find in computer stores for techies, and they work well with those screws.

As to seeing it...well my friend, glasses or magnifying glass.
I have all those tools and nothing worked, I've ended up sending a message to the module maker asking for 2 more knobs and the tool that tightens them cause this is just unacceptable imo..
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

I just really need to say I love the Make Noise LXd. I have 3 different MN LPGs and the LXd is by far my favorite.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search